IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Sybase Afaria [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Sybase Afaria [EOL]?
SAP Afaria is a mobile device management software product. It helps large organizations connect mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers to the company network, and to simplify the information technology (IT) tasks associated with buying, deploying, securing and maintaining such devices.
Sybase Afaria [EOL] Customers
Harlequin Sales Corp, Gameforge AG

Archived Sybase Afaria [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user365289 - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP Technical Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It helped our organization in securing our enterprise data on mobile devices. It needs compatibility with multiple platforms and databases.

What is most valuable?

Enrollment based on groups.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped our organization in securing our enterprise data on mobile devices.

What needs improvement?

It needs compatibility with multiple platforms and databases.

I've used it for two years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

6/10

No other solution was used.

It wasn't too complex.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product to implement.
it_user392715 - PeerSpot reviewer
Tech Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Mobile Device Management is easier because of a simpler and more understandable GUI.

Valuable Features:

Mobile Device Management is easier through Afaria because of a simpler and more understandable GUI.

Improvements to My Organization:

It has helped in managing and categorizing the devices and managing them in an effective way within less time.

Room for Improvement:

Improvement is required in term of nesting the groups and objects, we have faced difficulties in applying correct rules/policies.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

Implementation Team:

We implemented for our customer who own the licenses.

Other Advice:

I would recommend this product for small and large scale projects to achieve greater results.

it_user372411 - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Director - IS Project Management Office at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
​It has enabled us to package and deploy enterprise mobile apps. It doesn't have as many features as MobileIron or AirWatch.

What is most valuable?

Standard MDM functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to package and deploy enterprise mobile apps.

What needs improvement?

There were issues with Afaria not having as many features as MobileIron or AirWatch.

We used it from January 2011 to March 2014.

It's not great, but OK.

It's not great, but OK.

Afaria was selected due to owned by SAP and Accenture pushing it at the time, we did not have an corporate MDM or AppStore until Afaria was selected.

Fairly straightforward but took several weeks of configuration meetings.

Vendor team – my advice would be to do it in-house and manage deployments in-house.

Don’t pay a vendor per app to deploy, if you need vendor help use staff augmentation model.

What other advice do I have?

Check out all vendors and products before committing, once you begin with a particular vendor/product it is difficult to change.

System & Network Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
​Instead of publishing a web page with the link to the app, now we publish the apps via Afaria and we know who installed the app.

What is most valuable?

App distribution and restriction policies i.e. device settings, and OTA updated restrictions. Other valuable features are the ability to black list/white list some applications and thus selectively install the productive ones!

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of publishing a web page with the link to the app, now we publish the apps via Afaria and we know who installed the app (software inventory component of Afaria). We also have a clue on how people use the corporate device and Afaria also helps enough with the telecom expense management.

What needs improvement?

It should be one shot! But in the current state, you have to set-up at least five components, and if you have more than one server (we have one master plus four slaves and two relay servers) it means about 25 “installations” (about 100 next, OK, finish, cancel).

We've used it for five years.

I think it depends on what you ask for. If they involve their dev team, then they can take a long time to get you a final answer, but on average the service is good.

I've not used another solution.

The installation manuals are not beginner-friendly.

We implement for our customers in an in-house manner.

I'm evaluating MobileIron.

What other advice do I have?

It is not a bad MDM platform to start with. I mean, for me it is doing what i need. In any case, i don’t have experience with others, so i can’t compare it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are SAP gold partners and we resell, install and give support for SAP Afaria to our own customers.
it_user371319 - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer Enterprise Mobility at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
It provides us with email access control, which is important for both our daily operations and for the security of our email system.​

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

Emails are a basic business function that's essential to our functioning. Afaria provides us with much greater control over this essential function, which is important from both a workflow and business perspective.

Room for Improvement:

There are a few areas for improvement--

• SCEP-based authentication deployment for Android devices has great flaws.
  • Dynamicity in terms of deployment is where changes are needed.
  • DB schema needs improvement.

Deployment Issues:

It has to be deployed in combination with external applications and security deployment solutions. Otherwise, it's not as effective as it should be and any benefits will be marginalized.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable for us.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

it_user365292 - PeerSpot reviewer
Mobility Lead at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps with for device provisioning and enforcing enterprise level security for BYOD devices. The admin UI should be simplified to be able to add features/policies with a wizard like workflow.

What is most valuable?

Integration with SAP Products like SAP Mobile Platform, SAP Business Objects Mobile and ease of integration with enterprise security standards such as AD, Certificate services, reverse proxies.

How has it helped my organization?

My current organisation doesn't use Afaria, but organizations I have worked with on implementing Afaria typically s that are used to store enterprise data such as email.

What needs improvement?

Integration with app management functions like geofencing, wrapping, etc. Admin UI should be simplified to be able to add features/policies with a wizard like workflow.

I've used it for three years.

It did not support Oracle DB after release of v7.0, only SQL server and SQL Anywhere. Customers who have invested in failover and disaster recovery systems via Oracle Dbs could not use Afaria on such a large scale deployment.

SAP Support is excellent with their support of this product. That being said, the product itself is slower than their competitors in responding to changes from the mobility market (such as a newer release of iOS changing how the GUID works which happened with iOS7).

Afaria has superior support for rugged device OS's such as Windows Mobile 5.x, 6.x as well as Blackberry devices. In my experience though, customers who needed an MDM for BYOD strategy(primarily iOS & Android today) and who had discounts on licensing Afaria due to their investments in other SAP software were the ones who usually implemented Afaria.

Initial setup is straightforward with the wizard type setup files. The complexity is in the fact that you must be aware of all pre-requisites (like db authorizations needed, certificates and passwords, AD access) prior to running the setup. Also, some features only work during install even though the installer says it can be completed later.

Make sure to document every step of the install.

ROI is only in terms of productivity savings, such as being able to reduce service desk calls about how to install apps. Also, big gains in terms of securing enterprise data, most enterprises do not lock down mobile access to email due to concerns about accessibility of email to temp employees or contractors. Pricing is on the lower side for most customers who run SAP ERP/other SAP software.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you gather requirements and have a reference architecture with all the boxes you will need. Make sure you install a high availability cluster in a production environment, no matter how small the customer.

Sr software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It protects corporate data from hacking or lost/stolen devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the application and configuration policy.

How has it helped my organization?

Since it's mobility era and all data is in either mobile devices or tablets that need to be secured, Afaria protects corporate data from hacking or lost/stolen devices.

What needs improvement?

The installation is very complex and the price is very high compared to other MDM's.

I've used it for four years.

There were issues with the architecture designing during the installation.

It's been stable.

We have no scalability issues.

5/10 - SAP response is very poor for this product.

After installation of the product, it is very easy to use. It's user friendly and the operation and performance is very high. It's an SAP product so it's trustworthy.

Initially it was complex, but now it is easy to use. It is fully dependent on third-party software (.Net, SQL DB, etc.) which creates problems during installation.

We used a vendor team. The network architecture should be clear and check the prerequisites before installation.

The price is high when compared to others.

What other advice do I have?

The setup and operation could be easier like as other MDM products are very user friendly and easy to use, but the price is a very important factor.

it_user365325 - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Engineer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
It reduced the time it took to manage the application setting and other email/calendar settings.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features are those surrounding device management, deployment, application security, and policy management.

Improvements to My Organization:

In my previous implementation, we rolled out device management and security policies for 5000+ devices in a week's time. This greatly reduced the time it took to manage the application setting and other email/calendar settings.

Room for Improvement:

Parity of features/config settings across mobile platforms can be improved in the next release.

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

It's been very stable for us.It's

Scalability Issues:

It's scaled for our needs.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was straightforward.

Other Advice:

The Solution is robust and offers a limited set of feature. Prioritize the internal requirements and then implement the solution.

it_user363612 - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP Basis Team Lead at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It's made pulling and pushing data to the server easier. It needs to be more user friendly, and data security is a big concern right now.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is that it supports all mobile platforms -- Android, iOS, etc.

Improvements to My Organization

It's made pulling and pushing data to the server easier. This has particularly improved the process for employees in the manufacturing unit and the sales team to carry the application on their mobile devices and pull and push data from there to the servers.

Room for Improvement

There are a couple of distinct ways it could improve. It needs to be more user friendly, and data security is a big concern right now.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one year.

We had issues with deployment.

We've had issues with it being unstable.

We had issues when trying to scale.

Customer service is poor.

Technical support is poor.

The initial setup was complex.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Licensing is pretty expensive.

Other Advice

You should think twice before getting it.