SonicWall NSa OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall NSa is the #15 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give SonicWall NSa an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. SonicWall NSa is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: SonicWall NSa vs Fortinet FortiGate. SonicWall NSa is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 42% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
SonicWall NSa Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall NSa Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SonicWall NSa?

SonicWall NSa dispenses advanced threat protection using a high-performance security platform. The NSa series implements intuitive deep learning technologies in the SonicWall Capture Cloud Platform to dispatch the automated real-time threat detection and deterrence enterprise organizations need today. SonicWall Network Security appliance (NSa) series is best for mid-sized organizations to distributed enterprises and data centers.

SonicWall NSa series next-generation firewalls (NFGWS) combine two very robust security ideologies to deliver advanced threat protection to keep users’ networks safe. Boosting SonicWall’s multi-engine advanced threat protection (ATP) is their Real-time Deep Memory Inspection (RTDMI™). The RTDMI intuitively identifies and stops aggressive zero-day threats and vicious malware by investigating memory directly. This real-time process allows SonicWall RTDMI to be accurate, lessen false positives and discover and alleviate malicious threats and attacks. SonicWall’s single-pass Reassembly-Free Deep Packet Inspection (RFDPI) will audit every byte of each and every packet by investigating both outbound and inbound traffic on the firewall. By combining the SonicWall Capture Cloud Platform along with on-box offerings such as intrusion prevention, web/URL filtering, and anti-malware, the NSa series is able to block the most malicious and dangerous threats at the gateway.

Additionally, SonicWall firewalls supply absolute protection by executing complete inspection and decryption of SSH and TLS/SSL encryption connections - no matter the port or protocol. The firewall takes a deep dive into each and every packet (the header and data) routing out any anomalies, zero-day intrusions, threats, and protocol non-compliance. Users can also define unique criteria specific to their organization to ensure their networks remain safe. This aggressive deep packet inspection is able to identify and block malicious attacks, stop dangerous malware downloads, prevent the spread of infections, and defeat command and control (C&C) communications and data exfiltration. Protocols involving inclusion and exclusion allow users complete control to decide, based on specific governance policies, organizational policies, or government or legal compliance, which traffic is to be investigated for decryption or inspection.

SonicWall Nsa offers enterprise organizations the network control and fluid flexibility they desire using an intrusion prevention system (IPS), VPN, real-time visualization, and other advanced powerful security features, making it a popular firewall solution in today's marketplace.

Reviews from Real Users

“The features that I have found most valuable are the firewalling, which is very good, and the GUI which is very intuitive. It is easy to use and provides great security.” - Network Engineer at a maritime company

“What's valuable in SonicWall NSa is the ATP (advanced threat protection). It can protect users from malicious links. SonicWall NSa also has a Sandboxing service that is very helpful for us, especially when end users accidentally click on malicious links. Another valuable feature of this solution is that it is very useful for site-to-site VPN connectivity issues. SonicWall NSa has very good hardware. I also love that SonicWall has very good technical support, who are very knowledgeable, provide good suggestions, and they're easy to reach.” - Mohammed M., Network Administrator at Transgulf Readymix

SonicWall NSa was previously known as NSA 250M, NSA 2600, NSA 3600, NSA 4600, NSA 5600, Dell SonicWALL NSA.

SonicWall NSa Customers

Orange County Rescue Mission, First Source, Michaels & Taylor, Green Clinic Health System, Aspire Chiltern Skills and Enterprise Centre, UnitedStack, Faith Lutheran College Redlands, Celtic Manor Resort, Star Kay White, Air Works, Unimat Life, NHS Yorkshire and Humber Commissioning Support (YHCS), Hutt City Council, Mato Grosso do Sul, Nspyre

SonicWall NSa Video

Archived SonicWall NSa Reviews (more than two years old)

CISO at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable perimeter firewall with good support, but it is not scalable
  • "The technical support is very good."
  • "The scalability is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the SonicWall NSA as a perimeter firewall to control the traffic flowing in and out of my system. It is also a wireless gateway, it used for traffic shaping, mapping, and publishing certain web tables on the internet.

What needs improvement?

The scalability is something that should be improved.

I have been using the SonicWall NSA firewall for five years.

This is a stable product.

SonicWall NSa
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall NSa. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is not scalable. We have approximately 2,000 users.

The technical support is very good.

We also use the Cyberoam 320AI.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took seven or eight days to complete the installation.

The vendor's team completed the initial deployment for us.

We have a team of three engineers who manage the firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

UTM boxes are now obsolete and next-generation firewalls are the things that need to be put into place. Within the next three months, we are going to upgrade to a next-generation firewall.

For an enterprise, I think that I can recommend a SonicWall next-generation firewall. This is a discussion that we are already having with them. For small segments, such as a small office or home office environment, SonicWall is perfect.

President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
A reliable firewall but other options should be considered
  • "It's very flexible and meets our customer's needs."
  • "You can do zero-trust networking with them, but it's not easy."

What is our primary use case?

Mainly our customers use this solution as a general firewall.

Currently, our most popular firewall is Fortinet FortiGate 40F. We do have all the way up to 100's, but most of our customers are small, medium-sized businesses.

We have a FortiAnalyzer that resides on Azure and we're getting a FortiManager because of the new capability to roll them out based on the serial number

With FortiManager and FortiAnalyzer, you have many more capabilities than you do with SonicWall.

How has it helped my organization?

I wouldn't say that. If it has no impact on them, it's doing its job correctly.

What is most valuable?

There are no specific features that you can say are better than anything else. It's very flexible and it meets our customer's needs.

What needs improvement?

The Fortinet Firewall is not the easiest firewall to maintain, nor is to set up and configure. Checkpoint and Sonos are much easier.

SonicWall, from my point of view is the same category as Fortinet. Checkpoint and Sonos are easier to use, but they don't have as many features as SonicWall.

You can do zero-trust networking with SonicWall, but it's not easy. Also, their desktop anti-virus sucks.

I have been using SonicWall since it was Netscreen — which was years ago.

When you buy it based on the load that you expect to use, there are no scalability issues, unless you swap them out.

SonicWall has exceptional tech support. I would rate checkpoint support best, SonicWall next, and Fortinet would be third. I would give SonicWall's tech support a rating of 7.5 to eight.

The structure of dealing with them is good. Once you get through to a support person, the support is very good. But getting through, getting to the point where you have someone on the line can be difficult.

Overall, they're good at their job and they speak English.

The level of tech support varies: sometimes you get lucky and they're exceptional, and sometimes it's somebody that isn't that good.

If you don't set it up correctly, you are putting your customer's network at risk. They still haven't fixed a lot of the little issues that Dell introduced into the product line, but they're trying.

There are settings that if you don't set them correctly, you could potentially jeopardize your customer's network.

SonicWall is probably easier to set up than Fortinet.

The pricing of SonicWall is still in line with Fortinet and Checkpoint. Personally, if I were presented with a decision between SonicWall, Checkpoint, or Fortinet, it would be a no-brainer.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in SonicWall, consider checkpoint or Fortinet first.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

They don't have independent testing. They haven't been independently rated — or another way to put it: Gardner rates them poorly. Because of this, we can't sell SonicWall to customers as easily as we can sell Fortinet or Checkpoint.

SonicWall NSa
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manoj Nair - PeerSpot reviewer
Tech consultant at select softwares
A rugged solution capable of defeating advanced threats
  • "It's very simple to use and the support is great."
  • "They should consider upgrading the capabilities within the GUI."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I work with a software dealer in the IT security business.

I deployed SonicWall for a customer just last month.

What is most valuable?

It's very simple to use and the support is great. I am in India and they have a support office here. As a company product, SonicWall firewalls and their support has been excellent.

It's a simple, rugged product. When I say rugged, mechanically, it's a very rugged box. The same thing applies to Sophos also, it's also a very rugged box. It's rugged technology, it can take a beating and still be operational.

One of the greatest strengths of the SonicWall system is that they have multiple portals for multiple tasks, whereas all the other solutions have no single tool for doing multiple tasks. That has been one major advantage of SonicWall. Regarding the SonicWall box, you need to be capable of taking multiple loads compared to the competition. That's a very unique feature of the SonicWall system. They also have an antivirus solution that is tied to their system which is called SentinelOne.

The support is very good. The product is also very reliable. There are always new, frequent updates — nothing more or less. It's very flexible; it's ready to go right out of the box, unlike some other solutions which require a lot of training. The GUI is very user-friendly. Even if you've never touched a firewall in your life, with a bit of time and practice, you'll get the hang of it.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, they should consider changing the logic of how the rules are created. Everything is spread out into multiple pockets, so to speak; it should be more condensed. The technology is sound; I am not saying that it's brilliant, but it is very sound for most mid-range uses — it does a fantastic job.

They should consider upgrading the capabilities within the GUI. The way the GUI is configured for creating rules, I would say they should consider making that a bit more flexible. That would really help a lot.

I have used SonicWall NSA for three years.

SonicWall NSA is very stable. I ran my last box for 10 years before I switched it off. 10 years is a long time for anything. If it can run for 10 years, it's stable. It's money made twice over. It might not be technologically up to speed and it may not be upgradeable, but that's a different matter.

These boxes are well-known for the amount of mechanics and users they can handle.

The initial setup is very easy.

The basic setup takes roughly half an hour. After that, when it comes to configuring the rules and dependencies, with ideal conditions, I would say that it takes roughly a week. Overall, within two to three weeks, we were in production.

Roughly 90% (50% in the worst-case scenario) of the customer's settings are ready within a couple of days from the time the box is powered up. When you power up the box, you have to set the rules. So, I implement it, engage the rules, and then ask somebody to test some of the connections and give me some feedback. That takes a bit of time, but otherwise, it only takes a couple of days until the box is ready. If you want to push it, within a week it's possible to reach roughly 90% to 95% production — the rules and the performance have to be fine-tuned which takes a little bit of time.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend SonicWall for their simplicity of use, but if you can configure SonicWall, have a look at Sophos also. Sophos has put a lot of hard work into their connections and the GUI. SonicWall's GUI is slightly lacking compared to Sophos' GUI; however, capabilities-wise, Sophos doesn't have a lead over SonicWall.

If I had to make a recommendation to a customer, I would tell them to look at both products. I would push the Sophos box because it has certain advantages, technologically, compared to SonicWall. For example, they have their own antivirus solution — the Sophos antivirus solution. It's a firewall as well and the tool will communicate with the central cloud. From the cloud instance, you can control the system.

The Sophos gateway has got allied products, like SD run connectors. You can manage the same rules between multiple firewalls because they're all connected to the same account. Overall, Sophos is superior to SonicWall.

The first requirement of a paying customer, independent of their choice of product, is to check if the technical support of the product is locally available. That's the first requirement I would give to any customer. The product may be great but if the support in your geographical region is not there, then it's not worth it.

Take Trend Micro for example. If you're a customer of Trend Micro but you're not in the immediate support region, then what happens? You will have to raise a ticket and wait, but you don't have anybody on the ground to come to your office and do an emergency scan and raise your ticket, so it's a bit of a dangerous issue. I would recommend a product that has both local technical and physical support.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SonicWall a rating of eight.

Director of IT at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Easy to configure and maintain with the capability to scale
  • "The most valuable aspect of the solution is its ability to work like any other firewall."
  • "We still get phishing emails that manage to come through from time to time."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for just securing our users and creating a LAN through VPN tunnels. We use it to provide remote access to a cloud service.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to work remotely when the order to shelter in place went into effect in March of this year due to COVID-19.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is its ability to work like any other firewall.

The product is pretty easy to configure. It's easy to maintain and it works well with Windows.

There are features that offer 3G, 4G, failover, wireless, and things like that are very good. I'm not a firewall expert, however, in my opinion, the solution pretty much covers the needs of small and medium businesses.

What needs improvement?

Currently, I just have the basic modules turned on. I'd love to see how it works in terms of preventing more malware from getting through.

We still get phishing emails that manage to come through from time to time.

The solution could use a bit more security.

We had issues with the VPN tunnel between two sites. It wouldn't stay up. That was a problem for us. They need to fix it if they find it happens across the board to other customers.

This company has been using the solution for good three years.

The solution is stable. I've had one running for a little over 300 days without any problem. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is pretty good. I can scale out and add a firewall within a new office if I need to. If an organization wants to scale, they should be able to do so with no problems. Everyone working in our office uses the solution. Anybody that has a work laptop that needs to remote work from outside the office can do so as well. It's 100% used across the board.

I had to call support when one of my VPNs was failing. The VPN tunnel between two sites wouldn't stay up and they had us use a different security protocol.

They were very helpful. I found them to be quite responsive and knowledgeable. I don't think the problem with the VPN should have been there in the first place, however, that said, they did help us. I'd rate them, overall, at a nine out of ten.

The initial setup isn't too complex. My understanding is that it's straightforward. I didn't set it up myself, however, it's got configuration wizards to walk a user through. This no doubt is quite helpful and makes it pretty simple in terms of implementation.

The pricing is pretty reasonable. We don't find it to be overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The version we are using is NSA 20 or 60.

If a company is looking for a good product that's easy to configure, I would suggest they consider SonicWall.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. If we didn't have that trouble with the VPN tunnel, I would give it a perfect score.

Senior Manager Information Technology Infrastructure at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great support, reasonably-priced, and the VPN facilitates people working from home offices
  • "This product has kept us safe and we haven't had any breaches."
  • "Initially, it may be difficult for some people to learn and become acquainted with it."

What is our primary use case?

This product is the firewall that protects us from attacks from the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has kept us safe and we haven't had any breaches.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us at the moment is the VPN, given that everybody has moved to home offices.

It is easy to integrate.

What needs improvement?

Initially, it may be difficult for some people to learn and become acquainted with it. I have been using it for a long time and find it straightforward to use.

I have been using SonicWall NSA for about 20 years.

SonicWall NSA is very stable. It is refined and well-tested, and it has been around for almost 30 years. It's a proven technology.

Each model scales to a certain point. If you outgrow it, then you buy another version.

Nobody specifically uses this product but every day, all of the company traffic goes through it.

The technical support is great.

At this site, SonicWall NSA is the only firewall that has been used.

I found the initial setup to be straightforward.

The price is reasonable for what it does.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to get some training if it is your first time. It can be a little complex for new users.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Project Specialist at integra software
Feature-rich, scalable, stable ,and priced well
  • "We like the features, but the main thing is from a commercial and cost perspective it is very good."
  • "Vendor support needs improvement. The frequency of time and support should be increased."

How has it helped my organization?

SonicWall suits our business, also cost-wise, and commercial-wise. It is in a feasible range for our organization.

What is most valuable?

We like the features, but the main thing is from a commercial and cost perspective it is very good.

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Vendor support needs improvement. The frequency of time and support should be increased.

From a vendor perspective, we were expecting more support.

When we experience a technical issue, it should be rectified immediately. We are facing a delay with response and resolution.

I have been using SonicWall NSA for approximately eight years.

SonicWall is stable.

This is a scalable solution.

We have approximately 2,000 users.

We are facing some issues with compatibility. We have moved to the latest version.

Previously, we were using another version and the 5000 model of NSA.

It is fine. It is user-friendly.

It took a month and a half to deploy

We have a dedicated team here. They handle all of our deployment and troubleshooting.

We have a team of six to seven administrators to deploy and maintain this solution.

SonicWall is not an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this version of SonicWall to others who are interested in implementing this solution. This latest version is quite fine.

I would rate SonicWall NSA an eight out of ten.

Balaraju K - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead at 64network security pvt ltd
Reseller
Flexible, easy to set up and deploy, and the support is excellent
  • "The most valuable features are flexibility, ease of setup, and it's a good product cost-wise."
  • "There are a few areas that need improvement including the VPN, user management, and reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller who provides products for our customer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are flexibility, ease of setup, and it's a good product cost-wise.

What needs improvement?

There are a few areas that need improvement including the VPN, user management, and reporting.

It's a stable solution, we have not had any issues.

There are no issues with scaling this solution. It's a scalable product.

Technical support is excellent.

The initial setup is definitely user-friendly, it's easy.

It only takes an hour to deploy, which includes the configuration.

The pricing is good and we are satisfied with the cost of this solution. They provide good value for the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. The support is good, the product is good, it's easy to deploy and it can be done manually with no assistance from support.

Other than the hardware related issues that can be experienced, it's a good solution.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

IT Security Analyst at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly, easy to configure, good logging capabilities, and the pricing is good
  • "This product is user-friendly and easy to configure."
  • "It would help us a lot of SonicWall sent us more information about the latest updates and things that are changing."

What is our primary use case?

We use SonicWall NSA as part of our overall security solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This product handles what we're expecting in a box like this.

What is most valuable?

This product is user-friendly and easy to configure.

The logging is very good, as long as it is configured properly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the capability for full active-active mode.

I have been working with SonicWall for about 14 years, since 2007.

This is a stable product.

SonicWall is scalable. Depending on the size of the box that I have, if the demands increase then I can upscale it. These demands are based on the users and their activities. We have between 2,000 and 2,500 users.

The support that I get from SonicWall is good. They have supported us for more than ten years and we haven't faced any issues with them to this point.

I have not worked on any other platforms.

SonicWall NSA is easy to install. I have not personally completed an installation lately, but it used to take me no more than half an hour to move from one box to another. The box can be configured offline and then moved online afterward, which makes it easier.

I used to work on SonicWall regularly. Now, I am working as an IT analyst and my job is to check the SonicWall configuration and test it. For example, I have to check the policy and then audit which ports are open.

The pricing and value are good.

What other advice do I have?

SonicWall fulfills our requirements and it does it well. My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to properly understand their requirements. As long as SonicWall meets the needs, I can recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Owner at it logic
Good stability but the pricing is too high
  • "The stability is better than other products."
  • "The pricing for this product in India is high and the fees should be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and we install products for our customers. It is mainly used in Universities, for corporate use, and in the government sector as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is that this is a one-time purchase with no renewal fees.

The stability is better than other products.

What needs improvement?

The pricing for this product in India is high and the fees should be reduced.

The visual process needs improvement.

Because of the price, our customers prefer PSA. The price is what needs to be addressed in the next release, it's the only that that matters.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

I have been using this solution for approximately 22 years.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable product. As our customer need increases we plan to increase our usage.

Technical support is good and it is available online as well as offline.

Currently, I am using SonicWall and Wildcard.

The setup process was perfect.

It was straightforward and easy. This is not a complex product at all.

We handle the integration for our customers.

SonicWall is a one-time purchase and there is no renewal license.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution because the price is too high. More than 30% of our customers prefer PSA because of the price.

In summary, the product is good but the price is too high.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Owner/Founder at team one consulting
Excellent stability but has a complicated user interface

What is our primary use case?

We use SonicWall as the primary firewall for the internet connectivity of a multi-site educational organization. It is a private multi-site wide area network for an educational institution with around six sites. There are currently about 3000 users in this client's organization.

What is most valuable?

It has excellent stability.

What needs improvement?

The filter settings are confusing and overly complicated. The user interface can be improved.

I have been using SonicWall NSA for a little bit over 10 years.

Stability is excellent.

Scalability is marginal. SonicWall is currently tied to hardware, so the only way to scale is with new hardware.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but I would suggest allocating time to become familiar with the interface.

I would rate SonicWall NSA a seven out of ten. I would like to see usability enhancement, specifically around the filters.

Flavio Soares - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
A very intuitive solution with very user friendly graphic interface
  • "User friendly and intuitive."
  • "Needs a more detailed reporting feature."

What is our primary use case?

We are end users of this solution and I'm a senior systems administrator.

What is most valuable?

At the end of the day, all the solutions in this category are more or less alike. They all do the same thing in different ways. I've found the best features of NSA are the graphic interface which is very user friendly and I also find the solution to be very intuitive. The product has more features than I can use.

What needs improvement?

The reporting solution from SonicWall is not the greatest. We have more than two firewalls and I expected we'd get more information from the reporting than we actually do. That area could definitely be improved. I've seen a couple of features on the firewall that I don't have use for because we're not a huge company, we're a 200-user company. The reporting feature is there, it would be nice if it was more detailed.

The firewall itself has the reporting tool. Obviously, it's not as complete as the solution that they want to sell because they provide it for free. It means that you need to get the software separately in order to get a better understanding of what's going on in your firewall. A good additional feature would be improvement on the firewall reporting feature without needing extra software or extra expense.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The firmware is very stable and I've never had issues with the stability of the operating system and I was several versions behind until recently. There were some minor bugs but that's because the firmware was not updated.

The technical support is great. I've never had an issue where I've needed to wait more than a few minutes for them to fix it.

At this office, the firewall was already configured when I started working here, so I only needed to make some adjustments. We have another office that we acquired recently, and I implemented the firewall there. The configuration was pretty straightforward. The graphical interface is very intuitive and that helps.

Our licensing fees are paid annually. It's on par with whatever is on the market. They are all the same, so it's not high or low. It's on the same level as any other hardware in the same category.

What other advice do I have?

If I knew what I know today and I was starting from scratch with a SonicWall firewall, I'd get a consultant in for some advice. There are a couple of tricks that for me it would have been nice to know from the beginning because there are some rules in the defaults that I would've been happy to have known before. I would recommend getting a consultant to explain how the thing works, even if it's for a couple of hours.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Shaik Parveez - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at commit
MSP
Good support and the different VPN capabilities work well
  • "The most valuable features are the VPN, SSL VPN, and IPSec VPN."
  • "SonicWall does not support DynDNS, yet this is an important feature for smaller companies that do not have a static IP address."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and SonicWall NSA is one of the firewalls that we implement for our clients. I have implemented it for many companies and currently, I have four or five clients that we are supporting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the VPN, SSL VPN, and IPSec VPN.

The port forwarding functionality works well.

What needs improvement?

The number of concurrent VPN users is too limited.

SonicWall does not support DynDNS, yet this is an important feature for smaller companies that do not have a static IP address. It means that if the IP address changes then it would automatically be picked up by the firewall and it will assist with site-to-site VPN connections.

I have been working with SonicWall NSA for two years.

SonicWall NSA is a stable firewall.

I have set up SonicWall NSA for smaller companies in Dubai. Most of my customers are small to medium-sized with between 20 and 100 users. I would say that it is scalable.

The support offered by SonicWall is good. I would rate them a six or seven out of ten.

I also have more than five years of experience with Fortinet FortiGate. I have worked with models such as the 30E, 50E, 60E, 100E, and 60D. I also have experience with the Meraki Firewall.

The VPN limitations are better with FortiGate. Even with the lower versions, such as the 30E, it supports 100 tunnels and 100 users. With SonicWall, you are limited to five IPSec VPN connections at one time.

FortiGate also supports DynDNS, which is an important feature for smaller companies.

The initial setup is okay and I don't have any issues with it. When you configure any UTM box, whether it's new or if you are configuring it for the first time, it will take some time to complete. Once you get through it for the first time, it is much easier from then on.

If you want to connect more than five concurrent users by VPN then you have to pay an additional fee.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good firewall and they would do much better in the market if they included support for DynDNS and additional VPN connections for free.

At this point, because of the restrictions with the VPN, we are recommending Fortinet rather than SonicWall. If in the future these concerns are dealt with, then I will recommend SonicWall.

IT Head at a construction company with 51-200 employees
It's a user-friendly solution, so I don't experience any problems with the device
  • "We have utilized all the features. The most valuable are the URL filtering by category, DMZ zoning, load balancing and site-to-site VPN."
  • "We also need to increase the throughput because the other devices are slower. The throughput will become slow. Since we're using VoIP, it tends to affect the voice quality. Even if you're using a quality service, it tends to decrease."

What is our primary use case?

In the main office we have set up a SonicWall TZ device, and then from the branches, we have set up a lower branch model, the SonicWall, and then created site-to-site VPN. We then deployed the VoIP between those branches to the main office. We also deployed the firewall and the URL filtering between sites and the main office. So, we just enabled and created the different DMZ zones from the devices.

What is most valuable?

We have utilized all the features. The most valuable are the:

• URL filtering by category,
  • DMZ zoning
  • Load balancing
  • The site-to-site VPN.

What needs improvement?

Because this is an old device, the throughput needs to improve. Right now, the only problem is that since it eight years devices had to keep up with the latest technology. Most of the devices are now linked to the plants. That is one thing that can be improved.

We also need to increase the throughput because the other devices are slower. The throughput will become slow. Since we're using VoIP, it tends to affect the voice quality. Even if you're using a quality service, it tends to decrease.

We're going to replace them. Since this is already eight years old, so we're going to replace the hardware but with a different brand.

We have been using this solution for ten years.

It's deployed from the main office to the site office. So, we're using site-to-site VPN between project sites since we are a construction company.

There is no problem with the stability. Since the very start, I have not experienced any problem yet until recently during the quarantine, but the problem is now resolved. Since the requirement is to have a voice quality, we're using a platform like MS Team, Zoom, and it does not perform well when using those applications.

We have around 100 to 200-people using it. Most of them are users. It's on around 10 projects or 10 branches.

We only require one staff member for the deployment and maintenance.

I have never called support. I only called when we first purchased it, if I had a question. I have not found any difficulties when contacting them, or just because I contacted only lower support. Then since it is a user-friendly solution, I didn't experience any problems with the device.

We used Fortinet and Juniper NetScreen, but we already replaced them.

After seven years or five years, the performance degraded. Then we sourced from our local suppliers and got a recommendation from them and er also checked IT Central Station to compare each product.

It's not hard to configure, it's user-friendly. It's very user-friendly. It's just the performance that's an issue because it has already aged out. It is already old.

What other advice do I have?

The quality and security support should be improved in the next release.

I would rate SonicWall NSA an eight out of ten.

Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good content filtering but needs better software and has a faulty DPI SSL feature
  • "The basic firewall rules of the solution are great."
  • "The product has a lot of bugs, actually. We are facing some issues with this product. The DPI SSL feature which is there, it is not working properly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a perimeter firewall for a gateway toward public internet traffic. Basically, it is a gateway between our internal network and public traffic.

What is most valuable?

Feature wise, the content filtering is good.

The basic firewall rules of the solution are great.

What needs improvement?

The product has a lot of bugs, actually. We are facing some issues with this product. The DPI SSL feature which is there, it is not working properly.

The IRL, when it was installed, had us facing some issues. However, as they kept on uploading the images, the issues are starting to get fixed.

They already have this feature of advanced capture, set rotation, and so it is a next-generation firewall only. They could improve on their software side. Their software, which is managing the hardware, it's not up to the mark.

We've been using our current particular model (NSA 5600, the most current model) for the last two years. The other firewall we were using, SonicWall 5500 we've used for the last seven or eight years.

It took some time for us to establish stability within the solution at the beginning. At this point, we find it to be quite stable except for the DPI SSL feature.

We had already scaled from the older version, the 5500, however, the 5600, is quite a new product. They have since changed the OS, so it ended up being a bit complex from the earlier version. The complexity is there, obviously. It's not that easy to manage. You really need to have someone with knowledge right there with you.

It is an internal firewall. All of our traffic, internal traffic, goes through this firewall only. There are somewhere around, at any point in time, 600, 700 users. We have total sync of 2,000 users, 2,000 plus. But at any point in time, 600 users are there, connected. It runs continuously, on a daily basis.

We've never contacted technical support in the past. We go through our vendor. We don't call SonicWall.

While there are a lot of options on the market, we only use SonicWall at this time. We have used Sophos in the past previously. We found that Sophos Firewall had more flexibility compared to SonicWall, especially in the configuration capabilities.

he initial setup was actually it was done by our vendor partner. And it was not difficult for them. However, during the initial set up, we faced some issues. It was not easy until there were image upgrades, and now those issues are fixed.

We've also outsourced the maintenance part of the solution's upkeep to our vendor. We only do the followup and we level call. Basic manageability, they do the operation, we manage at our end. Basic operations. But for other calls, we level call with the vendor.

We hired our vendor partner to do the initial implementation for us. We didn't handle it in-house.

I'm not sure what the pricing of the product is. It falls within a middle range in terms of pricing. It' not the cheapest or more expensive.

The SSL VPN feature, which is what we needed to purchase, is a separate license.

There's a lot of firewalls available, including Cisco, FortiGate, and Juniper firewalls too. There are many alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with SonicWall.

I wouldn't recommend the solution, actually. It's hard to set up and the stability takes a while to establish. They need to do better on their software side, and other solutions, like Sophos, have more flexibility in their configuration capabilities.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Stable, easy to install, and the global management system is helpful
  • "The most valuable feature is the Global Management System."
  • "Having to deal with too many lower-level people in technical support means that it takes longer to resolve issues, so escalating support tickets should be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider and SonicWall is our primary firewall. We offer this solution to customers as part of a rental program, as well as sell them outright.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Global Management System. This is the driving force behind why we continue to use it.

What needs improvement?

I have bee using SonicWall at this company for nine years, although it was SonicWall TZ prior to SonicWall NSA. This company has been using it for longer than that. I also have experience with SonicWall that predates my time here.

SonicWall is very stable.

I don't think that scalability is a pertinent criterion for firewalls because they're hard-coded by the ASICs that go into them. When we rent a firewall to a customer instead of selling one, that customer has an upgrade path available. In this regard, it is scalable because we can switch them to a larger model if they outgrow it. Otherwise, it's limited by the ASIC.

The technical support from SonicWall is good. However, if it were easier to access where you were not stuck in a queue of people and forced to escalate problems it would be a bonus.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution and it's doing the job we need it to do. By in large, we don't have any complaints. There are always things that can be easier, but it's doing the job.

My advice for anybody who is implementing SonicWall NSA is that you can't be an expert on every brand. This means that you should pick a model, learn it very well, and build relationships with the support people at the vendor.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Reasonably-priced and works well, but the VPN needs to be improved
  • "The most valuable features are that it is reasonably-priced and works well."
  • "I would like U.S.-based technical support."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using the SonicWall NSA firewall to keep our network safe.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is reasonably-priced and works well.

What needs improvement?

Over time, this solution is becoming more complicated, and when I need support it often is not available. I would like U.S.-based technical support.

VPN functionality needs to be improved. As it is now, I need to combine another SSL VPN with my firewall. I want it to be done very easily.

I have been using SonicWall for fifteen years.

The stability of SonicWall is fine.

I have had SonicWall for a really long time and I have had people help me to set it up, although I have always understood what has been done. As it has been updated, it has become more involved and more complicated, and things have moved around so I have to spend time finding where things are in the newer versions.

I have been looking at Fortinet and am learning toward it to replace our SonicWall. The main reason that I am switching is that we need something with a built-in VPN.

From what I have learned to so, Fortinet is more expensive but easier to manage.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

SSL - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
User
Weak firewall. Licensing mechanism is a trap. Woefully inadequate VPN clients and methods. Look elsewhere
  • "It allows us to block applications, i.e., websites by application type category. It is far more capable than content filtering alone."
  • "Support has improved dramatically since their separation from Dell."
  • "Setup is easy. Anyone with basic firewall experience can do it."
  • "The anti-spam requires a specific Java version on the server side (do not update it, otherwise it will break)."
  • "They are not ready for managed security services. Their Cloud GMS product is weak, barely out of beta (buggy)."
  • "Do not even consider NetExtender - probably one of the most horrific, nightmare grade Java-based VPN clients. We have but all given up trying to make it work reliably."

What is our primary use case?

Firewall/VPN appliance for SMB clients. Firewall provides advanced threat protection to internal hosts. It also provides a secure mechanism for remote access.

How has it helped my organization?

For the average SMB, this firewall does the job. Granular user controls, firewall and NAT rules that you would expect. Licensed features provide application control, content filtering, antivirus, and anti-malware all in a single appliance.  Be aware that their ATP is poorly implemented (stops downloads, forcing users to wait and click again).  Also be aware that the IPS/IDS, and Gateway Antivirus will do very little for modern threats such as ransomware.  We have had emotet trojans easily pass the firewall, connect to international foreign (and obviously) some kind of C&C without stopping it.  So little to no protection against modern threats, no HTTPS proxy as an option, poorly implemented ATP - it makes the case for a SonicWall very difficult to justify.  This vendor is frustratingly slow at adapting, evolving or improving their product.  They are unable to keep up with competition.

What is most valuable?

Application control: It allows us to block applications, i.e., websites by application type category. It is far more capable than content filtering alone.

What needs improvement?

SonicWall has weaknesses. During its tenure with Dell, it was severely damaged (its reputation, innovation, etc.).  It is now recovering, but it may take time to get competitive again. They are clueless in some regards, which is unfortunate as they have the potential.

CPU: The CPUs are not able to compete with a similar price point to the Fortinet, WatchGuard, or Palo Alto product. Compare with the need to get 1Gbps throughput with full security (common nowadays), you are looking at NSA 5700.

Wireless: What a disaster this has been historically. The new SonicWall will tell you it has been resolved and improved. It has improved - it actually works now, but performance is substandard. It is a terrible strategy to have a firewall act as an AP controller, in any case. Perhaps for an SMB, the integrated WiFi in their TZ series has a niche.

Anti-spam: Do not even consider it. It leaks like a shower head. What a mess that offering is. It requires a specific Java version on the server side (do not update it, otherwise it will break). In any case, a firewall doing anti-spam might be a low cost solution, but it is not your best strategy.

Logging/reporting: You need their analyzer to properly generate reports. This is an expensive, licensed feature, with a complex application or appliance back-end.

MSP: They are not ready for managed security services.  Their Cloud GMS product is weak, barely out of beta (buggy).

VPN: Site-to-site is another problem area - Client-based VPN is another hot mess. Global VPN client issues and mobile connect issues. Do not even consider NetExtender - probably one of the most horrific, nightmare grade Java-based VPN clients. We have but all given up trying to make it work reliably.   If VPN is important for you - look elsewhere.  You have to pay for licenses (most competitive vendors include this by default).  You will have 4 different methods, 3 different clients, 2 licenses and all of this to have a horrible VPN connectivity.  No proper or modern 2FA for additional security.  AVOID!

AGSS / ATP: This is poorly implemented.  A user will click to download a new type of file, and nothing happens.  They have to wait an indeterminate amount of time, and try again to see if it works.  It is so annoying, most clients avoid this capability, just nullifying the whole purpose of it.

App Control:  Be aware that either due to firmware updates, or bugs - app control will behave poorly (cause packet loss, or outright blocking) with normal and legitimate activities.  Resetting and re-configuring it is the work-around (super annoying).

More than ten years.

Yes. The VPN client connectivity and licensing has been a major complaint, especially during COVID-19

Yes. The CPUs are very weak.

During the Dell years, support was terrible. It has since improved.

No. We have always only deployed SonicWall.

Setup is easy. Anyone with basic firewall experience can do it.

In-house only. Level 2 techs can handle most tasks.

All advanced features are licensed capabilities, such as Advanced Gateway Security Suite or Comprehensive Gateway Security Suite.  VPN clients are licensed, and you have to choose a type of license you want (how ridiculous is that).

We have evaluated Sophos, Fortinet, Palo Alto, Barracuda, WatchGuard and now CheckPoint

What other advice do I have?

Avoid this company.  They have no idea what they are doing, except a slick marketing campaign.  They don't listen to their customers.  The only evolution of the product in the last few years was a slight redesign of the web interface and DNS proxy.   They will push their SonicWall "Capture" but this has nothing to do with the Firewall product itself, it is a windows based NextGen A/V based on Sentinal with ATP.

Alona Bean - PeerSpot reviewer
Alona BeanContent Operations Manager at PeerSpot
Community Manager

Bill, would your team like to share their experience with SonicWall on our platform? I would appreciate it if you could make the introductions :)

Solutions Specialist with 201-500 employees
Regularly updated signatures for IPS, Application Control, and Web Content filter
  • "With the deployment of the SonicWall NSA solution, we never suffered a problem due to invasion or contamination of any kind."
  • "This product is unable to secure access to endpoints for our external employees."

What is our primary use case?

Our operation depends heavily on Internet access and we depend on a solution that can provide us with productivity and security for the continuity of our business.
With this need, we implemented a SonicWall NSA firewall to control all access to and from the Internet.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution always responded very efficiently, delivering us:

• High productivity in our operation through access control capabilities;
  • Security for our information with advanced deep inspection features, including SSL traffic.

What is most valuable?

This solution has always delivered us security features with great efficiency like:

• Web content filter with a very extensive and always updated database;
  • IPS with an extensive list of signature attacks;
  • Anti-virus system with cloud sandbox that inspects 'file-less' attacks and delivers only after the verdict;
  • Real time flow inspection system;
  • Application Control with an extensive list of signatures;
  • DPI-SSL inspection in the data layer;
  • SSO with LDAP directory services.

What needs improvement?

The solution was deployed to suit all areas of the company.

This product is unable to secure access to endpoints for our external employees. Our next plan will be to deploy a solution for visibility and control of 'shadow IT' applications and also to provide security for accesses outside our company. We plan to use another solution from SonicWall, such as Cloud App Security (CASB), to meet the needs of our external employees.

Eleven years.

The solution has always been very stable and efficient.

My impression is that the solution is quite scalable.

Support services are categorized by the criticality level. We had a few critical events, but each was attended quickly and efficiently.

Before this solution, we used Microsoft Forefront TMG Server.

We migrated because the solution was proxy-based and did not have the features of NG firewalls.

Initially, we had to review our security policy and this was the stage that involved the highest level of complexity.

With the policy defined according to our needs, the initial configuration of the solution was simple, but obviously, because it is an advanced-level security solution, it must be implemented by a specialized professional.

The solution was implemented by our internal team. Our team participated in an official solution training prior to deployment.

This question is very relative as we are dealing with an asset. But for our business, it was positive for a short period of time.

In our evaluation, we found that the costs of deploying the solution, and also purchasing the hardware and licenses, were very attractive.

The ratio of costs vs efficiency of SonicWall products is very good.

We did not test other solutions.

Senior Security Consultant. at Ingram Micro Inc.
Performance is unique among firewall products, but it is lacking some next-generation functionality
  • "I really like the performance; there are no delays and no latency, which is a unique quality in firewalls nowadays."
  • "The cloud services may be in need of some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for this solution are protection and for a VPN.

How has it helped my organization?

My former company is a SonicWall distributor and I am looking to work with this solution in future projects.

What is most valuable?

I really like the performance; there are no delays and no latency, which is a unique quality in firewalls nowadays.

What needs improvement?

• The cloud services may be in need of some improvement.
  • ADR needs to be added to the portfolio.
  • Some next-generation features are not included in the product.

Approximately eight months.

This is a very stable solution and I have heard no objections from customers about it.

It is very scalable.

We have had no interaction with their technical support.

The initial setup of this product is very easy.

Two engineers are required for deployment and maintenance.

I have implemented this solution many times. Some of these were on my own, while in some cases I obtained the help of a consultant. The consultants are great. They are well educated and know how to use the product.

The pricing and licensing are the best part. SonicWall is great compared to competitors, such as Palo Alto, and it has the same features. Considering the market, I believe that the price of this solution is great.

What other advice do I have?

This product is not as well known as some others because it is not marketed as well as it could be.

My advice for others who are implementing the solution is to do the sizing well. If it is done correctly then there will not be any problems.

IT Services Coordinator with 11-50 employees
Simple management interface, although the SSL VPN client software needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a corporate firewall, and to provide security for the network while allowing connectivity between multiple sites. We also use it as a VPN gateway for multiple users via SSL.

How has it helped my organization?

Our old firewall was running as HA (High Availability) on two different but identical rack mounted servers. Moving to SonicWall allowed the company to move to one unit, yet accommodate more connections because it had sixteen ports and handled fail-over better than the old firewall solution.

What is most valuable?

Compact 1u, 1/4 depth size. 16 x 10/100/1000 Mbps ports, fibre ready. Management interface that is relatively simple to figure out.

What needs improvement?

I feel that the SSL VPN client software needs a lot of improvement.

Three to five years.
Lead Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Provides us with the content filtering and sandboxing we need
  • "Content Filtering and sandboxing are valuable features."
  • "The only thing that we would want would be single-pane management, which it has, but the GMS is not very good. It's purely the management of multiple devices for multiple customers, that's the only thing that it's lacking."

What is our primary use case?

It's for firewalls and content filtering. It performs pretty much faultlessly for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It does what it says it will do; it works and it's pretty reliable.

What is most valuable?

• Content Filtering
  • Sandboxing

What needs improvement?

The only thing that we would want would be single-pane management, which it has, but the GMS is not very good. It's purely the management of multiple devices for multiple customers, that's the only thing that it's lacking.

It's very stable.

It's very sclable.

Technical support is very, very good.

The setup is straightforward. I'm a fully-certified SonicWall engineer. I have had all the training.

What other advice do I have?

It does everything that they say it does. It works.

The most important factors when choosing a new solution are

• price
  • functionality
  • security of the device.

I would rate SonicWall a 10 out of 10. It's the only firewall that we predominantly use for our customers.

Network Administrator at N S PHARMACY SDN.BHD.
Anti-Spam reduces unwanted mail on corporate exchange services. However, after-Sales support and hands-On training facilities are not available in my country
  • "Anti-Spam reduces unwanted mail on corporate exchange services."
  • "Content filtering reduces the load on the available bandwidth and restricts employees from using distracting websites on the job, which leads to more productive hours."
  • "After-sales support and hands-on training facilities are not available in my country."

What is our primary use case?

The NSA 2400 is used as our edge device. We subscribe to two services.

• Comprehensive Gateway Security Suite
  • Anti Spam Service

How has it helped my organization?

The ability to configure the appliances for efficient usage.

• Content filtering
  • Anti-Spam
  • URL blocking
  • Bandwidth management

What is most valuable?

• Content filtering reduces the load on the available bandwidth and restricts employees from using distracting websites on the job, which leads to more productive hours.
  • Anti-Spam reduces unwanted mail on corporate exchange services.

What needs improvement?

After-sales support and hands-on training facilities are poor or not available in my country. Improving these will help users like me optimally manage and administer this solution.

More than five years.
IT Superintendent at a mining and metals company with 11-50 employees
Difficult to manage and a large number of sessions slows it down
  • "It has good reporting, the reporting is marvelous."
  • "The problem primarily with SonicWall is it's a Unix box. And it's all software, all the activities, blocking, censoring, everything has to happen in the software. If you start hitting the box with a lot of sessions it slows down and that's not what I expect from a firewall."
  • "It's very hard to manage this box. You really need a lot of skills to operate the SonicWall. There is training and the like, but it's just hard to manage. Even if you have the knowledge, there are too many options. The menus are not very clear, where you should find the information."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is Office 365, all our users have cloud-based email. The rest is business emails, business procurement, etc. And if users are on after hours and they want to see more, we allow it, but still, blocking is difficult on the SonicWall. It's not easy. We have about 300 users who go through the internet.

What is most valuable?

At the moment, none. It just doesn't do its task. Users, no matter how you configure it - and it's configured quite carefully in the sense of censoring - seem to be able to punch to the file. It just doesn't do its job.

It seems to have all the features, it's just not performing.

It has good reporting, the reporting is marvelous, but reporting is always after the fact and you want to be proactive if you're a firewall. You don't want to be saying “Ah! We had a bot running on the network,” while SonicWall itself didn't give that indication in an active way.

What needs improvement?

I have worked with this box for six months, and it's a daily task to manage this thing. You don't have to always have time to do this.

The room for improvement is to step away from the Unix platform. It needs to be a specialized system that manages firewall activity. You don't want to rely on two systems, one being Unix and one being the firewall. Unix is a powerful system, I have no doubts about it. I've set up Unix systems my whole life and they're very powerful. However, when it comes to dedicated tasks it's not suitable. That's Unix. Unix is general. It does everything. And by doing everything, it's not always as powerful as a dedicated system like a hardware solution, like Fortigate.

Less than one year.

It's fairly stable. In the last six months, I've had to restart the box about five or six times because it just didn't do what it needed to do. And after the restart it started working again. So it's not as reliable, in my view.

It might be working in other environments, but in my view - we have a satellite connection of only 8 megabits - it's very hard to control bandwidth on the SonicWall to allow certain types of traffic to have priority. You can't really dedicate certain bandwidth for, let's say, an Office 365 solution. It's all very global. And global makes it hard to manage on a slow link, and 8 megabits is a slow link.

I don't know about scalability because I have only worked with this box. There are probably faster boxes on the market. This box should be sufficient for 300 employees and my impression is that performance is suffering if too many people are trying to get through it.

The main reason this was bought was it was cheap. We all know that Fortigate is far more expensive. But, then again, it's more like the Rolls-Royce of firewalls. And what you can do with it in hardware has no comparison with any of the software solutions on the market. Yes, everything performs, every firewall-type solution, whatever you want to use, does its job. But you want to have a management-free solution. If you look at Fortigate, no matter how you look at it, you know it works. With Unix boxes, you never know. It's a Unix system and, for whatever reason, it can stop working and you have to reboot the machine, which is not the most beneficial solution.

I've used Fortigates. Fortigates have no problems if you start adding a thousand users, depending on what kind of service provider you have. A big difference is that it's global censoring on the SonicWall. On the Fortigate you can censor per rule, and that's a big difference if you are in a multi-user environment where you have different types of actions.

At my current company, this was set up at the beginning, when the company started. They have never had a different solution. They have another location with Zyxel firewalls, which will also be replaced with Fortigates. They all perform. That's probably the best thing I can say about them. What we're going to implement now is a far broader solution with authentication and everything else. At this stage, that is not implemented on the SonicWall. My fear is that if we implemented that on the SonicWall, we would have more problems. It's really not that flexible.

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are manageability and the features, and by features I mean complete management of the firewall.

The setup is fairly simple. That's why I'm surprised that this box is struggling. That's not what I would expect from this type of solution.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Go to your website, compare firewalls, not only SonicWall, not only Fortigate. Compare them for the task that it needs to run for your company. That's the bottom line. There are small firewalls which will suffice for certain companies. You might need bigger ones, you might need more features. So really, you have to do your homework.

I work in an African country, knowledge is something they are still gaining, and SonicWall is too difficult for most people to manage, versus a Fortigate where it's really a step-through and you know what you're doing, you can see what you're doing. You can't really see that on a SonicWall.

It's very hard to manage this box. You really need a lot of skills to operate the SonicWall. There is training and the like, but it's just hard to manage. Even if you have the knowledge, there are too many options. The menus are not very clear, where you should find the information.

Alan Chavira - PeerSpot reviewer
Alan ChaviraEngineering Manager at a tech consulting company with 1-10 employees

Hello Leen, great explanation. Just for curiosity, how many seesions your NSA 2650 manage?, How many ISP do you have and what speed?
BR

Manager at Smeja Enterprises
User
Port forwarding could use streamlining, but support is usually good when it comes to helping with issues

What is our primary use case?

I walked into a job where we had an end of life ns2400 that was a mess. Coming from a Meraki environment there was a learning curve on how to navigate the sometimes overly complicated user interface. Tasks I should have been able to complete in 10-15 minutes took longer and I bounced between menus to hash out NAT rules and port forwarding.

How has it helped my organization?

There is no Network Engineer on site, and there are too many piecemeal options to realize the full effect of the firewall's capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Support is usually good when it comes to helping out with issues. Once the matrix is learned, it becomes a much better tool, but the learning curve is pretty large.

What needs improvement?

Port forwarding could use streamlining. Otherwise, once you learn the user interface, the capabilities of the firewall are good.

Vaniele Ferreira - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at Techmail
User
Valuable features include the web filter, DHCP, and monitoring capabilities

What is our primary use case?

Our network has 150 users. We have two internet connections, an IPsec VPN, a DHCP server, a DMZ, WiFi, access controls and a load balancer, and two appliances with HA.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a good product, but very modular and with native resources which are much lower than its competitors.

What is most valuable?

• Web filter
  • DHCP
  • Monitoring capabilities
  • IPsec VPN and other security controls
  • Integration with the active directory and other security controls (IPS and IDS).

What needs improvement?

• Load balance algorithms
  • Resource usage graphs (throughput, connections, external accesses, and the possibility to export the content of the address object).

More than five years.

Additional resources are too expensive.

IT Supervisor at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Has high availability and stateful firewall capabilities

What is most valuable?

Since we have a strict SLA of 99.98% up-time on our network per year, (including maintenance), resilience is our main concern. It is a good thing that our very own NSA 4600 has high availability/stateful firewall capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had zero downtime since the deployment of NSA 4600 (HA).

What needs improvement?

I'm not quite impressed with their new logging interface.

I've been using SonicWall NGFWs for almost five years now. We started using the NSA 4600 (HA) in March.

There were no stability issues at all!

There were no scalability issues at all!

I would give technical support a rating of seven out of 10. Their follow up is good. However, if the agent who is handling the case is not around, your support case will not progress. Hopefully, they can improve this.

SonicWall NGFW has always provided the protection and uptime that we have needed. We never thought of switching to other vendors.

I've been with SonicWall since my internship. Although we have a complex setup (Site-to-site VPN, SSL VPN, Bunch of NAT, custom Zones and Firewall policies), the initial setup for a new site has always been straightforward for us. This was due to the available knowledge base documents throughout the internet.

SonicWall's Next Generation Firewall itself, I believe, is not expensive for the features and the protection it offers. Though the licensing is the big problem, especially for those companies with flat budgets for IT. My advice would be for everyone to avail themselves of at least three years of licensing to save tons of money.

We never had the chance to evaluate other options. But lots of my friends are bugging me to take a look at Sophos XG firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for a demo unit first before buying this.

Network Systems Specialist at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Because this is a UTM, we appreciate having a single pane of glass for a firewall, content filtering, and IPS/IDS services. It is much easier to manage and costs less.

How has it helped my organization?

In a K-12 environment, internet security is paramount and threats change quickly.

The main improvement for the organization is uptime and the ability to quickly affect security changes.

The second plus is the ability to improve throughput during peak traffic hours.

What needs improvement?

SonicWall uses a cloud-based database for content filtering. If the NSA cannot contact that online DB, filtering is handled one of two ways. Traffic is either halted completely or it is passed-through totally unfiltered.

In a K-12 school environment, neither is acceptable. It would be better if the DB can reside on the NSA and is used in the event the online DB is unavailable. Other than that, it works fine.

This product has been online for over four years.

On two occasions, we had a 10GB SFP failure. But because we have an HA configuration there was no disruption. 10 GB SFPs seem to be fragile. Other than that, the system is quite stable.

None.

Technical support has been very good, the few times we've needed it.

A Cisco ASA 5500 was used prior to the NSA 6600. We switched to a UTM to have a comprehensive security solution and one interface to manage it.

Initial setup was complex. But that was expected when migrating from three separate security systems into one unified system. There was a basic template for converting some Cisco's ASA command line instructions to those used by SonicOS. Most of the configuration had to be developed or cleaned up in the SonicOS GUI.

ASA has a much better CLI, especially if you’re used to Cisco IOS. SonicOS CLI is mostly used by tech support.

Initially, it was a bit of a learning curve, but the SonicOS GUI is efficient and easy to use, enough for our needs, anyway. Once network and firewall rules (80% of the complexity) were configured, content filtering, IDS/IPS and other security services were enabled with check boxes.

I recommend a 30-day test run in monitor mode. If you decide on this product, spend the extra dollars and get a second unit to setup an HA system. No down time during SonicOS upgrades or major configuration changes.

If you expect to operate at 10GB, keep one or two extra 10GB SFPs as spares, even though they are not cheap.

The NSA series has several suites available depending on your security needs. Pricing and licensing is straightforward based on the suite you choose.

We considered upgrading the ASA to include the IPS module and adding a second unit for HA.

We also considered PaloAlto but at the time considered it too pricey for our needs. As for as an online evaluation, we did not do that. Time and rack space constraints prevented it.

However, a trusted VAR (more than 12 years) helped to ease our decision to go with the SonicWall.

Muhammed Yasir - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Information Systems at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
We bought this device for Security and to filter traffic on our network.

What is most valuable?

Security and Filtering. We bought this device for security and to filter traffic on our network -- these features are working fine.

I think these are the most important features for anyone who is interested in UTM.

How has it helped my organization?

Security and Filtering.

What needs improvement?

Firmware. Sometimes the integrated certificates get expired and you need to contact support to get these certificates updated on your device -- to let all the services work properly.

Three to four years.

I didn't encounter any issues with stability.

I don't know because we are not using >30% resources of this device.

Good.

This is our first time choosing a UTM.

Complex in Configuring DUAL WAN and VPN Connections because of Routing Config.

If you need DUAL WAN and VPN Config, you need a network professional to set it up.

It's expensive but has worth.

Fortinet, Dreytek.

Presalesa8b7 - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales Manager
Valuable features include SSL VPN and Application Control.

What is most valuable?

• SSL VPN & Application Control
  • SSL VPN is important since several people are mobile and need files to access the server in the office. This is convenient, since they don’t need to go back to the office just use the SSL VPN.
  • Application control is important to limit the users in the office from consuming bandwidth such as downloads by torrent and games. This also protects us from malicious applications such as anonymous proxy.

How has it helped my organization?

• Creating site to site VPN for HQ
  • Branch via satellite connection for the branch

What needs improvement?

Access management port: This needs improving by SonicWall firmware.

We have been using the solution for three years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We had a scalability issue.

Level-3 technical support is good.

We switched because of stability issues when turning on the UTM feature.

The initial setup was simple.

Pricing and licensing are competitive for this product.

We evaluated Sophos, Fortigate, and Stonesoft.

What other advice do I have?

If you looking for a simple site-to-site VPN, stable UTM feature, and easy SSL VPN setup, then this solution is OK.

it_user634512 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Network Administrator at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
I like that you can run a packet capture from within the product. Absolutely has the best bang for the buck.

What is most valuable?

I like that you can run a packet capture from within SonicWall and configure it to automatically upload the packet captures to an FTP server. This is useful when trying to troubleshoot an intermittent issue. It can capture for as long as you have disk space on the FTP server.

How has it helped my organization?

We are more aware of security issues since SonicWall can be configured to send e-mail alerts. Server-side Outlook rules and Exchange transport rules (more informational subject lines) can be helpful in sorting and making sense of the many alerts it can generate. We have also configured it to send logs to a syslog server. They also offer SonicWall Analyzer which can reportedly be very helpful when viewing logs but I have no experience with it.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if SonicWall has finally addressed this issue but a major area for improvement would be being able to export the settings file in a non-binary readable and editable format. It is not possible to export, make changes and then upload a revised configuration. Since the settings file is binary and non-readable, it seems to always be suspect when any strange issues arise with the appliance. I have had their techical support many times through the years question whether our settings file was corrupt. Of course it would be very easy to know if it was possible to look at it but it’s binary.

Another issue we had was with SonicWall auto-creating firewall rules for VPN tunnels until I learned to disable that feature and not allow it. SonicWall will not let an admin delete an auto-created object. I personally believe an admin should be able to delete anything. We had cases where a VPN tunnel was deleted first and auto-created objects for the tunnel would get abandoned. Other objects can also get abandoned. A time or two I was able to delete abandoned objects by recreating what created them in the first place and then deleting things in the right manner to cause the auto-deletion of the objects. If that doesn’t work, you will need to restore from a backup settings file or live with the abandoned object(s). We made it a policy to always backup the settings before any change and again after the change with the file names of the settings files reflecting what was changed. It also helps to send an e-mail to the team or record in a ticket details on any changes made, e.g. screen shots of all changes. If the settings file becomes corrupt you will need to load a previous settings file. It will be helpful to have a previous version along with a record of all changes made since that settings file was saved. This is another example of how helpful it would be to be able to view the settings file, make changes and delete objects if needed and then reload it. It would be so much easier and faster.

I have used SonicWall products for about eleven years, these models for about eight years. They are near EOL.

Years ago, we would often have problems after firmware upgrades. Once after a firmware upgrade all firewall rules were still present except for HTTP and HTTPS which of course meant our web servers were dead until all the rules were recreated. We began to experience spontaneous reboots after another firmware upgrade. In recent years, they now issue early release firmware, often many versions of it, until they release a new general release. We never upgrade to early release and chose to only use general release after it’s been released for three months (true for all vendor firmware and software) and after we have searched for horror stories on the Internet. You can also open a tech support case and specifically ask the tech if the firmware is still considered a good and stable release. They will usually tell you honestly whether it is or not. We have had technical support tell us early release is tested and just as good as general release firmware while other technical support has told us it is not fully QA-tested and might cause problems. Using only general release firmware, our SonicWall has been rock solid and very stable for many years even when they were newer and had more frequent firmware releases.

We never tried to scale it.

SonicWall technical support is quite good. As with all contact with any technical support, I always document the issue, who I spoke to and their response. This can prove to be very valuable if trying to demonstrate a longstanding issue. It helps to have in hand previous dates, case numbers, names of previous tech support with notes on what they said and details on the previous attempts to fix things. For the most part, SonicWall technical support can quickly identify and resolve most issues.

We had a SonicWall 5060 PRO and upgraded to the SonicWall NSA 4500s. They are near EOL and another upgrade will soon be required.

I built them from scratch since our settings file in the 5060 PRO was suspected to have corruption. I documented all of the settings in the previous firewall and manually created all of the address objects, service objects, firewall and NAT rules to duplicate what was in the SonicWall 5060 PRO. I previously built the 5060 PRO so I knew it was configured correctly.

SonicWall absolutely has the best bang for the buck hands down. Other firewalls are two to three times as expensive both in initial cost and recurring maintenance cost. SonicWall does not require duplicate licenses if you have an HA-pair in Active/Passive mode since only one unit will be active at any given time, which is a big savings in cost compared to other vendors. If you buy a security bundle you get even greater savings. SonicWall does, however, license user VPN access unlike most other vendors.

It’s been so long ago I can’t remember.

What other advice do I have?

At the time of this post SonicWall is now owned by private equity firm Francisco Partners and Elliott Management. I would research those firms and form an opinion as to the possible future of SonicWall and then decide accordingly. If you have already made your purchase, utilize tech support often if needed. They have been invaluable to me through the years and have always helped me in getting answers to any questions. They have always been there to assist me in setting up something new and unfamiliar when needed.

IT Infrastucture - Cloud Admin at Primary S.A.
​With Site-to-Site VPN we can connect several branch office that we have and with the routing options we can setup a VPN backup route using different ISPs.

What is most valuable?

• Site-to-Site VPN
  • Deep Packet Inspection
  • Easy routing capabilities
  • Stability
  • AD integration
  • Traffic shaping options
  • VLAN options per interface
  • APP based rules/filtering

How has it helped my organization?

With Site-to-Site VPN we can connect several branch office that we have and with the routing options we can setup a VPN backup route using different ISPs, this is great when the ISP stability is not good. The AD integration is not the best but it works, thru that option we enhance the security of the device in terms of manageability. Deep Packet Inspection helps us to block undesired traffic like p2p activity even in ssl encrypted tunnels, but this is far from being easy to setup. Traffic Shaping options give us the ability to limit interfaces like the "guest wifi interface" however you can setup this per interface, not per VLAN, you have to create a firewall rule then apply "Bandwidth management rule".

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, the GUI is extremely annoying and you need to implement external tools for better network monitoring.

The GUI needs to be worked on as sometimes it's annoying to configure because the options are separate. For configuring a simple port mapping you have to go to the address object menu, then the NAT menu, then theFirewall menu, and if you want to delete this rule, you have to go backwards.

The AD integration works but in some cases when the connectivity to the AD is lost, SonicWALL also lost the AD synchronization and we had to login using a local user to re-synchronize the appliance with the AD.

Last, but not less important, are the tools for monitoring the network. The appliance has a lot of monitoring tools, but they are not efficient. For example, you cannot see (in real time) what user is accessing what site, consuming bandwidth, etc. but you need external tool to do this. Dell need to take a look at their Kerio control software).

I have been using it for eight months.

None, the deployment was done in conjunction with a Dell partner. They had some difficulties, but all of them related to our specific scenario. In that time we use all the configurations per IP basis and not per zone basis like Dell recommends.

Some, but they were very strange. For example, one of our ISPs gave us an IP address through DHCP, and in two cases the interface won't take a new IP address, even if we reboot the appliance, we have to use another interface to solve this. For other cases, we use LenovoEMC Storage Connector.

That software floods the connections of SonicWALL reaching the 322000 simultaneous connections/sessions. Until we find this software, the SonicWALL becomes very slow almost unresponsive, also we start to losing connection to other networks that are being handled by the SonicWALL. We solved this by applying connection limits but the final solution was uninstalling that Lenovo software.

None, but if you need more you have to pay licenses and if it is no enough that you have to buy a mayor model of SonicWall.

We use our Dell Partner who are slow, but efficient.

Our Dell partner have great technicians and they know the product. However they were slow to solve some problems because the GUI didn´t allow a fluent workflow/management.

We didn't have a solution in place previously.

Because our scenario requirements were complex, the initial setup was somewhat complex.

We used a Dell partner who had a great level of expertise.

You have to look if this device will do the task that you need, and if it does with which license do it. If you haven't got a license, you almost cannot use this equipment. Here you have a license for all, from the device itself to the user VPN license, so you have to be careful with this. Also, the licenses are not perpetual so my advice is talk with a Dell partner, know the product, know the limitations and compare with other brands.

We didn't look at any other options.

What other advice do I have?

SonicWALL offers two operating modes, per IP basis, and per zone basis. You should design your network for work on the per zone basis. It will be easier and effective to manage the device.

Download our free SonicWall NSa Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022