SonicWall NSa OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall NSa is the #16 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give SonicWall NSa an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. SonicWall NSa is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: SonicWall NSa vs Fortinet FortiGate. SonicWall NSa is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 43% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
SonicWall NSa Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall NSa Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is SonicWall NSa?

SonicWall NSa dispenses advanced threat protection using a high-performance security platform. The NSa series implements intuitive deep learning technologies in the SonicWall Capture Cloud Platform to dispatch the automated real-time threat detection and deterrence enterprise organizations need today. SonicWall Network Security appliance (NSa) series is best for mid-sized organizations to distributed enterprises and data centers.

SonicWall NSa series next-generation firewalls (NFGWS) combine two very robust security ideologies to deliver advanced threat protection to keep users’ networks safe. Boosting SonicWall’s multi-engine advanced threat protection (ATP) is their Real-time Deep Memory Inspection (RTDMI™). The RTDMI intuitively identifies and stops aggressive zero-day threats and vicious malware by investigating memory directly. This real-time process allows SonicWall RTDMI to be accurate, lessen false positives and discover and alleviate malicious threats and attacks. SonicWall’s single-pass Reassembly-Free Deep Packet Inspection (RFDPI) will audit every byte of each and every packet by investigating both outbound and inbound traffic on the firewall. By combining the SonicWall Capture Cloud Platform along with on-box offerings such as intrusion prevention, web/URL filtering, and anti-malware, the NSa series is able to block the most malicious and dangerous threats at the gateway.

Additionally, SonicWall firewalls supply absolute protection by executing complete inspection and decryption of SSH and TLS/SSL encryption connections - no matter the port or protocol. The firewall takes a deep dive into each and every packet (the header and data) routing out any anomalies, zero-day intrusions, threats, and protocol non-compliance. Users can also define unique criteria specific to their organization to ensure their networks remain safe. This aggressive deep packet inspection is able to identify and block malicious attacks, stop dangerous malware downloads, prevent the spread of infections, and defeat command and control (C&C) communications and data exfiltration. Protocols involving inclusion and exclusion allow users complete control to decide, based on specific governance policies, organizational policies, or government or legal compliance, which traffic is to be investigated for decryption or inspection.

SonicWall Nsa offers enterprise organizations the network control and fluid flexibility they desire using an intrusion prevention system (IPS), VPN, real-time visualization, and other advanced powerful security features, making it a popular firewall solution in today's marketplace.

Reviews from Real Users

“The features that I have found most valuable are the firewalling, which is very good, and the GUI which is very intuitive. It is easy to use and provides great security.” - Network Engineer at a maritime company

“What's valuable in SonicWall NSa is the ATP (advanced threat protection). It can protect users from malicious links. SonicWall NSa also has a Sandboxing service that is very helpful for us, especially when end users accidentally click on malicious links. Another valuable feature of this solution is that it is very useful for site-to-site VPN connectivity issues. SonicWall NSa has very good hardware. I also love that SonicWall has very good technical support, who are very knowledgeable, provide good suggestions, and they're easy to reach.” - Mohammed M., Network Administrator at Transgulf Readymix

SonicWall NSa was previously known as NSA 250M, NSA 2600, NSA 3600, NSA 4600, NSA 5600, Dell SonicWALL NSA.

SonicWall NSa Customers

Orange County Rescue Mission, First Source, Michaels & Taylor, Green Clinic Health System, Aspire Chiltern Skills and Enterprise Centre, UnitedStack, Faith Lutheran College Redlands, Celtic Manor Resort, Star Kay White, Air Works, Unimat Life, NHS Yorkshire and Humber Commissioning Support (YHCS), Hutt City Council, Mato Grosso do Sul, Nspyre

SonicWall NSa Video

SonicWall NSa Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall NSa pricing:
  • "SonicWall NSa has two types of license. The advanced license is a bit expensive when compared to the comprehensive license, but when you compare the advanced license to the licensing cost of other brands or competitors, it is expensive."
  • "While I don't know the exact amount off the top of my head, I would estimate the licensing package was about $15,000 to $20,000 a year."
  • "SonicWall still is only a dollar or Euro per gigabit. This means, of the IPsec, it's the cheapest solution."
  • "It would be better if it has a better price, but its price is okay considering the benefits that you receive."
  • "There are different pricing models for SonicWall NSa."
  • SonicWall NSa Reviews

MohammedMateen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Administrator at Transgulf Readymix
    Easy to scale advanced threat protection solution with knowledgeable technical support, but has occasional bugs
    • "Easy to scale solution that provides advanced threat protection. Their technical support is very good, very knowledgeable, and easy to reach."
    • "SonicWall NSa has occasional bugs, particularly during upgrades, and that's an area for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases for SonicWall NSa are the Global VPN and the SSL VPN, because nowadays, everyone prefers to work from home, and prefers to connect from mobile applications to our organization.

What is most valuable?

What's valuable in SonicWall NSa is the ATP (advanced threat protection). It can protect users from malicious links, e.g. those sent to the end user email and is clicked by the end user, who'll be led to a bad website. SonicWall NSa has a Sandboxing service that is very helpful for us, especially when end users accidentally click on malicious links.

Another valuable feature of this solution is that it is very useful for site-to-site VPN connectivity issues.

SonicWall NSa also has very good hardware, e.g. from 2013 to 2021, only one product had a hardware failure, and within 24 hours, they were able to replace that product.

I also love that SonicWall has very good technical support, who are very knowledgeable, provides good suggestions, and they're easy to reach.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement in SonicWall NSa is that sometimes, we experience bugs when upgrading, so we have to contact their technical support to fix issues.

It would be much easier if this improvement was in place: if the one-time password which is built-in, was provided as an OTP for the administrator logging into the console, so that we'll have a quicker awareness of it, rather than needing to check emails for it. Having a Telegram or WhatsApp bot integrated with the device, for example, will be very helpful for us, so we can instantly take action, without us needing to log into and check our emails, meaning we'll be able to put things right faster.

This may not be possible in SonicWall NSa, but I'm also looking for any kind of controller or device for the Windows server or client, e.g. Windows 11 and Windows 10 from SonicWall NSa itself, so that a security domain or the gateway of the organization would be able to identify the latest update for a product, whether that product is installed or not. This feature would be very helpful, and it's what I'd like to see in the next release.

I've been using SonicWall NSa since 2013.

SonicWall NSa
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SonicWall NSa. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    670,331 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SonicWall NSa performs well, but sometimes, there are bugs, so I have to call their support when this happens, and I elaborate on the problem we're facing. Support then takes the diagnostic data, fixes it, then sends back to me the firmware or the setting so I can restore my SonicWall NSa.

SonicWall NSa is easy to scale.

The technical support team for this solution is very knowledgeable. They are able to fix issues. They understand what we are facing and they suggest very good options. They provide us very good support, and on a scale of one to five, I'm giving them a four to a five for technical support.

I previously used different solutions, e.g. Sophos and Fortinet, but what I noticed is that I either couldn't find how to contact their technical support, or if I was able to call their technical support, I either get a busy tone, or it takes a long time to speak to someone. As for SonicWall support, I only had to wait 10 minutes to speak to someone, and if they accidentally drop my call, they'll immediately call me, no matter which part of the world I'm in, so I switched to SonicWall NSa.

I deployed SonicWall NSa myself. Deployment was very easy.

Last January 14th, one of my firewalls went down, so we had to replace it, but it was unfortunate that we didn't enable the local backup. At the time, what we had was the factory set up option for the device, so it took me six hours to fix, e.g. applying for the policy site to the site VPN, creating the users, etc. All those processes took a minimum of five to six hours.

I didn't use a vendor or a third party for the deployment of this solution. I only had to call their support if there was something I couldn't understand, e.g. why the traffic wasn't working, etc. For some of the processes, I took notes from their support, while for the rest of the processes, we can do it by ourselves.

SonicWall NSa has two types of license, so the cost would depend on the license.

The advanced license is a bit expensive when compared to the comprehensive license, but when you compare the advanced license to the licensing cost of other brands or competitors, it is expensive.

One good point about the more expensive license for this product it that they provide a hardware guarantee, which means direct replacement, no matter how long you've been using it, whether you've used it for two, three, five, or seven years. You can easily have your device directly replaced if it's having issues with the firewall, software, or hardware, etc. You can get this done as an end user, or as a customer. You just have to fill in and send back the application form for device replacement, provide the serial number and the model number, and that's it. They will replace your device. It's also easy for them to transfer your license to another device. SonicWall NSa is worth the money.

I evaluated Sophos and Fortinet solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The firewall products I'm using are SonicWall NSa 3600 and 2400.

We are using the latest version of this solution.

We are using a local backup, and we also enabled for my SonicWall NSa a cloud backup for all devices. We are using six firewalls, so we enabled the flow backup, with the goal of being able to restore immediately, in case of emergency.

This product doesn't require much maintenance. Our company operates 24/7, and we deal with ready-mix concrete. It depends on the production, but SonicWall NSa continuously runs 24/7. Maintenance is done monthly, particularly for upgrading the firmware, or for restarting SonicWall server patches. Maintenance of this product only takes one hour on a monthly basis.

We have 200 end users of SonicWall NSa.

I always recommend this product to my friends and colleagues. My supplier also recommends it. I suggest to them to go for SonicWall NSa, depending on the user, e.g. if you have 100 end users. We pay for the license, for example, 2,200 dirhams, so I can get the license, and also get the SonicWall SOHO device, which is the smaller one.

My rating for SonicWall NSa is seven out of ten.

Manager of IT at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, easy to use, and offers good content filtering
    • "They offer good antivirus solutions."
    • "The ongoing service fees are high."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used basically a parameter firewall and to secure the company network.

What is most valuable?

The content filtering is very good.

The solution is easy to use.

They offer good antivirus solutions. It's basically a complete package.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement.

For example, the monitoring system is in need of improvement. Their monitoring system is too expensive. Most of the company doesn't apply the monitoring system as it's too expensive. Some more monitoring features should be built into the firewall device itself.

Management spends a lot of money on the device, and they want to know what is working, et cetera. To understand this, we need some reports, graphs, and figures. Without these items, management may not be convinced they are spending the money in the right way. Having reports that reflect the work done to keep the network secure would show the benefits and the ROI in a positive way that would help sell management on the product itself.

The ongoing service fees are high.

The solution could use more online educational tools to help users understand the underlying functionality of the product. Things like videos and tutorials could help a lot.

I've been working with the solution for the last nine years or so at this point. It's been almost a decade.

The solution is very stable. We can do 80% to 90% of tasks with no issues whatsoever. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale, however, in Pakistan, it's not easy not to spend so much. One device can last over five to six years. You can say scale, however, you need to have an understanding of what functionality you will need over the years. Over four to six years, the device can fulfill your requirements. After six to seven years, you can replace it with another model or another brand to meet your updated needs.

I didn't use support over the last nine years, except for handling the device replacement itself. I needed a device replacement due to some damage, and they fulfilled my request and requirements. In terms of tasks such as configuration issues, I've never actually asked for assistance for those queries and therefore could not rate how helpful or responsive they are when they cover those matters.

In the past, I have also used Fortinet and FortiGate as well as Juniper. I have 19 years of experience with various solutions. I have used multiple devices including Cisco, Juniper, FortiGate, SonicWall, and others. Basically, FortiGate and SonicWall are more or less the same types of solution. However, the SonicWall is easier to install than FortiGate.

I have deployed the solution myself. I did not need the help of an integrator or consultant.

The pricing is reasonable, however, all firewalls have high prices for subscriptions for their services to cover after warranty needs for content filtering, for antiviruses, for web filtering, et cetera. All firewalls have extra prices.

After spending so much money year over year, we were surprised that we had to still pay more than the device cost just to covers services. That's why you may find that most companies stop their services and just running the firewall as a box. Most small companies stop their services just due to the high subscription fees. That said, multinationals or larger organizations likely still pay the service fees.

In places like Pakistan, a developing country, it's hard to continuously pay, as we find the continuing service fees expensive. They should work to make an exception for certain regions such as ours.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I can't remember the exact versions we are using. We may be on version 6, and the models I have used include the 2600, 2500, and 3600 series.

I'd warn new users that the box is huge. The box has multiple functionalities and most users are not trained. They can't benefit from all the functionality as they don't know that it exists. Due to the lack of knowledge, most users don't leverage additional functionalities which they should. While the solution offers good devices and reasonable pricing for the box, companies need to educate themselves on how they can best use the product to their advantage. SonicWall can help by posting more videos and sharing more information.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

SonicWall NSa
    December 2022
    670,331 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Systems network admin at a educational organization with 10,001+ employees
    Unstable, expensive, and technical support is too slow to respond
    • "The DPI-SSL is the solution's most valuable aspect. It's handy."
    • "We're not particularly fond of the way it generally performs. We are finding ourselves rebooting often. There are freeze-ups and that kind of thing. The stability needs to improve exponentially."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution from our firewall endpoint VPN. It does have a spam filter, SSL, DPI, and numerous other security features. We've got the full license suite.

What is most valuable?

The DPI-SSL is the solution's most valuable aspect. It's handy. It's nice.

The scalability is okay.

The initial implementation isn't too bad, once you get used to the process.

What needs improvement?

We're not happy with the device itself. We're obviously moving away from it for a reason that they're a Swiss pocket-knife of devices and they do a lot. However, nothing is really done well. They don't specialize in one thing that they excel at. They try instead to do almost everything and end up failing.

We're not particularly fond of the way it generally performs. We are finding ourselves rebooting often. There are freeze-ups and that kind of thing. The stability needs to improve exponentially.

Technical support is pretty slow to respond and escalate matters.

The cost of the solution is quite high.

The solution could use an invisible DPI-SSL or something that doesn't require a certificate rewrite. Most of the other vendors are doing that now.

The SSL VPN performance-wise is terrible.

We've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

The stability isn't the best. It freezes. We have to reboot a lot. The device just doesn't work very well.

The scalability is okay, It's marginal, however, it is possible.

We have about 300 people on-premises that use the solution.

We've been in touch with technical support, ad currently, we find them to be below average in their support capabilities. Firewall support is just adequate. Right now, with COVID and everything, you are looking at 45 minutes to an hour to get the first technician on the phone. Often it takes two or three days to get it escalated. It's slow.

I personally previously used Cisco devices at another company, and therefore I have some experience with them.

We're currently migrating away from this solution at the moment. We do not like the way the device performs.

In terms of deployment, there is a bit of a learning curve right off the top, as I come from a Cisco ASA background. It's more object-based, a little bit different. Once you get the knack of it, it's actually pretty nice in some ways.

That said, operationally, I would recommend anybody that deploys one of these to make sure they develop their own SOP for naming conventions, for objects, object groups, object types, service groups, service objects, et cetera, so that it's easier to manage and understand what you're doing. Generally speaking, it's just a best practices kind of process for administrative work. If you've got multiple admins, it's important that everything is contiguous, meaning everybody understands and works under that same parameters. It's like any other operating environment.

In terms of maintenance, there are two of us that generally manage it and maintain it on a fairly regular basis. I'm a network engineer and the department manager, who's not a system engineer, (however, is well-versed), also can perform maintenance as needed.

We handled the implementation in-house. We did not need an integrator or consultant to assist us.

While I don't know the exact amount off the top of my head, I would estimate the licensing package was about $15,000 to $20,000 a year.

Your original purchase includes the purchase of the hardware, licensing, and support. It's not a cheap device.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

We are currently using the NSA 4600. It's a full security appliance. We're using the latest version of the solution.

It's our primary firewall/VPN endpoint. It's used 24/7, 365. Due to the nature of our work, uptime is critical.

Ultimately, if you were to ask me if I were to recommend this device, I would say no.

I'd rate the solution at a three out of ten, simple due to the fact that the stability isn't there, and it's an expensive solution.

Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
    Easy to scale, offers good value for money, and has good policies
    • "The functionality is the same whether it is on hardware or a virtual appliance. The interface is the same. It's nice that it's standardized."
    • "Some of the configurations could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution just for IPsec tunnels. It's two routers between locations with IPsec tunnels, nothing more. We don't use their firewall capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The functionality is the same whether it is on hardware or a virtual appliance. The interface is the same. It's nice that it's standardized.

The solution is a good product with a good value for money.

The security capabilities and policies are good. They can do a lot of tasks with ease.

The product is very useful for organizations with many locations. If you've got a lot of locations, the product can save you money as you don't need a physical box at each location.

The scalability is very good as it really can cover multiple locations.

SonicWall offers NG capabilities in virtual appliances.

What needs improvement?

It's not as easy to use, as, for example, Palo Alto.

Some of the configurations could be better.

The solution is stable. We haven't had any issues so far.

The scalability is quite good. You can scale well across locations very well for not too much cost. If a company needs to expand, it can do so relatively easily.

Also, cost-wise, it's very affordable to scale up. It's not expensive to add hardware and licenses as needed. They make upgrading very cheap.

We have 200 people on the solution. That said, they are using with IPsec tunnel. They don't use all of the capabilities of the hardware. They are using it just to encrypt tunneling between the sites.

We may not continue to sue the solution as we have found a solution that is better and that can help us get faster than IPsec can. We're looking instead at MACsec.

I've never opened up a technical support case with the product. It's worked quite well, and we haven't run into trouble that would require us to reach out. I can't really speak to how helpful or responsive they are due to the fact that I have no experience with them.

We've also worked with Palo Alto, Barracuda, and Sophos.

Palo Alto is more expensive to use and to scale. Sophos is very easy to set up. Barracuda also has NG capabilities, like SonicWall, and has the same limitations in terms of security policies. It also can take a bit longer to set up.

I have ten years of IT experience, and therefore, for me, the entire implementation process was not overly difficult. They have good manuals that you can read through at the start. It's not a difficult process, especially if you are already comfortable with the technology.

Of course, it's not quite as straightforward as something like Sophos, which you can just plug in and have the vendor configure for you. However, that said, it's not too difficult.

Due to the fact that we've got some projects now, we might abandon IPsec, as we had two Blade fibers with separate paths to a secondary location and we will start using MACsec. It's a layer 2 security. Therefore, we don't need IPsec anymore.

Originally, actually, we bought it without any licenses, just boxes with IPsec capabilities.

The pricing, in comparison to some solutions, such as Palo Alto, is much better.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. I tell everybody, if your business is a lot of locations and not so many personal policies, to check the SonicWall portfolio. You can configure it with two boxes and if you need to you can scale it without any trouble into the tens or hundreds.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Director Comercial at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Stable and easy to deploy with useful deep packet inspection and intelligent application control features
    • "Deep packet inspection and intelligent application control are the most valuable features. It is a very updated solution. It is very current as compared to other brands and vendors."
    • "I would like to have a built-in vulnerability scanner in the firewall. It would be great to have such functionality. Its price could also be better. It would also be good to have a local warehouse. It doesn't get damaged a lot, but if a customer needs a replacement, currently, it has to come from Miami or Mexico, which can take a few days. It would be better if they have a local warehouse from where we can just pick replacements and quickly solve a client's needs in terms of replacing equipment. It would be great to have it locally instead of waiting for it from Mexico or the USA."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to secure the perimeter of our company. We use all the integrated features of this Next-Generation Firewall. We are using NSA 3650.

How has it helped my organization?

The bandwidth consumption of the company has improved since we took control and restricted the music on YouTube being accessed on office computers. A lot of computers in the company were streaming, and we used the intelligent application control feature to control that.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a built-in vulnerability scanner in the firewall. It would be great to have such functionality. Its price could also be better.

It would also be good to have a local warehouse. It doesn't get damaged a lot, but if a customer needs a replacement, currently, it has to come from Miami or Mexico, which can take a few days. It would be better if they have a local warehouse from where we can just pick replacements and quickly solve a client's needs in terms of replacing equipment. It would be great to have it locally instead of waiting for it from Mexico or the USA.

I have been using this solution for approximately seven years.

It is stable. We have been representing SonicWall in Panama for approximately seven years. Our customers usually don't need any help from us. We don't have any customer attacks or downtime because of the lack of features in the product. It has been a very good experience.

SonicWall has 12 different models for enterprises and service providers. They have a wide range of models to meet the needs of customers of all sizes.

We have all kinds of clients. We have service providers, and we have small, medium, and big companies as clients. In the biggest company, there are 25,000 users. It is a university here in Panama.

It is always there when we need it. They have a very good service.

Customers usually had FortiGate or WatchGuard. Those are the two major brands that we have replaced with SonicWall.

SonicWall is being represented by us here in Panama. FortiGate is a very strong solution here in Panama, but we're trying to get them out of our way. Price is the biggest thing that we might use to replace them.

Support from the vendor is also a big thing here. WatchGuard has no representatives in Panama. They have no presence, so, it is very easy to replace them, but FortiGate is a difficult one to replace.

It is straightforward. It has a wizard, and you just follow the steps.

It took us one month because our personnel had to be trained. We need two or three people for its deployment. It is not that demanding on services.

We implemented it with the assistance of SonicWall.

It would be better if it has a better price, but its price is okay considering the benefits that you receive.

What other advice do I have?

The operating system of all boxes is pretty much the same for enterprises as well as small businesses. It has the same behavior from the smallest model to the biggest one, which is a major advantage of SonicWall.

I would rate SonicWall NSA an eight out of ten.

Nakul Chopra - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at IT Solution
    Reseller
    It provides better security and reduction rate but lacks proxy and quota management features
    • "What I like best about SonicWall NSa is the security it offers compared to other solutions in the market. Its reduction rate is also better than others."
    • "SonicWall NSa doesn't have a proxy. It also needs a quota management feature in specific scenarios where you must limit user bandwidth for a particular day."

What is our primary use case?

I use SonicWall NSa for bandwidth monitoring and aggregation. I also use it to control browsing.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about SonicWall NSa is the security it offers compared to other solutions in the market. Its reduction rate is also better than others.

What needs improvement?

SonicWall NSa has multiple areas for improvement.

One is that it doesn't have a proxy. It also doesn't have the quota management feature required in specific scenarios where you need to limit user bandwidth for a particular day, so one user isn't using up too much bandwidth compared to other users.

Active/Active HA is also missing in the product.

What I want to be added to SonicWall NSa in the future is the bandwidth optimization feature.

I've been using SonicWall NSa for fifteen years.

SonicWall NSa is a stable product.

To scale SonicWall NSa, you need to keep changing the model of the box, but this is the case in any other solution, so you go for hardware appliances, such as Fortinet, Sophos, Palo Alto Networks, and Check Point because after reaching a specific capacity, you need to change the model.

SonicWall NSa has good technical support, so support-wise, I'm giving it a ten out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

My company chose SonicWall NSa over other products because it was good. It was better than others.

SonicWall NSa is easy to implement. It took two hours to deploy the product completely.

We implemented SonicWall NSa as we're SonicWall resellers.

There's ROI from SonicWall NSa, and its reduction rate is the best.

There are different pricing models for SonicWall NSa.

What other advice do I have?

My company uses a next-generation firewall from SonicWall, SonicWall NSa.

I'm using version 2650 of SonicWall NSa.

My company is a SonicWall NSa reseller.

In the company, everyone uses SonicWall NSa, particularly fifty people.

My advice to people looking into implementing SonicWall NSa is that it depends on the setup. What my company does is first understand the setup and why the customer wants to deploy the product. Based on the customer's answers, my company presents solutions that would work. For example, if you require a proxy or a quota management feature, SonicWall NSa will not be a complete solution. If you need Active/Active HA, SonicWall NSa won't be the right match. You need to understand what you require from the product. If you need browsing and management turnovers, then SonicWall NSa will be good enough. Overall, the product still has some areas for improvement.

My rating for SonicWall NSa is seven out of ten. For me to give it a higher rating, it should have more features. Right now, I'm unable to market it well because it doesn't score very well in Gartner. I can only position SonicWall NSa as having the best reduction rate. The product is relatively good and stable but still needs certain features.

Internet Manager at MICROBLAU SL
    Great performance and security with reasonable pricing
    • "The prices are similar to other vendors and the support is good."
    • "I'd like to see integration with Microsoft 365 for authentication."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a security system we install in our customer's office. It's a firewall. We have a control panel to manage and view some data and this control panel is in the cloud. However, the firewalls themselves are in the customer's office.

What is most valuable?

The security is great.

It has great performance.

The prices are similar to other vendors and the support is good.

The deployment process is simple.

What needs improvement?

I can't speak to any missing features. They've recently released a new version and it's quite good. Right now, it's the best solution.

I'd like to see integration with Microsoft 365 for authentication.

We've been using the solution for a while. We've definitely used it over the past year.

The stability and performance are great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. It's true that SonicWall had a lot of problems in the past, however, now it's very stable. It works perfectly.

It's very scalable. In some cases, it's necessary to change the firewall, however, it's easy to change as SonicWall has the ability to migrate the configuration from all firewalls to the new one.

Technical support is great. They are helpful and responsive. We are quite happy with their capabilities.

I'm also familiar with Fortinet. I find SonicWall more secure. It also offers better performance.

Previously, we installed a firewall directly with Linux and we configured it all at once. It was very manual.

Now, the implementation is easy. In the past it was difficult. Companies needed a specialist to deploy new firewalls. Now, they have a system that a normal technician can install.

It takes a few hours to install and deploy the product.

We have two people that handle deployment and maintenance.

The pricing is on par with others on the market. It's not overly expensive.

The cheaper option is between €100 and €200. However, NSa has different models and the more expensive one is for around €10,000, more or less.

When we purchase our NSa, we buy the firewall and the security services. The security services are for a period of time from one year to three years. When we arrive at the end of the contract we need to renew the security services, however, the firewall will still work. We only need to renew the security services.

When we decide to change from Linux firewalls to an appliance we looked at different companies, like Cisco and Fortinet, and we compared these different companies and products. We decided on SonicWall due to the relationship between performance and security.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Network Engineer at a maritime company with 201-500 employees
    Good firewalling and intuitive GUI
    • "The features that I have found most valuable are the firewalling, which is very good and the GUI which is very intuitive. It is easy to use, and provides great security."
    • "It is not scalable. If your enterprise is growing hard then you have to buy another, bigger product. Maybe if you use it virtually it is more scalable."

What is our primary use case?

We have two SonicWalls in the High Availability setup with failover configuration.

We use it for the firewalling, for IPS protection and for VPN clients.

How has it helped my organization?

With SonicWall we have more insight in the applications that users are using and what they are doing on the internet, so we can monitor better. It gives us better monitoring.

We now have more insight and information; what protocols and what websites users are trying to reach and what is blocked and what is not blocked, so we can better follow the tracks of the users.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the firewalling, which is very good and the GUI which is very intuitive. It is easy to use and provides great security.

What needs improvement?

Overall, I'm quite happy about the product. The configuration and the interface are very good. Maybe the pricing and licensing could be improved.

It is not scalable. If your enterprise is growing hard then you have to buy another, bigger product. Maybe if you use it virtually it is more scalable.

We have been using SonicWall NSa for maybe eight to 10 years.

I work for several companies, and we use the NSa with one of them.

It is very stable.

Scalability is an issue. If you need to scale for more performance you will need another product in a higher range. You cannot scale the product itself. That's not possible.

It is not scalable at all.

We have about 350 users. I do the maintenance on my own.

We use it daily.

We do not have plans to increase at the moment.

Their technical support is very good.

The initial setup is not complex, it is very easy.

In terms of my implementation strategy - at first I write down the case we need. I investigate all the uses we have to implement with the SonicWall, and then I install and configurate it. I think the primary configuration was maybe three or four hours.

It was all done by myself.

You can buy the license for one or three years, and we mostly choose the three year. That's a little bit cheaper.

We looked at the Cisco and we looked at the Palo Alto, but the SonicWall was the most valuable for the pricing, the best product for us. The main difference is the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

SonicWall NSa is a very good product with a very nice price, and it is low-level to use.

It is easy to manage and easy to implement.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give SonicWall NSa a nine because of the stability and the easy-to-use GUI. It's a very nice product.

Download our free SonicWall NSa Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022