Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SharePoint Designer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SharePoint Designer is #2 ranked solution in top .NET Development Services. PeerSpot users give SharePoint Designer an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SharePoint Designer is most commonly compared to Microsoft Visual Studio: SharePoint Designer vs Microsoft Visual Studio. SharePoint Designer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 15% of all views.
SharePoint Designer Buyer's Guide

Download the SharePoint Designer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SharePoint Designer?
SharePoint Designer is the tool of choice for the rapid development of SharePoint applications. Using SharePoint Designer, advanced users and developers alike can rapidly create SharePoint solutions in response to business needs. Advanced users can compose no-code solutions that encompass a variety of common scenarios, from collaborative sites and web publishing to Line-Of-Business data integration, business intelligence solutions, and human workflows, leveraging the building blocks available in SharePoint in an easy to use environment.
SharePoint Designer Customers
Pyrotek Inc., ICA, Deliver Australia, Secretary of Economy of Mexico, Aegon, ABB Switzerland, Ascent Yarns Private Limited, Bakewell Biscuits Pvt Ltd, Hitachi Consulting
SharePoint Designer Video

SharePoint Designer Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SharePoint Designer pricing:
  • "Most of the time, our customer's license from Microsoft includes the cost of SharePoint. However, if you have to buy it then SharePoint is quite expensive."
  • "There is no licensing cost for Designer—it's free."
  • "SharePoint Online has a subscription-based model for payments and the price is based on user usage."
  • "SharePoint Designer is a free product. It's SharePoint that needs a license, not SharePoint Designer."
  • "Priced per user per month with different plans to choose from."
  • SharePoint Designer Reviews

Vivek Vaibhav - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager at Bain & Company
    Intuitive, customizable, and reliable
    • "We like the highly customizable websites that you can build."
    • "Exporting the whole SharePoint website is an issue."

What is our primary use case?

It's SharePoint 365, which is the Microsoft Suite that comes up for enterprise solutions.

We are dealing with pervasive client-specific data.

One of the projects that I can mention here is that we created a platform for collecting data from many different clients, then collating that data, and then further analyzing it using statistical analysis on something.

This particular tool was built on SharePoint so that the clients can enter their own data. We looked at many different other solutions, for example, the web solutions. That web solution would have taken a lot of time to develop, therefore, we used SharePoint, which was a handy tool.

The best part was that it could also be accessed by the client. It was an internal SharePoint tool that we created, and we got it opened for the different clients so that they can enter their own data by logging into our servers. That's how we collected the data from them. It was a three-month-long data collection process in which we did the analyses.

What is most valuable?

We like the highly customizable websites that you can build. For example, when we were building it for the client, we could design and customize it according to what the client wanted as that was the requirement so that they can access it and see their own logos and stuff, subsequently entering their own data. Customization is one of the best parts of it.

The data collection platform has value. So we had different kinds of access for different clients, and they could collaborate on one particular, for example, an Excel file uploaded on SharePoint. They enter their own data. Ten-odd people could access the same file, enter their own data, and save it on our servers. Collaboration is one of the other big things with SharePoint.

What needs improvement?

Exporting the whole SharePoint website is an issue. For example, let's say I want to deploy it in the client environment. Right now, this was based on our own company's environment and if I wanted to deploy that onto the client's environment. To do this, I will have to recreate everything from scratch, which takes a lot of time. There should be a way somewhere where I can download the custom designs I have made and upload them to the client servers so that we can configure them on their servers.

Secondly, when you have uploaded data, for example, from an Excel spreadsheet, you download it in the form of a dot IQY file. This IQY file is a bit tough to work with as it's a server-side file. If there was any option where you could just download the flat files and work with them, that would have been great.

I have had hands-on experience in bits and pieces, not the complete tool.

I have been using it for the past six months, however, in terms of the company, they have used it for more than four or five years.

SharePoint Designer
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SharePoint Designer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable product.

Obviously, the way you design it is a very big factor. It's generally hosted on enterprise servers, which seldom go down. The servers for different companies do not go down so easily. Therefore, stability is there. The way it can be designed and customized requires minimal coding as well. Therefore, there's no chance of getting errors and stuff.

Scalability would be an issue. There were the minimum number of folks that we were working with, however, if you want to deploy a SharePoint site, for example, to millions of people, the servers have to be accordingly configured. It completely depends on the servers. That's the major thing when you're deploying a SharePoint site. That's why scalability might be an issue, however, I'm not sure about that as we haven't tested a fully scalable website on SharePoint.

There's a dedicated team, on the product who know the SharePoint site in and out, however, they are not all developing the websites. They're there to enhance the backend systems and understand our queries and resolve them. The SharePoint developers are within my team itself.

In my team, probably five to six people know how to develop a SharePoint site, and in my company, there's a dedicated team who do SharePoint and that's a 15-member strong team.

I don't deal with support.

We had our point of contact in our 15-member team. They know the platform in and out. Those were our primary contacts. We did not contact Microsoft. All our queries were resolved using that team of developers.

The solution  has a steep learning curve. Once you start working on it, hands-on, then it becomes generally easier. That said, once you open the software for the first time, you probably might find it very jarring or tough. Later on, when you start working on it, it gets easier. For me, I've worked with a lot of software in my lifetime, and SharePoint, once you start working on it, does become easier.

The time it takes to deploy varies as we have to give access permissions, et cetera.

We developed it on our systems and then gave access to the clients to enter into our servers and then enter their data. Now, this particular process was not very streamlined for us, however, it fulfilled our purpose. We did not have any issues with the timelines of deployment. We just recreated everything on the client's environment. In that sense, there was no actual deployment.

We had a set of 120 different people who are users. We gave them group user access. It was relatively quick, and we did it in one or two days. Obviously, there were certain issues related to the firewall and their own SharePoint servers, which created an issue, however, these were diagnosed fairly quickly.

I'm not sure of the exact cost of the solution.

The enterprise provided the solution to us. It comes with a larger package, however, I'm not sure about the pricing that is there with our company.

As an enterprise, I'd say it is completely worth the money.

The turnaround time was also an issue that we turned to SharePoint. We explored a lot of different other platforms that we can use. For example, Smartsheet. However, it could not fulfill the customizations that we wanted. That's why we worked with SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

I am not a very extensive Designer since I am managing a team. Most of my team members are experts here. I am mostly trying to manage the development part. I do not know each and every detail, the intricacies of the SharePoint website.

Web development is a very steep learning curve. It takes a lot of time to become a master. Therefore, we use SharePoint to make sure that we could deliver for clients. Being in consulting, you have to deliver the outputs relatively quickly.

I'd advise users to start exploring it on their own to get to know the menus and different options that they could get. Try different tutorials. There are plenty of tutorials available. That helps in knowing exactly what you have to do. Just start exploring the system.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's intuitive and customizable.

Private Cloud

ChristianBegaux - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant DMS/ECM at Boint / Doc
    Poor interface makes it complex to use, but the collaboration features are good
    • "SharePoint has very good features for collaboration."
    • "SharePoint is too complex to install and maintain."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy and I am a project manager. We implement solutions for our customers and I have led several projects that involve SharePoint, as well as other similar technologies. My area of expertise is ECM, document management, information management, and related tasks.

The best business case for SharePoint is team collaboration. It can support a small team of people working on a project that involves an agenda, Wiki documents, and other related material. However, it's primarily used for temporary projects.

These days, I no longer work on SharePoint projects.

How has it helped my organization?

Using SharePoint helps our customers to better manage projects within their companies. Specifically, it allows them to easily connect people both internal and external to the organization and facilitates document exchange.

What is most valuable?

SharePoint has very good features for collaboration.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with SharePoint is that it claims to have so many features that people think they can do everything, and that is not correct. If you want to do everything, you're going to spend a lot of money to achieve your goals. Essentially, the marketing from Microsoft is very positive but from a consultancy point of view, it gets us in trouble because people have unrealistic expectations of the solution.

SharePoint is too complex to install and maintain.

The admin interface is poor, making it too complex to manage projects.

The integration with other products is poor. There are too many instances where we needed to call a third-party software company because functionality tried by the user in the other solution was not covered by SharePoint.

In the future, SharePoint needs to cover more of our needs for us to continue using it. For example, the workflow is not correctly integrated.

I have worked with SharePoint Designer for more than six years.

The stability of SharePoint depends on the client's architecture. If it's a simple installation then it's stable. But, in a more complex deployment, it is less reliable.

For example, I have worked with SharePoint in a highly complex organization in the financial industry. Every week, the system would crash. The IT would have to tell the users that it wasn't working and then resolve the issue.

Overall, it's not the best solution in terms of stability.

SharePoint is scalable, albeit complex.

We have approximately 10 customers that we have deployed SharePoint for. They have multidisciplinary teams, and people in many different roles use the software.

There are two levels of support for SharePoint. The first is from the company that sells it, which is the main integrator. The second level of support is from Microsoft, which is quite different.

Most of the time, the support from the integrator is valuable, whereas the support from Microsoft is too basic. I would rate the support from Microsoft a two out of five.

I have used several similar products including those from Alfresco, Laserfiche, and IBM.

The initial setup is highly complex and the deployment strategy varies depending on the needs of the client. It requires between one and three IT architects for the installation, depending on the customer's environment.

I would rate the ease of installation and setup a one out of five.

In terms of ROI, I would rate SharePoint a one out of five.

Most of the time, our customer's license from Microsoft includes the cost of SharePoint. However, if you have to buy it then SharePoint is quite expensive.

I would rate the pricing a two out of five.

Based on my areas of expertise, I have to make recommendations to our clients about which solutions they should implement. I rarely advise my clients to use SharePoint. In fact, out of ten customers, on average, I would recommend SharePoint to two or three of them.

SharePoint is simply not dedicated enough to documentation management when people are looking for a real DMS or ECM solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering SharePoint is to first define your needs and then take quite a good look at the market. For tasks including document management, ECM, or a platform content service (PCS), most of the time, you will be better served by a solution other than SharePoint. If, on the other hand, you are looking for team collaboration, then SharePoint may be a good option.

Overall, I am not very satisfied with SharePoint.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

SharePoint Designer
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    RahimKhowaja - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Information Technology Officer at BMC Solutions
    It's free, but it could be more user-friendly and have more features
    • "One of the most valuable features is that it's free. If you have SharePoint and you want to do some branding, then the only tool available is SharePoint Designer. Microsoft gives the portal, the content management system, and, on top of that, it gives you Designer. So we don't have a choice, but Designer is good."
    • "SharePoint Designer could be improved by being more user-friendly. I think that they have a new release, but the focus is on Power Automate, not Designer. Designer's interface is somewhat classical, but it should be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

One of our use cases of SharePoint is designing and branding our content management system. When somebody buys an intranet portal, like a content management system, for employees or a document management system for their company, they can buy SharePoint and use it to change the branding. Microsoft gives you default features—out-of-the-box—so if you want any changes regarding your identity, HTML, CSS, colors, or brand guidelines, then SharePoint Designer can help you to complete that task. SharePoint Designer can also be used to clear workflows. This is a tool which helps us brand the SharePoint portal and our flow sites.

In the beginning, SharePoint was deployed on-premises, but now it is deployed on the cloud, so we are always using the latest version.

What needs improvement?

Designer should contain more features. Right now, we are doing the development of web parts on Visual Studio and doing the branding on Designer. If it were possible to merge them both into one tool, it would be easier.

I have been using SharePoint Designer for 13 years.

There is no maintenance team necessary. Users can maintain it by themselves because Designer is a tool which can be deployed on each PC to work on.

In our organization, we have around eight to ten people who are developing on SharePoint Designer. We don't currently have plans to increase usage, but it depends. We are a project delivering company, and I am a project manager, so our SharePoint usage is on a project-based development. If we have a client we need to use SharePoint for, we may increase the usage, but otherwise we won't.

In 13 years, we have raised tickets two or three times. They don't call us, but when we raise tickets, then the issues can be resolved.

We also use Visual Studio from Microsoft to develop the programs for SharePoint. Designer is only for branding and workflows, but you have to use Visual Studio to actually develop the portal components and web parts. Visual Studio should be used with SharePoint.

The installation of Designer is very simple, and it doesn't take more than 30 minutes. You can download and install it yourself.

There is no licensing cost for Designer—it's free.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SharePoint Designer a six out of ten. There were some bugs, but when you are working on SharePoint, you have to recommend SharePoint Designer, for sure.

SharePoint Module Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Useful collaboration, customizable, and informative update roadmap
    • "I am a developer, and whatever is not possible with the SharePoint default feature, we make custom features available for our clients. Anything which is not possible using all the methods within the solution we can customize."
    • "SharePoint Online should continue to integrate with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

SharePoint Online is a collaborative tool. For example, if you need your coworkers to collaborate on a particular task or project SharePoint Online can be used to store your information in terms of the SharePoint list. Additionally, you can add your document or physical files there. If you need to build any kind of custom workflows or custom requirements for your business, you have the ability to do it in this solution.

What is most valuable?

SharePoint Online is not only a SharePoint standalone, but they have integrated it with other Microsoft services, such as Microsoft BI, Power Apps, and Power Automate. We can deliver any business solution using other Microsoft service, which is collaborative with SharePoint.

SharePoint have their own roadmaps, with the new features that they're coming out which is informative.

Microsoft has invested in SharePoint heavily in terms of UI, stability, performance. It is a very good solution.

What needs improvement?

SharePoint Online should continue to integrate with other solutions.

I have been using SharePoint Online for approximately 10 years.

The stability of SharePoint Online is good.

The support we have from Microsoft has been good.

I would rate the support from Microsoft a ten out of ten.

SharePoint Online has a subscription-based model for payments and the price is based on user usage.

I would rate the price of SharePoint an eight out of ten.

I didn't get a chance to explore other solutions because when I started my career, it was always SharePoint. If we were not using SharePoint, all the other options seemed to be more costly. For example, integration.

When I compare SharePoint with open source solutions, we don't have difficulties managing the operation because it's subscription-based and everything Microsoft takes care of, such as security.

What other advice do I have?

SharePoint Online has been retired and we now use SharePoint Online.

I strongly recommend this solution. If you have a Microsoft account or Office 365 account, many of the customers don't know that it has a SharePoint within. If they know it, they can manage most of their internal work through it. Having the portal allows the user to manage everything. If they have Office 365 subscription, they should invest in SharePoint because it is available for them free of cost if they have their own subscription to Office 365. However, it is now hidden in the application.

Sharepoint is a good solution and they are working towards more integration with other solutions and tools that can enable developers.

I rate SharePoint Online an eight out of ten.

Syed Fahad Anwar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal System Developer at HHRC
    A free tool for customizing pages and creating lists and libraries
    • "What I found most valuable in SharePoint Designer is that through it, you can perform a lot of SharePoint functionalities, such as creating SharePoint lists and libraries, as well as customizing pages."
    • "The pain point of SharePoint Designer is sometimes it gives you issues that can be resolved mostly by clearing the cache, but Microsoft should still work on it and make the product more stable. Another issue related to SharePoint Designer is that with the newer SharePoint versions, Microsoft hasn't released a newer version of SharePoint Designer. Instead, Microsoft is recommending that you use the same old SharePoint Designer 2013. If Microsoft updates SharePoint Designer, the product will be more beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for SharePoint Designer is customizing SharePoint.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in SharePoint Designer is that through it, you can perform a lot of SharePoint functionalities, such as creating SharePoint lists and libraries, as well as customizing pages.

What needs improvement?

The pain point of SharePoint Designer is sometimes it gives you issues that can be resolved mostly by clearing the cache, but Microsoft should still work on it and make the product more stable.

Another issue related to SharePoint Designer is that with the newer SharePoint versions, Microsoft hasn't released a newer version of SharePoint Designer. Instead, Microsoft is recommending that you use the same old SharePoint Designer 2013. If Microsoft updates SharePoint Designer, the product will be more beneficial.

I've been using SharePoint Designer for ten or twelve years now.

SharePoint Designer is a stable product, and though sometimes it gives you issues, that can be resolved by clearing the cache.

SharePoint Designer has very good scalability.

We've never contacted technical support for SharePoint Designer. We just searched some online help forums where we get solutions to any product issues.

We haven't used a different solution for SharePoint. We've only been using SharePoint Designer.

The initial setup for SharePoint Designer requires no effort because it's a client application.

We implemented SharePoint Designer in-house. In the beginning, the vendor was involved, but after that, we did it in-house.

SharePoint Designer is a free product. It's SharePoint that needs a license, not SharePoint Designer.

What other advice do I have?

Five people use SharePoint Designer within my company. Currently, there's no plan to increase the usage of the product.

One to two people take care of the deployment and maintenance of SharePoint Designer. Managers can use the product, but the technical staff uses it more.

Based on experience, I would recommend SharePoint Designer to other users because it's a product that's very easy to use, easy to set up, and provides a lot of functionalities in terms of customizing SharePoint.

My rating for SharePoint Designer is eight out of ten.

Advait Chitalia - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-founder at Atidan
    Document management and search are the most valuable features of this solution
    • "I find the document management and search of SharePoint the most valuable features."
    • "I would like to see SharePoint improve the integration with different systems. I also would like to see more customization."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case for this solution is to develop custom SharePoint sites. SharePoint is about collaboration to help improve efficiency, collaboration within teams, document management, and search. We have thousands of users in our client organization. We are a Microsoft gold partner.

How has it helped my organization?

SharePoint Designer has made information available centrally 24/7. It brings offline records online. It has made searching easy, without it document search was difficult. Communication between departments has become more effective.

What needs improvement?

We have been using SharePoint Designer for 16 years.

SharePoint is stable.

Scalability has certain limitations depending on the number of users and number of records.

The availability and quality of technical support both need improvement.

Earlier, we used Custom.NET applications however, SharePoint is much better.

The initial setup is straightforward and gets simpler with every new version. The set-up takes less than a day, but the project for full implementation takes anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks.

We used our own consultants to set up SharePoint. You need anywhere from 2 to 5 people and even upwards of 10 depending on the size of the portal to deploy and maintain SharePoint Designer.

Most of the SharePoint implementations are for the cloud which is priced per user per month. There are different plans at different costs that you can choose from.

We reviewed Custom.NET and other PHP based solutions prior to selecting SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

If you are implementing SharePoint Designer in your organization, I would recommend that you use the best practices given by Microsoft, specifically in implementation.

I would rate SharePoint an 8 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Senior Sharepoint Developer at Zak Solutions for Computer Systems
    User-friendly with helpful support and an easy set up
    • "The support on offer is helpful."
    • "The search capabilities need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the HR process. For example, we use it for personal leave, execution, and many things in HR. We create the forms and custom workflows and integrate them with Nintex workflows to automate the process.

We also integrate this database with the Oracle 12C. It's a centralized database. After the flow or the workflow is done and approved, and there are many layers of approval, it'll go to Oracle. Basically, we integrate SharePoint with Oracle 12C.

What is most valuable?

SharePoint is great for content management of data. It makes our life easier.

Integrating SharePoint with other platforms is very useful. I can integrate SharePoint with Oracle and I can integrate Oracle with many databases. This makes our life here easier.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

The support on offer is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The search capabilities need to be improved. They tried to make it better in the 2019 version, however, there's still more they can do.

If the design code is in HTML, there is a bit of freezing that happens when opening in Sharepoint.

I've been working with the solution for six years, and now I'm working as a programmer.

Just our developers use the solution. There are maybe 15 or so people using it at this time.

Technical support has been excellent. They are always very helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with the level of support we get.

I'm working on Nintex workflow and forms plus SharePoint.

Also, I'm working in Azure, Power Apps, and Microsoft.

I found the initial setup to be very straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex or difficult. I deploy it every day for the end users. It's very easy.

We pay the licensing fees on a yearly basis. It's just a standard fee and there are no extras we need to add on or pay for.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very user-friendly solution.

It makes programming and designing customization easier.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

facility manager
    An online platform for retrieving, storing and exchanging documents
    • "Retrieving documents and uploading them is easy."
    • "If they included some training modules, I would give them a ten, because that would make it even more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Within our organization, there are roughly 3,000 people, but very few of them interact with SharePoint Designer. We plan on using this solution in the future.

How has it helped my organization?

It stopped us from having to run around, manually exchanging documents. It's an online system, easy to access, and complete with document storage. Retrieving documents and uploading them is easy.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is good; it's easy to manage.

I have been using SharePoint Designer for approximately one year.

SharePoint Designer is a very stable solution.

We have our own IT team that handles most maintenance related problems. When we have interacted with customer support, they have always helped us.

Before SharePoint Designer was introduced, we used to have a manual documentation system — we had to run from one corner of the building to the other, looking for someone. SharePoint has made things a lot easier.

We did a revamp. We migrated from another version. A team then showed us how to operate it properly and made sure we were very comfortable navigating it. It's very easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SharePoint Designer a rating of nine. If they included some training modules, I would give them a ten, because that would make it even more user-friendly.

Private Cloud