IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Scality RING8 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Software Defined Storage (SDS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Scality RING8?
Scality RING object storage enables enterprises and cloud service providers to run petabyte-scale, data-rich services like web applications, VOD, active archives, compliance archives, and private storage clouds. The RING is software, so you can deploy it on standard x86 servers of your choice, taking advantage of server and media innovation over time. Acting as a single, distributed system, the RING can scale linearly across thousands of servers, multiple sites, and an unlimited number of objects. Data is protected with policy-based replication, erasure coding, and geo-distribution, achieving up to 14 9s of durability and 100% availability.

Scality RING8 was previously known as Scality RING, RING8.

Scality RING8 Customers
Comcast, TimeWarner Cable, EuroSport, Orange, Deluxe, DailtMotion, SFR, RTL, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Telstra

Archived Scality RING8 Reviews (more than two years old)

Project Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Low cost storage system that has good support
  • "I think it's the economic factor. This solution has the lowest cost for storage systems."
  • "When we used this solution in 2015, it was not scalable at all. I don't know if they have improved on that, but at the time, scalability was just horrible."

What is our primary use case?

We used Scality during the capacity extension.

What is most valuable?

I think it's the economic factor. This solution has the lowest cost for storage systems.

What needs improvement?

If I had to choose a new aspect for the system, it would be the rebalancing. The ease of use during capacity upgrades would be the most important improvement. I don't know if they manage it better right now or not, but it was really horrible to extend capacity on Scality at the time that I used it. When you add new servers in the node or ring, Scality does rebalancing to split the workload across all the nodes and servers. It moves the data from one server to another.

I did a backup for someone else, so I only have one month of experience with Scality. I did the project though and from there I just followed up with the associate or management of the project.
Software Defined Storage (SDS)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Scality, Red Hat, Dell Technologies and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: June 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is stability.

When we used this solution in 2015, it was not scalable at all. I don't know if they have improved on that, but at the time, scalability was just horrible. It's used within Orange in France, which handles petabytes of data. I don't know exactly how much it was, but I think we are talking about five, or even more than that. When I worked on this project, it was during migration. It is definitely getting higher and higher in terms of capacity that you can use.

Scality's technical support team is good.

I'm starting to work on a project now with ScaleIO. The engineering team suggests migrating to Red Hat Ceph. I don't know yet what their reasons are, but that was the information I got two weeks ago. I am now starting to look for information comparing the products. For the project I'm working on now, we need block storage, so Scality is not an option in this case. Scality is used for object storage and here we are talking about another solution for block storage. Today we are using ScaleIO, which engineering recommends. It's a common thing to migrate to Red Hat Ceph.

My experience in 2015 was that it was not easy. Each time we needed to get the Scality professional services to help us at that time.

What other advice do I have?

I think I would recommend Scality but there is another solution that I'm going to dig into more, which is OpenIO. Right now for new projects, I don't know yet if I'm going to recommend Scality or OpenIO. Most probably OpenIO, but it's not necessarily based on technical features. It's because we have a commercial agreement with OpenIO. I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

Storage Service Platform & Storage Enabler Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
This product is interesting if you target a least 10 PB.

What is most valuable?

S3 and CDMI, restful API for object access, are useful for deploying standard S3 or CDMI-based applications such as cloud backup, email.

Erasure coding technologies permit to reduce storage costs by providing the same security as replication but with less storage resources.

Scality permit to deploy a data/metadata ring on 2 sites, a specific DRP ring on a remote site.

Each ring can have its own QoS (Rep3, EC,…) in order to provide application-based SLAs

How has it helped my organization?

We have benefitted from cloud storage adoption.

What needs improvement?

S3 complete compliance which is planned for v6.

I have used this solution for five years.

Only at the beginning because of a specific implementation issue.

Adding a storage node is simple but rebalancing takes a long time (several weeks).

The technical support is correct.

Scality is the first cloud storage product we have used.

The setup was complex.

This product is interesting if you target a least 10 PB.

We evaluated SwiftStack, Cleversafe, HDS Content Platform, and Mezeo.

What other advice do I have?

Take care of S3 compliance and metadata ring architecture.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company invested in Scality after deploying it at the relevant scale.
Download our free Software Defined Storage (SDS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Scality, Red Hat, Dell Technologies, and more!
Updated: June 2022