We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

SAS Enterprise Miner OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAS Enterprise Miner is #5 ranked solution in top Data Mining tools and #10 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. PeerSpot users give SAS Enterprise Miner an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAS Enterprise Miner is most commonly compared to IBM SPSS Modeler: SAS Enterprise Miner vs IBM SPSS Modeler. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is SAS Enterprise Miner?
SAS Enterprise Miner is a solution to create accurate predictive and descriptive models on large volumes of data across different sources in the organization. SAS Enterprise Miner offers many features and functionalities for the business analysts to model their data. Some of the business applications are for detecting fraud, minimizing risk, resource demands, reducing asset downtime, campaigns and reduce customer attrition.

SAS Enterprise Miner was previously known as Enterprise Miner.

Download the Data Mining Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

SAS Enterprise Miner Customers
Generali Hellas, Gitanjali Group, Gloucestershire Constabulary, GS Home Shopping, HealthPartners, IAG New Zealand, iJET, Invacare
SAS Enterprise Miner Video

Archived SAS Enterprise Miner Reviews (more than two years old)

Shilpa Prakash
Analytics Lead at Pegasus
Good stability, very good data analysis tool pack and excellent documentation
  • "Most of the features, especially on the data analysis tool pack, are really good. The way they do clustering and output is great. You can do fairly elaborate outputs. The results, the ensembles, all of these, are fantastic."
  • "Virtualization could be much better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used in any domain, including banking, insurance, health care, partitions, classifications, etc. It's basically a complete solution, that helps with data client consolidation.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a VSL service provider, so improvement to an organization depends on how the client designs the implementation for the plan. Clients would be better reviewers of how the solution has improved their organizations.

What is most valuable?

Most of the features, especially on the data analysis tool pack, are really good. The way they do clustering and output is great. You can do fairly elaborate outputs. The results, the ensembles, all of these, are fantastic.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be faster.

Virtualization could be much better.

The solution could add some freeware. The text analytics, for example, aren't there in the VSL version. It requires a separate license. It should be included in the main solution's license as it's a basic requirement. It's shouldn't cost extra.

I've been working with the solution for four years.

The stability of the solution is good. We've never found any issues. It's compatible through any open-source solution. It's also very flexible for us to use in any of the parameters, unlike a few other professional products that we have used. With RedHat, for example, there is not the flexibility of changing the parameters and we are forced to use one or two version features.

I haven't tried to scale because we don't have an extensive user base, so I can't speak to scalability.

We haven't been in touch with technical support, but the documentation is quite elaborate, so I don't believe we'll need to reach out to them that much.

We previously used IBM products. This solution is more flexible and robust.

The initial setup was complex, but the support for the solution is good, so it was an okay implementation.

Deployment times vary. If there's a device, the SAS administrator can set it up pretty fast. Otherwise, for a first time user, it takes a while. Having administrator services helps a lot.

The solution is quite expensive. The pricing is too high.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a SAS Enterprise Miner certified professional. I'm both a consultant and a user of the solution.

Our company is using the on-premises deployment model, although we mostly use in-house products. I use the desktop version for our clients. We might use the Cloud, depending on what the client is comfortable with. Most of our clients are enterprises.

I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to look at the costs and licensing to see if it is within your organization's budget.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Director at EBI
Scalable, with good functional, but the languarge integration is not good
  • "he solution is scalable."
  • "The solution needs an easier interface for the user. The user experience isn't so easy for our clients."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data mining and machine learning.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps the organization to build the DS part easily.

What is most valuable?

The data processing of the solution is very good, easy to use, both for enterprise and personal use.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a language integration like Python for the user with more efficiency programming; SAS is kind of a powerful tool in past years that focus in SAS environment. but Python is more open and popular, which will be more acceptable in today's data science area.

I've been using the solution for about ten years.

The stability isn't perfect. We have issues with accuracy. In some AI forecasting areas, and the accuracy is not as good as the clients need it to be.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support for the solution is okay.

The initial setup is not so easy. Not many clients know much about the AI, so it's difficult to educate our clients on AI tech in order to make them feel comfortable using the product once it's implemented. Deployment takes about three to six months.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

Our clients want to use more popular and more open-source tools, so SAS isn't so popular in our region.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate the solution higher if it was easier to use. Right now, it requires too much effort to explain the tool to clients.

Find out what your peers are saying about SAS, IBM, Knime and others in Data Mining. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Model Development at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good for modeling and data mining but needs to show development history
  • "The solution is very good for data mining or any mining issues."
  • "The solution is very stable, but we do have some problems with discrepancies involving SAS not matching with the latest Java versions. It's not stable in cases where SAS tries to run on a different version because SAS doesn't connect with the latest Java update. Once a month we need to restart systems from scratch."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for modeling and a lot of business processes with lots of data.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good for data mining or any mining issues.

What needs improvement?

We are using a very old version of SAS Miner, so I'm not sure if my opinions would be relevant for many people as they may be out-of-date.

From my point of view, a useful feature that we need from this tool is a history of development. When a user develops a model, each step of development requires new steps, and we want to be able to audit all these steps due to our regulatory requirements in model development. In SAS, we just copy via a screenshot from the system and put it in some document that covers the relevant stage. I know other systems have a feature to audit all steps to show what the user has done through the entire process of developing a model. It would be a time saver for us.

The preparation of both the mining and modeling process could be improved. The solution requires data and will reflect data, but the preparation of the data is not useful for end-users. We ended up having to do the preparation in another tool.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

I've never contacted SAS technical support as I'm not part of the technical department team. There's another department in our company that handles this.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. You just have to install it on the server and the users can connect to the server to access it.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We were using the on-premises deployment model, however recently we switched solutions and now we are using FICO instead of SAS.

I'd recommend an open-source product over SAS, as I believe them to be the future.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Founder and CEO with 11-50 employees
Scalable and stable, but needs a better user interface
  • "The setup is straightforward. Deployment doesn't take more than 30 minutes."
  • "The user interface of the solution needs improvement. It needs to be more visual."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for text mining.

What is most valuable?

Normally I use the SAS 6 Miner, it's a component of SAS Enterprise Miner. It's very useful.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three years.

The stability of the solution, especially 14.3, is very good.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support has been good. At the start of using the product, I had issues. I called them and they were very helpful. I'd rate them five out of five.

The setup is straightforward. Deployment doesn't take more than 30 minutes.

For me, the pricing is $3000 monthly for the license. There aren't any additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, I am using the desktop version of the solution, but I do plan to move to the cloud.

In terms of advice, I'd tell other organizations to be specific about their use case as there are many components that can be used.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

V Shekhar Avasthy
Chief Data Scientist & Principal Consultant, StatLabs® at Facts n Data™ at a consultancy
Enables Statistical Modeling Of Data Using Base SAS Although Limited GUI is a drawback

What is most valuable?

It enables statistical modeling of data using Base SAS (another product from the same vendor) as the backbone. One can create visual models to see the steps involved in modelling of data.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Base SAS, one can do statistical analysis of data. However, Base SAS is completely code driven (doesn't have any GUI). This is a big limitation as statisticians, often, are not so good at programming. SAS Enterprise Miner extends GUI capability and visual appeal to Base SAS, to a good extent.

What needs improvement?

The product is still not as intuitive as one would like it to be. For example, a competing product, IBM SPSS Modeler is nearly completely GUI driven, while SAS Enterprise Miner lacks some features. Plus it is prohibitively expensive and is not available with perpetual licensing.

Over seven years.

Not many.

It gets painfully slow with raw data in excess of 50GB and one has to go for multi-socket server based licensing that gets prohibitively expensive.

Email based support has a turnaround time of about 24 hours which is not good.

We use multiple solutions simultaneously.

Initial setup was OK. Not too complex, not too simple.

It has an annual licensing policy with an annual renewal of almost 35%. The initial cost (and therefore renewals) are extremely expensive. One can possibly invest that much in hardware and possibly go in for products like R that are very cheap in terms of total cost of ownership.

For clarity, R is an open source tool but with the limitation that it's an in-memory tool. When dealing with large datasets, RAM becomes an issue. R is much more flexible. So, rather that investing in a SAS license, we prefer to invest in high RAM hardware (256/512GB RAM) and use R.

Another issue with R is that native version is a single core product. Even if you have a multi-core CPU, it uses a single core. However, Microsoft R, a free version from Microsoft, does away with that limitation. There is also a multi-core (paid) version of R available through Microsoft which does away with in-memory limitation and works out to be much cheaper than SAS Enterprise Miner.

IBM SPSS Modeler, RapidMiner, R.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure of your needs. In most scenarios, the pricing of SAS Enterprise Miner is not justified by the value it adds.

it_user78834
Director of Information Manager Unit at BCI with 501-1,000 employees
It helps us obtain better campaign results, though the graphic capabilities could be improved.

Valuable Features:

Quantity models for data mining Performance is excellent

Improvements to My Organization:

Helps one of the banks where I've worked (CGD at Portugal) to have more knowledge of their clients Helps us obtain better campaign results (credit cards, etc).

Room for Improvement:

Price of the product Graphing functionalities

Valuable Features:

• Quantity models for data mining
  • Performance is excellent

Improvements to My Organization:

• Helps one of the banks where I've worked (CGD at Portugal) to have more knowledge of their clients
  • Helps us obtain better campaign results (credit cards, etc).

Room for Improvement:

• Price of the product
  • Graphing functionalities