IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Safe-T Secure Application Access OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Enterprise Infrastructure VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Safe-T Secure Application Access?

Safe-T is a provider of Zero Trust Access solutions which mitigate attacks on enterprises’ business-critical services and sensitive data, while ensuring uninterrupted business continuity.

Safe-T’s cloud and on-premises solutions ensure that an organization’s access use cases, whether into the organization or from the organization out to the internet, are secured according to the “validate first, access later” philosophy of Zero Trust.

This means that no one is trusted by default from inside or outside the network, and verification is required from everyone trying to gain access to resources on the network or in the cloud.

Safe-T’s wide range of access solutions reduce organizations’ attack surface and improve their ability to defend against modern cyberthreats. As an additional layer of security, our integrated business-grade global proxy solution cloud service enables smooth and efficient traffic flow, interruption-free service, unlimited concurrent connections, instant scaling and simple integration with our services.

With Safe-T’s patented reverse-access technology and proprietary routing technology, organizations of all size and type can secure their data, services and networks against internal and external threats.

At Safe-T, we empower enterprises to safely migrate to the cloud and enable digital transformation.

Safe-T Secure Application Access was previously known as Safe-T SDA, Safe-T, Safe-T Software-Defined Access.

Safe-T Secure Application Access Customers

Government of Israel, eviCore Healthcore, Glen Imaging, Sarin, LBG, Rollomatic, Boegli-Gravures SA, Banque Heritage, Groupe Minoteries, Temenos, ZEK, RLM Finsbury, Harel Insurance, Meitav Dash

Safe-T Secure Application Access Video

Archived Safe-T Secure Application Access Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user787671 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network and Security Engineer
Needs to be easier to configure and to display logs more simply

What is most valuable?

We use only it for scanning files for viruses. That's the only feature we use in this product.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be easier to configure, it should be something that's working well with other sources. It should be something that allows me to see the logs simply.

Sometimes it doesn't work with a particular external program. Sometimes the process doesn't work but I don't know if the problem is on the Safe-T side or if it's the external program.
Enterprise Infrastructure VPN
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Safe-T, Palo Alto Networks, OpenVPN and others in Enterprise Infrastructure VPN. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Yes, we've used support but only their support in Israel. I would rate them a seven out of 10. They need someone who has more experience with Safe-T.

We didn't have a previous solution.

Complex, because of the REST API and the like.

We did evaluate other options. My manager led that project from the business side, while I'm on the support side. We had some other options, but he chose the Safety because of the price.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure what advice I would give others about this product because I don't like Safe-T.
it_user790473 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager | Leader | IT | Cyber Security | Cloud | Devops at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The architecture is open to integration and development, making the product very flexible
  • "the security level is very high. After we tested it and checked all the security aspects of the product, we found that it's highly secure."
  • "If you want a very flexible system that you can easily integrate, and develop interfaces for it or plug-ins to other application environments, it's probably the most flexible"
  • "One important thing that we haven't found in this product is the ability to provide a read-only view for documents. Also, the ability for the customer to add annotations to these documents."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for securing our emails, with the sensitive data that we're sending to our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of in-house applications that we must integrate with a secure email system. We are a financial institute, so we must use it to send emails to our customers securely, because these emails contain sensitive customer data.

The architecture of the product is very open to development, plug-ins and integration with in-house systems. We have been able integrate this system into our CRM and other operational systems. We didn't find that kind of flexibility in other secure email products.

We have also been able to customize the user interface so it is branded and able to "talk" our marketing language.

There is also a local Israeli vendor that helps us to improve the product, add the new features.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility.

Also, the security level is very high. After we tested it and checked all the security aspects of the product, we found that it's highly secure.

What needs improvement?

One important thing that we haven't found in this product is the ability to provide a read-only view for documents. Also, the ability for the customer to add annotations to these documents. I'm talking about the second model in this product that allows you to transfer files to customers. One of the features that we haven't found is the ability to provide read-only documents, securely, that provide the ability for the customer to add their own modifications to the document.

Three to five years.

It's very stable. We have a few hundred thousand customers and we need a very stable product. It's actually a very stable and robust platform.

We haven't found any limitation to our needs, not in the volume aspect, the number of emails or transactions, or any other issues that could be problematic with other products. We haven't found any issues like that with this product.

They are very responsive. When you create a new issue, they're responding very quickly. In some cases, they have the solution and they'll guide us on how to deal with the issue. I would rate them nine out of 10.

But, if you lack a feature or there is something that you cannot implement, they are very responsive and say, "We will develop it in the next version, or other versions." But it's not always in the timeline that is good for us, in a reasonable timeframe. They will never say, "We can't do that." As a customer, I prefer the vendor to tell me, "We cannot do that," or "We can do that in this timeframe." But that's not always happening. This is the area I would give a seven out of 10.

In Ayalon, the organization I'm working for now, we haven't used any other secure email product before this one.

It's not the simplest, but it's not so complicated. It's very dependent on how you are implementing it. Because we had much more complicated requirements for integrating to our in-house system, it may have taken longer than to take it and implement it in the most straightforward, standard way. It's not a complicated product to implement.

We looked at three products before we made the decision that Safe-T fit our needs best. Cisco and CyberArk Solutions were the others. Those were tested and we found they did not fit our needs.

We found the other two product are not so flexible for integrating. We found these products are okay for normal use, for a straightforward implementation. If I want to send secure emails to my customers, and I don't want to integrate it to anything, like an email server, maybe we would have chosen another solution. But the IT environment in financial institutes, it's much more complicated because we have a lot of applications in the environment that are not the standard. So Safe-T was very flexible in the way we could use and integrate it with our system.

What other advice do I have?

I would say to other customers: Check your requirements and your expectations from a secure email product. Are you going to implement it in a straightforward way or do you have the need to integrate it into your system?

If you do not have the need to integrate it into an operational application, you may have many other products to choose from. But if you want a very flexible system that you can easily integrate, and develop interfaces for it or plug-ins to other application environments, it's probably the most flexible.

I rate it a nine out of 10 overall, because it's easy to use and integrate. You can easily integrate it and fit the system to your organization's needs. That's a very huge advantage. In terms of improvement, they need to be much more strict regarding the roadmap, about timelines and when new features will be up in production. That's a very important thing from the customer's point of view. I don't know what is happening today, because we chose this system four years ago. So maybe they've improved in this area since then.

Enterprise Infrastructure VPN
June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user790539 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Administrator
Improved the security of our customers' confidential data

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved the security for our customers, because we are sending a lot of customers a bill with financial data and ID, things that are confidential. So, the security of our customer data, this is really an improvement. Also, because we are under regulations, we are committed to do this.

What is most valuable?

We have two features that we use. One is the Outlook add-on, where we're sending emails from Outlook to external users. Every employee has this add-on in his Outlook email account.

And the other, if there is a machine that sends emails automatically to the customer, this is also a feature from Safe-T that we use.

What needs improvement?

A lot of the improvements I have wanted, I already notified them about them. And there are really improving it. They really consider my suggestions and improve that feature.

I don't think there is something critical that is problematic, that they have to improve.

When we have something that we want improved, it takes a little bit of time until it can be fixed. It's not right away. It takes time to improve an issue.

Three to five years.

It's really stable. We built a test server, and we did all the tests there. And then we did a pilot with a number of people, so we didn't go into production with everyone at once. We do it, monitor it. If there's bugs and fixes, they are applied for us.

We didn't rush into production, we did a little, bit by bit. We didn't apply it to every employee of our company. And if there are bugs we tell them, and they will fix them. Then we add others and then we upgrade or we install that feature to all our employees.

I would rate tech support as a nine out of 10.

We didn't use another product before. We did a lot of research about which we should use, about three or four years ago. I didn't do the check, it was someone else who did the check.

It was a little bit complex at the beginning, because this is a new feature, and because we had a lot of customization that we wanted, especially for our company. And they really managed all this customization that we wanted.

If you want something particular or something improved or maybe to change something, you can change a lot of things in the Safe-T software. I don't think we got an answer from Safe-T that said, "We can't do it," or "We won't to do it." Every request we made, they said, "Okay we can, it will take a while to develop it." But at the end of the day it's really good and really improved.

This is the only option we use. We didn't have another product other than Safe-T. Maybe there are a lot of companies, but I didn't really know them. We are already satisfied by this product. If we weren't satisfied, we would think about another product, but we don't.

What other advice do I have?

Create a big test environment, because there is a lot of customization and things that you need to do to Safe-T. We needed to do a lot of customization. Of course, the customization that we did in our company, it's not the same as what you will need for your company. There are a lot of PoCs that you need to do. But Safe-T, it really has the features, changes that can be made. Do a big and long PoC on that, and if you see that it's a really good product and you really enjoy the product, then buy it and use it.

it_user787734 - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Manager
The Outlook plug-in and the user interface make it easy to use
  • "Safe-T is very good for users because it has plug-in for Outlook."

What is our primary use case?

We need to send encrypted emails to customers with an OTP, an SMS password.

What is most valuable?

I'm only using the secure email.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of something that needs to be improved. We only use the feature to secure email.

Sometimes there is a problem with stability but we contact support.

No issues with scalability.

The support is amazing. I work with a guy named Johnny. Support is very good.

No, we didn't have a previous solution.

It was straightforward. I think it took one day or so.

The pricing is good. It's better than CyberArk.

We checked CyberArk, but we choose Safe-T. We compared them, but Safe-T is very good for users because it has a plug-in for Outlook. I think it works more easily for users; not as complex as CyberArk.

We choose the product just because of the user interface, and the Outlook.

What other advice do I have?

When we needed to create a special job, to connect to Safe-T's system, to create an automatic job that publishes email, Safe-T helped us to do the job.

it_user787674 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at a retailer with 51-200 employees
    The web version enables out-of-office users to securely send large files
    • "It's easy to use over the web. A user who is not in the office can use it and securely insert files."
    • "The Outlook agent is not working well for installing it in the entire office."

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to use over the web. So a user who is not in the office can use it over the web, and insert files very securely.

What is most valuable?

• Sending big files via the software to a customer's email, and receiving from a customer's email.
    • The interface is very simple.

What needs improvement?

We only use this feature. This feature works well, so I don't know what else would need improvement.

Maybe the Outlook agent is not working well for installing it in the entire office, but most of the users work over the web and not with the client.

The biggest problem of the web version is the limit of 2GB. But if someone needs to send bigger files, you can install the agent on the Outlook, and this is the solution.

Three to five years.

No issues with scalability.

When we call support, it's answered very quickly. It's very good. I would say they're a nine out of 10. I work with the one person there, and he always answers for me.

I didn't use a previous solution. When we decided to work with secure files, we installed this software.

It's not complex. They do it. When I need to upgrade, I call them and they do it very quickly.

What other advice do I have?

It's very good. Install it. This is the solution you need. It works well. Of course, it depends what you need. If you need a solution for sending big files to customers or for receiving large files from them, this is a very good solution.

it_user786789 - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO with 201-500 employees
    Enables us to deliver sensitive data securely via email, while maintaining our regulations

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for sending encrypted and large mail from our Outlook instances.

How has it helped my organization?

We need to deliver some very sensitive data to some of our colleagues in another organization. This product allows us to actually send it straight from our email to the other person's email in a safe way, where we can meet all our regulations and still keep the data in our control.

What is most valuable?

Using it for sending safe emails. Actually, what it does, it does not send the email itself, there's a link to a website where we actually host the data on our side.

What needs improvement?

Better UI. A better UI for the people that manage all the processes of Safe-T. Some of the UI is not as intuitive as you would like it to be.

Sometimes, when you configure the process that you want to work with, it's more complicated than you would want, and you need support to do it. You actually get a bit confused as to how to configure what you want and you need the support. As a manager, I would my people to be able to configure it themselves, and not need the support of the company, of Safe-T.

No, crashes, no lags. It's stable.

Until now, no, there hasn't been any problem with scalability, there haven't been any issues of people waiting. I can't say that we have actually had any problem with the scalability.

We haven't used it, yet, for a large number of people.

We have used tech support more than once. I would rate them an eight out of 10.

We used the kind of solution that was inside our mail gateway, that allowed to send secure email. But it didn't have all the features that Safe-T has. So we switched to it because it's a stand-alone product, it has a lot of other little things that our product didn't have, and it's much easier to manage.

It was complex. You cannot install it by yourself, you must have the company install it for you.

And they did, of course. They worked here for a few days. For that kind of product, a few days is a lot of time.

We did evaluate other options. We did have other options but we did not do a PoC of the other products, so I cannot compare them. The decision was made, mostly, based on the price.

I think it brings value for the price. But you should ask again, about two years from now, when our contract will end, or in the three years' time, and then I'll be more informed, but right now it seems worth it.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that the best advice is to be clear what you expect from the product. The product has lots of processes that you can use, not just sending email. We use it for other things like sending large emails. We transfer, or something like that, we use it for secure, large files. And there are other things that we weren't exactly sure how we to implement. So definitely, if I'm going to a new product, I would be thinking more about what the processes are; exactly how you want the process to work.

I rate it about an 8 out of 10. If you want to bring it to a 10, I think you have to deal with the things that I mentioned above, the UI and the intuitiveness of the system. It's supposed to be built like Lego bricks, you put one brick on the other and go left, right, up, down, whatever you want, but sometimes it's not clear how to do that. I think that's the issue to manage.

it_user781407 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Sales VP at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    They offer competitive pricing to similar products in the market, but do not offer 24/7 support

How has it helped my organization?

Safe-T SDA has allow my organization to secure my office applications. It makes it harder for hackers to be able to hack into my internal office web applications.

For Safe-T SDE, it has allow my organization to be able to store large files, which have confidential data inside securely. This gives me the peace of mind that my confidential data will not be easily stolen by any unauthorized access.

What is most valuable?

For Safe-T SDA, the feature of two factor authentication using SMS OTP to access the internal applications is the most valuable. This is because if anyone steals my user ID and static password, they still cannot access my internal applications because they would require the OTP which is sent to my mobile phone.

For Safe-T SDE, the feature of being able to store files larger than 15GB and storing them encrypted is valuable to me. In this way, I have a much cheaper alternative to Google Drive and Dropbox. As Dropbox is now only offering 2GB free and Google Drive is only offering 15GB free. Dropbox and Google Drive do not offer encryption of files at an economical price.

What needs improvement?

For Safe-T SDA, one area of improvement would be the way the license is done. Whenever any of the IP addresses of the Safe-T SDA is changed, a new license request needs to be created and a new license needs to be imported. Another area of improvement would be the administration management. Safe-T needs to consider using a single URL to configure the different Safe-T SDA units which are deployed in the organization.

For Safe-T SDE, the web user interface currently does not support the configurations of every feature. It does not support the configuration of the web server in the Safe-T SDE. Another area of improvement for Safe-T SDE is the creation of new connectors. The UI and the procedure in creating a new connector is pretty tedious. This procedure is not well documented.

For Safe-T SDA, there are no stability issues.

For Safe-T SDE, there are occasional issues with stability. There is also stability issue in the SmarTransfer client in Safe-T SDE.

For Safe-T SDA, there are no issues in scalability.

For Safe-T SDE, there is a slight issue with the scalability, as it does not easily support data replication and does not support more than 5,000 users in a single Safe-T SDE instance.

Currently, they are not able to offer 24/7 support as the support covers only office hours in the Israel time zone. They operate only between Sunday to Thursday.

I did not use a different solution before.

The initial setup for the Safe-T SDA is easy and straightforward. Installing the Safe-T SDA can easily take less than 15 minutes. You just need to configure the IP address, generate the license request, import the license from Safe-T, then add in the required rules. It is that easy.

Setting up Safe-T SDE is very complex. It is not straightforward, and it requires much understanding on the concepts of the product. For the Safe-T SDE, you will need to understand the different accessibility combinations of users, access rights, and the folders access. There are many combinations, many policies, many rules, and many access rights to understand before you start to set up.

The pricing is reasonable. They can be competitive to similar products in the market.

What other advice do I have?

They need to know their requirements clearly. They need to be familiar with their architecture of the current network.

Raphael Poujaud - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Support Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Products are stable and scalable, and the personal touch of the sales engineers is appreciated

What is most valuable?

The file scanner is a solution of various types of files through commercial professional scanning engines, allowing entry of material to personal computers and networks.

Safe-T SMFT « Secure Managed File Transfer » Safe-T assures the management of contents and collaboration for companies by offering a management of transfer of files (SMFT) through a secure solution, which uses a platform of integration of the safety integrated into third applications and systems of company for the end-to-end safety.

Safe-T SMFT offers the possibility of creating and managing procedures for the division of contents, including E-mail Safe-T Secure, which can become integrated easily into the existing working flows, while rationalizing the processes of safety.

How has it helped my organization?

The cloud solution is not that great specially with Swiss customers. An on-premise server should still be a solution available (always). It should not be restrained to cloud technology.

At the same time, we can see some improvement, but Safe-T must always care to have the right amount of support people trained depending on their personal development.

Approximately six years, after getting in touch with a sales representative from Safe-T.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

As Head of Support, we have been in contact with the Safe-T support team many times and work closely together.

From a technical point of view, I would rate them a nine out of 10.

Products are stable and scalable. and we do appreciate the personal touch the sales engineers (SE) support and development bring. As well, we appreciate the personal touch of the sales support, the free online, and web-based training.

The initial setup is not straightforward. At the same time, it is not that complex, as long you follow the training: Just having an image to deploy to make the installation much easier.

Before implementing, we had the opportunity to implement and test the Safe-T solution inside our business.

No other products at the time were available. Now, more products are trying to propose the same type of solution, but they are not as efficient as Safe-T, or at least not at the same price range.

What other advice do I have?

The company works closely together with you.