IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Pulse Connect Secure OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pulse Connect Secure is #2 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools and #9 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give Pulse Connect Secure an average rating of 8 out of 10. Pulse Connect Secure is most commonly compared to OpenVPN Access Server: Pulse Connect Secure vs OpenVPN Access Server. Pulse Connect Secure is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Pulse Connect Secure?
The Pulse Connect Secure enables you to give employees, partners, and customers secure and controlled access to your corporate data and applications including file servers, Web servers, native messaging and e-mail clients, hosted servers, and more from outside your trusted network using just a Web browser.
Pulse Connect Secure Customers
Axcient, Baloise Group, Cygate, Catholic University of America, Datec Inc, Revlon, Santa Monica Networks, 7-Eleven
Pulse Connect Secure Video

Archived Pulse Connect Secure Reviews (more than two years old)

Miroslav Prokes - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of IT Technical Department at Prague Stock Exchange
Provides good security for our virtual desktops while working remotely from home
  • "The most valuable feature is being able to securely connect and use virtual desktops."
  • "This solution normally works but at times, we have had trouble with connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to create a secure connection for our virtual desktops when we are working from home or other remote locations.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution normally works but at times, we have had trouble with connectivity. Disconnections are not regularly happening but they do cause us problems. This type of instability is very serious and we don’t know why the disconnections happen. We have a license for 50 users and there are only 25 of us, yet sometimes it is a problem. It is not easy to create a connection, so this is something that should be improved.

We have been suing Pulse Connect Secure for between four and five years. We began using this solution when it was still owned and managed by Juniper Networks.
SSL VPN
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Pulse Secure, Cisco, Citrix and others in SSL VPN. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have experienced instability because of intermittent disconnections. We use this solution on a daily basis. Things have also changed recently because of the COVID crisis. Prior to this, many people did not work from home. Now, however, most people are working from their homes and need a secure connection.

Scalability does not seem to be a problem. We currently have 50 licenses and close to 25 regular users. We expect this to increase because we have 80 or 90 people in total, who may be working from home.

I have not spoken with technical support personally. I believe that support is given through our local partner.

Our in-house team performed the implementation and deployment, including the RSA token.

We are now looking for another solution because our infrastructure is from Cisco and we have the VPN concentrator. Half of our staff are using Cisco VPN. It is without an RSA token and our users are saying that it is more stable. It is also easier because they only need to use a name and password.

What other advice do I have?

From my research and experiences, I would say that this is not the best solution on the market, but it is one of the best. When it comes to setting up a super-secret connection, it may not be possible to make it much easier. I think that when it comes to a secret connection with two-factor authentication, you need to follow the steps. The only real complaint that I have about Pulse Connect Secure is the instability that comes from the disconnections. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Girish Vyas - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The flexibility enables us to design solutions well, save effort and cost, and better support customers
  • "I can safely say this is one of the best solutions I have seen for VPN access. It can achieve what other vendors may not be able to. This product will train you about exactly what an SSL should be. You can leverage it to do whatever you wish, the way you wish to do it. This is the solution if you want a perfectly scalable product for your enterprise that can help your mobile users and integrate with the latest technologies."
  • "Zero test FDP (Fraud Protection and Prevention) should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Pulse Connect Secure as a secure VPN device connection solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to be flexible with our changing requirements. Our social environment supplies each customer with a different solution, so it could become tedious without a multi-themed solution. That would cost our organization money. At the same time, it will cost in quality of service to the customer. Because of the flexibility we can design solutions well, save effort and cost, and support customers better.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is flexibility. All the features have served their purpose for us because it is so flexible. It can achieve every solution that you expect it to or can be integrated with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

Features that we would like to see in future releases include:

• Zero test FDP (Fraud Protection and Prevention).
  • Improving customization like make an IVS for servicing multiple transactions from one customer. It is possible now but could be simplified.
  • Bandwidth monitoring. It is functional but can be better with graphs, like exactly bandwidth is used per user.
  • Telemetry or IPFIX support could also be useful for reporting. We can do that ourselves but it would be a good addition to the package.
  • An STP solution, which is relatively new to the market.

The organization has been using this solution for about 10 years.

The version we are currently using is very stable. The previous version had many problems but they have been resolved.

For scalability, I would give it a 10 out of10. The solution is not just scalable, it's available, too. You can actually put two devices in a cluster so if one machine goes down service is not interrupted. You can add other configurations as well.

The customer support is awesome. If you give them the problem they'll give you the solution immediately. If not, they'll go find out what the problem is. They also can route a future request through sales and get it taken care of as a hotfix.

The level of support justifies the price.

Personally, I have used Cisco ASI and F5 devices. Pulse Connect Secure was already in place at this company when I arrived, so for this company there was no reason to test or use another solution.

It was not very difficult to deploy and can be done in minutes. They have very good documentation so you can always rely on it for answers. However, the time for deployment will differ depending on the skill and experience of the user who is deploying it. The deployment is pretty fast if you're just doing the regular SSL VPN proxy connection. If you're doing something more complex, it will take around two days. If you're doing an automation configuration for the first time and have never done it before, it is difficult because you have to read the documentation and train. At maximum that would take a week. Once you are used to the UI, it will be a matter of minutes.

The return on investment is utility. It services all our needs so we can better service our customers.

The cost of the product is high, but worth it because of the utility and great product support.

What other advice do I have?

I can safely say this is one of the best solutions I have seen for VPN access. It can achieve what other vendors may not be able to. This product will train you about exactly what an SSL should be. You can leverage it to do whatever you wish, the way you wish to do it. This is the solution if you want a perfectly scalable product for your enterprise that can help your mobile users and integrate with the latest technologies.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.

SSL VPN
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
2nd Line Firewall Engineer for UK&I Customers at Atos
MSP
Review about Pulse Connect Secure

What is most valuable?

Integration with third party RADIUS Server for OTP Password (secondary). It can combine a group of users for particular roles.

What needs improvement?

It could be more user-friendly and not as complicated as it is right now.

For around three years.

I have never used their customer service.

I have never used their technical support.

it_user297129 - PeerSpot reviewer
2nd Line Support at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We can provide access to the network for home users, but it would be nice if it was more user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

To check VPN connections where they pass\fail through 192 IP therefore I could remote on for other solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

We can now provide remote access to home users.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to be more user friendly instead of clicking\drilling down tabs.

I've used it for 17 months.

No issues encountered.

The product was already in place when I joined the company.

It was straightforward, as the network team assign us AD permission & they showed the help desk how to use it.

We did it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

It works well with SolarWinds & WireShark.

Download our free SSL VPN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Pulse Secure, Cisco, Citrix, and more!
Updated: June 2022