Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Pulse Connect Secure OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pulse Connect Secure is #1 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools and #7 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give Pulse Connect Secure an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Pulse Connect Secure is most commonly compared to OpenVPN Access Server: Pulse Connect Secure vs OpenVPN Access Server. Pulse Connect Secure is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Pulse Connect Secure?
The Pulse Connect Secure enables you to give employees, partners, and customers secure and controlled access to your corporate data and applications including file servers, Web servers, native messaging and e-mail clients, hosted servers, and more from outside your trusted network using just a Web browser.
Pulse Connect Secure Customers
Axcient, Baloise Group, Cygate, Catholic University of America, Datec Inc, Revlon, Santa Monica Networks, 7-Eleven
Pulse Connect Secure Video

Pulse Connect Secure Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pulse Connect Secure pricing:
  • "A license is required for you to use Pulse Connect Secure, but I'm not aware of how much it costs."
  • "The price of Pulse Connect Secure is expensive."
  • Pulse Connect Secure Reviews

Johan Derycke - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at Smals vzw
    Easy to set up with flexible management and good network resources
    • "The flexibility in their management is great."
    • "The stability could be better. There are sometimes bugs in the system."

What is our primary use case?

The product is used as a secure gateway - a gateway to give access to remote users by checking the user credentials and user authentication. It also checks the machine authentication and the machine security, by using host checking mechanisms. The product gives or allows access or authorizes access to certain resources based on the user credentials and the machine check.

What is most valuable?

They support a very extended or a list of resources, network resources, applications, whatever. They are very broad in supporting all kinds of resources.

The flexibility in their management is great. For us, there was no other product better than that.

The product is very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see them be a bit more swift in the changes in the protocols and the browsers. They are lagging a bit behind. Certainly, for the Pulse Desktop Client, they should really work on the modernization.

The stability could be better. There are sometimes bugs in the system.

I've used the solution for years already. The VPN solution has been taken out of the Juniper company and has been put into a new company, Pulse Secure, so we have been using this solution, the same solution, for years on.

SSL VPN
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Pulse Secure, Cisco, Citrix and others in SSL VPN. Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

For many years, it was known as a very stable platform. However, now, they have a bit of difficulty really having a stable and robust product overall, end-to-end.

The central infrastructure is still very stable and robust, however, have troubles with security vulnerabilities and bugs in its code. They have a bit of trouble on those issues, on those topics in general.

The scalability is great. You can have whatever number of appliances you need.

We are an ISP, meaning we have different customers, and different organizations, for this VPN service. We have a very diverse set of clients. We have somewhere around 10,000 end-users for this platform.

We were using a Cisco VPN solution in the years starting around 2002 or 2003. A Juniper solution was chosen back around 2007. It changed names and we have been using it ever since.

The implementation is rather easy. Installing out of the box, the application is easy to install and configure.

Deployment time depends on a few factors. For example, the primary installation, the primary configuration of the central infrastructure, only takes a couple of hours. Then, of course, to have all your different clients connected and connecting to the infrastructure, that's a project of months as you have to set up a whole project and communication strategy, and then you need a project manager to give clear guidance on this.

Pulse Secure and Juniper are very expensive in their license cost. That's a drawback of this solution. The hardware is rather cheap, however, licensing is very, very, very expensive.

You have different kinds of licenses you can be used, depending on what kind of functionality you will be using with this infrastructure. Of course, you need to have support on these licenses also, and this is rather expensive also. You need a vendor or a supporting firm capable of supporting the functionality and the licenses linked to them.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

Last year, this solution was bought by Ivanti. Now it's called Ivanti Connect Secure. Basically, it's been the same product since 2007. It's still the same product yet it has been evolving, of course.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd advise potential new users to do some homework on what network resources they want to present to their users, and what will be the conditions they will impose on their end-users as for users' credentials, for example, multi-factor authentication for start. Also, they should look at the host checking on their client PCs. For example, they need to consider what will be the conditions to access certain resources, as that will be important for their configuration at the outset.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Hari_M - PeerSpot reviewer
    Architect - Performance Engineering at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy and quick to set up and provides good security
    • "The best feature of Pulse Connect Secure is the good security it provides. It gives a secure connection to your network."
    • "At the moment, Pulse Connect Secure is a pretty good solution, and I don't see any issues with it. Currently, I'm not aware of a new or additional feature that's needed in Pulse Connect Secure, but it would be good if the team could look at how the speed of connection could be increased. Though it's quite seamless and I didn't face any problem with the speed, it would be better to improve the speed and keep going forward, especially as the industry's changing and people would love connections to be a lot faster."

What is our primary use case?

I use Pulse Connect Secure as a VPN to access the network. It's a mechanism I use to connect to the virtual network of my company.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of Pulse Connect Secure is the good security it provides. It gives a secure connection to your network.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, Pulse Connect Secure is a pretty good solution, and I don't see any issues with it.

I've been using Pulse Connect Secure for one year.

Pulse Connect Secure is a very stable solution, and I didn't notice any problems with its stability.

Pulse Connect Secure is pretty much scalable, and I didn't have any problem in this aspect.

I never needed to contact the customer support team of Pulse Connect Secure because I didn't have any problems with the solution.

The initial setup for Pulse Connect Secure was easy enough and didn't take much time. Setting up the solution was fast enough.

A license is required for you to use Pulse Connect Secure, but I'm not aware of how much it costs.

What other advice do I have?

About fifty people use Pulse Connect Secure within the company.

My company decided to use Pulse Connect Secure because it had all the required security features, it was easy to connect to it, and it's a standard solution in the market.

My advice for first-time users of Pulse Connect Secure is to try it out. What you should do is shortlist two to three good providers then implement it on a small subset of users for a short period, then evaluate the solution based on your use case, and then, depending on the outcome, you should implement Pulse Connect Secure on a larger user base.

You should always go and implement the solution on a smaller subset of users first, then do a proof of concept and verify how Pulse Connect Secure works and if it does work out, and then roll the solution out to a larger set of users. Your rollout of the solution should be scattered, so you can see if there's a real impact from using Pulse Connect Secure.

It's a solution I would recommend to others.

My rating for Pulse Connect Secure is nine out of ten.

I'm a customer of Pulse Connect Secure.

SSL VPN
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Infrastructure Project manager with 10,001+ employees
    Customer-friendly, flexible, and easy to deploy, but needs central management and better support and documentation
    • "It is customer-friendly. It is quite easy for our users to connect. There is also the flexibility of the features."
    • "We want to switch to another solution because there are some challenges with the support from Pulse. The quality of documentation is also not good. It is sometimes very hard to find documentation that provides a solution and describes how all this works."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as a remote access solution for our users and partners.

What is most valuable?

It is customer-friendly. It is quite easy for our users to connect. There is also the flexibility of the features.

What needs improvement?

We want to switch to another solution because there are some challenges with the support from Pulse. The quality of documentation is also not good. It is sometimes very hard to find documentation that provides a solution and describes how all this works.

I definitely miss a single pane of glass where we can have several clusters deployed across the globe. We should have the capability to manage all clusters centrally. Currently, we have to log in locally on each cluster to see what is going on there. A single pane of glass for monitoring and viewing the overall health of our solutions, services, and licenses is currently missing.

I have been working with Pulse for at least four years.

Recently, there were some issues, and we had to upgrade it quickly.

When it is on-prem, it is not so scalable. To scale the solution, you also need to deploy new machines and configure them from scratch. It is not as easy as a cloud solution where you scale automatically according to your needs. The problem for us is that it is on-prem.

We are not satisfied with their support. They usually cannot find the solution to our problems. If they manage to find a solution, it is not mature. It is mostly a workaround with some hidden scripts.

I did not participate too much in the installation, but it was quite straightforward to deploy and configure. There were no big challenges.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on the size of the organization. I would recommend it for small to medium size organizations but not for big global companies.

I would rate Pulse Connect Secure a six out of 10.

Kaushlendra Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager - IT Infrastructure and Network at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Beneficial multi-factor authentications, useful SSL VPNs, and simple initial setup
    • "The most valuable features of Pulse Connect Secure are multi-factor authentications, and VPNs and SSL VPNs we are using."
    • "Pulse Connect Secure could improve the reporting, it is lacking in detail and should take the report automatically."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Pulse Connect Secure for working remotely. We are using it remotely to access our architecture.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Pulse Connect Secure for two years.

Pulse Connect Secure is a stable solution.

If we need to scale Pulse Connect Secure we only need to add a license.

We are using the solution on a daily basis. We have approximately 500 users with 200 licenses.

Pulse Connect Secure is suitable for all types of organizations.

The support from Pulse Connect Secure is of an average level. It is not good or bad.

I rate the support from Pulse Connect Secure a four out of five.

We previously were using FortiGate VPN. The main difference between FortiGate VPN and Pulse Connect Secure is FortiGate VPN is lacking security features and the configuration is not as easy.

The initial setup of Pulse Connect Secure was simple.

I rate the setup difficulty of Pulse Connect Secure a four out of five.

We pay for licenses to use Pulse Connect Secure. If we want to add more users we need to purchase more licenses. We pay approximately 3000 Indian Rupees per user, which is approximately $38.

The price of Pulse Connect Secure is expensive.

I rate Pulse Connect Secure a four out of five.

The licensing should improve. The solution starts with 200 licenses and after 200 licenses kick in, if you want to scale or increase the licenses, you have to purchase new boxes and then it will be 2,500 user licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Pulse Connect Secure an eight out of ten.

Solution Architect - Hybrid IT at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    User-friendly, easy to set up, and stable
    • "What I like the most about Pulse Connect Secure is that it's user-friendly. It's easy to use. You just need to connect, and that's it."
    • "Connection-wise, Pulse Connect Secure could be faster, and this is its area for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Pulse Connect Secure to access company materials remotely, in a secure way. I have the solution on my laptop.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about Pulse Connect Secure is that it's user-friendly. It's easy to use. You just need to connect, and that's it.

What needs improvement?

Connection-wise, Pulse Connect Secure could be faster, and this is its area for improvement.

I've been using Pulse Connect Secure for four years.

Pulse Connect Secure is a stable solution.

As I only use Pulse Connect Secure on my laptop, I'm unsure of how scalable it is, but if all employees within my organization use it, then it should be scalable.

I never spoke to the technical support team of Pulse Connect Secure. I only speak to my company's IT Team.

Pulse Connect Secure is a solution that's easy to set up.

About the pricing for Pulse Connect Secure, I have no information on that because I don't pay for it as an employee, but there should be an agreement at the company level.

What other advice do I have?

From what I know, I'm using the latest version of Pulse Connect Secure because the IT department keeps on updating the software automatically.

More than fifty thousand employees use Pulse Connect Secure in my organization.

What I would tell others looking into using the solution is that it's easy to install and use, so why not use Pulse Connect Secure?

My rating for Pulse Connect Secure is eight out of ten.

I'm a user of Pulse Connect Secure, not a partner.

Oktay Ozkan - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Security Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    User-friendly, secure, and convenient
    • "It's a very convenient and user-friendly application."
    • "I don't have any downsides to report about the product at this time."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for establishing secure connections for our employees. Our employees are mostly working from home. For example, I'm using Pulse Secure software for establishing a secure connection to our environment and I work from out of the office.

What is most valuable?

It's user-friend and it supported our scenarios. For example, integration with our other products, including ID attesting or other technologies. We are integrating our password installations. It's a very convenient and user-friendly application. It's also secure.

It's easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any downsides to report about the product at this time.

I've used the solution for three and a half years.

The solution is stable and works at high availability. The performance is great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

10,000 employees are using this Pulse Secure, however, our licenses support about 30,000 concurrent connections.

I've spoken with technical support and have found them to be very helpful.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The deployment itself takes about two weeks.

I can't speak to the exact licensing of the product.

We did not evaluate any other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-user.

I don't have specific advice for that product, however, potential new users should know that it's secure.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Head of Digital marketing, Customer acquisition & Partnerships at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    User-friendly, quick support, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

I am using Pulse Connect Secure as a VPN. We are connecting to a private network, such as connecting to the Amazon AWS accounts for restrictive reasons. The main reason is for security purposes.

What needs improvement?

The most valuable features of Pulse Connect Secure are the user-friendly connection and interconnecting.

I have been using Pulse Connect Secure for approximately one year.

Pulse Connect Secure is a stable solution.

I have found Pulse Connect Secure to be scalable.

We have four people in my organization using this solution. We do not have plans to increase usage at this time.

The support from Pulse Connect Secure is great. When we face connectivity issues they responded in a prompt manner. They have been able to resolve all of our issues. If we have a critical issue, they can resolve it within four to five hours.

Pulse Connect Secure could improve the speed at which it connects. It is slow at the moment.

The initial setup of Pulse Connect Secure was easy. The full deployment took approximately four hours.

What other advice do I have?

When we connect to the people, through Teams or Zooms this channel will have voice controls and it is on and off sometimes, but there's no lag between the screen share, that is fine. However, there is some lag, with voice communication.

I rate Pulse Connect Secure an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Download our free SSL VPN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Pulse Secure, Cisco, Citrix, and more!
    Updated: September 2022