IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle SuperCluster OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle SuperCluster is #6 ranked solution in top Converged Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle SuperCluster an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle SuperCluster is most commonly compared to Oracle Private Cloud Appliance: Oracle SuperCluster vs Oracle Private Cloud Appliance. Oracle SuperCluster is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 39% of all views.

Download the Converged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle SuperCluster?

Secure cloud infrastructure with the industry’s most advanced security, extreme performance, and a complete suite of efficiency enhancements, tools, and automation that work together to dramatically lower cost and complexity.

Oracle SuperCluster was previously known as Oracle MiniCluster, S7-2, M7, M6-32.

Oracle SuperCluster Customers

Advania, Dimension Data, Atos, Etisilat Nigeria, HDFC, Specialized Bicycle Components, Uganda Revenue Authority, iQor, United Energy, Portic Barcelona, B Logistics, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, CSC, CNSI, REDISA

Oracle SuperCluster Video

Archived Oracle SuperCluster Reviews (more than two years old)

Service Support Specialist at PRASA
Widely used internal integrated system; very good scalability

What is our primary use case?

Our HR system uses this solution as do many of our staff. We currently have over 3,000 users within the company and the company has a total of 15,000 employees. We have a vendor that carries out the majority of our maintenance and one or two internal people also involved in maintenance. The solution is used on a daily basis in the company. We're customers of Oracle and I'm a service support specialist.

What is most valuable?

The scalability and the technical support that you get from Oracle are very valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not very user friendly and that could be improved.

I've been using this solution for five years.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Dell Technologies and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: June 2022.
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In terms of stability, the hardware of the solution is stable but on the software level we've had some problems. They deal with any issues very quickly.

The initial setup was quite complex and we used a system integrator to implement. I believe deployment took about three months. We've been using the solution for about five years and we're now planning a hardware update.

We pay an annual licensing fee but that's not my department.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to realize that this is a big system for enterprise companies and not suitable for small business. I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Systems Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Can be fast but we're not getting reliability or stability
  • "Our primary use case is for E-Business Suite applications the applications for the government, and most of the applications that use an HCM."
  • "It's not working as we expected. We thought it would be fast and reliable but we are not getting the reliability. It's not stable."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for E-Business Suite applications, the applications for the government, and most of the applications that use an HCM.

What is most valuable?

I wouldn't say there is anything good about it because since it was deployed we have been having issues with the cluster.

It's not working as we expected. We thought it would be fast and reliable but we are not getting the reliability. It's not stable. It could be an issue with the network or configuration.

I have been using SuperCluster for just over a year.

It's partially scalable. We have less than 20 users using this solution.

Their support is 50/50. Neither good nor bad.

We previously used IBM. We decided to switch because of our implementers.

The setup was complex.

We've also changed the network to Cisco. Maybe it's a problem with the compatibility.

It took around six months to set up.

We used a consultant for the deployment. All of the maintenance is done by Oracle.

It is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to do your homework before switching to this solution. Look at what the solution offers, look at the licensing because we might think that doing the Oracle SuperCluster would actually reduce the licensing. It is not like that.

The staff should also know what kind of issues to expect so as to be able to actually work with them to be able to work with the SuperCluster. The staff should be trained to identify issues.

I would rate SuperCluster a six out of ten.

June 2022
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oracle Supercluster Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great performance and Technical support but cannot integrate with the newest version
  • "The performance is significantly improved, and the administration is easy because it is a single platform end-to-end."
  • "If they had an application that centralized the administration, not about the monitoring, but for the configuration, it would be better."

How has it helped my organization?

Regarding the performance between our old system and the new system, previously we were running the system with IBM, the quarterbacking was running in IBM, then we moved to the Oracle SuperCluster.

The quarterbacking is from Oracle, the hardware and the database is also running on Oracle.

We have seen that there is an improvement in performance. For example, end of the year in IBM, we were running almost twelve and a half hours, but when we moved to Oracle SuperCluster, after the first year it was running for only four hours. It went from twelve and a half hours to four hours.

What is most valuable?

The features of Oracle SuperCluster are more common based. If you want to make any additional configuration or changes to the virtualization layer, it is commonly based.

What needs improvement?

We are not able to upgrade our SuperClass to the latest version, because this solution is more compatible with Oracle. We are not able to run any .NET-based applications and they cannot install Windows.

The Oracle SuperCluster is specific to Oracle products. They can set up a convergence infrastructure so that you can run both applications, such as Java, non-Java, .NET, and Windows.

The features are limited and we are not able to upgrade this solution. We are not able to integrate our current version with the new, upgraded version.

If they had an application that centralized the administration, not about the monitoring, but for the configuration, it would be better.

We have heard that after the M8 was introduced a couple of years ago, there will be no production.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable and performs well.

We can expand to our requirements because the storage can be expanded and also the computer with us can be expanded. It depends upon the free space available on the rack.

We can expand the rack to superclass a rack and populate what the requirements are regarding the compute, the storage, and we can connect between the two racks using the InfiniBand switches.

The technical support is the best with any hardware issues.

Previously we used X-Beta. Oracle created a specific product database and not the applications. As Oracle SuperCluster, we can run applications and databases in a single infrastructure.

The deployment model was on-premises.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Ifeoluwa Oluwole - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Server & Storage/Backup Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
The Exadata Storage appliance, optimized for database queries, is key for us

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a converged infrastructure for the core database.

How has it helped my organization?

It has encouraged a simple and systematic capacity upgrade.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is the Exadata Storage appliance, optimized for database queries.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see control domain and zone management via a management console, similar to that of OVM.

Three to five years.
Ian Baugaard - PeerSpot reviewer
3D Database Solutions Lead at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Zones rebooted randomly due to Clusterware bugs, and ZFS issues reduced performance
    • "There are many areas for improvement. For example, better guidance in terms of troubleshooting issues relating to ZFS, as well as better tools/diagnostics for monitoring that specific component, to better identify potential issues. Hardware monitoring via OEM 13.2 is not 100 percent, as Ops Center is still required in some instances."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case was a combination of a hardware refresh/consolidation of aging Sun M5000 equipment onto a half rack T5-8 SuperCluster. One of the core business drivers was the reduction of operational costs, while improving performance and (perceived) stability of the platforms.

What is most valuable?

The promise of consolidation is still a strong selling point, especially if the prospective client has applications that run on SPARC and has its data store in an Oracle Database.

What needs improvement?

There was an issue with zones rebooting due to a CRS bug (Version 12.1.0.2 at the time) which took Oracle support quite a few weeks to eventually identify.

While the general consensus was to maintain about 10 percent free space on ZFS file systems, it became clear that 30 percent free was actually required in order to maintain acceptable performance. Having to keep that headroom available impacted scalability to some extent.

As with Oracle Support in general, it depends on the engineer picking up the call. Some issues were resolved quickly and with detailed information, while others often dragged and went around in circles.

Previous solution was M5000-based and the switch was from a consolidation/hardware refresh point of view.

Initial setup had to be redone as there was some miscommunication and/or misunderstanding of requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, I have not had the best experience with Oracle’s SuperCluster. Zones were rebooting at random due to Clusterware bugs, there were various ZFS issues resulting in performance decreases and node evictions and, I’m sad to say, we did not receive the strongest vendor support in resolving the issues.

Do due diligence on sizing and whether or not the solution is, in fact, fit for purpose.

Technical Team Lead - UNIX - Data Centre Operations. at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Highly integrated system but has limitations connecting with other vendors' products
    • "Because it's classified as an engineered system, it's all integrated, it's all supported by one vendor. We don't have to go to multiple vendors for support, it's all integrated under Oracle."
    • "If it had capabilities to integrate really well with DB2 or SQL Server or Hitachi SANs, those sort of things, that would be a real benefit. Right now, it's fully supported only under all Oracle infrastructure."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, it's just being built. It's for our financials system, so it'll be running Oracle Financials.

How has it helped my organization?

Because it's classified as an engineered system, it's all integrated, it's all supported by one vendor. We don't have to go to multiple vendors for support, it's all integrated under Oracle. So it's one place to call, one place to support it, which of course, has advantages in terms of not having to engage multiple vendors.

What is most valuable?

I think it's a highly integrated, powerful system that will support thousands of users, so that's why it was selected.

What needs improvement?

One of the limitations we see is its integration with other things, like other brands of storage or networks, or other brands of databases. So if it had capabilities to integrate really well with DB2 or SQL Server or Hitachi SANs, those sort of things, that would be a real benefit. Right now, it's fully supported only under all Oracle infrastructure.

Still implementing.

It's not yet in production,so we're hoping it will be very stable. We have some Oracle Exadata which is very stable, so we're assuming it will be a stable solution.

Within the same infrastructure it's scalable but, as I said, its integration with other systems in our datacenter is where there's more of a challenge.

I haven't personally used tech support but I know there has been a lot of technical support sessions with Oracle on the build-out. I believe that's gone really well.

The old system was getting old. We were on Solaris 10, not even Solaris 11, so it was just a matter of needing a replacement of the infrastructure.

When selecting a vendor, important criteria include their having a significant marketplace share. You don't want some minor player. You want somebody who can provide really good technical support 24/7, has excellent response time, and the ability to provide replacement hardware quickly, with four-hour response times. So you're usually limited to the big spenders, like Oracle and IBM and HPE. Those are the main considerations: the support, technical expertise, and the ability to actually deliver on what they're selling.

I am not involved in the setup, but I think it's fairly specialized infrastructure because it's highly integrated, so it does require Oracle engineer expertise to do the build-out. It's not something you can put together yourself. It requires the vendor to be deeply involved in the setup and configuration and the install.

I'm not entirely sure who was on the short list. I think one of the critical requirements was that they be certified to support Oracle Databases, so that reduced the list a bit. And, obviously, Oracle being the makers of their own database system, was the prime candidate for that, in terms of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it as a seven out of 10. The reason it doesn't get a higher mark is because of the challenges in integrating it with other infrastructure in our datacenter. If it's not Oracle, it's more of a challenge to integrate with it. That is unfortunate because we have a heterogeneous infrastructure environment where we have many brands and models of infrastructure. Ideally, we would want to utilize everything and not have the solution be isolated and not able to talk to anything else. So interoperability is a really big benefit for us. And the SuperCluster has some limitations in that regard.

In terms of advice to a colleague, again, the important aspect is the interoperability with other brands of hardware, like for storage and for network and for databases and so on. If you have a need to connect to a lot of stuff, you should perhaps look at other systems as well, not just Oracle SuperCluster, because it's very Oracle focused.

Syed Jaffar Hussain - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Leaderboard
    Review about Oracle SuperCluster

What is most valuable?

• Software in Silicon

How has it helped my organization?

One of the clients has many applications with many Oracle standalone databases running on multiple traditional storage/server technologies. Those databases were integrated to fetch business data. Hence, there was database slowness; also, wasting storage and resources on some servers. The customer wanted to consolidate all his applications and databases into a single platform, i.e, Oracle SuperCluster. Upon migrating to OSC M7, the customer achieved significant performance, reduced cost for licensing and used the Exadata and SuperCluster features.

What needs improvement?

• Stability
    • Optimization
    • Sustainable overall performance
    • Storage savings
    • Additional M7 (Software in Silicon features)

I have used it for one year.

We encountered deployment issues with some initial configuration settings due to IP conflicts, lack of power capacity and required additional switches.

After migrating Oracle ERP and database, there was an issue with the printer drivers, and issues running some Arabic reports. After upgrading the firmware version for printers, and adding a workaround to avoid Arabic login and reports, all went smooth.

We faced issues with ZFS failover, due to misconfiguration. After correcting the settings, ZFS failover worked like expected.

I am fully satisfied with customer service; can relax for the next five years without any major upgrade to the environment.

There were three vendors involved. Overall, technical support was satisfactory.

The client was on traditional storage/server technologies; they switched because they wanted to have a complete Oracle consolidated solution.

Many teams' involvement was required for initial setup. It is a bit complex until the initial configuration and basic installation of the OSC M7 is done.

A vendor team implemented it; it was satisfactory.

There has been a significant reduction in the cost of licenses for software/hardware.

Oracle SuperCluster M7 is bit expensive. However, it comes with many sizes, so, a customer can choose the right size required for the business.

What other advice do I have?

• Initial planning, such as network IP assignment (range), mandatory power/cooling/switch availability for a smooth installation
    it_user522210 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Engineered Systems Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Use and implementation is easy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ease of use and implementation.

How has it helped my organization?

The amount of consolidation you can do to a single platform is a benefit to my organization.

What needs improvement?

Out of the box, configuration could be made simpler. The new MiniCluster has the virtual assistant that configures the platform, whereas the SuperCluster does not.

I have not had any stability issues at all.

The problem with the scalability at this point is that, while it is field upgradable, in order to do a field upgrade at this point in time, the entire SuperCluster has to be rebuilt. They're working on a solution to have field upgrades available so that it doesn't require being rebuilt. However, at this point in time, that's the only option. Previously, that wasn't even an option. Once you bought the SuperCluster, it was stuck in the configuration that you bought it at for its entirety of its lifetime.

They have improved it, but they still have some work to do.

With technical support, when we open a ticket, it gets resolved in a timely fashion, and I am happy with the resolution, absolutely. One of the benefits of being with the SuperCluster is that it's all Oracle. The hardware’s Oracle, the OS is Oracle, the database software is Oracle, the application software is Oracle. Everything is all Oracle. You only have one throat to choke whenever it comes to support. They provide a one-call resolution process, where you open a service ticket and they will get together any of the back-office disciplines that they need to in the support groups.

Installation and deployment has some complexities. You have to know all of your networking requirements ahead of time. You have to know all of your host names. You have to know how the domains are going to be set up ahead of time. Then, you have to work that configuration worksheet with Oracle ACS services to have their engineers actually configure the install. Then, an ACS engineer has to come on-site and perform the install.

If you follow these steps, it's pretty straightforward. They've got the process down so that they lead you through step by step. It's still a process that would be easier to configure if most of the configuration could be done on the customer side without the intervention of ACS resources.

We were looking at the Exadata system, but the customer decided that they really needed to be able to put their applications with their database. Whenever you're dealing with a solution that isn't totally database-centric, then you need to look at something that can handle database as well as applications. The SuperCluster is the logical option because it does both.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest hurdle is getting all of the power and networking requirements in place in front of the purchase. Once you purchase, expect at least 12 weeks to have everything in place before you can actually begin implementing the SuperCluster. The SuperCluster will arrive, but all of the other infrastructure components will have to be placed before that can happen.

Download our free Converged Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Dell Technologies, and more!
    Updated: June 2022