We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle NoSQL OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle NoSQL is #6 ranked solution in top NoSQL Databases. PeerSpot users give Oracle NoSQL an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle NoSQL is most commonly compared to MongoDB: Oracle NoSQL vs MongoDB. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Oracle NoSQL?

The Oracle NoSQL Database (ONDB) provides network-accessible multiterabyte distributed key/value pair storage with predictable latency. Data is stored in a very flexible key-value format, where the key consists of the combination of a major and minor key (represented as a string) and an associated value (represented as a JSON data format or opaque set of bytes). It offers full Create, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) operations, with adjustable durability and consistency guarantees. It also provides powerful and flexible transactional model that eases the application development.

The Oracle NoSQL Database is designed to be a highly available and extremely scalable system, with predictable levels of throughput and latency, while requiring minimal administrative interaction.

For more information on Oracle NoSQL Database, visit Oracle.com

Download the NoSQL Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle NoSQL Customers
Airbus, Globacom, WebAction
Oracle NoSQL Video

Archived Oracle NoSQL Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user426063
Chief Technology Officer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's given us a simplified programming and integration process for a highly scalable and highly available KV store.

Valuable Features

1. Highly distributed nature of the product (ability to scale on the cheap because it shares nothing hardware).
  2. High Availability with automatic load balancing.
  3. Table API in Java to massively simplify programming.
  4. Original schema evolution feature is very powerful as well in the agile development space vs. “traditional” RDBMS-based alternatives.
  5. Tune-able consistency and durability.

Improvements to My Organization

It's given us a simplified programming and integration process for a highly scalable and highly available KV store, eliminating a significant amount of prior configuration and coding that was seen as necessary.

In addition, the administrative overhead on the solution is minimal.

Room for Improvement

Personally, I’d like to see some improvements in the monitoring UI for it. It doesn't require anything major, just some improvements in the feel and depth of information provided.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for five years, since the first iteration.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

In our experience, the customer service is excellent.

The Service Request resolution time is very fast. Also, the involvement and support from the Oracle development team was excellent.

It's incredibly simple to set up and configure and it's designed for the distribution and scale-out that we needed out-of-the-box.

There's no major installer to run through, just a .zip file to drop and install from.

It's very, very easy and has a small footprint.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

ROI

ROI was based initially on the development time vs. other products and deployment time. Our investment was only really the learning curve of the new product vs. carrying on with the solution we were looking at.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We use the Community Edition so pricing/licensing isn’t so much of an issue (we have evaluated the move to the Commercial Edition for some of the RDBMS integrations, etc).

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated and were planning for the deployment of the Sleepycat/Berkeley DB database which came out of the realization that MySQL wasn’t really the right solution for what we were looking for with the lack of true distribution and “hands-off” administration profile.

Other Advice

Try it! You’ll be impressed. I think that the vendor badge that is Oracle often puts people in the NoSQL space off (especially those coming from an OpenSource background), but the Community Edition is genuinely excellent.

it_user426045
IT System Consultant & Software Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the most valuable features is the easy integration with OEP for event streaming.

What is most valuable?

• Velocity
  • Full Java control
  • Big Data
  • Scalability
  • Easy integration with OEP for event streaming

How has it helped my organization?

With Oracle NoSQL, our clients have a highly scalable, simple to set up database that performs very well when data is organized correctly from the beginning.

What needs improvement?

I would like to use SQL Developer (or another tool) to access NoSQL in read/write mode, not only in read-only mode.

I would also like the CLI to be easier to use.

Authentication is not easy to perform.

We've been using it for a few months.

The authentication is not so easy to set up. It would be nice to have a tool perform visual mode authentication (roles, permissions, etc.) and to integrate with LDAP.

You will get high performance when you organize your data correctly at the beginning. Otherwise, there are instability issues.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs. Scaling it is one of the most valuable features.

Customer service is good.

In our experience with technical support, they're good.

I didn't use another solution.

For a developer, the initial setup was straightforward, but in our production environment it was a bit complex with database shards, authentications, etc.

We implement the solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

Really, I like this product. I advise you to be open minded, and to plan the setup, how to organize data, relationships, keys, etc.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, MongoDB, Apache and others in NoSQL Databases. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user430587
Leading Specialist in Big Data at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The features I've found to be most valuable are the speed of reading and writing, the transactions model, and just the overall simplicity of using it. It could use a better GUI.

What is most valuable?

The features I've found to be most valuable are the speed of reading and writing (read/write performance levels are really high), the transactions model (semantics for data manipulation), and just the overall simplicity of using it.

What needs improvement?

There are a few areas for improvement that I can see, such as security improvements, better monitoring capabilities, and stability of each node. It also could use a better GUI.

I've been using it for demo purposes for one to two months.

We had no deployment issues.

We've had some issues with stability. During our testing, we were able to drop an entire database by writing huge amounts of data. This is unacceptable -- there could be errors and refusals, but never a complete fall.

There were no problems scaling it for our needs.

Technical support is good. We didn’t have problems with them in our experience.

We chose it because of our relationship with Oracle.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. We've had no problems here.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

The product is quite nice. It's very simple and was well integrated with the Hadoop MapReduce framewok. It lacks some stability and a good monitoring GUI, so be careful.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Oracle Platinum Partners.
Product Categories
NoSQL Databases
Download our free NoSQL Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, MongoDB, Apache, and more!
Quick Links