Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Oracle GoldenGate OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle GoldenGate is #12 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle GoldenGate an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Oracle GoldenGate is most commonly compared to AWS Database Migration Service: Oracle GoldenGate vs AWS Database Migration Service. Oracle GoldenGate is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Oracle GoldenGate Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle GoldenGate Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Oracle GoldenGate?

Oracle GoldenGate is a real-time data integration and database replication solution. It can detect data events and route them across networks at very low latencies and integrates well with 100s of combinations of non-Oracle databases, data stores, and clouds.

Oracle GoldenGate Features

Oracle GoldenGate has many valuable key features, including:

• Simple to use web interface
  • Fast and easy installation or provisioning
  • Command line access via AdminClient that can run anywhere
  • RESTful APIs for DevOps
  • Offers built-in monitoring but also can be easily adapted to roll your own monitoring
  • APIs are protected by Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) authentication.

Oracle GoldenGate Benefits

Some of the benefits of using Oracle GoldenGate include:

• Oracle GoldenGate is deeply integrated with the Oracle Database (logging, redo, backup and recovery layer, security, administration, data guard, data vault, autonomous database etc.).

• It is the most stable, performant, and reliable CDC / replication solution for Oracle.

• High performance: Oracle GoldenGate is capable of sub-second latency for data movement. featuring low impact capture, routing, transformation, and delivery of transactional data.

• GoldenGate is the only CDC / replication tool that keeps pace with new and emerging innovations (security, features, data types, etc) in the core Oracle Database.

• The solution supports a wide range of use cases, from conventional OLTP data replication and high availability to data lake ingestion or multi-cloud ingestion, SaaS application replication, and messaging replication.
  • GoldenGate is the only CDC / replication technology certified for Exadata, Exadata Cloud Service, and Exadata Cloud at Customer.

• For fault-tolerance, GoldenGate has its own mechanism to keep track of how much work is completed and how much is pending. This mechanism is independent of any database and ensures, with the help of automatic gap-resolution, that no data loss occurs.

• GoldenGate uses its own proprietary format files for keeping the committed data coming from the source database, making it independently functional irrespective of the database in use.

• To maintain the performance and consistency, only committed data is sent. Uncommitted data is captured by GoldenGate, but is discarded after receiving a Rollback.

• With GoldenGate, data sending is in “near real time,” which reduces the possibility of latency.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by Oracle GoldenGate users.

PeerSpot user Steve-J., Cloud Migration Software Consultant - UK & EMEA at 1PLACE, says, "What I have found the most valuable about GoldenGate is that it does real-time and no-downtime migrations. Its migrations are fast. There are not many tools like it on the marketplace."

Pinak S., Senior Manager of System and Database at ESL, mentions, “We like how in GoldenGate the heterogeneous database is supported. Sometimes the client actually needs a schedule and needs to ensure the state of databases for reporting purposes. With that in mind, we have been able to configure GoldenGate for certain schema. The solution is quite stable. They've recently improved the ease of implementation.”

A Database Administrator at a manufacturing company explains, "It moves the data as you set it up, and it works. I am also very impressed with its stability and scalability. It is not super feature-rich, but the new releases have more functionality. It recently had more native integrations with Oracle Database. If you are using it against an Oracle database, it has a lot more functionality."

An Oracle ERP DBA Consultant - Oracle Super Cluster T5-8 Admin at a government comments, "GoldenGate can connect and collect data from multiple sources, such as SQL Server."

Oracle GoldenGate was previously known as GoldenGate.

Oracle GoldenGate Customers

Japan Exchange Group, Daewoo E&C, Herbalife, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Canon, Turk Telekom

Oracle GoldenGate Video

Archived Oracle GoldenGate Reviews (more than two years old)

Pinak Sarkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager of System and Database at ESL
Reseller
Quite stable and scalable with an easy implementation process
  • "They've recently improved the ease of implementation."
  • "The solution is quite costly, and if they could reduce their pricing, it would be more economical to implement."

What is our primary use case?

The solution in our organization is not used for execution. We use it for a few schedules and to replicate in different databases.

What is most valuable?

We like how in GoldenGate the heterogeneous database is supported. Sometimes the client actually needs a schedule and needs to ensure the state of databases for reporting purposes. With that in mind, we have been able to configure GoldenGate for certain schema.

The solution is quite stable.

They've recently improved the ease of implementation.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the solution is working quite well for us as it is.

I've been using the solution for the past three to five years.

Oracle GoldenGate
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle GoldenGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very reliable. I don't recall experiencing bugs or glitches, or crashes, for that matter. I'd describe it as very stable.

The solution is extremely scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so without any issues.

We're a service provider and we implement products to companies of various sizes.

As a vendor company, we're eligible to give support to our clients if they need it. As for contacting their technical support services, I don't recall if we really needed to, so I can't speak to their quality of service.

I've only ever worked with this solution. I haven't tried any similar solutions in the past.

In previous versions, the solution wasn't so easy to implement. In the latest version of the solution, they've made it really straightforward. It's much less complex than it was previously.

How long deployment takes depends on your formation and your design. If you want to do two more samples just for feature comparing, then it will take maybe three to four hours, if that. However, if you want to do some complex configurations, while it depends on the customer, it will take longer. How much of a database they want to initiate with GoldenGate will factor in on the length of time it will take. If the size is bigger by one million or even 200,000, then it will take much longer.

We're a vendor company; we help our customers with the implementation.

The cost of the solution is a bit high. It's higher than a lot of competitors.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. We help our clients implement the solution.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using or if it's the most current.

GoldenGate, right now, is a really fantastic solution. The price is high, but it's worth the cost, in my opinion.

It works with heterogeneous environments like Oracle, or IBM digital. We host it in servers and we host it in databases. A lot of the times we also host it in MySQL or on the MySQL database.

The solution uses a very low latency bandwidth because GoldenGate actually transfers the data. It will not take up a lot of resources like CPU or memory.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Claudio Freire - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Enterprise Architect at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good technical support and very stable, but memory is an issue
  • "The CDC feature is interesting."
  • "We struggle with memory. It's limited. However, it may be because of our unique business case and how we use it that it's limiting for us."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product internally to cover one of our data synchronization needs. The use case is likely to be unique in the world.

The solution involves 3000 pharmacies distributed geographically on several islands and continents. Each pharmacy has an ERP for managing pharmacy operations (sales, purchases, logistics, etc.). And we are synchronizing all the data and transactions that are generated in the ERP, with a central database (Exadata).

How has it helped my organization?

Our use case is complex and with Oracle GoldenGate we are improving the efficiency of the data replication and mostly the maintenance and operations support. We are in the process of migrating the current solution (based on queuing and web services) to Oracle Goldengate. Our current data synchronization process is old and not efficient enough to deal with 3000 data sources.

With Oracle Goldengate, we have more control over the CDC phase, and we can improve our management process which is critical for us.

What is most valuable?

The OGG CDC is flexible and robust but complex to manage. The OGG version with microservices is very important to us because we need to monitor and manage all the database sources. The current OGG monitor is limited to our operations and we built one for our needs using the OGG microservices.

What needs improvement?

While we like the CDC feature, it has some limitations in terms of what we can do and how to configure what we need to do. We are trying to fix those issues by implementing some workarounds.

Memory consumption is also an issue in OGG architecture. Each OGG data replicator consumes more and less 200 MB of RAM. We have 10 OGG hubs, each one with almost 300 data replicators to the central database. We need 64 GB for each Hub. a total of 640 GB just for data replication.

We've been working with the product for five years.

The solution, especially the last version, is very stable. Even with 3000 data sources, and a complex framework we're finding the solution to be very reliable.

The solution is very scalable when adopting a three-tier solution with hubs in the middle. Each OGG hub handles 300 interconnections. We have 10 hubs and, if we need to increase or expand, we put more servers in the system. It is very simple and expensive too.

In Portugal, we have a direct connection with Oracle (Portugal) due to the fact that our use case is so unique. We are also in direct contact with the Oracle Goldengate project manager through Oracle Portugal.

Everyone has been very good so far. Although the team in Portugal does not have the knowledge base necessary for our purposes, teams in India or the USA generally provide the required assistance.

At the scale where we are now, we have worked with Attunity. It is a similar CDC software data extraction. It's more straightforward and simple to configure, however, when you scale with the 3000 data sources, the system starts being unmanageable. And the total cost of ownership is higher than OGG.

OGG technology is not simple. The first setup took almost six months because we had a hard time finding OGG specialists on the market.

There are three support teams in the project. We have a support team for infrastructure management, a team of DBAs to manage the Exadata, and an operations team to manage the 3000 databases (sources). And we also have Oracle's support for bugs and problems that we encounter along the way.

We had external help from Oracle. And we hired specialists from Brazil who came to Portugal to help us.

In terms of price, as a client, I want always the cheaper price. But, in this case, we have a good deal with Oracle in terms of GoldenGate licenses. It's a lot of money but the business case is working for us. We need the information, and fast access to it, so we require an effective system. We already have one solution in place working, but it's a legacy system bases on web services and the operations costs are very expensice. We need to migrate asap to this new solution.

Yes, the current system we are using is based on Internet protocols. We are using web services and data streaming. But when you need to manage and operate 3000 data sources, every time you need to make a change it's a nightmare. The operations costs and time consumption in software development and depoly is too high to maintain.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently in the middle of a huge project using Oracle GoldenGate. We have a unique business case in the world - synchronizing 3000 OLTP databases to an Exadata. Normally Oracle GoldenGate use cases are for 10 or 50 maximum data sources.

We are using OGG version 19 in the OGG Hubs (Replicators). In the source, we are using OGG version 13 microservices (Extractors).

We have a hybrid OGG architecture: the data source is on-premise and the hubs and the Exadata are in the OCI (Oracle Cloud Infrastructure). We have on-premise extractors and replicators in the cloud. the connection is made through FastConnect.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. There are several features that have some real limitations for us. The product itself is not simple to manage and we take almost 6 months to learn the basics. There's also harsh memory consumption. Each connection is consuming almost 200 megabytes of memory, and, with the 3000 databases, that's a lot of resources to manage.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Oracle GoldenGate
September 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Amit Mataghare - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager at PricewaterhouseCoopers
Good data replication capability and technical support

What is our primary use case?

I am part of a consulting firm and we build database solutions for our customers. Oracle GoldenGate is one of the products that we assist our clients with.

It is primarily used to replicate data from the main database to a backup server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data replication capability.

What needs improvement?

It should be easier to integrate this solution with non-Oracle databases, including cloud-based solutions hosted on Azure.

One of our clients began using Oracle GoldenGate in 2013 and a second client started with it in 2018.

Oracle GoldenGate is pretty much stable.

I haven't encountered any issues in terms of scalability.  We are working with solutions where there is not much in terms of scope.

Technical support from Oracle is good. We were able to get help and good advice from them.

The initial setup was complex. It took a lot of time to get it stabilized.

The price of this solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle GoldenGate is a product that I would recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Amro Mourad - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Oracle Database Admin at mrcc
Powerful solution that centralizes our data and has a user-friendly interface
  • "This is a powerful solution provided by one of the most respected companies in the computer industry."
  • "Technical support for Oracle products needs to be more efficient (at least locally in Egypt)."

What is our primary use case?

The areas we use for this product for is centralizing the collection of hospital data. In Saudi Arabia there are five special hospitals and each branch there is a local facility for data entry. Users enter data in the local database in their branches and the data is collected in a centralized database that is also in Saudi Arabia. These tools use criteria to identify cases that are similar in different hospital branches to help in diagnosis and treatment.

I am working on this project to serve as the administrator for the database. Before this, I joined a lot of projects, sometimes part-time, in Cairo and I gained 18 years of experience working on databases in the maritime ports in Arab countries and in hospitals in Arab countries, in Cairo, in Egypt, in Iraq, in parts of Spain and around the Arabian Sea. My primary responsibility is to make centralized data available.

What is most valuable?

I signed with Oracle to use GoldenGate for this project five months ago. I needed two or three months just to explore GoldenGate to get to know it and the features. There are many awesome features in GoldenGate and from what I see in the case studies, I need some more months of discovery to know what I think are the most valuable features. If you call me a month from now, I will be able to answer the question as to which of the excellent features are the most valuable. Right now it would be that I have confidence that GoldenGate can handle this extensive project.

What needs improvement?

I use an on-premises installation of GoldenGate — a standard GoldenGate installation — to do our test deployment for our projects. Part of the Oracle solution that needs some improvement is the ability to test features extensively before purchase and deployment. I am from Egypt and the economy is not so good. To create proper test environments for complex enterprise deployments is very expensive. Right now there is no place in Egypt that has enough servers to provide a proper test environment for a large deployment like the one we have planned. I do my best to do the test here with what I have.

It is a poor model to test all the GoldenGate features in an improper environment because a valid test of the features of GoldenGate may require a huge investment in accessories like memory and processors. I still need to do the testing. I need to write the code to test out the deployment without a proper environment and without using some features that may be valuable in achieving our goals. I am going to join a project to perform testing with Oracle Exadata in hopes to have free equipment to test this with. In this way, I hope to have a good enough environment to test the product. The project will be huge will be much larger in the future.

It could be that I will find I need to test out the cloud as a potential solution. I think I need one month or two months to decide what is the solution. But assistance from Oracle in temporary testing facilities would be useful and create the opportunity for investment.

We have been using the product for about five months.

I have a lot of experience with Oracle technical support. The technical support in Egypt is not responsive. When I have encountered issues they waste time in gathering unnecessary information. They send me a program, to export some files so they can look into the problem. This is a big waste of time and an unnecessary delay.

One or two days they are saying they are working on this case. While they are doing this I do my best to solve the problem on my own and search the Oracle Mechanic and Google. I raise the severity to the top, and nothing happens faster. The user suffers the consequence of inefficient support. I spent money on support and on my own I find out this issue is already a known issue and I apply the solution myself before they get back to me. They have the price I paid for support, and I provide my own solutions.

I think that the installation of this product is very straightforward. I am sure I will encounter some problems and other issues because I installed a sample configuration of GoldenGate. This is a sample project where I have installed a huge database. It gives me the opportunity to encounter some problems and issues. I hope that I do not see any problems, but I am pretty sure I will experience some things that will go wrong.

The installation of Oracle's GoldenGate is fairly different from other similar applications. It is straightforward but at the same time more difficult. I think that is partly because other solutions will have about one-quarter of the features when compared to GoldenGate.

I have completed the installations myself.

The pricing is done on a yearly basis. They have additional packages for technical support.

I have had the opportunity to use many products working for 18 years with databases. The list would be long if I tried to name the other products that I worked with. For this project, I suggested directly going to use Oracle products to create a solution because my experience says that it is the best way to do it. With some solutions, it would only be possible to join two modems at the maximum. We needed something more robust and to me, it was obvious that out of everything Oracle was the best.

What other advice do I have?

My opinion of GoldenGate is that it is an improvement over earlier Oracle products. I think that the interface for GoldenGate is very user-friendly. I recommend that people support the use of Oracle GoldenGate and have made this opinion known to colleagues in Egypt who are responsible for team projects.

On a scale from one to ten — one being the worst and ten being the best — I would grade  Oracle GoldenGate as a nine right now. After one or two more months working with the product, maybe the nine would be ten. It could be ten right now because I haven't faced any problems. This tool and Oracle's reputation speak for themselves. I don't need to complicate the issues by involving and a big problem I had in the past. But if I need a real reason why it should not be a ten and a nine is justified, I need Oracle to improve its support in Egypt. This is a genuine issue that is ongoing.

Rishav Tiwary - PeerSpot reviewer
Rishav TiwaryManagement Trainee at DBSync

What is the pricing of oracle golden gate

Osama Mohei - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at National Water Company
A stable solution that can integrate heterogenic systems
  • "The initial setup is straightforward. It doesn't take too much time or effort to implement the solution."
  • "The solution, in general, should be easier to use, with less need to perform workarounds within the system."

What is our primary use case?

Right now we use GoldenGate adapt tools to integrate the Oracle database with Microsoft DataPoint. We also use GoldenGate for CDB and as a sophisticated feature for auditing on records and to help with records capture by GoldenGate.

What is most valuable?

GoldenGate is a perfect product. It's very stable and can integrate heterogenic systems. I believe GoldenGate is one of the best Oracle products.

What needs improvement?

Monitoring needs improvement. Right now we lose a lot of of time and effort. To have a real monitoring system is the most important thing. If you replicate between systems 24/7, you need a strong monitoring tool. It's not taken from a lot of effort and a lot of support and involvement with Nexus adapters to plug into our Oracle enterprise manager.

Scalability also needs to be addressed. There's not a straightforward way to handle it.

I've been using the solution for more than five years.

It's a very stable product because of its processing ability. If we have any issues, Oracle resolves them quickly. I appreciate Oracle support. It ensures GoldenGate offers a stable service.

Scalability is a challenge. I believe this area also needs more effort. If I need to set up GoldenGate on high availability deployment, we have to do a lot of workarounds. High levels of scalability are a challenge. It's not straightforward.

Oracle technical support in GoldenGate is not the same as Oracle support for their Azure database. Usually, we try to handle it ourselves because if we have to call, it might take three or four days and still not be handled correctly.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution around eight or nine out of ten. The solution is extremely stable.

it_user807540 - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good data replication capabilities, but integration and technical support need to be improved
  • "When we are replicating data between similar databases then it is straightforward."
  • "The process of transforming the data between two different databases is inefficient and needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller, and we implement this solution for our clients. They are generally either government or financial institutions. These clients use other Oracle technologies for tasks such as identity management and business intelligence. This solution is used to replicate the data for purposes such as disaster recovery and high availability.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is data replication. When we are replicating data between similar databases then it is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We are having a challenge in that we want to replicate different types of data, from one database to another, that have different types of elements. The process of transforming the data between two different databases is inefficient and needs to be improved.

Technical support for this solution could be improved.

The integration is not straightforward and should be made simpler.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable and we aren't facing any issues.

Scalability of this solution depends on the licensing from Oracle.

We have had trouble with the Oracle technical support. When we need them to reply to us, we need to open a 24/7 ticket. If we open a critical ticket instead, then nobody replies and it takes a lot of time. Consequently, whenever we are facing an issue and we need to open a Service Request (SR), we use the 24/7 support. This leads to three people working in parallel to resolve our problem. Otherwise, we will not get a resolution.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. For the installation, you need only follow the steps in the documentation.

There are a lot of tricks when it comes to licensing.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for data replication, but there are some areas that need to be improved.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Nafise Mohammadbeigi - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Analyst & BI Specialist at ABS LBS
Fast and efficient replication between central and local repositories
  • "This solution provides us with real-time replication and it does not affect the performance of other operations, which is very important to us."
  • "I find the user interface to be difficult for non-technical people."

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers, and our most recent deployment was for a client in France. The solution involved one central database and ten replicas that were distributed to the local offices. The central database is automatically updated as the replicas are changed, and similarly, when the central database is modified, each of the local copies is updated accordingly.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has improved both the speed and efficiency of the data replication process. Prior to this, I used packages with merge functionality for replication. The process was very slow, and sometimes had negative effects on the production database. This solution provides us with real-time replication and it does not affect the performance of other operations, which is very important to us.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the CDC (Changed Data Capture), which captures only the changes that are made to the data. This has the lowest load on the production database, and it runs very quickly in the background.

Reading directly from the log file makes updating the databases very fast.

What needs improvement?

I find the user interface to be difficult for non-technical people. It was suggested to me that I use the command prompt, which is fine for me because I am a technical person. However, when showing others, such as managers, how to use the product to provide details such as the system status, it is a bit difficult.

The inclusion of monitoring and management tools would be very nice.

The Oracle documentation is very complex, and some of the documents are very long. I prefer to use sites that are on the topic of Oracle, but in fact, are not run by Oracle itself.

In our experience, there is zero technical support for this solution.

Between four and five years.

This is a very stable solution, and I haven't had any problem with the tools.

This solution scales easily. It's dependent on the files and configuration, and you can do anything you want.

This solution is being used on a daily basis. We have approximately one thousand users on the production database, including both developers and end-users. We do have plans to increase our usage, although the interface for monitoring and managing becomes difficult to use when it grows to a certain point.

I have contacted technical support, but could not get any support. I would say that the support is zero.

Prior to this solution, we had a package that used an SQL process. It had come from Oracle Scheduler. We switched because it negatively impacted our production database, making it very slow. If there was downtime and the production database had transactions then it would take days to recover from the lag.

The initial setup of this solution is of medium difficulty. It is not straightforward; however, it is not as complex as it looks.

For a single deployment that has two sites, I would expect the process to take less than two hours, although it depends on the complexity of the replication.

An example of a more complicated configuration is where only a subset of the tables are being replicated, and the flow of data is different in both directions. Setting this up can take a very long time, and incur a large cost because of coding time.

We have three people to manage and maintain this solution. This includes making changes to the database. For the monitoring and altering, one person is sufficient and it will not take one hundred percent of their time.

We handled the implementation of this solution in-house.

We do like the price of this solution.

We did not evaluate other options when we chose this solution, although I am now considering other tools.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is priced well, is fast, and doesn't have any impact on our production database.

I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.

Ahmed El Banna - PeerSpot reviewer
Fintech Project Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to maintain, flexible, and scales with our environment
  • "This solution has a well-known procedure for troubleshooting and tuning the performance, providing for smooth operation."
  • "Additional performance metrics should be added and visible in a dashboard, displayed in a detailed manner."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is the replication of data between heterogeneous environments to implement a data hub. We use this for reporting purposes or to publish data to the various systems (acquire and publish technique) using multiple technologies and multiple platforms. They are typically Oracle DBs on Oracle platforms, with some different types of databases, like Teradata, and also sourcing data into Hadoop Big Data.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has a well-known procedure for troubleshooting and tuning the performance, providing for smooth operation. There is minimal effort required for maintenance, which would be performed by non-dedicated DBA.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its compatibility with Oracle DB and Oracle products, generally, as our environment is really dependant on them.

The flexibility for customization as well as the scalability of the tool is very important, as we expand our environment we can expand and scale up the tool on the go.

What needs improvement?

The User Interface should be improved in newer versions, but without putting any restrictions on the customization capabilities. Additional performance metrics should be added and visible in a dashboard, displayed in a detailed manner.

The licensing model should be improved to be more cost-effective for the end users.

Seven years.

This solution is straightforward to implement with a hassle-free setup.

Transforms data in real-time from one database to many or from many to one
  • "You can put data together from a few databases into one database or the other way, from one database into several. It transforms data in real-time."
  • "It's stable but you have to know how to maintain it. That's why it's not 10 out of 10 for me. There are some bugs, there are some issues here and there. All of a sudden your process is not working and you have to figure out why, and sometimes it's not so clear."

What is our primary use case?

The primary usage of the product is to transform data from one database to another, for an application.

How has it helped my organization?

If you have one environment that is for some application and it has a lot of data, and you need this information not only for the application but also for a warehouse - to do some analytics later - you just transform all that data to the warehouse and then you can work with it.

What is most valuable?

You can put data together from a few databases into one database or the other way, from one database into several. It transforms data in real-time. In my experience, it is able to transform a large amount of data within a few seconds.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be simplified, easier to manage.

This is the tricky part. It's stable but you have to know how to maintain it. That's why it's not 10 out of 10 for me. There are some bugs, there are some issues here and there. All of a sudden your process is not working and you have to figure out why, and sometimes it's not so clear.

Maybe they can simplify it. You learn the tool, you learn how to work with it. Now we have a very stable environment but it took like a few months until it became stable.

You have scalability. If you have a database and you have all sorts of objects inside and you want to transform them, you can add more objects.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle GoldenGate, of course.

Neil Chandler - PeerSpot reviewer
Database Architect and Oracle ACE Director at Chandler Systems
Enables migration from system to system with no downtime at incredible speed
  • "It allows us to migrate from one system to another, from one server to another, with no downtime, no outage. We can get the data synchronized with multiple databases and then switch the connectivity across to the new servers."
  • "It's very simple to configure, it's very simple to implement. In addition, the ability it has to capture data and transmit it with incredible speed is better than any of the product out there. It's extremely powerful."
  • "It scales well. You can either have it working in with the databases, or you can move it outside. It's got the ability to parallelize up, so you can certainly extract and replay the data from your databases in parallel. So it does have horizontal scalability. That is probably one of its stronger features, the ability just to automatically parallelize the replay and playing of data to allow to scale to large volumes."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case, generally speaking, is either data migration or data loading from an OLTP system to a data warehouse. It's probably Oracle's primary product for migration to the cloud, to later migrate from on-premises into cloud with zero downtime.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to migrate from one system to another, from one server to another, with no downtime, no outage. We can get the data synchronized with multiple databases and then switch the connectivity across to the new servers. Whether that's taking us from on-premise to the cloud or whether that's just going from server to server, either on-premise or within the cloud itself, it's an excellent solution.

What is most valuable?

It's the simplicity. It's very simple to configure, it's very simple to implement. In addition, the ability it has to capture data and transmit it with incredible speed is better than any of the product out there. It's extremely powerful.

It's extremely stable. It's one of the most stable products that I've ever used.

This is a new solution for us. We did a proof of concept for all of the systems out there and discovered that, from a performance perspective, Golden Gate certainly met all of our requirements, which is not necessarily the case with some of the rivals out there.

Oracle has implemented a slightly different technology. Instead of scraping the redo logs, the way the traditional replication of this type of system works, it's actually using a new technology, with its integrated Extracts and Replicats, to effectively use Oracle's streams to double the performance. It can literally run twice as fast as anybody else. We needed that to keep up with our transaction volumes.

For me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor is that it does the job.

I've done the initial setup of Golden Gate for many clients. It's extremely straightforward. It's probably the simplest replication tool I've ever used.

The one feature that I think Oracle could perhaps consider is, at the moment, the Veridata option is an extra cost. Golden Gate is an expensive product. You pay a lot for the best. But not including the Veridata license to prove that everything is working correctly... The big improvement for me would be to have that license built in. That would take it to the next level. That would make it a much better product.

You may want to look at buying term licenses if you've just got a single migration to do. In that situation, you might want a term license for perhaps a year to save a lot of money, rather than buying a perpetual license.

Other vendors that we were looking at were Dbvisit Replicate and Continuant, although the latter didn't have a product ready at that time (they do now). And there was also VMware Shareplex.

Those are the main rivals in the marketplace and, whilst they are substantially cheaper than Golden Gate, around a fifth of the price, they couldn't quite keep up with our transaction volumes.

What other advice do I have?

You've got to balance the cost with your requirements. You may find that using something like Dbvisit Replicate is good enough for what you are doing, and it is substantially cheaper.

Gurcan Orhan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Quality Software Development Manager at Yapı Kredi Bank
    • "Ease of installation, maintenance and powerful outputs and supporting Big Data and Cloud environment as well as OGGCS (Oracle Golden Gate Cloud Service)."
    • "It would be better for Oracle Golden Gate Studio GUI to include other licensed products (i.e. Veridata or others)."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Replicated source system data seamlessly flew in our Operational Data Store (ODS). Different types of source systems (IBM DB2, Microsoft SQL Server) are supported for real time replication.

With the upgrade, I now can able to replicate Big Data solution from any supported source system to Hadoop clusters.

What needs improvement?

Oracle GoldenGate Studio could be more user-friendly.

More than 5 years.

No, if found Oracle Support and/or Oracle Community helped me a lot.

In earlier versions, DDL support was limited as well as the need of primary key constraints in the source tables. This made me create partitions, sub-partitions, truncate and perform other operations upon they are performed in source systems and I need to discuss with source system administrators and need to convince them to let them create primary keys for replicated tables

But both issues are solved now.

Created some service requests about GoldenGate years before, but all are solved.

10 over 10.

Quest Shareplex, because of licensing costs.

Straightforward, easy. Deployed everything within Oracle Data Integrator.

In-house and vendor, depending on the project.

Developing 1000 of ODI interfaces for loading into Operational Data Store will took not more than 100 man/days. But, adding them to Golden Gate is taking not more than 5 man/days.

No comment about pricing and licensing.

Yes, we switched from SharePlex of Quest Software.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle GoldenGate is a stable, powerful and robust solution for your data replication needs. It supports not only Oracle, but also many source and target systems to replicate.

It now has the ability to work together with Oracle Enterprise Manager, as well as it has its own GUI (Oracle GoldenGate Studio).

Management Pack and VeriData are additional packs for your management and data verification needs.

it_user522123 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It replicates in real time between heterogeneous databases such as SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, Sybase.

Valuable Features

GoldenGate replicates in real time between heterogeneous databases such as SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, Sybase and others. In the next few years, we plan to use Oracle GoldenGate to real-time replicate to big data and the cloud.

Room for Improvement

Like everything else, it's getting complicated. I've been using it 15 years in the United States, which is probably at least the top one or two healthcare organizations in America, and it does quite an outstanding job. However, since GoldenGate was purchased by Oracle, it's become more challenging to work with. Obviously, Oracle is profitable but it's becoming quite tougher to work with.

For healthcare databases, there are three leaders for what they call EMRs, electronic medical records: Epic, the market leader in the United States; and then Cerner and GE/IDX. Oracle GoldenGate real-time replicates between databases, but not Epic's database, which is called Caché. Oracle does not do that. If you can come up with a product that replicates in real time from Caché to any other database such as Oracle, DB2, or SQL Server, you'll never have to work again. If you want to make a mint, that’s one thing it could do; it's wide open for somebody to tap into.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for probably 15 years.

Stability is outstanding, far superior to IBM and other competitors. Real time replication, that's the key.

It is quite scalable. They're investing into migrating to the cloud, big data, bi-directional – to and from – real-time replication, streaming, and others.

The support from Oracle could be improved; it is sometimes a challenge. Candidly, and quite anonymously, we sometimes know the product better than the Oracle technical support does. Unfortunately, there are some communication challenges as well; understanding American English.

Other Advice

I recommend buying the product. It performs outstanding. If you want to offload from your online transaction processing, your application, to an enterprise data warehouse, data lake, etc., this is far beyond a superior tool to the competitors. It's worth the price.

Solutions Developer at a music company with 51-200 employees
    We're able to use it for real-time ETL and implementation of zero-downtime migrations, but it needs a wizard for table replication.

Valuable Features

• Replication by SCN
    • Ability to perform basic data transformation/call user-defined functions
    • Exception handling
    • CDC capabilities when used with ODI

Improvements to My Organization

• Ability to implement zero-downtime migrations
    • Ability to scale horizontally
    • Ability to use ODI and Goldengate for real-time ETL

Room for Improvement

Current features:

None

New features:

Offer basic process monitoring out-the-box

Offer a (CLI) wizard for quickly creating and configuring (extract, pump, replicat) table replication

Use of Solution

3 years

Base versions where a bit buggy particularly during recovery after there were machine/host crashes or unexpected shutdowns. Latest patches/versions resolved these issues.

Only in Windows were there a few GoldenGate crashes, but we suspect these were due to insufficient memory.

No, although we haven't applied parallelism to any of our processes yet.

Very good. I have often spoken directly with support personal and P1 issues are handled swiftly.

Excellent for above P3.

Straightforward

Implementation Team

Initially through a vendor, Michael Rainey from RittmanMead, and we were able to support the product on our own after that. Michael's level of expertise is very high.

ROI

Hard to calculate, but GoldenGate offers an excellent ROI if you use the product cleverly.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

NA

Other Solutions Considered

Other Advice

Reduce the price to compete with products like DBVisit because once customers see the power behind this product, they will be locked in forever.

Database Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Oracle GoldenGate vs. Oracle Active Dataguard

As an Oracle DBA, while working upon high availability of your database you may stumble upon various Oracle strategic capabilities that fall into categories of Oracle Replication. Oracle provides various technologies for replication like GoldenGate, streams, and Active Dataguard. Replication being the primary purpose of all the mentioned technologies, each have different internal operational behavior. The purpose is to achieve maximum database availability, these mentioned technologies fully accommodate the requirement but internally there are differences at internal operational level. DBA's must learn and understand the functionality of both and know which technique can be used and in what scenario.

Let's discuss the differences between Oracle Active Dataguard and Oracle GoldenGate.

Oracle Active Dataguard is simple and the most economical solution for replication. The concept of active dataguard is a super set of traditional dataguard. It offers real time data protection and availability. Here in active replication you can place your secondary database in read-only mode, where the secondary database is available to users for limited usage like reporting and query offloading. Active Dataguard promises zero data loss across large distances without hampering performance. Other benefits to count on you can consider the capability of Active Dataguard to automatically repair the physical corruption without incurring any performance impact and availability of the dedicated servers. Using special purpose network devices Active Dataguard ensure minimal bandwidth utilization. With Active Dataguard DBAs can reduce the planned downtime to much extent while migrating or upgrading databases.

Oracle GoldenGate is the most advanced logical replication product from Oracle. This is especially well known for its cross-platform operating capabilities. GoldenGate provides a wide range of options addressing a number of customer replication needs. The basic principal is that it works up on is to capture online changes, distribute and deliver transactions across various secondary systems. The secondary database in this configuration which is available is read-write mode during replication and synchronizations, incurring additional overhead to maintain both database in same state. The beauty of GoldenGate lies in its capability to replicate the changes in heterogeneous IT environment taking into consideration all the components of IT along with various Database Management Systems. We can rely on the technology even in case of network outage between primary and secondary server located geographically at long distances. The recent release of product promises improved performance, reliability, consistency, conflict detections, data integrity etc.

It is really important to understand the feasibility of a solution taking into consideration the financial aspect of the organization while selecting an appropriate solution. Below are some comparison points that can let us decide which technology can be used to meet our requirements:

1. Use of Secondary Server: If there is any need to update the secondary server, you can do so with GoldenGate. Database is available in read-write mode and users can perform operation on the database. Whereas the database in case of Active Dataguard is open in read-only mode.

2. Supplemental Logging: With Active Dataguard you are not required to put on the supplemental logging for tables not having primary keys or unique indexes. Some configurations and settings with minimal performance overhead active dataguard handles most workload. GoldenGate compulsory requires supplemental logging tables with without primary key and unique indexes.

3. Maintenance & Migrations: Oracle Golden Gate provides the zero-downtime using 2-way or bi-directional replication. Whereas there are some scenarios where reduced downtime for various planned activities is not possible with Active Dataguard.

4. Cross-Edition migrations & replication: GoldenGate ensures the cross-platform replication and migration with zero-downtime. Active Dataguard requires the configuration to have same editions of database on the same operating platform on both primary and secondary environment. That means any cross-platform migration or replication is not provided by Active Dataguard.

5. Version backward Compatibility: GoldenGate is flexible enough to support the previous releases for replicating data from a newer version or release. This means that the data of Oracle 11g can be replicated on a Oracle 10g database.

Depending upon the requirements we can chose the replication technology. Even though we see the two different technologies separately there are some high availability architecture where both can be used.

it_user151902 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user151902User at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees

Helpful because it explained the details in an appropriate manner.

it_user90060 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Team Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Support for Oracle, MySQL, DB2, Sybase, Teradata, SQL server and others

In 2009, Oracle acquired Golden Gate to strengthen its data replication technology as part of future strategies within data warehouse and real time transaction database. Before this acquisition, Oracle had its own replication technology which mainly constitutes basic replication, advance replication and stream replication.

Oracle's basic replication process had two different methods: log based and trigger based. In log based replication, snapshot schema and DB links had to set up between source and target database. Data was transported from online redo log to target database over network.

In advance replication Oracle included multiple master replications from multiple environments and trigger based replication method.

In later versions of Oracle 9i, stream replication was introduced with improvements in its earlier replication technologies. It uses log based replication where committed transaction’s online redo log of source system is mined to target system over network. Also a new background process to manage communication and operations of replication activities has been introduced

However these replication technologies couldn't stand long as it involved complicacy and complex software development to harness the power of Oracle to Non Oracle database environment to allow the transaction to be moved between environment.

In 1990, a small software company Golden Gate came with different approach on data replication between cross platform. Instead of using different formats, Golden Gate implemented a uniform format and used a command prompt GGSCI (Golden Gate Software Command Interface) to perform data replication operation. Oracle Goldengate 11g supports both DDL and DML operation. Legacy Oracle 8i version or prior requires an upgrade to 9i or later to implement the Goldengate.

Goldengate supports all popular databases such as Oracle, MySQL, DB2, Sybase, Teradata, SQL server etc.

Goldengate contains three installable components which can be downloaded separately from Oracle's website and can be installed on both, source and target system depending on requirement. Below is the list of installable components for Goldengate:
    • Oracle Goldengate which includes GGSCI, DEFGEN, LOGDUMP and REVERSE.
    • Oracle Goldengate Director which includes Director Service application, Monitor Agent, Director Client and Administrator client.
    • Oracle Goldengate Veridata which includes Agent, CLI, Web interface.

Architecture

Manager Process
    • Start and manage Goldengate processes such as collector.
    • Manage port numbers.
    • Trail Management.
    • Createerror, event and reports.
    • Process command GGSCI.

Extract Process – Extract DML and DDL data from source database.

Data Pump Process: Option process but recommended. Read records from source trails, process them and passes over to target system.
    Collector Process: This background process runs on Target system. It writes records on remote trail.
    Replicate Process: ReadsRemote trail, process them and applies changes to target Database.
    Trail: It is a Goldengate intermittent file written in proprietary format by either extract process (source system) or collector background process (target system).
    it_user1221 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Database Expert at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Great Replication tool which gives easy of setup and a small software footprint

Valuable Features:

This product is meant to replace Oracle's Data Guard replication. The setup is simple and it can handle bi directional replication very easily. Training cost is minimal and most DBAs self learn this product. replication between various types of databases is supported and software foot print is very small . Change trails are not very big and easy to manage and store.

Room for Improvement:

DDL (data definition language) replication is still to mature and can be an issue. Supplemental logging causes extra redo log generation in the log storage. Licensing cost is higher as compared to other replication products. Configuration of Golden Gate in HA (High Availability) mode needs setup of extra VIPs which can be challenging in a RAC environment.

Other Advice:

Integration of Golden Gate with monitoring tools like OEM (Oracle Enterprise Manager) is still not available and most DBAs monitor this with custom scripts. We chose this product mostly on it's bidirectional replication feature and easy setup. Some applications are using this as a messaging mechanism between multiple databases.

Can we monitor using GUI tools like EM Oracle to Teradata replication using GoldenGate?

it_user837 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager of IT at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Data replication is seamless but time to value can be long

Valuable Features:

Data replication is seamless, once it is setup on a database. No triggers to setup.

Room for Improvement:

Amount of min. supplemental logging or storage needed is unknown and has to be figured out, so increases time to value.
    it_user4401 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user4401Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees

As far as I know, there is a feature called Syncfile in Goldengate. Do you know if this feature can be used for E-business suite file synching? Thank you.

Download our free Oracle GoldenGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022