IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Data Guard OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Data Guard is #22 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Oracle Data Guard an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Data Guard is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Oracle Data Guard vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Oracle Data Guard is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
Oracle Data Guard Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Data Guard Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Data Guard?

Oracle Data Guard ensures high availability, data protection, and disaster recovery for enterprise data. Data Guard provides a comprehensive set of services that create, maintain, manage, and monitor one or more standby databases to enable production Oracle databases to survive disasters and data corruptions. Data Guard can be used with traditional backup, restoration, and cluster techniques to provide a high level of data protection and data availability.

Oracle Data Guard was previously known as Active Data Guard.

Oracle Data Guard Customers

Athenahealth, Discover Financial Services

Oracle Data Guard Video

Archived Oracle Data Guard Reviews (more than two years old)

Mehmet Cem Fenerci - PeerSpot reviewer
Database and Infrastructure Architect at MNG Kargo
Has high availability but could be cheaper
  • "We use Data Guard for online replication from data center, to data center for high availability. This is the most important feature."
  • "It is a very useful administrative IT tool. It saves on costs."

What is most valuable?

We use Data Guard for online replication from data center to data center for high availability. This is the most important feature.

What needs improvement?

I'm not really sure about what needs improvement because we use all Data Guard's features successfully. Pricing is expensive and can use improvement.

I have been using Oracle Data Guard for about eight years.

Over the course of eight years, I do think this solution is very stable.
Oracle Data Guard
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Data Guard. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is scalable.  We also use Active Data Guard. We use it to clone the production environment. We constantly use it.

I have contacted their support. We have been using their support more. We open cases one to five times a month. We use a lot of Oracle databases and because of that, we contact their support a lot.  The quality of support will depend on the support engineer. If we speak to an agent from the Asian department, it could be a little difficult to understand the terminology. If it's with somebody from the US, Canada, or Europe, they're easier to understand.

We also use a real application cluster rack database. I have experience with IBM.

The initial setup was not complex. At first, many years back it was complex, but it's getting easier to set up in the last couple of years. It's been easier in the last few years and has been easier than past versions.  We had somebody help us with the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very useful administrative IT tool. It saves on costs. I strongly recommend Data Guard. I've been using it for eight years and I would strongly recommend it.  I'd rate Oracle Data Guard a seven out of ten. To make it a ten, the core base license could be cheaper. The cloud environment would also make it cheaper.

CTO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and scalable, with a simple setup
  • "The solution is quite stable. We haven't experienced any bugs, glitches, or crashes. We find it to be quite reliable."
  • "The pricing of the solution is quite high. They should do what they can to bring it down so that it is more reasonable for customers like us."

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite complete. The entire package, and all the features that come with it, is very good.

What needs improvement?

The response times for technical support can be quite slow. They should work to lower these wait times so there are fewer delays in assistance.

We've been using the solution for eight years.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it they can.

We typically work with enterprise-level clients.

We've only reached out to technical support maybe one or two times. The technical support response times can be a bit long. However, overall, we've been satisfied with their level of assistance.

The initial setup is quite simple. I would describe it as straightforward. It's not complex.

What other advice do I have?

We're Oracle partners. We've worked with databases 11G and 12C.

If a company is planning to implement Oracle solutions, I would suggest they also implement Data Guard.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Oracle Data Guard
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
General Manager - IT at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Backup and recovery that is flexible, easy to maintain, and synchronizes your data to access at any time
  • "The most valuable features are the backup and restore. With this in place along with the clustering, the database is safe from hacking, hardware failure, power failures, and system crashes."
  • "When the data replicates into the standby database there is a possibility of having a microsecond amount of data loss. The data loss occurs when there is a network disconnection between the primary and secondary standby database located in the data centers or if there is a crash in the primary database."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for data protection, disaster recovery, and it's used as a backup database to restore the primary databases.

It gives the client comfort in case of any incidents, disaster or any catastrophic situation because it maintains, manages, and monitors the database and keeps a backup.

What is most valuable?

If anything were to happen you can immediately recall your data and bring your production server back to business.

It's flexible and easy to maintain because you are configuring your primary database and a standby database in one or more locations.

What needs improvement?

When the data replicates into the standby database there is a possibility of having a microsecond amount of data loss.

The data loss occurs when there is a network disconnection between the primary and secondary standby database located in the data centers or if there is a crash in the primary database.

The data is generated on the primary database which is configured to the standby database to duplicate it on a real-time basis. So if there is a system crash or disconnection and in the time it takes to get it back up, you can lose a microsecond amount of data.

When I experienced a small crash, I compared the data between the primary database and the standby database and found that there was a small difference in the amount of data. Not all of it was replicated or backed up.

It creates issues with synchronizing the data.

Because the focus in Data Guard is in the backup and restore, there hasn't been much with the interface.

In the next release, if there could be more focus on the interface to include add-on features that would be an added advantage going forward.

I have been using Oracle Data Guard for almost six years.

This solution is stable. We haven't experienced any issues with it.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not complex.

The time it takes to deploy depends on how long it takes to replicate the primary database and to configure the standby database, but on average it can take a couple of hours.

You only need one or two people to maintain the system.

We are integrators and we implement the solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is for small to medium-sized businesses, who can't afford to have two data centers or two servers.

Oracle Data Guard has many features to ensure that the database is in place. In case the primary database goes down or is corrupt in any way, you can recall the data immediately to restore the primary database.

It's important to know that backup is in place at any given time.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Lead Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The disaster recovery is good but it is a rather complex solution
  • "The solution has been stable so far."
  • "It is a rather complex solution, so it could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented Oracle Data Guard for disaster recovery, even though one can't implement disaster recovery across multiple sites using stretch clusters, and implement a server pool at both sites. You have to build a dedicated server pool on each of the locations.

What is most valuable?

We only use this solution from a functionality point of view to provide software coverage, so I haven't seen any special functionalities yet. It just really provides recovery in case of a disaster. It also provides a really good product forecast, like what will happen after 2023.

What needs improvement?

It is a rather complex solution, so it could be more user-friendly.

The solution has been stable so far. I would like to know what the performance impact will be when we go to the really big database of a customer. Because you have to synchronize everything to that effective location, with no data loss extracted, which means you have to go for a really hot interface. So you have to look at the experience for big databases. But so far there have been no problems with big databases.

So far we've only had to open one ticket regarding a failure with the encryption manager of defected fault and it was handled well. We've dealt with Oracle's customer service for eight years, and their service is astonishingly good.

Oracle has a team that can help you with the setup. We have tested the solution for more than 2 months because moving our labeled, especially our big databases, because it's always an issue. With Data Guard, the main thing was for the application to switch the default recovery site in case of a disaster, and finding out how to score this site afterwards.

It's a master of making money! If you want to have everything automated and done smoothly, you have to add additional licenses. They should have more standard licenses without us having to go for additional licenses to get full support.

Regarding infrastructure, most of the time the additional costs for uploading systems, alarming the operations, patching the operating system, caring about the shadow data, all of this needs to be maintained as well. So we end up having additional costs and that's why I would advise others to avoid it, if possible.

What other advice do I have?

I don't really have any advice for other users, because we only use the solution's basic functionality for disaster recovery. Personally, I would advise others to avoid it due to its complexity. On a scale from one to ten, I rate this solution a seven. From a functionality point of view, I can't complain about Data Guard. But I would avoid it as it adds more complexity to a configuration, which is not necessary. From a setup point of view, Oracle has experienced people that will help you with it.

Intersystem Manager at Interplast
An excellent disaster recovery solution that's very stable
  • "The solution is really very stable. One good thing about it, compared to other products, is that you can just run it and forget about it. Unless you come across some interruptions in the network, it works like a charm."
  • "The implementation is complex for anyone who's jumping into it without any experience. It's all command-line driven implementations. For some, that's a turn-off."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

Once you get used to it, you get to know what to do when certain things happen. However, for a person who's just jumping into it, the management of it and how to implement it probably would be something that could be improved upon. The GUI could be better.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is really very stable. One good thing about it, compared to other products, is that you can just run it and forget about it. Unless you come across some interruptions in the network, it works like a charm.

When you are using an Oracle product you get Oracle support. The support that we received has been good. There were no issues on that front.

We previously used an SQL server.

Most of the time taken during deployment was for the restoration of the backup. We chose the backup methods because our DR was across the VPN and the speed for which to make the online backup was too small. Instead, we took the backup from the source and just copied over to the target and then stored it there. That particular process took time. Other than that, the deployment docs for Data Guard made everything pretty quick. It took maybe an hour, or an hour and a half.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the GUI was better, but it's a very stable solution.

For disaster recovery, I think this is one of the best native Oracle products that you could use, provided you have the Enterprise edition.

Oracle DBA Customer Capacity Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Adds an extra layer of a high-availability platform and minimizes the application outages
  • "We chose this solution for the availability of the databases. We can't afford Oracle Grid, this is the best solution if you want something similar that's less expensive."
  • "For every standby server you have, you must pay a licensing fee, which is the main disadvantage."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is for the high availability. If the database or server crashes, the switches go over to the standby database becoming the primary database. We use Data Guard in order to have a high-availability solution and high-availability configuration in our data center.

How has it helped my organization?

Data Guard adds an extra layer of a high-availability platform. The database minimizes the outage of applications in case something goes wrong with the primary database, allowing us to resume activities, losing minimal time.

What is most valuable?

We chose this solution for the availability of the databases. Since we can't afford Oracle Grid, this is the best solution if you want something similar that's less expensive.

What needs improvement?

A disadvantage is that the available disk space must be doubled. This is because Data Guard is made of two databases, one primary and one as a standby running permanently. We must pay the Oracle license on the second server. For every standby server you have, you must pay a licensing fee, which is the main disadvantage.

I have been using Oracle Data Guard for the past ten years.

The stability is quite stable and it's reliable. From time to time I have had some issues, where I get an error message saying that both databases stopped synchronizing for a while. It doesn't mean that the problem comes from Data Guard. The problem could come from other areas like the network, a slow network for example.

I don't have an opinion about scalability. I have always followed the same kind of installation.

There is no specific Data Guard support in place. You either pay for the support or for an Enterprise edition giving you support for features that are included in this edition of Oracle. If you don't pay then you don't get support.

I am satisfied with the support.

Data Guard was already in place with this company.

As far as the installation, you should have an understanding of Data Guard. I am experienced with it and didn't require the script for the whole configuration and connection. If you don't have experience with Data Guard, then you must read the installation and configuration instructions.

I implemented this solution.

This is the best solution if you want something similar that's less expensive than Oracle Grid. We pay once per year.

We use a cluster for some customers instead of Data Guard, but it is a different concept. However, it is more or less the same.

What other advice do I have?

They could enhance their GUI or they should have a cloud control tool. They should have Data Guard tools in order to troubleshoot whenever there is a problem. There isn't anything in place for the configuration. Everything has to be done manually within the standard guide in Data Guard-related commands. Having a GUI with Data Guard is something that would be appreciated.

Computer Engineer at Nestle
A robust and efficient solution that scales easily
  • "Technical support is very good. If at any time we write a ticket, we get the appropriate answer on time."
  • "The database administration needs improvement. With Oracle, we have a lot of features for administrating data, but it might be too many. It needs to be simplified. It should be automated. Looking at Enterprise Manager, there are too many KPIs in place."

What is our primary use case?

We have a couple of Oracle systems that are attached to different types of applications.
In terms of Data Guard, we use it for factory monitoring.

What is most valuable?

We like Oracle because the solution is very robust. It's also efficient for queries and is easy to scale.

What needs improvement?

The database administration needs improvement. With Oracle, we have a lot of features for administrating data, but it might be too many. It needs to be simplified. It should be automated. Looking at Enterprise Manager, there are too many KPIs in place. Directly on-site, we do not need to choose all of them. Administration, generally speaking, needs to be improved.

Oracle should also continue to simplify the upgrade using Data Guard. We have already seen reduced outage timing any time we are doing upgrade, so maybe they are heading in that direction, but it can always be improved.

I've been using the solution for more than 10 years.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have roughly 1,000 users right now.

Technical support is very good. If at any time we write a ticket, we get the appropriate answer on time.

The set is straightforward but it is dependent on the audience you have. Internally, we have experienced DBAs, so deploying Oracle is straightforward. If we had to do the same job for an external company it could be complex.

Previously we were doing the set up ourselves. Now, for more than a decade, we work with a third party, and we delegate the deployment, the support, and the maintenance of the Oracle Database.

The pricing of Oracle is average. It's not inexpensive but it's okay.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are using the on-premise version on the solution.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten. I would recommend the solution because it is a good product and it's working fine. But I'm not sure if it's suitable for every consideration or any environment.

Osama Mustafa - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Expert | DevOps | Oracle Consultant at confidential
  • "Oracle Data Guard is a free solution. When you apply for Enterprise Manager, it comes for free with the solution."
  • "Oracle Data Guard is stable, but you need to keep monitoring the system all the time. You need to keep monitoring the archives."

What is our primary use case?

Data focus is the main issue. Most of the features of a new database still go to an Oracle administration section.

How has it helped my organization?

The monitor can predict if you have any issues or develop actions to find a solution for them.

What is most valuable?

We use the product for data recovery.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. This product needs some improvement in administration. I would love to see something that makes monitoring much easier.

The product needs some of the GUI tools so there is no need for all the long process.

I have been using the Oracle Data Guard ( /products/oracle-data-guard-reviews ) for 14 years.

Oracle Data Guard is stable, but you need to keep monitoring the system all the time. You need to keep monitoring the archives. If some of the archives have been deleted, you need to do it manually. It is a lot of work pressure and a lot of monitoring.

You need to do the dummy work every day just to ensure that Oracle Data Guard is working at the point when you need it.

Scalability with Oracle Data Guard is not straightforward, i.e. the configuration.

We use two different kinds in that case of data guard. You cannot keep looking at the overhead of the projection servers. Oracle Data Guard should know what you are doing. This is the problem. For migrations, it can be a long time.

For Oracle tech support, you do it yourself. When you open a ticket, it can take time to solve it. Often you can find a bug that went unreported.

The initial setup is straightforward. Just follow the documentation. For our present situation, it was dependent on the project and the database files.

Sometimes the setup took one day, sometimes only one hour. It was depending on the size of the database. It could be very fast for me.

I did the implementation of Oracle Data Guard by myself.

Oracle Data Guard is a free solution. When you apply for Enterprise Manager, it comes for free with the solution. When you apply an enterprise solution to a database, you have to pay. It depends on the connotation of the project and what you need for the protocol.

What other advice do I have?

Keep monitoring. This is the problem with the product. You have to keep monitoring the system all the time, just to avoid the interruption from the archive mode.

I am going to give Oracle Data Guard a seven out of ten. It still needs improvements. When you are doing the troubleshooting there are no monitoring tools. You have to keep watching the log all the time. Also, for the configuration, if you miss one of the backlogs, you have to re-issue again. Re-issuing is not easy. It's a long process to do it.

Rita Nuñez - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Tecnix Solutions
Ensures data protection and reduces backup overhead, when set up well
  • "If you have a problem with your primary site and can't access your primary database, you can continue working with the database that you have as standby on the other site, by changing its role to primary."
  • "Another valuable feature is the possibility of backing up the database from the standby database instead of the primary database, to avoid backup process overhead in the primary system."
  • "I think it would be great to have a graphical interface assistant (like DBCA, ASMCA, NETCA, etc.) for initial configuration, monitoring, configuring Oracle Data Guard Broker and all the Data Guard Broker commands, without needing Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control installed."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Data Guard ensures data protection and disaster recovery. The better way to configure Data Guard is by having an Oracle production database on one site as the primary database, and an Oracle standby database on another site. This solution provides high availability.

What is most valuable?

Active Data Guard is other feature with advanced capabilities that extend basic Data Guard functionality. Some of the functions of Active Data Guard are:

• Real Time Query - Offloads read-only workloads to an up-to-date standby database
  • Automatic Block Repair - Automatically detects a block corruption and repairs it.

What needs improvement?

I think it would be great to have a graphical interface assistant (like DBCA, ASMCA, NETCA, etc.) for initial configuration, monitoring, configuring Oracle Data Guard Broker and all the Data Guard Broker commands, without needing Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control installed.

More than five years.

There is no issue with primary database stability. Once Data Guard is configured, you don't have to change anything more in your primary database.

Oracle Data Guard is a feature available only in Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, and is available for extra cost.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Oracle Partner and Oracle University Partner.
it_user719811 - PeerSpot reviewer
Tech Lead Oracle DBA / SME
A simple replication solution for small businesses

What is most valuable?

The Active Data Guard and Fast-Start Failover features are excellent. The Active Data Guard helps in providing read only data for reporting purposes. The Fast-Start Failover is an automatic feature that allows failover from primary database instance/server to the preferred standby instance/server.

How has it helped my organization?

I've implemented these features in several projects.

What needs improvement?

Oracle Data Guard is part of the Oracle Database Enterprise Edition. Oracle Corporation has provided features in Data Guard for its new Database version Oracle 12c.

I've used Oracle Data Guard for over eight years.

Yes, If the underlying Network is not stable, then the Data Guard and Standby Databases will disconnect and not be operational.

Oracle Support is rated an eight out of 10.

If the Database SLA is much higher than Oracle RAC, it is a better product than Data Guard.

The initial setup was simple, but there were problems setting up the connectivity between the different servers. Once these problems are resolved, then the Data Guard was operational.

The Oracle Data Guard is part of the Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, there is no extra licensing cost for the software. However, there is a hardware cost for the number of Standby Databases for each server and storage.

The only other product is Oracle RAC which is very expensive for small businesses as it involves software for clustering, hardware for networking and larger SAN environments.

What other advice do I have?

It's a simple replication solution for small businesses.

it_user515112 - PeerSpot reviewer
Oracle DBA at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides an active data guard.

What is most valuable?

Provides an active data guard.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better failover.

We have been using this solution for five years.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give customer service a rating of 7/10.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

We did not evaluate another solution.

We did not implement through a vendor team.

We did not evaluate other options.

it_user515316 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Technical Operations - Storage, Databases & Business Intelligence at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Provides online replication.

What is most valuable?

This is one of the most stable products to support critical DR sites.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with online replication.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see replication/fail-over sites.

We have been using this for over five years.

There were not many deployment issues.

There were not many stability issues.

We sometimes had scalability issues with read only.

I would give customer service a rating of 8/10.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

There were no previous solutions.

It was a self-driven setup. It was not too much trouble.

We implemented in-house.

We are under ULA.

We did not evaluate many other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It simply works.

it_user436194 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Analyst at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've experienced no issues with performance.

What is most valuable?

We use it for backing up our data, so from the standby instance.

What needs improvement?

Data Guard has been around for a very long time and a lot of big companies are using it. I don't see that it needs any improvement or anything like that. I think it's pretty solid.

I've been using it for more than 15 years.

We've experienced no issues with performance.

When you open up SR Oracle has a list of things which they ask for. Being an end customer, when we open SR, we give as much as information as we want and again the support person comes into the picture, and without reading what we have put through, they just has the same question over and over. What version, what product, all that kind of things, which is not at all fair.

What other advice do I have?

It’s the backbone. Nobody interacts with it, it's only the DBAs who use it I think. Once you set it up it's pretty much done. You don't deal with it on a daily basis.

Maybe not all products are up to the speed or like any product you take, there is space to improve. I think for our company, the way we use it, we are very happy with it and the end customer is very happy with it.

Manager Database Administration at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Logical standby database is a handy feature for reporting purposes.

Valuable Features:

I have found its switchover functionality to be most useful using which you can perform disaster recovery within no time. Its feature of FAL is also pretty useful that helps to keep both sites (primary and standby) synchronized. Logical standby database is also a pretty handy feature for reporting purposes.

Improvements to My Organization:

Active Data Guard has helped us a lot in achieving the real time reporting by offloading our heavy reports from Production to Standby database.

Room for Improvement:

Limited functionality to exclude any schema/table from replication would be helpful.

Currently Data Guard replicates whatever DML operation is performed on primary database is replicated to standby database as it is. To improve it bit further, if Oracle can provide some kind of feature in which user can select any schema or 5-10 collection to tables in some schema that user doesn't want to replicate. Because this kind of feature is available in Oracle Golden Gate which a separate licensed product with a lot of features like that one that I mentioned for limited replication, heterogeneous replication, cross database replication.

Download our free Oracle Data Guard Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022