Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is the #7 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse?

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is the world’s first and only autonomous database optimized for analytic workloads, including data marts, data warehouses, data lakes, and data lakehouses. With Autonomous Data Warehouse, data scientists, business analysts, and nonexperts can rapidly, easily, and cost-effectively discover business insights using data of any size and type. Built for the cloud and optimized using Oracle Exadata, Autonomous Data Warehouse benefits from faster performance and, according to an IDC report (PDF), lowers operational costs by an average of 63%.

Autonomous Database provides the foundation for a data lakehouse—a modern, open architecture that enables you to store, analyze, and understand all your data. The data lakehouse combines the power and richness of data warehouses with the breadth, flexibility, and low cost of popular open source data lake technologies. Access your data lakehouse through Autonomous Database using the world's most powerful and open SQL processing engine.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Customers

Hertz, TaylorMade Golf, Outront Media, Kingold, FSmart, Drop-Tank

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Video

Archived Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user1182006 - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Consultant at DXC
Self-patching means I generally don't need a DBA; detailed analytics make it very capable
  • "Self-patching and runs machine-learning across its logs all the time"
  • "Ease of connectivity could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Autonomous is a self-repairing version or cloud-based version of the Oracle Database. I typically use the new Data Warehouse capacity so I'll use it if I'm building anything connected to finance, HR, plus any of the standard business products. We also use it for other Oracle products if they're cloud-based; such as with ACM and all their other ERP tools, where the data resides on ADW. We're a consultancy so we partner with Oracle as well as other companies. I'm the principal consultant of the company.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that the solution is self-patching, that it's running machine-learning generally across its logs all the time in order to identify any issues and to self-repair. It means that I don't really need a DBA for the most part. I can do everything myself.

The product is also smart enough that it doesn't need me to set indexes because it's in the memory log so I don't have to specify them, it will actually learn and build the ones that are necessary.

I'm reasonably happy with what they're packaging. Because they've got the cloud offering, there's a lot of things that aren't part of ADW, yet interact with ADW. Purely as a database, it does what it needs to do. And then I've got the detailed analytics and machine learning, so I'm happy with that. It's a capable product.

What needs improvement?

Ease of interconnectivity could be improved by which I mean setting up the VPN access and the like from on-premises to cloud. If that was a little easier, it would certainly make my life easier.

I've been using Oracle databases since 2011 and Oracle Autonomous for the last two and a half years.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable solution, I haven't had any issues.

This is an easy solution to scale, it's just a matter of changing parameters, and it will restart itself, although in the latest update the restart might not be required anymore.

I've had contact with technical support many times. Normally I fill out a service request and they have a set of processes that they run. And even if you understand those and give them all of the information they require before they ask for it, I find they're still likely to delay the process to give themselves time. They will move the bug fix or the investigation up to a higher level of technical skill if required.

Other solutions I use are the standard on-premise Oracle Database and Microsoft SQL. Obviously we do a lot of web development, but I use MySQL for that. The product I use at any one time depends on the client. As a consultant, I work with whatever technology is required, but typically it's on an Oracle setup.

The initial setup is extremely simple. If you know in advance what you intend to set up, it takes less than five minutes before you're actually running or creating tables and placing data. It's very quick. We do the setup ourselves, specify capacity, username, password and then it should be up and running in a matter of minutes.

It doesn't require any maintenance on our part, that's all controlled by Oracle. The patching is done automatically, typically with zero outage and there's no performance tuning really, because it does the majority of it itself. Internally, we'd have a couple of hundred people dealing with the product at any one time.

Licensing costs are typically arranged by Oracle CPU. You pay for the access and then you can scale. If you have a fairly intensive database activity, you'd scale up by CPU, and you're paying by the CPU and the uptime. So there's a marginal uptime cost. If your operations are only running 12 hours a day, you can put your database offline after that and reduce costs. If you had multiple databases supporting the same environment, let's say a development, a test, and a production, you could just turn off the development and the test when you're not fixing anything or developing, and that would reduce your costs. There is also a free version of ADW that can be accessed if you create a cloud account. I think it allows for 20MB of space that is free.

What other advice do I have?

It's worth looking at what Oracle has available because their ETL tool, for example, which is called ODI, Oracle Data Integration, is free if the target of the platform is Oracle ADW. So you can build an entire ETL or ODI process on a very capable tool and not have to pay for that tool if the target is an ADW database.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Private Cloud

Syed Jaffar Hussain - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs
  • "It provides Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities by default to address data security issues."
  • "One of the major problem is creating custom tablespace. The ADB serverless option doesn't support custom tablespace creation, which could cause issues during on-premise database migration that requires specifically named tablespace. There should be an option to create customized tablespace."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle offers this solution as Platform as a service (PaaS). The serverless option provides cost optimization to the organization where they can save huge amounts of money, but not require a highly skilled DBA to manage the database.

Oracle controls the entire service, where a customer is only responsible for managing data. All other things are managed and maintained by Oracle. There is no billing when the service is stopped.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution really helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs and no HW requirements. Autonomous Database (ADB) provides a highly scalable, secured platform. With Exadata on the back-end, we can achieve higher performance, durability, and data security. You can switch off and on the service to avoid excessive cost/charges. It can be easily accessed remotely. Besides, Oracle has a new DC in our region which greatly resolves DB security and other local governance body issues.

What is most valuable?

ADB runs on Exadata technology, which is the proven industry best solution for any kind of workloads. Besides, ADB provides complete automated features, such as, self patching, upgrade, tuning, automated indexing, and automated backups. Also, recovery of the database is easy.

The entire host and DB software maintenance is done by Oracle and automated. Also, it provides Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities by default to address data security issues. In addition, the connectivity is highly secured.

What needs improvement?

An ADB serverless service provides no control over storage, host, and facilities. One of the major problem is creating custom tablespace. The ADB serverless option doesn't support custom tablespace creation, which could cause issues during on-premise database migration that requires specifically named tablespace. There should be an option to create customized tablespace.

There are many data types and parameters which are not supported. That should be improved a bit so many customers can adopt.

Over six months now.

With different layers of protection, it is highly stable. Besides, you can choose to have a replica at another region or domain.

Considering Oracle Cloud setups, it is highly scalable.

Oracle is responsive towards cloud problems.

We were using on-premises databases for testing new application functionality. This was causing a lot of cost to the organization.

With pre-DBA knowledge, it is simple, straightforward procedure.

In-house team.

High.

We discussed other cloud solutions, but the Oracle offering was cost optimized.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it for companies who want to test their application functionality, dev, or test DBs for cost optimization.

With existing DBA knowledge, it is easy to manage and migrate a database to ADB.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
November 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jurij Visnar - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at Unior d.d.
Stable, with good analytics, but needs to offer support for the R language
  • "The analytics have been very good. We've found them to be quite useful."
  • "Sometimes the solution works differently between the cloud and on-premises. It needs to be more consistent and predictable."

What is our primary use case?

We're currently using the solution to move data from legacy systems to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The analytics have been very good. We've found them to be quite useful.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer support for the R language. It doesn't exist and it really is something they should have.

There isn't support for data migrations. It would be helpful to have more documentation or information about this process. It's not easy for us to find online or on their website.

We have only been using the solution for about a year on a few projects that we are currently running.

We haven't found any issues with stability. There might have been two or three small issues around having the database inaccessible occasionally, but other than that, it's good. We haven't faced any bugs or crashes.

The scalability is okay.

We are planning to have 50-60 users on the solution once we've finished the projects we are working on. Right now, it's a work in progress.

We've had to contact technical support in the past for a few issues. However, our partner contacted them and dealt with the problems, so I haven't had any direct contact myself. I wouldn't be able to rate their service or give any insight into it.

The initial setup was handled by our partner. We didn't handle it. I wouldn't be able to speak about if it was complex or straightforward as I wasn't personally involved.

We had a partner handle our setup for us.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if I'm capable of giving advice to anyone as it's a solution that's so new to us still.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

MichaelBeeck - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Evangelist, CTO, Entrepreneur with 1-10 employees
It is a good data management system and the setup is easy and straightforward
  • "I really like the auto-tuning, auto-scaling, and the automatic load balancing and query tuning in the system."
  • "I would like to see an on-premise solution in the future."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as a data management system for analytics.

What is most valuable?

I really like the auto-tuning, auto-scaling, automatic load balancing, and query tuning in the system.

I have been using this solution only for a couple of weeks or months.

The solution is very stable.

The technical support is quick to answer but sometimes it takes too long to get a competent person on the line.

If you are familiar with Oracle products, the initial setup is easy and straightforward. The deployment took only a few hours because it is on the cloud.

Other options out there are Microsoft Azure Data Warehouse and AWS Redshift. Anyone who has to deal with analytics, to get the processes, marketing processes, and financial processes working, should consider a data warehouse solution because a data warehouse solution is always the underlying infrastructure for good analytics.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see an on-premise solution in the future. There are other very good solutions in the market, so if I would rate it a ten, it would be the best in the market. I, therefore, rate this solution an eight out of ten.

President at Vlamis Software Solutions
Saves time by allowing me to simply load my data and go
  • "I loved the simplicity of loading the data and simply relying on the self-tuning capabilities of ADW."
  • "I would like to see Application Express and Oracle R Enterprise fully supported, and I would like to see Oracle Data Mining supported as a front end."

What is our primary use case?

We evaluated Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse for use in a client project. We were among the first to try out this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I was able to set up a data warehouse very quickly. For a pilot project, I didn't want to get into a complicated scenario of determining indexes and partition strategies. I just wanted to load my data and go. Oracle ADW worked very well in this regard.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Existing Oracle customers interested in the Autonomous Data Warehouse should know that this is a different experience than the classic Oracle DB Enterprise Edition. Yes, this is a database capable of running an entire enterprise, with unparalleled performance, available disaster recovery, and cutting-edge analytics. But the analytics come with new Notebook technology to code collaboratively with the rest of your team, not the classic data miner GUI interface. Don't expect to tune your queries with various indexes and fancy partitioning strategies. The system is designed to run on autopilot, not be carefully controlled and highly tuned. And, due to security limitations, neither the powerful GUI development environment Application Express (yet?) nor Oracle R Enterprise are not available. Hopefully these features can be added in a future release and the system can be accessed more easily without compromising the database's security.

I have previously built Oracle databases. I wanted to try out the autonomous database to save on database setup time.

I would recommend to fully utilize Oracle's trial service. It's a good way to try it out first.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that you still have to define your "schema". You still define the columns in each table. This is a necessary step. It would be great if Oracle added a wizard that takes data and "figures out" what the column names are (e.g. perhaps noticing that Boston, Los Angeles, New York could be a CITY column). This would be in line with making it "autonomous".  Maybe it's there and I don't know how to make that happen.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a customer of Oracle and also an Oracle Partner.
Dan Vlamis - PeerSpot reviewer
Dan VlamisPresident at Vlamis Software Solutions

For any lurkers here following this, you should know that ADW has some improvements over the summer, including Spatial and Graph capabilities (see the separate offering Spatial Studio) and Application Express is now supported on ADW. As well, there's a SQL Developer on the Web interface that is now being deploying that offers a complete development package similar to what you would expect in a Windows thick-client interface, but with an interface that runs in the browser.

BenjaminArnulf - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Director BI & Analytics at Hertz Global Holdings, Inc.
Delivers the performance we need for large scale financial and procurement data
  • "Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is used globally to deliver extreme performance on large Financial data sets."
  • "An improvement for us would be the inclusion of support for an internal IP, so we could use it directly with the VCN in Oracle Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse in Oracle Cloud with Oracle Analytics on top of financial and procurement data.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is used globally to deliver extreme performance on large financial data sets. The data warehouse offers amazing performance.

What is most valuable?

The three top features for us are:

• Self-tuning
  • Self-securing
  • Self-patching

On top of it, you can create an instance in three minutes and use it with Oracle Analytics.

What needs improvement?

An improvement for us would be the inclusion of support for an internal IP, so we could use it directly with the VCN in Oracle Cloud. Basically, the autonomous data warehouse can only be reached using the public network which is not ideal for some companies. We usually use private network and need private IP to include it into our subnet.

We do not need more for now, it's working perfectly. I know Oracle is working on a solution.

Less than one year.

Stable, perfectly tuned, nothing to do.

We have had an amazing experience with technical support. Oracle has been helping us as we were almost the first to adopt it.

We tested different databases and vendors, but we needed extreme performance and a managed solution.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward, with almost nothing to do. The setup is very, very fast.

We used Deloitte for implementation and deployment.

The cost is perfect with Oracle Universal credit.

The products that we evaluated before choosing this solution were:

What other advice do I have?

Amazing performance. It's a revolution.

Download our free Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022