We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is #6 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 46% of all views.
What is Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse?

Autonomous Data Warehouse is market-leading Oracle Database software running on proven Oracle Exadata infrastructure that is optimized to deliver unbeatable performance for data warehouse workloads. Built-in adaptive machine learning eliminates manual labor for administrative management. With Oracle, business and enterprise users can now build their own data warehouse, data mart, or sandbox in a few minutes.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Customers
Hertz, TaylorMade Golf, Outront Media, Kingold, FSmart, Drop-Tank
Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Video

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse pricing:
  • "ROI is high."
  • "You pay as you go, and you don't pay for services that you don't use."
  • Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Reviews

Andrew McLaren
    Principal Consultant at DXC
    Self-patching means I generally don't need a DBA; detailed analytics make it very capable
    • "Self-patching and runs machine-learning across its logs all the time"
    • "Ease of connectivity could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Autonomous is a self-repairing version or cloud-based version of the Oracle Database. I typically use the new Data Warehouse capacity so I'll use it if I'm building anything connected to finance, HR, plus any of the standard business products. We also use it for other Oracle products if they're cloud-based; such as with ACM and all their other ERP tools, where the data resides on ADW. We're a consultancy so we partner with Oracle as well as other companies. I'm the principal consultant of the company.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that the solution is self-patching, that it's running machine-learning generally across its logs all the time in order to identify any issues and to self-repair. It means that I don't really need a DBA for the most part. I can do everything myself.

The product is also smart enough that it doesn't need me to set indexes because it's in the memory log so I don't have to specify them, it will actually learn and build the ones that are necessary.

I'm reasonably happy with what they're packaging. Because they've got the cloud offering, there's a lot of things that aren't part of ADW, yet interact with ADW. Purely as a database, it does what it needs to do. And then I've got the detailed analytics and machine learning, so I'm happy with that. It's a capable product.

What needs improvement?

Ease of interconnectivity could be improved by which I mean setting up the VPN access and the like from on-premises to cloud. If that was a little easier, it would certainly make my life easier.

I've been using Oracle databases since 2011 and Oracle Autonomous for the last two and a half years.

This is a stable solution, I haven't had any issues.

This is an easy solution to scale, it's just a matter of changing parameters, and it will restart itself, although in the latest update the restart might not be required anymore.

I've had contact with technical support many times. Normally I fill out a service request and they have a set of processes that they run. And even if you understand those and give them all of the information they require before they ask for it, I find they're still likely to delay the process to give themselves time. They will move the bug fix or the investigation up to a higher level of technical skill if required.

Other solutions I use are the standard on-premise Oracle Database and Microsoft SQL. Obviously we do a lot of web development, but I use MySQL for that. The product I use at any one time depends on the client. As a consultant, I work with whatever technology is required, but typically it's on an Oracle setup.

The initial setup is extremely simple. If you know in advance what you intend to set up, it takes less than five minutes before you're actually running or creating tables and placing data. It's very quick. We do the setup ourselves, specify capacity, username, password and then it should be up and running in a matter of minutes.

It doesn't require any maintenance on our part, that's all controlled by Oracle. The patching is done automatically, typically with zero outage and there's no performance tuning really, because it does the majority of it itself. Internally, we'd have a couple of hundred people dealing with the product at any one time.

Licensing costs are typically arranged by Oracle CPU. You pay for the access and then you can scale. If you have a fairly intensive database activity, you'd scale up by CPU, and you're paying by the CPU and the uptime. So there's a marginal uptime cost. If your operations are only running 12 hours a day, you can put your database offline after that and reduce costs. If you had multiple databases supporting the same environment, let's say a development, a test, and a production, you could just turn off the development and the test when you're not fixing anything or developing, and that would reduce your costs. There is also a free version of ADW that can be accessed if you create a cloud account. I think it allows for 20MB of space that is free.

What other advice do I have?

It's worth looking at what Oracle has available because their ETL tool, for example, which is called ODI, Oracle Data Integration, is free if the target of the platform is Oracle ADW. So you can build an entire ETL or ODI process on a very capable tool and not have to pay for that tool if the target is an ADW database.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Private Cloud

Web Developer at NuBean
    Integrates well with other cloud services, provides great ROI and guarantees 99.995% up-time
    • "The solution is self-securing. All data is encrypted and security updates and patches are applied automatically both periodically and off-cycle."
    • "The solution could be improved by allowing for migration tools from other cloud services, including migration from Amazon Redshift, RDS, and Aurora."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for many things, including:

How has it helped my organization?

No database installation, configuration, or maintenance is needed.

The autonomous database provides several benefits and unmatched performance. It is self-driving, self-securing, and self-repairing.

Self-driving implies that all routine administration tasks including provisioning, performing backups and recovery, making fault-tolerant fail-overs, applying patches, performing upgrades, optimizing and tuning for performance, and scaling are all fully automated.

Self-securing implies that all data is encrypted and security updates and patches are applied automatically both periodically and off-cycle. The option for encryption keys to be managed by a user is provided.

Self-repairing implies that the database detects and recovers from failure of any sort, such as a single node failure, without user intervention.

What is most valuable?

The product is available on Oracle Cloud.

It guarantees 99.995% up-time.

There is no installation, configuration, or maintenance needed.

It integrates easily with other cloud services.

The product is self-driving. All routine administration tasks including provisioning, performing backups and recovery, making fault-tolerant fail-overs, applying patches, performing upgrades, optimizing and tuning for performance, and scaling are all fully automated.

What needs improvement?

The service could be improved by:

• Providing Access to SYS schema
    • Allowing access to SYSTEM schema
    • Provisioning to apply user patches, and not just automated patches
    • Having provisions to administer the database by a DBA as an add-on to autonomous management
    • Getting provisions for fine-grained configuration
    • Allowing for migration tools from other cloud services, including migration from Amazon Redshift, RDS, and Aurora
    • Data Pump integration
    • Simplified Integration with other Oracle cloud services such as the Autonomous Container Database
    • Simplified migration from a local database

I've used the solution for more than three years.

The product is highly stable. Oracle Autonomous Database is a next-generation, first-of-a-kind, revolutionary, mission-critical data management in the cloud service. The autonomous database eliminates the need for data management by a database administrator (DBA) which is error-prone.

Stability implies that the database is reliable with guaranteed 99.9% Availability. The database recovers from failures automatically.

The solution has automated scaling based on need and usage.

The product offers excellent support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We previously used AWS RDS and switched to Oracle Autonomous Database due to its ease of provisioning and access.

No setup is required as the service is fully automated, and runs on Oracle Cloud. Only an account registration is needed.

We did not use a third-party vendor.

We've seen an ROI of +90%.

Setup cost is not an issue as the service is on Oracle's Cloud. The Oracle Cloud Free Tier is an always free cloud service, with limited resource capacity.

We evaluated Amazon RDS and Amazon EC2.

Other
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Head of Data and Analytics at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Good integration with decent stability, but has a complex setup
    • "The solution integrates well with Power BI."
    • "The initial setup was pretty complex. It was not easy."

What is our primary use case?

We used to report all reports from Oracle. We centralized all the connections in the data warehouse, and we have a business intelligence team that makes all the reports for the company. The database connects with Power BI to show the dashboard to the management team.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrates well with Power BI.

While I'm not on the technical side and instead manage the team, I haven't heard of any complaints related to the user interface, configuration, or customization.

The product, overall, seems to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

We are thinking of changing to a data warehouse on the cloud. I don't know if Oracle is in the cloud as well or if we will turn to another solution such as Google Cloud.

The initial setup was pretty complex. It was not easy.

It would be ideal if the company could manage semi-structured data such as JSON. Some other data warehouses can handle that. However, Oracle doesn't seem to be able to.

I'm new to the company. The solution is also new and was installed in October 2020.

The solution is quite stable. Once you have configured and set it up it's a very stable solution. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It offers reliable performance.

I'm not sure how scalable the solution is in the current format we have. Due to the fact that it's an on-premise solution, we have some constraints with the scalability. A cloud solution would be more scalable.

Currently, we have 50 users engaged with the solution.

Technical support is likely fine. I've never heard of any complaints about their level of service. I have never dealt with them personally, however. I can't directly speak to any personal experiences. I don't know if they are knowledgeable or responsive.

I'm new in the company. I know this solution is new as well. It is the new direction the company is trying. We installed the solution in October. However, before that, it is my understanding that we had Oracle also, although it was an older version. I am not aware of the company using a different solution.

The initial setup was now straightforward or easy. It was rather complex. A company needs to be prepared for that when they implement it.

I don't handle the billing or licensing aspect of the solution. I don't have any insights into the cost of the product or how many licenses the company holds.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of Oracle. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'm not sure of which version we are using. I don't know the version number off-hand.

In general, I would rate the solution seven out of ten. It's okay, however, the company has shown interest in moving away from on-premises in favor of some type of cloud solution.

Syed Jaffar Hussain
    CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs
    • "It provides Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities by default to address data security issues."
    • "One of the major problem is creating custom tablespace. The ADB serverless option doesn't support custom tablespace creation, which could cause issues during on-premise database migration that requires specifically named tablespace. There should be an option to create customized tablespace."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle offers this solution as Platform as a service (PaaS). The serverless option provides cost optimization to the organization where they can save huge amounts of money, but not require a highly skilled DBA to manage the database.

Oracle controls the entire service, where a customer is only responsible for managing data. All other things are managed and maintained by Oracle. There is no billing when the service is stopped.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution really helps to test our new applications, do modifications and updates with minimal costs and no HW requirements. Autonomous Database (ADB) provides a highly scalable, secured platform. With Exadata on the back-end, we can achieve higher performance, durability, and data security. You can switch off and on the service to avoid excessive cost/charges. It can be easily accessed remotely. Besides, Oracle has a new DC in our region which greatly resolves DB security and other local governance body issues.

What is most valuable?

ADB runs on Exadata technology, which is the proven industry best solution for any kind of workloads. Besides, ADB provides complete automated features, such as, self patching, upgrade, tuning, automated indexing, and automated backups. Also, recovery of the database is easy.

The entire host and DB software maintenance is done by Oracle and automated. Also, it provides Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities by default to address data security issues. In addition, the connectivity is highly secured.

What needs improvement?

An ADB serverless service provides no control over storage, host, and facilities. One of the major problem is creating custom tablespace. The ADB serverless option doesn't support custom tablespace creation, which could cause issues during on-premise database migration that requires specifically named tablespace. There should be an option to create customized tablespace.

There are many data types and parameters which are not supported. That should be improved a bit so many customers can adopt.

Over six months now.

With different layers of protection, it is highly stable. Besides, you can choose to have a replica at another region or domain.

Considering Oracle Cloud setups, it is highly scalable.

Oracle is responsive towards cloud problems.

We were using on-premises databases for testing new application functionality. This was causing a lot of cost to the organization.

With pre-DBA knowledge, it is simple, straightforward procedure.

In-house team.

High.

We discussed other cloud solutions, but the Oracle offering was cost optimized.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it for companies who want to test their application functionality, dev, or test DBs for cost optimization.

With existing DBA knowledge, it is easy to manage and migrate a database to ADB.

Other
    Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Notable performance and scalability, priced reasonably, and you only pay for services that you use
    • "The performance and scalability are awesome."
    • "It is very important the integration with other platforms be made to be as easy as it is with an on-premises deployment."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for bigger projects that involve a large number of transactions. For companies with these requirements, it is perfect.

At this point, we don't have any customers on this platform because, unfortunately, in our country, we are still lagging behind when we talk about the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The performance and scalability are awesome.

I think that is the best solution for big data warehouses. Larger companies need this kind of solution. Since it is autonomous, you don't have to worry about things like database administration.

The only thing that you have to be concerned with is the data modeling, and how you want the data, or your client's data, to be presented. Since the data warehousing task is quite big, it will give you more time to decide on how you want the data to be presented.

What needs improvement?

It is very important the integration with other platforms be made to be as easy as it is with an on-premises deployment. On-premises,  you can integrate with different vendors such as Microsoft. There should be flexibility in terms of how you can accomplish things and not just with a single vendor, but with all vendors.

I have been using the Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse for the past month.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

There is no installation for this cloud-based system.

You pay as you go, and you don't pay for services that you don't use. If you feel that you need additional resources then you can increase them and pay only for them. There is no need to worry about paying for something that you don't use.

Licensing depends also on how you want to store your data. For example, some clients use a hybrid approach, where some data is stored on the cloud and other data is stored on-premises.

Overall, I think that the price is quite cheap, and they gave me a $300 credit.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am quite happy with this product. I recommend it to my customers and I will continue recommending it to others.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Jurij Visnar
    IT Administrator at Unior d.d.
    Stable, with good analytics, but needs to offer support for the R language
    • "The analytics have been very good. We've found them to be quite useful."
    • "Sometimes the solution works differently between the cloud and on-premises. It needs to be more consistent and predictable."

What is our primary use case?

We're currently using the solution to move data from legacy systems to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The analytics have been very good. We've found them to be quite useful.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer support for the R language. It doesn't exist and it really is something they should have.

There isn't support for data migrations. It would be helpful to have more documentation or information about this process. It's not easy for us to find online or on their website.

We have only been using the solution for about a year on a few projects that we are currently running.

We haven't found any issues with stability. There might have been two or three small issues around having the database inaccessible occasionally, but other than that, it's good. We haven't faced any bugs or crashes.

The scalability is okay.

We are planning to have 50-60 users on the solution once we've finished the projects we are working on. Right now, it's a work in progress.

We've had to contact technical support in the past for a few issues. However, our partner contacted them and dealt with the problems, so I haven't had any direct contact myself. I wouldn't be able to rate their service or give any insight into it.

The initial setup was handled by our partner. We didn't handle it. I wouldn't be able to speak about if it was complex or straightforward as I wasn't personally involved.

We had a partner handle our setup for us.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if I'm capable of giving advice to anyone as it's a solution that's so new to us still.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Product Categories
    Cloud Data Warehouse
    Download our free Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.