NETSCOUT vSTREAM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is NETSCOUT vSTREAM?

The vSTREAM virtual appliance complements existing Adaptive Session Intelligence (ASI)-based instrumentation to provide the same level of visibility within virtualized and cloud infrastructures that is already possible in physical environments. The vSTREAM virtual appliance is ideal for monitoring service-critical traffic running within virtualized or cloud infrastructures, either locally on a host or as an aggregation point for multiple hosts. With complete visibility across physical, virtual and cloud networks, the vSTREAM virtual appliance presents real-time views of end-to-end call trace data and network-wide KPIs, to protect the reliability and availability of networks and application services.

NETSCOUT vSTREAM was previously known as vSTREAM.

NETSCOUT vSTREAM Customers

Metropolitan Police Agency, Banpara, PropertyRoom.com

NETSCOUT vSTREAM Video

Archived NETSCOUT vSTREAM Reviews (more than two years old)

Network Engineer at Inniti Network Solution
A user-friendly solution that is easy to install and improves visibility
  • "vSTREAM gives us better visibility and reporting about our network infrastructure, allowing for cost-optimization."
  • "I would like to see improvements made to the user guide."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

It is used for managing traffic that is coming in and our of virtual environments like VMware. We can data mine all of the traffic from the cloud as if it were an on-premises server.

How has it helped my organization?

vSTREAM gives us better visibility and reporting about our network infrastructure, allowing for cost-optimization. It shows us where we are losing money with respect to infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ASI, which gives us visibility at the nanosecond level.

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements made to the user guide. From my personal experience, it is helpful to see a list of steps describing what to do next in different situations. An example is what to do and what to back up in the case of certain types of failure. There are also cases where a customer can't understand specific features. Enhancements to the user guide would be helpful for this.

More features for network fragmentation would be helpful.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about NETSCOUT, VMware, Microsoft and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with NETSCOUT vSTREAM for the past year.

This is a stable product.

I would say that this is not a scalable solution.

Our client has between 1,000 and 2,000 employees on their network.

The technical support is very good and they are responsive, although they need to add more phone lines to India or the Pacific region. Really, they need more engineers in support because when you call, it takes between 45 minutes and an hour to connect with an engineer.

The initial setup is very easy.

vSTREAM is connected to our virtual environment using the MAC addresses of the hardware.

it_user931977 - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good stability, easy to deploy
    • "I would like for it to have a smaller footprint of the virtual appliance and better performance."

What is most valuable?

The generation of KPI-like information that feeds to the nGeniusONE (management) server is the most valuable feature. The vSTREAM itself isn't the only tool you would need, you also need management software.

What needs improvement?

None.

I have been using vSTREAM since before it was called something else.

The stability is good.

It is scalable.

Their technical support is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

vSTREAM is used to get information out of a virtual environment. A lot of the time with these types of products, the monitoring layer implementation lags behind in projects. Customers should take monitoring into account in the project planning and budgeting from the start not just at the end of the project.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. There is always room for improvement.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: VAR
    November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Reseller
    Troubleshooting at the packet level helps us resolve issues more quickly
    • "One of the valuable features is the packet decoding."
    • "Room for improvement exists in filtering in the packet decode."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for NETSCOUT is troubleshooting at the packet level. We are a reseller, so we see every use case.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provides increased visibility during an IT deployment. It enables us to troubleshoot a service when it is down.

As we expand our company, more users are using the tool to quickly resolve issues. It helps us and them get to root cause quickly. For example, last week a DNS was not running anymore. We checked the packet and saw that there was a buffer overload. It has cut our overall troubleshooting time. Sometimes it took a month to troubleshoot something that we can now do within days.

nGenius has helped increase application or network uptime. The DNS I mentioned is now a better server with more capacity than before, because of our troubleshooting.

We see a measurable decrease in mean time to know and mean time to repair. We see that when our customers are using this tool, their stability on the link is getting better and better, every time they use it.

Also, we use the solution for unified communication application performance and it helps with uptime and end-user experience. Sometimes the quality of voice calls is not good enough, so we use the Media Monitor to check the quality in real-time.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is the packet decoding.

Also, the single pane of glass view is really good. Because I open the monitoring, the http monitoring, for example, and then I go to the session and then to the packets, I only use a single view.

We use the dashboard to help us with proactive monitoring of SaaS applications and remote sites, to see if problems are going to happen.

What needs improvement?

In terms of additional features, I would like to see Diameter fragmentation and IPSec decoding.

Room for improvement exists in filtering in the packet decode.

The stability is okay, but sometimes we see that the memory on the server is not 100 percent correct and we need to stop and start the software to have it reallocated again.

The scalability is okay because we can deploy more vSTREAMs in the solution on a regular basis. When we deploy a new vSTREAM, we connect it, and we have a new link in a matter of days.

Technical support is okay. On occasion, it can take a long time for an issue to go through to the engineering level. But we use our SE to escalate it more quickly.

The initial setup is straightforward. We do the deployments almost every week for another customer. For us, it's in our hands, in our fingers.

Licensing is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

As a reseller, can troubleshoot for customers with NETSCOUT, as an audit.

We are doing capacity planning with the probes, and if we see that probe interface is running too high, has too much load, we sell a new InfiniStream to the customer and we load-balance the link between the InfiniStreams.

Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about NETSCOUT, VMware, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: November 2022