Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

NetFort LANGuardian OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is NetFort LANGuardian?
NetFort LANGuardian is deep packet inspection software for investigating, monitoring, and reporting on network and user activity. It is a passive network traffic analyzer, not inline and cannot have an impact on network performance. Gain layer 7 visibility without the need for expensive appliances.

NetFort LANGuardian was previously known as LANGuardian.

NetFort LANGuardian Customers
City of Armadale, NCG Group, King Faisal Hospital
NetFort LANGuardian Video

Archived NetFort LANGuardian Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user172854 - PeerSpot reviewer
Research Special Projects Lead at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Cost effective but when we originally purchased LANGuardian, some features needed further development.

What is most valuable?

The ability to detect and decipher torrent traffic for the purpose of identifying what some refer to as "copyright violators".

How has it helped my organization?

Our CIO asked us to track down the source of undesired uploads, which trigger e-mails received by outside bodies regarding what they refer to as "copyright violations", and Languardian was the most efficient and effective tool for the job.

What needs improvement?

Sure, at the time we bought the product, the GUI and graphs/reports/pie charts etc ... were not fully developed.

2.5 years

Network Monitoring Software
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Rapid7, Paessler AG, NETSCOUT and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: September 2022.
636,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Minor, mainly due to the dynamic nature of the protocol, but that was nothing the support was not able to promptly address.

Minor, related to the underlying Unix operating system, which the developers addressed as well.

None encountered.

Excellent.

Excellent.

We did attempt to do the job using a DPI engine, but the product failed to deliver our requirements.

It was a very simple set-up.

It was done in-house.

Since it was used as a forensic rather than profit generating, what I can say is that it is very cost effective.

Nothing more than the usual power/cooling/space required by a 2U server.

For the sake of confidentiality I can not disclose the name of other products, except, as mentioned above, that we attempted to use a DPI engine previously.

What other advice do I have?

Don't bother spending time stitching your own solution, because you will find that to be more expensive that this cost effective solution.

it_user149688 - PeerSpot reviewer
Computer Network Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us detect security threats although it does takes a long time to load results.

What is most valuable?

Provides a detailed view of internet bandwidth consumption.

How has it helped my organization?

We can track users who misuse internet usage, it helps us detect security threats and more.

What needs improvement?

It takes a long time to load results. I think it would be great if they fix the slowness issue in the next release.

We've been using this product for more than 3 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: ExcellentTechnical Support: Excellent

We have the proxy server from BlueCoat, but we couldn't track the users who are not joined to the domain.

It was simple and easy.

We installed the product by ourself with the support from Netfort team.

I don't have a number, but it is very useful for us.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a solid solution that can be easily deployed then I'd recommend considering Netfort solutions.