IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NetBrain OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetBrain is #6 ranked solution in top Network Automation tools and #8 ranked solution in top Network Troubleshooting tools. PeerSpot users give NetBrain an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. NetBrain is most commonly compared to Cisco DNA Center: NetBrain vs Cisco DNA Center. NetBrain is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
NetBrain Buyer's Guide

Download the NetBrain Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is NetBrain?

Managing today’s networks with yesterday’s manual processes is no longer a viable solution. NetBrain’s network automation platform provides actionable insights into your network to help you make better and faster decisions - particularly when you’re troubleshooting, securing, and making changes to the network.

NetBrain Customers

CompuCon, TD Ameritrade, Move Inc.

NetBrain Video

Archived NetBrain Reviews (more than two years old)

Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
A solution with an user-friendly interface that's simple to scale with good technical support
  • "Chain management is a good feature. I don't get it on other solutions."
  • "It would be nice if the setup was a little simpler. Also, if the solution could provide more training materials for new people coming into our company so they can quickly learn how to use the functionalities."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is that you can click once and have a link test. I can see my network. It gives me an overall view of my network and the state of how it is.

Chain management is a good feature. I don't get it on other solutions.

The interface is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs to be improved.

It would be nice if the setup was a little simpler. Also, if the solution could provide more training materials for new people coming into our company so they can quickly learn how to use the functionalities.

I've been using the solution for three or four years.

The solution is stable.

NetBrain
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about NetBrain. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very simple to scale.

We're very satisfied with technical support. It's really good. It's fast and it's really helpful.

The initial setup was a little but complex.

We had a consultant assist us with the implementation. They helped a lot.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment solution.

I would recommend it. Although it's expensive, it's worth the money. Compared with other solutions, they're the way to go. They're bigger and probably better.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Rob Masten - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Architect at ZAG Technical Services
MSP
A time-saving, portable network analysis and mapping tool that does the job you expect it to
  • "A reliable, time-saving tool for providing accurate layer 2 and layer 3 network mappings."
  • "Support needs to improve for the installed product and some of the reporting could be more flexible to provide more complete cataloging."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is providing services for layer 2 and layer 3 network mapping. We go into companies that have engaged us for some type of network product in the collation and we map out the network to do analysis. Because we are mostly using the product for the mapping feature, we have the Consultant Edition of the program which is portable and fits our needs perfectly for servicing clients.

How has it helped my organization?

We are managed-service providers, so we get engaged at a project level to make network changes on networks that we've never seen before. NetBrain provides us an overview and background on the network as it currently stands so that I can do a security analysis and move the project forward using an accurate picture of the network. It eliminates the possibilities that the picture will be inaccurate and saves time.

The enterprise edition NetBrain is fine. It's gotten a little more complicated in the last few years to use, but I've never had a problem with either version actually not performing its job.

What is most valuable?

The mapping is the most valuable feature for my usage. It saves me time because I don't have to walk the network by hand and figure out the relationship between switches and routers on the network. It automatically creates a map for me. The time savings lets me put my energies toward creating the solution rather than doing the footwork.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved with easier, better cataloging of the license within a network. Right now it seems a little cumbersome to actually be able to see just a lifting of the devices that are discovered or devices that weren't discovered and why. Better cataloging would resolve that issue.

The Consultant Edition just runs as an EXE so there aren't any stability issues. The opportunity I had to used the installed version the product just seemed to do what it was expected to do. There were a few minor glitches, but I can't really blame the product for lack of stability.

The installed or enterprise version scaled pretty nicely. The Consulting Edition, I'm not sure. The licensing seems a little expensive, so sending out multiple systems for utilization seems problematic.

We haven't had to use technical support recently as there's really no need for it. When I used the installed product before, I wasn't very satisfied with the support. We had a few one-off problems with the server installation, and it seemed to take an excessively long amount of time — in my opinion — for somebody to come back with an answer for me when I had issues.

We didn't actually have a solution and it seemed obvious that getting one would save time and effort. I used the full version of the product probably three or four years before we adopted it in a six-month proof of concept. At that time the full version was easier to use and friendlier. The full server version has gotten quite a bit more complex. We're using the Consultant Edition now, so there were some learning curves. But previous experience with the product was the reason for its adoption.

As far as the initial setup, there really isn't any for the Consulting Edition. It is just an EXE that you have a license for and you run it on a network to do the mapping. The server edition is a little more complex and we actually used NetBrain system engineers to help us with the installation. I can't really speak to doing the installation on my own.

Again, the Consultant Edition is just an EXE that you run. No installation really occurs. The installed version might require assistance but that isn't the version we use.

We have not yet seen a return on investment, but we expect that to come. We do security assessments for companies and this solution will help us deliver our product. We put together a pretty decent product for our clients and the investment in NetBrain should help us make it that more attractive and effective, and in turn enhance our business.

I remember the product being a lot less expensive several years ago when I first evaluated it. The pricing was based on a cost per number of devices. I want to say it was a lot cheaper then it is now. The Consultant Edition, which I originally thought would be more reasonable, quickly became a larger bundle than I expected and more expensive than I thought.

Technically we didn't really bother to evaluate other options when it came time for adoption. We needed a network mapping solution and I had used this solution previously. We went with the Consultant Edition because it made sense and fit our need. The reason I used it initially was, again, proof of concept in which we did a comparison between several different providers specifically to evaluate mapping software. Essentially I'd already done the evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

I would give NetBrain Technologies an eight or seven-and-a-half to eight out of ten. Support can improve response time. Sales engineers will buy their product with a few enhancements. It would help to improve the pricing and make the interface prettier. Right now, it's difficult to use from an engineering standpoint. I'd like to see become a little easier for a nontechnical person to use.  For example, I'd like to be able to send someone to a client who is not an architect — maybe send a helpdesk guy — and tell him to run the executable to gather up the mapping. I would be able to look at the results later and be more efficient.

Other advice to users considering the solution would be: go with NetBrain. It works. It may be expensive, but it's worth it. SolarWinds is a lot more expensive and doesn't do nearly as good a job as NetBrain.

NetBrain will give you the layer 3 and layer 2 network maps. One of the features that I like, but I haven't yet retested in the Consultant Edition, is that within two clicks you can get a fully formatted report of the hardware firmware in a site or company. SolarWinds, by comparison, is a bit of a pain to use for that type of extraction.

NetBrain
July 2022
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user319437 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Network Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Crowd-sourced network documentation is a huge time-saver. It’s only as accurate as the devices it can reach.

What is most valuable?

• On-Demand
  • Full-map
  • L2 troubleshooting

They will show more errors than you think! Fix them as you find them and the network gremlins just go away.

On-Demand Mapping of what’s actually configured vs. what the network architect intended at build is incredibly valuable. Things change over time. Subtle changes can be significant.

Crowd-sourced network documentation is a huge time-saver. It’s incredibly simple and level-sets your documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

When a trouble ticket comes in, for source and destination protocol, we can map out the environment, and at a glance see if there’s lower layer issues (CRC’s, negotiation, etc.), check routes, and see if there were any changes in minutes. This is an incredible time saver.

Having engineers update their documentation as they work on projects, on-call engineers can instantly see what’s actually there at a moment’s notice. This has greatly reduced our MTTI and MTTR scoring. Having the updated documentation means every engineer can pull up what’s really there, what’s changed and what’s broken in seconds, this is versus having every engineer with varied backgrounds manually tracing paths and figuring out whatever they stumble across.

What needs improvement?

Netbrain must get AWS functionality done.

They need much greater wireless, specifically wireless controller comprehension. Autonomous AP’s provide little value.

More than two years.

None. Build it right from the beginning.

None. Build it right from the beginning.

An eight out of 10. Fairly responsive.

Manual and SolarWinds. NetBrain is faster, better and level sets the engineering technical sets.

A lot of firewall manipulation, but nothing different than any other tool requiring SSH access.

Autonomous wireless access points count in the licensing, and we haven’t found much value in that.

SolarWinds, Visio, Lucidchart, and Whatsup Gold.

What other advice do I have?

I love the product! Network documentation is something every engineer is supposed to do, but few do well. It’s time-consuming, tedious, and most of the time is out of date as soon as it’s completed. NetBrain is an incredible tool.

Though, it’s only as accurate as the devices it can reach. It’s only as good as the engineers updating it. Figure out your documentation hierarchy first. Have your engineers update what they know.

Foster a sense of crowd-sourcing your documentation from the beginning.

Having someone who understands some base technical scripting would be valuable. There is tremendous capability with the qApp functionality.

Download our free NetBrain Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022