MOVEit OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MOVEit is the #6 ranked solution in top Managed File Transfer (MFT) tools. PeerSpot users give MOVEit an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. MOVEit is most commonly compared to AWS Transfer for SFTP: MOVEit vs AWS Transfer for SFTP. MOVEit is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 16% of all views.
MOVEit Buyer's Guide

Download the MOVEit Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is MOVEit?
Ipswitch Managed File Transfer is an automated file transfer system to manage, view, and control all file transfer services. You will always know where your files are with predictable and secure delivery, extensive reporting, and easy integration with existing systems.

MOVEit was previously known as Ipswitch File Transfer, Ipswitch Managed File Transfer.

MOVEit Customers
Cambridgeshire County Council, Capita Document & Information Services, Enterasys, City of Guelph, Hermes
MOVEit Video

MOVEit Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MOVEit pricing:
  • "When compared to other products I've used, I believe MoveIt is worth the money someone might pay to use it."
  • "I haven't really priced out many other products like this, but I feel it's reasonable. Their upgrade support after hours was going to be $6,000. I just made the decision to wing it and just do it during business hours and call support if there was a problem."
  • "Technical support is only available with a paid license."
  • MOVEit Reviews

Gijish Vikraman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Consulting Integration Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides the ability to securely transfer very large files and has great logging capability
    • "I admire its ability to transfer really large files. One of the files that we transferred was 70 gigs. We didn't try anything larger than that, but so far, whenever somebody came to us to process a really large file, we were able to do it successfully. It can handle large files. That is one thing that I like about Automation."
    • "We have had some challenges. Earlier when we were setting it up, a component called gateway, which runs in the DMV, was not working as expected. It was going down very often. That means most of our vendors were not able to connect using SFTP because that service was down. We had to put in a lot of monitoring to make sure if that goes down, there is some visibility instantaneously so that our system admins can go and do a restart."

What is our primary use case?

We are using both MOVEit Transfer and MOVEit Automation, and we mainly have two use cases.

In the first use case, MOVEit Transfer is being used as an SFTP location or SFTP server, and it is also being used for doing ad hoc large file transfers. The second use case is for automation where we get files loaded to MOVEit Transfer, and from there, it goes to our internal systems and vice versa.

How has it helped my organization?

We can do systemic file exchanges by using the SFTP accounts that we create in MOVEit Transfer, and if somebody doesn't want to automate and just wants to randomly send a file to someone outside the organization, we use the ad hoc file transfer functionality. It helps us to send large files, which we can't exchange through email because of size limitations, in a secure way.

We can even request a package, which helps us during acquisitions. When we have not yet contracted with a third party or whoever we're going to acquire or deal with, but we want to securely transmit a large file, the ad hoc transfer comes in fairly handy. Once we complete the merger or acquisition, at that point, we have their IDs created. So, we create SFTP accounts. This transfer is exposed to the internet from our end. It is secure, but at the same time, it is pretty reachable, which allows us to quickly exchange files with anybody.

When we have some in-house data that we want to share with third parties in an automated fashion, we use MOVEit Automation to move data. We pretty much leverage all the connectors. It supports Azure Blob, AWS, etc. We don't use it for AWS S3, but we use Azure Blob. For Azure Blob, earlier, we were using custom scripts within MOVEit Automation, and then they built all the capabilities. We are leveraging the connectors to easily connect with Azure, etc. It is widely used within our company, and it is helping us tremendously.

What is most valuable?

I admire its ability to transfer really large files. One of the files that we transferred was 70 gigs. We didn't try anything larger than that, but so far, whenever somebody came to us to process a really large file, we were able to do it successfully. It can handle large files. That is one thing that I like about Automation.

I really like the logging capability of MOVEit Transfer. Earlier, we had a Linux-based FTP server, but the challenge was that we never knew when somebody dropped a file. We didn't have that auditing and logging. We were sending files to our vendors, and their systems were picking them up, but they would say, "We didn't get the file." We didn't have good logging and tracing capability to prove that we delivered the files. MOVEit has good logging where it shows the service account and IP address. If a file is downloaded multiple times, it shows all the entries. You can go to each one and find out who downloaded it or which system account was used to download it and how many times it was downloaded. That is pretty powerful.

What needs improvement?

In addition, because it is a Java product, there seems to be a memory leak that causes system slowness and unresponsiveness at times. We had to introduce a weekly restart to flush out some memory. The restart process is still going on because we know that without that, we can't have a responsive system. These are the two things for MOVEit Transfer.

Coming to MOVEit Automation, usually, when a file arrives, a job kicks in. We have jobs that look for a file, match the file, and move it to the destination. However, if a file doesn't come through at the expected time, such as on a Tuesday morning at 8:00 AM, because the job failed or somebody forgot to place that file, people want visibility into it. For this, currently, there are limited capabilities in MOVEit Automation. We can look for that error code, where it basically says that I didn't find any file to transfer. We are leveraging that capability and building some email system around it so that if that happens, we get to know, but when it comes to multiple jobs running on a particular day, such as on the 10th of every month, you get into complex scheduling. That's when this email system becomes ambiguous. Sometimes, it throws false alerts. MOVEit is not a notification system, but we expect more and better notifications. That would really add value.

I would like to see connectivity to Google Cloud. At some point, it will come. They have been creating connectors for more products. Earlier, they had only Azure, and then they added AWS. Google Cloud Platform connectors are not there yet. I would like to see that capability.

I would also like to see a capability where it can interact with message brokers. Currently, it can do file transfers, and it can do HTTP calls. That means you can invoke an API or download a file over HTTP or HTTPS protocol, but I would like to see it supporting the MQ protocol or AMQP. Those are some messaging protocols that will help it to become more feature-rich. We have some integrations where we have to connect to a queue, pull a message, and create a file. That capability is there in the IBM product, but I would like to see that capability built. If that capability comes to MOVEit, it would be fantastic.

MOVEit
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about MOVEit. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have probably been using it since early 2018. It has been about four years.

I find it stable.

We are not running that many nodes, but we keep adding a lot of jobs into the system. So far, it is scalable. We have not come to a point where we have to throw in a lot of hardware. The load that we have thrown into the system is pretty much running on the same setup that we did four years ago. The only thing we had to do was to add more storage. We use Transfer for transient storage, but because of the flexibility, people just drop files and forget to clean them up. As they put large files, we have to add more storage. That's the only thing we had to do.

For MOVEit Transfer, there are probably 300 users, and for MOVEit Automation, there are a very limited number of users. Only developers log in and code the automation task. About 10 people have access to the Automation piece because that's our both development and operations team strength. So, only our team has access, but MOVEit Transfer is exposed to several members, external parties, and internal parties. Anybody can request access and then log in. That means its user base is continuously increasing. Everybody here wants to use it for their use cases. It is one of the systems that is growing  day by day in terms of the user base.

I initially raised a few tickets about its capabilities, and our system engineers might have created a few tickets. They have a different login, and I have a different login. So, we are not able to holistically look at all the tickets, but I'm sure they have reached out to them. I have reached out to them, and the response is pretty good.

I'm not exposed to a lot of FTP tools, but before MOVEit, we used a few other integration tools from IBM middleware, such as IBM DataPower, but those tools cannot handle such a large file. This is something that I like about MOVEit Automation.

We were using a Linux-based SFTP server. It was just a Linux virtual machine, and it had a Linux SFTP process. Basically, we didn't have a tool. We just enabled an SFTP process or a lightweight server on a Linux machine. We had a Linux machine, but we could enable that on any machine. Once we enable it, we can just request other people to connect to it. That's what we were doing previously and then they replaced that with MOVEit.

I was not part of the infrastructure side, but it was not that hard. It is a pretty easy system to set up. We have a dedicated system engineering team, and they install this. What I know is that we were able to scan it up pretty fast, and it was a tool that we could easily learn and use. It is easy from that standpoint.

I am not very sure of its deployment duration. By the time I got exposed to it, the upfront work of installing it was already done. I got into it at a point where they told us that the system is here. We had a quick training session. It was just a half a day training session on how to use the tool, and that's it. So, I don't know how long they were planning this and how long it took to bring it online.

In terms of implementation, everything was done in-house.

For maintenance, we have two people. They are the primary contacts for it, but they're not dedicated full-time to MOVEit. Along with supporting MOVEit, they have a few other major systems. So, from a system engineering standpoint, there are only two people. They do patches and all that, but they are not constantly monitoring or working on the tool. Whenever we have any issues, they act on them. With a full-time role, one systems engineer should be good enough to support it.

We got our return on investment even in the first year. We had to use MOVEit because our Linux machine was on a different data center, and we needed something that is accessible over the internet by other parties. So, before MOVEit, we really didn't have anything. We couldn't have a server that is internal to our network but not accessible by others. We had to have a dedicated server. The primary server that was running in the data center was the Linux server. The moment we put MOVEit on and then decommissioned the Linux server, there itself, we had our return investment because we could then pretty much shut down that operation.

I'm not able to put a dollar value on it, but compared to the previous SFTP processes, MOVEit is a better tool. Partners are happy because they are now able to use a simplified UI. In cases where files are missing, it is very easy to look at the logs and help. It was very easy for us to show that the files were placed. Those capabilities bring good customer satisfaction and internal satisfaction as well.

I really like it. Obviously, there are some people who look for more capabilities, such as file missing notifications, and they want sophisticated notifications, but they don't know that it's really tough to build all those capabilities. Some people want to find a better tool that gives all that, but there is no tool that can give you everything. With what MOVEit does, we already have had a return on investment.

What other advice do I have?

There is nothing complex with MOVEit Transfer or MOVEit Automation. If you are looking at MOVEit Transfer, just request the users to not use it as permanent storage. They should use MOVEit SFTP only for transient storage. That means that if somebody drops a file, somebody else has to take it. Otherwise, the storage can add up because you are dealing with files.

When it comes to MOVEit Automation, you should build some patterns. If it is an external-to-internal transfer, then build a pattern. As part of the pattern, you can put alerts or whatever you want to code in generic logic. This way, when you have to build another process, you can just clone it and build it without doing it step by step. The problem with creating tasks from scratch is that you have too many things or configurations to do. MOVEit also gives you a capability where you can just take an existing one with all the logic, clone it, and then edit only the necessary information. That's what we do here. So, before you put your first automation job into MOVEit, make sure you do the upfront design or plan the generic template. It helps later on.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

DC Project Delivery Senior Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Good monitoring with a precise dashboard and good reliability
    • "Especially at the time of monitoring, it's a nice way to take a look at the script and take a look at run time, which gives enough information for the files that are getting picked or not."
    • "Since I have to monitor two times a day, it would be nice if they have script templates."

What is our primary use case?

It's been used for different purposes. I'm not sure if there's a desktop application. However, I'm using it on the cloud.

We are basically using VMware, the virtual machine, to get on the servers, and then we start with our work.

I've created different types of scripts in MOVEit. The files were specifically sent to a particular location, which we configure. We used the code, and we used to do the scripting part using MoveIt. The files are picked up and then delivered to a specific location whether any conversion is necessary or not.

We are just building the scripts and maybe assigning a schedule to the scripts, like when the script should run, what time of the day and how many times, et cetera. That's the kind of work I have done.

I am also doing the monitoring. I'm just monitoring the scripts using MOVEit, inside MOVEit, just to make sure we see if any file activities or any actual files are picked up or not.

What is most valuable?

Especially at the time of monitoring, it's a nice way to take a look at the script and take a look at run time, which gives enough information for the files that are getting picked or not. In that way, it helps me during the monitoring process, so I can categorize the scripts that are actively running or not running. That is one thing I really like about MOVEit.

The solution is stable.

The dashboard is very precise.

What needs improvement?

I'm not really sure what can be improved at this time. With the kind of work I'm doing, I'm able to achieve it. I'm able to achieve my goals using MOVEit. Whether someone else would like its capabilities totally depends on an individual's perspective towards using the software or the admin tool. Some people like to do free text coding or develop scripts using a free text application.

I don't know about MOVEit, or how the server is set up, however, a lot of times, it used to go down, and I couldn't get onto the servers. I don't know if it's an internal thing or it's MOVEit servers. For example, if I'm developing a script and the scripts are really huge, it's too much to code, so sometimes, when you're in the middle of creating the script, it just goes down. When that happens, I have to wait for an hour. I'm not blaming MOVEit for this. I'm just not sure where the root cause is coming from. That is one thing I've experienced that can be a little frustrating for some users.

For example, if I have 20 tasks and 20 scripts that I have to monitor every day, creating a template for the scripts would save time. I know there are templates for developing the scripts. However, I'm not sure if there are templates for monitoring the scripts.

That way, I would not have to keep track of it and manually go and copy the script name, paste it into MOVEit and see the status.

I've been using the solution for almost a year now.

It is stable., although we've had challenges before. It goes down, and it could be anything, including maybe a VPN issue, or, since we are using this on the cloud, maybe the client system. That said, as far as I know, and I've built a lot of scripts as well, it's stable enough to deal with.

The solution is kind of scalable.

I'm not sure how many people are working on the product.

We have a separate team that is working on it. We have an offshore team and an onshore team working on MOVEit. It's maybe 20 people in total.

Whether or not we expand totally depends on the client's scope of work. This work is outsourced to us. We are just consultants. If there's any new project or if there's anything that needs to be done, including additional workflows for setup, we are happy to do that.

We don't really have contact with support.

We are not supposed to do this, however, whatever the client is doing something on our behalf, we cannot directly reach out. We have to reach out to the client for their network team or admin team to handle things.

I've worked in different healthcare applications, which are patient management systems. Those are the only applications and tools I've previously used.

I have this on a virtual machine where everything was set up for me, and everything was ready to go. I have to log in and start working. That's all. I haven't installed a MOVEit server on any system. All I have to do is get onto the web application and then log in and then hit the dashboard for MOVEit.

We've had some go live early, and it's quite challenging sometimes when any script is moved to a production environment. If it goes down over there, it's kind of hard to backtrack and do the whole thing again. You have to go through all the steps and life cycles to go live again. That was one thing that I heard. I haven't ever done it. However, I've only worked on the test environment.

I do monitoring and maintenance on shore, and we have a resource offshore as well.

When we create scripts in the test MOVEit, we have to replicate the whole setup in production. That was really challenging. Sometimes reaching out to appropriate resources to ensure that we have read and write access to the file path is important. In the MOVEit script, there's a file path where the files will be picked up from and dropped to. We have to ensure that we have enough access during the go-live, so the files are written and read from that particular file location. Sometimes identifying those resources was a little bit challenging, however, whether this is an internal process or a MOVEit process, I don't know.

I don't have any details surrounding ROI.

I'm not aware of the licensing costs. It might be somewhere in the middle in terms of pricing. I'd rate it three and a half out of five in terms of affordability. There might be installation costs and then the costs surrounding renewal on top of the actual price.

What other advice do I have?

We are consultants and end-users.

I would recommend MOVEit. It's a great integration tool, and I'm able to achieve whatever the requirements are. It's also secured since it's in a cloud environment, so there won't be any loss of information. Since this is file-based connectivity with the type of work I'm doing, it's well-secured around the workflow and everything, so there's hardly a transaction loss. For those dealing with healthcare data, like me, I would definitely recommend MOVEit.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    MOVEit
    November 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Janelle Willis - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Software Configuration Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    User-friendly, simple to install, quick to download, and move files
    • "The most valuable feature of MOVEit is the upload speed."
    • "It would be beneficial to include a feature that allows you to hide items and not be locked out if someone has made too many password attempts."

What is our primary use case?

We use MOVEit to upload our software for our clients to download.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of MOVEit is the upload speed.

It's simple to use in creating folders, and if I need to copy or move something, it's very quick.

It's fairly simple for me to place specific files in three or four different locations.

Whereas with my other tools, I had to go to separate locations to upload, with this, I can stay where I am and then copy over or move.

What needs improvement?

I know the only thing I don't know about MOVEit is that we don't use it to its full potential. My business unit, our business unit, is a small one. We only use it to upload software to clients both externally and internally so they can download it.

I am not familiar with many of the features it offers, and neither are many of the administrators. We were not really trained on it. We were given this tool and left to figure it out, and that is what we did.

I am not sure if there is a feature where you can hide the software instead of having to delete it, because sometimes I need to put out a release and if I want to do it the day before, I could hide it and then just flip a switch and turn it on. That's something I used to be able to do with my previous solution. That was the only thing I couldn't hide the software because I couldn't figure out how to and no one else could either.

I spoke with the two admins who were dealing with it, and they, too, couldn't figure out where to hide it.

If I put something out there and put it out there too soon and a client sees it, I have to quickly go in and delete it and then re-upload it instead of having a feature that lets me just check this box and hide it, that would be a good thing to have.

I have been working with MOVEit for approximately two or three years.

I have not had any issues with the stability of this solution.

I know that when my other and I used C3, it was either always down or finicky.

This one occasionally hangs, but it's a network issue. It usually responds quickly. If I am locked out, it is usually because another user attempted too many times and locked us out. But you wait 15 minutes.

That could be a feature that we need to figure out, where if one person has too many attempts others are locked out. That's another feature that is not good and needs improvement. It is possible that there are settings on the backend that I am not aware of because I don't deal with them on the server side.

For example, rather than having a password per user, it's a whole system and if somebody gets knocked out for entering the wrong password, everybody' gets locked out for the next 15 minutes.

We have our own separate passwords, but for some reason, if they try too many times the entire system is connected and it doesn't allow anyone to connect. Everyone is locked out for 15 minutes, or they will go in and reset it or reboot it.

It serves its purpose for what I use it for. I haven't used it for anything else.

I have heard it can be used for FTP, but I don't do much FTP. I suppose what I do is considered FTP, but I'm not sure if there are any other features or enhancements that it can do. I'm not sure. I do think it's a great product.

It's a great product for what it does. It's speedy and I haven't had any issues with it.

We have approximately 700 external users in our organization. I delegate authority to external clients. Then there are internal clients, as I work primarily in software management.

We have our document team who uploads the tech docs, and then I am not sure if it is used by business analysts or product managers, There or no developers who have access, or maybe one or two that I can recall.

I have never contacted technical support.

I used to use C3, which was a terrible product. It would take me 10 minutes to upload a fairly large file. MOVEit uploads a single file that used to take 15 minutes to upload in two minutes if that.

I enjoy the upload speed of MOVEit.

I didn't choose to use MOVEit. It was chosen for us by our company. I was kind of stuck with using it.

At first, I thought, this isn't going to be the best tool, but once I started using it and uploading, I was pleasantly surprised by the speed and other features.

The initial setup was straightforward. We were able to do it ourselves.

I thought it was. You go in and it's like a directory structure, just like a file structure, and you can add and delete folders once you add the folder, and then you can search on it. It's similar to Windows Explorer, but it's web-based.

It did not take long to deploy, only 15 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution over others that I would use.

We had a coworker to who I recommended it.

It's quite simple.

It's pretty self-explanatory once you have logged in.

Simply navigate to the files and folders and proceed from there.

There was a little tutorial they gave us that I shared with them. It was pretty simple. It was just a little training. I am not sure where it came from or who created it, but it was the basics.

Nobody here has said that it is overly complicated or that they can't figure it out on their own.

I've never had anyone who couldn't find their way or asked me to help them use it.

It's easy to navigate through. Try it out; it's pretty self-explanatory.

Now, C3, we had to have some training on because it was a little complicated, but this one, it's kind of self-explanatory because it looks like a file or a Windows Explorer. If you are an administrator, things are a little different.

I would rate MOVEit an eight out of ten. It's user-friendly, self-explanatory, and does exactly what we need it to.

I like the upload speed, which is exactly what I require, and everyone else does as well. And then there's the download speed. According to what I've heard, the clients are much happier than they were with the previous solution.

Ryan Keimig - PeerSpot reviewer
    RPA Developer / System Solutions Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Secure, easy to manage and use, and lets you create multiple environments
    • "From an administration standpoint, it's very easy to manage, and I feel pretty confident in the security of the product. From an end-user standpoint also, it's very easy."
    • "Something that I would like to see is better upgrade support. We had looked at getting help with an upgrade, and to do it after hours, it was going to be $6,000. It only takes 15 minutes to do. It'd be nice if the after-hour support was a little more reasonable."

What is our primary use case?

We are using MOVEit Transfer for sharing large files with customers or vendors.

What is most valuable?

There is a lot to like. From an administration standpoint, it's very easy to manage, and I feel pretty confident in the security of the product. From an end-user standpoint also, it's very easy. It's very flexible because people can log in via a web interface if they want to. If they have more of an automated approach, and if they want to send files back and forth, they can use FTPS or FTP. So, there are a lot of good options there.

What needs improvement?

The product itself is pretty solid. Something that I would like to see is better upgrade support. We had looked at getting help with an upgrade, and to do it after hours, it was going to be $6,000. It only takes 15 minutes to do. It'd be nice if the after-hour support was a little more reasonable.

We can set up multiple environments, but it would be nice to have one place to go to manage all the environments at once. If you're an administrator, you should be able to see all the users and have everything broken out. Currently, if I want to manage the secure file environment, I have to log in there with separate administrator credentials, which is a little bit cumbersome. There should be a dashboard to manage all environments at once. There is probably something like that, but you have to have a weird password, and it's just not easy to do.

I have been using MOVEit Transfer for about two years.

It is extremely stable.

I don't see any limits. We haven't hit any limits so far. It has been very scalable. The only limitation would be of the network connection when a customer with a slow internet connection is trying to download, for example, a 400 gig file, but that's not a limitation of the product.

We have about 50 users within our internal organization. Some users use it every day. We also have automated processes that pick up files or drop off files from a location as well.

You do have to have an account to contact support. They are pretty responsive and also extremely knowledgeable about their product. I feel that everyone I've talked to has been a subject matter expert. I've asked them questions about things that are probably out of their scope, and they've always been extremely helpful. I would rate them a five out of five. It is possibly the best support I've had.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

They're probably crushing it for an on-premise solution, and they're doing really well. I have used some other ones, such as Filescape, but they weren't nearly as good. For me, the main difference is just the ease of use. Everything is very easy from an administrative standpoint as well as for the end user. We've had very few end-user calls. We didn't have any issues with even external users having any problems or understanding how the product works. The reporting and logging are good and easy. It's very well thought out.

I wasn't here for the initial setup. It was already set up when I got here, but it seems straightforward because everything about the product is pretty straightforward.

In terms of maintenance, it doesn't really require much maintenance. Once you get everything configured, there are automatic cleanup tasks, and you have to do the upgrades at least once a year to stay up to date or more frequently if you want to avoid vulnerabilities.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it for sure. Something that people would want to be aware of is that you can set up multiple environments. You'd still have one URL that everyone would go to, but you can have multiple environments. You could have a secure file environment that's pretty much open to everyone, and then you could have an operations environment that's more secure and locked down by IP address. Be aware of that feature or functionality and how you would like to create a security strategy around that.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10. There's nothing I don't like about it.

Srujan Panuganti - PeerSpot reviewer
    Scientist - Instrument II at AbbVie
    Very flexible, great for modeling a new robot with a variety of great path planning algorithms
    • "Offers a large collection of very good path planning algorithms."
    • "It takes some time to learn and understand how the solution functions."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our motion planning for robots. The organizations that I work with are involved with robotic manipulators where the robot is required to follow a specific path of motion. We are customers of MOVEit.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a couple of nice features. Top of the list would be the huge collection of different path planning algorithms that are great and state of the art. If something isn't working very well, you can choose a different algorithm. Usually, robotic guidance takes a lot of time and effort to build, but MOVEit allows you the flexibility to switch between different algorithms and figure out which one works best for you. It's also easy to model a new robot. If a hobbyist has made a robot from scratch and wants to assimilate and see how it will perform, traditional modeling software like SolidWorks and others do not have a good path for planning algorithms supported by them. MOVEit is a very good tool for modeling a new robot from scratch.

What needs improvement?

Using MOVEit takes time to learn and to understand how it functions. I have a background in robotics, so I have some knowledge and hands-on use and training. Unless you have really good training and guidance, you won't be able to learn it. Even our lead software engineers who have years of experience and understand the architecture, find it very cumbersome to use. I think that's where there's a lot of scope for improvement. It could be more user-friendly.

I struggled in areas where I needed multiple robot path planning where multiple robots are involved. It's very, very hard for multiple robots to work and collaborate together. I would want to see more features and more advances in the area of multi-robot motion planning.

I've been using this solution for three years.

MOVEit is very stable compared to a lot of other ROS packages.

This is open-source software. The code and software are hosted on GitHub. If there is any problem with MOVEit, I can make a pull request on GitHub and whoever manages MOVEit generally replies within a day.

MOVEit needs to be used along with a framework called ROS, Robot Operating System. Understanding ROS is a must and deployment requires significant knowledge of that. Primarily, it's built for Linux, not for Windows or other operating systems so it requires someone who is good at using Linux, understands Linux distribution, and is able to install and set up an ROS. With all that, it's simple to implement MOVEit. With my experience, I can set it up on a computer in 20 minutes.

There are several other solutions also in this arena including Tesseract and tkArt.  Both those solutions are for motion planning. Tesseract has a more advanced algorithm in comparison to MOVEit and it has more features. However, it's a difficult product to understand and use, and they don't have good documentation. If you're looking for high-end advanced research purposes, Tessaract and MOVEit are both good, but I think MOVEit is the best of the three.

What other advice do I have?

If you're new to robotics, I would suggest evaluating whether your application needs MOVEit at all because of the very steep learning curve required to use it. If you decide to go ahead, start learning the basic building blocks of how ROS works and take a look at the MOVEit tutorial page. If a simple algorithm is required, I'd recommend writing your own.

There are no serious competitors and MOVEit has worked out well for me despite lacking some features so I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Joseph Orona - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Analyst of Data Integrity at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    A good file automation service with great additional features
    • "The renaming and timestamp features are great."
    • "Communication can be improved between the product owners and users."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is file automation. We receive many files and use MOVEit to automate how we receive them, where they go and how they appear at their destination. We maintain it on a server, creating Host connection points which can work with SFTP, Sharefiles, Azure, etc. It's currently deployed on-premise.

How has it helped my organization?

This automation service works very well in placing thousands of files each day in different locations where separate ETL pipelines or packages can begin.

What is most valuable?

The renaming and timestamp features are great and valuable, utilizing macros. Additionally, you can add encryption and decrypt files with encryption keys set up on MOVEit. Querying when and where file movement takes place adds an easy reference point when needed.

What needs improvement?

Communication can be improved between the product owners and users. For example, communicating patches or resolutions to known issues would be helpful if there's an issue with the software.

We have been using this solution for approximately two years and are currently using version 13.0.

The solution is stable unless a patch needs to be applied to the software. For example, an issue causes the program not to function as it usually would. However, the majority of the time, it's very stable.

The solution is scalable. We have expanded it as we have grown as a company and plan to expand this solution further as we continue to grow.

We have had a good experience with customer service and support. Their response time is pretty quick, and they stick with you until your issue is resolved.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on what the solution is used for. First, we tie it to an SQL Server database where we can render history and information about the file. For example, date/time logs, filename and size at source vs destination. Creating hosts as connections points. Encryption or custom scripts. Depending on how much information you want from the file transfer, you can make it as complex as you'd like.

Implementation took one day. Testing it, following up, and tweaking it took several days.

We have seen a return on investment. For example, if you receive 100,000 files a day, and need to move, track or view the history, MOVEit will save you a tremendous amount of time.

I cannot comment on pricing and licensing costs as I do not have this information.

Utkarsh Varma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Consultant- Manager at EXL Analytics
    A renowned market tool great for data analysis and renaming files
    • "The convenience of renaming files and using time stamps to segregate them has been very valuable."
    • "The initial setup is a bit difficult."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is data analysis for bank files. For example, when we receive a file from a bank in the production region, we don't touch the production because it is a live environment. We write a pull and push script in MOVEit and rename some files when we push the files from one server to another. Additionally, Windows Scheduler is integrated with MOVEit jobs. Once there is a signal in the Zena station, MOVEit is called, and the respective pull and push of script and the execution takes place there.

What is most valuable?

The ability to select and move a file at once is very valuable. Additionally, the convenience of renaming files and using time stamps to segregate them has been very valuable.

What needs improvement?

The front end of the MOVEit should have a utility where the user can check job failures that occur when integrating MOVEit with another tool, like the ASG-Zena workstation. There should be some utility where users can have a detailed view of the failed task that is not there at the moment. Additionally, the logs of particular tasks could be included in the next release.

We have been using this solution for approximately five years and are currently using version 3.4.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. Approximately 40 people use this solution in my organization.

We contacted support when we had a glitch with the system in the deployment phase and the support team reached out to us in a couple of days and resolved it.

The initial setup is a bit difficult because not all the users are techies aware of the setup of MOVEit. Since we have to create, segregate and integrate an environment for the MOVEit application, it is a bit complex. However, if a person is aware of that complexity, it'll be easy for them to work on it.

Implementation was done in-house and took approximately nine weeks.

The licensing fees are charged yearly.

We chose this solution because we needed a product to transfer files, and MOVEit is a file transfer protocol and one of the most renowned tools in the market. We decided to use it instead of other tools.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. The solution is good but can be improved by improving the integration tools available with the product.

VinothKumar7 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software Engineer at D2S Resources Sdn Bhd
    Powerful, user-friendly tool
    • "MOVEit's best features were the number of options available, like folder creation, and user-friendliness."
    • "At times, we had connection issues with MOVEit, and it had a tendency to reboot without any reason."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily used MOVEit to transfer files within the company and to third-party servers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There were some drawbacks with MOVEit's scheduling. In the next release, MOVEit should include the ability to check file availability.

I used MOVEit for four-and-a-half years.

At times, we had connection issues with MOVEit, and it had a tendency to reboot without any reason.

Technical support is only available with a paid license.

What other advice do I have?

MOVEit is a powerful tool, but it would be even better if it could enhance a few options. I would advise anybody thinking of implementing MOVEit to go through the options available and, before using it in production, test it within their non-production servers. I'd rate MOVEit nine out of ten.

Download our free MOVEit Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022
    Product Categories
    Managed File Transfer (MFT)