IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Azure Block Storage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Block Storage is #8 ranked solution in top Public Cloud Storage Services. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure Block Storage an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Block Storage is most commonly compared to Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store): Microsoft Azure Block Storage vs Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store). The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Microsoft Azure Block Storage?

Massively scalable cloud storage for your applications

Store and help protect your data. Get durable, highly available data storage across the globe and pay only for what you use.

Microsoft Azure Block Storage was previously known as MS Azure Block Storage.

Download the Public Cloud Storage Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Microsoft Azure Block Storage Customers

Mazda, BlinkBox, Rakuten Showtime, Xbox One, Serko, ChronoDrive

Microsoft Azure Block Storage Video

Microsoft Azure Block Storage Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Block Storage pricing:
"In terms of pricing, Azure is quite cheaper than AWS. However, I have recently read that Oracle Cloud Generation 2 storage is quite cheaper than Azure. I haven't used it yet. We need to look at a customer's requirements, and, based on that, we can suggest the storage. You can save at least 20% with Azure as compared to AWS, which is quite costly."

Microsoft Azure Block Storage Reviews

Sankarguru Thirgnanasambandam - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Architect - Technology Consulting at Ernst & Young
Straightforward to set up and reliable with good features on offer
  • "It can scale."
  • "The solution could use a couple of security features."

What is our primary use case?

We have a few clients that use the solution.  The use cases have been huge. One of the applications we are developing is an internal tax system. We tend to get a lot of client files through different channels and store them in the Block Storage. It's standing on a huge system. It's a multi-cluster, multi-AG kind of informer.

What is most valuable?

The features are pretty good. Our company mostly uses Java and Microsoft technology. We get good metadata and can save different metadata within the solution.   It can scale. It's at 99.99%. We can always use a different life cycle on objects so that means we don't want to store the object. On one side probably we can do cold storage and kind of thing.  Basically, there are a lot of features that are provided and we have a lot of options. The solution is stable.  We found the initial setup to be straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use a couple of security features. They still have a lot of other features and everything is coming along quite nicely now, however, I would expect more features in the near future. We'd like more policies and authentication.

We've used the solution for about five years or so.
Public Cloud Storage Services
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Google and others in Public Cloud Storage Services. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution definitely offers durability, and, stability-wise, we have no complaints. AWe tend to make a backup since it is working on the cluster side, so we do a backup every day. We are also able to access it at a global level. Speed-wise, I don't see any latency issues.

The solution can scale quite well. We have 100 clients using the solution. We have a big team in general.

We have a relationship with and are directly partnered with Microsoft. That means we have our own technical support directly from Microsoft. They are our dedicated architects. We have a data communication channel open, so we can talk to them anytime about anything. We're quite happy with the arrangement.

We have a lot of internal products. The development team has been using Azure Storage and Block Storage and Databricks and other products from Azure.

The initial setup is pretty simple. It's not overly difficult or too complex.

The solution is pay-as-you-go. We don't have any subscriptions; it is more like an on-demand arrangement.

What other advice do I have?

Our company has ties with Microsoft. We kind of partner with Microsoft so we always attempt to propose Azure Solutions, especially in the cloud. I would recommend the solution to others. I'd rate it nine out of ten.
Director - Infrastructure Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It provides easy versioning and great security
  • "It has easy versioning. The versioning is amenable to any changes. It also has great security. It can only be accessed through an API, and only the requested users can access it. It is optimized for data lakes and comprehensive data management."
  • "We need to do versioning each and every time, that is, check-in and check-out. If a person forgets to do that, then there could be an issue in the replacement of that particular object in the storage. It will be great if it can be automatically managed."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Azure Block Storage to accumulate and store all unstructured data, that is, different files such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, or any other streaming or video files. Whenever there is any unstructured data, you can use the Microsoft Azure Block Storage to deal with it.

What is most valuable?

It has easy versioning. The versioning is amenable to any changes.

What needs improvement?

We need to do versioning each and every time, that is, check-in and check-out. If a person forgets to do that, then there could be an issue in the replacement of that particular object in the storage. It will be great if it can be automatically managed.

I have been using this solution for the last two to three years.

There are absolutely no issues. They're really great at stability.

It has great scalability.

It is quite straightforward. You can set it up even when you don't know much about it. You log into Azure.com, which is free for one year, and take a virtual machine and storage and then run your own website through Microsoft Azure Block Storage. You can store your image files, videos, and other document files from there. It is very easy. Oracle Cloud and AWS also provide the same ease of use, not only Azure.

In terms of pricing, Azure is quite cheaper than AWS. However, I have recently read that Oracle Cloud Generation 2 storage is quite cheaper than Azure. I haven't used it yet.

We need to look at a customer's requirements, and, based on that, we can suggest the storage. You can save at least 20% with Azure as compared to AWS, which is quite costly.

What other advice do I have?

I have worked on similar solutions from Oracle and Amazon. Feature-wise, they all provide the same features. However, I found Azure more convenient to work on than other solutions. It is very easy to use for data analytics purposes as well as for storing the archive data or long-term use data, that is, non-relational and unstructured data.

I would rate Microsoft Azure Block Storage a ten out of ten. It is really good.

Public Cloud Storage Services
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AlexeySaverchenko - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Intelligence Lead at IXOM
Reliable with good storage capabilities and easy uploading
  • "The stability seems to be very reliable."
  • "If the documentation could be improved then it would be very good. Right now, if you face a question, you have to guess how it works or you have to test your hypothesis."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for storage.

What is most valuable?

The storage is great. It's easy to upload files.

The stability seems to be very reliable.

It's a very scalable solution.

I like the storage explorer feature.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across any missing features.

I have experience in resolving various issues, however, troubleshooting can be sometimes very difficult as items are not very well documented. If the documentation could be improved then it would be very good. Right now, if you face a question, you have to guess how it works or you have to test your hypothesis. This would be great for newer, more basic users.

I have explored the solution several times in the past and have used it maybe for almost a year. I work with it almost on a daily basis.

I have never had any issues with eh stability. I've never dealt with bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's stable and reliable.

The solution scales well. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't comment on how helpful they would be if issues came up.

I have experience with Databricks and I'd not say that there isn't much of a difference. I tend to prefer Azure as everything is under one umbrella.

The solution was not deployed by me directly.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user. I don't have any special arrangements with the company.

I would rate the solution a ten out of ten. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Private Cloud
Database Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It's a reasonable price for what we're getting

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure Block Storage as the secure backup destination for data from on-premise sources and also from cloud services. I backup files from SQL to Azure Block Storage and restore from Azure when needed.

What is most valuable?

We can use Azure Block Storage for some of our bigger files.

What needs improvement?

Azure Block Storage could use more capacity.

We started using Azure Block Storage in 2020.

So far, so good.

Azure Block Storage is scalable enough to meet the needs of our company of 1,000 employees.

We had a minor issue with Block Storage, but we never opened a ticket with Microsoft support.

Setting up Block Storage is simple. We handled it ourselves, and it only took around an hour. After deployment, all the maintenance is done by the provider.

I think Azure Block Storage is a reasonable price for the amount of storage we're getting.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Block Storage eight out of 10. I like that I don't need much technical experience. I always recommend Azure Block Storage to other companies that already used Azure. -

Software Engineer
Stable storage solution with excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We have Azure Block Storage because we heavily use image and video files in our application for our data. We are able to store and download them from our web application to view images and stream/playback videos.

What is most valuable?

This is a very stable solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like for the next release to replace the CDN being used for content delivery, there is currently a rather long delay.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

I have not had any issues regarding the stability thus far.

This is a scalable solution. We have twelve people using Azure at our company with over four thousand end users

Microsoft support is really amazing. We got feedback quickly, almost within twenty four hours.

The initial setup was easy. All I needed to do was create an account and begin configuration.

I was able to complete the setup myself and it took all but thirty minutes.

What other advice do I have?

Note that if you plan to use Azure, you will need to create an account with AWS.

Technical Infrastructure Analyst at Socridge Bank
Very robust, flexible and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We recently moved to Block Storage for SQL on Azure. It enables our employees to work remotely. We are customers of Microsoft and I'm a technical infrastructure analyst.

What is most valuable?

This is a very robust and flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

I'd like them to improve the features of data gathering - sometimes you need to get the data from the block and it's usually very expensive.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

This solution is very scalable.

Microsoft provides good support. They respond quickly and their technical people are very helpful.

The initial setup is easy.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to analyze your requirements because it can sometimes be a problem in terms of price. Pay attention to locking because sometimes the amount of data on the block can lock your business.

I rate the solution 10 out of 10.

Senior IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to integrate, stable, and scalable, but should be easier to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using it for POC. It is not yet live. The data storage is pulling the data.

We have the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to integrate with applications.

What needs improvement?

It should be easier to deploy.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Currently, we have three or four users.

Their support is fine.

Its installation is okay. It takes around one hour.

It was done by me. Sometimes, it is also done by a third party.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Microsoft Azure Block Storage a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Public Cloud Storage Services Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Google, and more!
Updated: May 2022