Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Meraki SD-WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Meraki SD-WAN is #1 ranked solution in top Software Defined Networking. PeerSpot users give Meraki SD-WAN an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Meraki SD-WAN is most commonly compared to Cisco SD-WAN: Meraki SD-WAN vs Cisco SD-WAN. Meraki SD-WAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.
Meraki SD-WAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Meraki SD-WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Meraki SD-WAN?

Software-defined WAN is a new approach to network connectivity that lowers operational costs and improves resource usage for multi-site deployments, allowing network administrators to use bandwidth more efficiently and ensure the highest possible level of performance for critical applications without sacrificing security or data privacy. For more information on deploying and configuring SD-WAN on the Meraki MX Security Appliance, see the Meraki SD-WAN Deployment Guide.

Meraki SD-WAN Customers

École Jeannine Manuel

Meraki SD-WAN Video

Archived Meraki SD-WAN Reviews (more than two years old)

IP Network Architect/Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable product with application awareness that is straightforward to set up and use
  • "The most valuable feature is application awareness."
  • "This solution can only support up to two WAN ports."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. It allows our users to have their main LAN on the internet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is application awareness.

What needs improvement?

This solution can only support up to two WAN ports. However, many of our customers would like to have four WAN ports.

This solution comes without NAT support enabled. If you need it, then NAT has to be enabled.

If this solution were cheaper then it would be of interest to smaller companies.

I have been working with the Meraki SD-WAN for one year.

Meraki SD-WAN
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Meraki SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have had no issues in terms of stability.

This is a scalable product, although it is most suitable for medium-sized organizations.

We can speak with technical support directly but our customers have not had any issues.

I am familiar with products from several different vendors. The choice of product depends on several factors, including their budget.

The initial setup is straightforward. Just plug and play.

We offer this solution to our customers as a more cost-effective alternative to some of the other products. Meraki is considered to be in a medium-range in terms of cost.

The licensing fees are approximately $1,000 USD annually.

What other advice do I have?

For medium-sized and larger enterprises, Meraki is a very good choice.

IT Manager at a hospitality company with 201-500 employees
Stable with a straightforward setup and a quick deployment

What is most valuable?

The cloud management is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to enact more advanced protections.

We've been using the solution for a few months.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability the solution offers is very good.

Currently, we have 100 users on the solution in our company. I'm not sure if our organization plans to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is good. We've been very satisfied with the level of service they offer.

We did previously use a different solution. It was a solution for an on-premises environment and we wanted to move to the cloud, which is why we switched.

The initial setup was extremely straightforward.

It only took us one day to deploy the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The service provided by the solution is very good.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Meraki SD-WAN
September 2022
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Samuel-Emesoronye - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Architect at Signal Allinace
Easy to manage, helps to optimize and prioritize network traffic
  • "The most valuable feature is application performance monitoring and being able to browse packets dynamically based on priorities."
  • "The port density should be improved because this solution is limited to two."

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and the Meraki SD-WAN is one of the solutions that I provide to my customers and have experience with.

How has it helped my organization?

One of my clients was able to optimize their traffic by having the Meraki device direct all of their branch traffic through the DIA (direct internet access), rather than through the WAN. The WAN was corporate-wide, meaning that prior to using this solution, all of the branch traffic had to be routed through there.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is application performance monitoring and being able to browse packets dynamically based on priorities. For instance, I have a customer that has multiple connectivities across five different sites and they wanted to leverage SD-WAN for business and application intelligent routing. They wanted to be able to assign higher priority to packets that originate from mission-critical applications.

What needs improvement?

The port density should be improved because this solution is limited to two. We are getting more and more use cases where clients have more than two internet connections and require more than two ports. There should be three or four ports. It is possible to work around this limitation by using a layer two switch, but it does not provide the same flexibility as the statically assigned port.

The price of this solution is too high for smaller companies in Africa, where it is the enterprises that can afford it.

Meraki SD-WAN provides a very stable environment.

For example, when I travel out of my city, I still have remote access to my Meraki device. I can access things like my camera feed, I can see my dashboards, and I can manage users. The connection is almost always on, 24/7, with no downtime. In cases where there is downtime, it is almost always a problem with the provider and not the Meraki device.

The technical support from Meraki is fantastic. I do, however, see a bit of resentment when it comes to trying to integrate Meraki with other products such as Cisco ASA or Fortinet. I can understand it because they probably don't have much experience with the products from other vendors. When it comes to supporting their own product, they do a fantastic job.

This is a very straightforward deployment, especially compared to some of the other solutions that I have worked with.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the level of complexity and the environment. I've had some locations where it has taken three weeks, although two or three days is usually enough, once the design phase is concluded.

Meraki solutions come with a choice of several different subscription options including one year, three years, five years, seven years, and ten years.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good solution. I like products where you can deploy them and then go to sleep because they are watertight. It isn't going to give you headaches from support calls at 3:00 AM from a customer saying that the site is down. I definitely recommend that people look at the advantages of Meraki, and in particular, the Meraki SD-WAN because of the access to the cloud management interface.

If you ever had a problem with SD-WAN then you do not have to drive to the corporate head office or use a VPN. You can always access the dashboard from anywhere, as long as you have the required privileges on the portal.

The only complaints I have are about the port density and the pricing. They are doing a fantastic job, although there is always room for improvement.

Jóhann G. Thorarensen - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at Sund Upper Secondary School
Enables us to get valuable information from the system without having to go into every single device
  • "The most interesting feature is the amount of information you can get from overseeing the system from a centralized place."
  • "There could be more options for integration between other devices — sort of being able to more easily make everything integrated in one solution."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Cisco Meraki, both for the firewall and software-defined network.

For the time being, we are sort of picking out the best way to use it in terms of the number of licenses and what we actually need to be able to oversee and have control over — what we really need to do. We are still looking at what are the most essential parts and whether we should increase the number of licenses or just to keep what we already have at the moment. We are taking it step-by-step for now.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the firewall, actually what I found most interesting was that the amount of information you can get from overseeing the system from a centralized place. For example, we know the way people logged in, when they logged out, and how they access work that is on individual computers. It provides a lot of information.

So, basically the most valuable feature so far is just the information we can actually get from the system without actually having to go into every single device. You can just get it all from one point, gather all the information that would usually take you about up to 10 minutes per computer and get it almost instantly.

In terms of Software Defined Networking, when our older firewall was used in the setup, it was a very different configuration of various computers. What we actually thought we had was sometimes outdated and possibly not being used at all in one or two cases. Using this product was a chance to find out where actually there are vulnerabilities in our system and which places need to be updated that had not been properly updated because they sort of fell between the cracks.

What needs improvement?

Because I have not been using the product for very long, I'm really just learning it and being overwhelmed by the amount of information that I can actually get from the system. There is really nothing that I can think of at the moment that needs to be improved. I'm just really happy about basically everything. It might happen that something will become important sometime as we get more used to the product and we are able to look into it better. But for the moment it seems to cover everything we need.

Possibly there may be more options for integration between computers, projectors, television — sort of being able to more easily make everything included in one solution. It would be even more useful.

I have been using the product for more than two months.

Our impressions of the stability of SD-WAN is good at this point. We have had no issues that I know of up until this moment.  Whether we will later on remains uncertain. For now  everything is stable and working well.

The scalability of the solution does not seem like it will be a problem.

We have not had help directly from Cisco's technical support. We did have help once indirectly through another company that we used to help us to sort out our old system. That was two years ago and I was not personally involved.

Actually, I'm only now comparing how this system works to our experience with the old system we used. That is not something I can do instantly. But the reason we chose this solution was to consolidate and make use of improved features.

The initial setup for the product was straightforward and we had no issues. Our deployment took approximately only about two hours.

We did use the help of a consultant who knew more about the implementation of the product, but in the end, it really was just writing down which plug went from where to where. That was sort of our biggest issue.

We were satisfied working with the consultant as they did help the process. In the end, we were sure it was set up correctly.

We went to a conference two years ago to start researching another solution like Fortinet  FortiGate. Meraki was the one that seemed to stand out more to me.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people considering this as a solution is that I would probably just recommend them the same server and set up that we have. It sort of depends on what the person or the business needs. There are questions about how much control over it that you want to have, how much you really need to be able to oversee everything, et cetera. In terms of security issues, I think it is wonderful to be able to actually see where the pitfalls of our infrastructure are and stuff like that. But my gut feeling is I think I would probably just recommend the same system as we have.

But the problem with that is I also don't know how Fortinet works because I haven't tested and implemented it myself. It looked promising when we researched it two years ago. I don't know, maybe it is just as good as Meraki. From what I've seen from comparisons between the two, they seem to be similar in terms of usability and price. I could be mistaken about some of that. But I'm happy with what we have, so I can recommend our system as something that is working for us.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Meraki SD-WAN, Software Defined Networking as an eight given the fact that I've only been working on it this short of time.

MichielZyde - PeerSpot reviewer
Junior System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to configure and has a nice GUI, but the logging needs to be improved
  • "This is a high availability solution that is easy to configure and has a nice GUI."
  • "When there is an issue, I find it difficult to figure out what is going wrong because the logs do not provide as much information as solutions from HP."

What is our primary use case?

We are a company that provides IT solutions to other companies and this is one of the products that we implement for others.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

When there is an issue, I find it difficult to figure out what is going wrong because the logs do not provide as much information as solutions from HP. With HP you have the CLI, but with Meraki, there is no CLI and I find it a little bit annoying because you always have to work with the interface. In this regard, the interface could be improved.

Being able to log in remotely via SSL and access a CLI would be helpful because I prefer the CLI over a graphical interface.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have used many solutions from different vendors because these are products that we provide to other companies.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. When you configure your devices, you have to assign your licenses. You have to say where your devices are located and assign licenses per product. For example, you have to specify switches, access points, firewalls, etc. Once your devices are online you can configure them in the dashboard, and you're off.

What other advice do I have?

This is a fine product but there is always room for improvement. It is easy to manage and the user interface tells you when something is wrong, but there is always something that they can develop or integrate.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
ACT Solutions Architect at a venture capital & private equity firm with 51-200 employees
Simple to configure and good for the automatic creation of services
  • "This product has a simple configuration that can be accessed through a web interface or the API."
  • "It should be easier to install BGP and it should have a better backup."

What is our primary use case?

This is a software-defined networking solution in a wide area network.

What is most valuable?

This solution is good for the automatic creation of services.

What needs improvement?

I think that it is the right time to research features such as IPsec IKEv2 and SSL decryption.

I would like a faster installation time in the next release.

It should be easier to install BGP and it should have a better backup.

I have been using Meraki SD-WAN for about two years.

We use the latest version in production environments. However, in the laboratories, we use the beta version to learn about the new features that we want to use in the future.

I focus on the technical aspects, configuration aspects, and monitoring aspects between the products to assist our customers.

This is a stable product.

Meraki SD-WAN is a scalable solution. We have implemented between 120 and 150 PCs.

What other advice do I have?

We are looking forward to using some of the features that we are currently testing in the beta. Some of these include data suppression options and an IPsec solution with IKEv2.

ThomasChristen - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at Bechtle Steffen Schweiz Ag
Easy to use, a straightforward setup, and prioritizes traffic well
  • "The solution's ability to prioritize traffic is its most valuable feature."
  • "The solution needs a multi-use provider portal."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our branch offices.

What is most valuable?

The solution's ability to prioritize traffic is its most valuable feature.

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a multi-use provider portal.

I'm not on the technical side, so I don't know if there is an area of the solution that needs improvement. There is a wish button in the product, and we're fine with that.

The pricing could be a bit lower.

I've been using the solution for two years now.

The solution is stable.

We've never had an issue with scalability. We have about 200 users on the solution.

We've only ever used the solution's technical support once and it was fine.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We use the public cloud deployment model. We're a Cisco partner.

Due to its overall ease of use, I'd recommend the solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

StephaneFaure - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Stable and scalable with a very good dashboard

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a certain amount of functionality and features.

The VRRP design needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support is really good.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment times depend on the customer and the environment. If could be anywhere from two days to six months.

We looked into Azure, but Azure didn't make AZ1s.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. Meraki is a cloud solution.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Network and Cyber Security Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers good optimization, load balancing, and auto VPN features
  • "The Meraki SD-WAN solution is simple to deploy."
  • "They stopped doing WAN optimization as a feature set, which is lacking. They need to relook at that and consider WAN optimization as an option."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for optimization, load balancing, and the different end links. We have a variety of customer enterprises that consist of small, medium, and large-size enterprise customers. More of our clients are moving to direct internet access, so we are getting rid of the current MPLS solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the traffic shaping, the security that is built into the routers on MX, they have a lot of customer performance classes, the visibility, and the auto VPN features.

What needs improvement?

They stopped doing WAN optimization as a feature set, which is now lacking. They need to relook at that and consider WAN optimization as an option.

I know that they have improved the security and have taken that off and that to me is critical on the MX. That's where they lack.

The reporting needs to be looked at. It needs to be more granular. The reporting on the actual solution isn't what the customers are wanting to get.

Scalability could improve to accommodate a larger enterprise.

In the next release, I would like to see the WAN optimization.

I have been using this solution for twelve years.

This solution is stable and I have not found any issues in particular.

This solution is scalable. It is not complex. On the Mx side, it could be a room for a high-end device and the highest you get is MX 450. It is scalable but it could improve for a larger enterprise.

The initial setup of this solution is easy. It is very intuitive when it comes to setups.

The deployment is very quick. We managed to roll out one hundred and sixty branches in a matter of a couple of months.

I don't deal with technical support directly, as I am on the design and retail side of things. As far as I understand, the technical support has been fairly competent. There haven't been any issues.

What other advice do I have?

The Meraki SD-WAN solution is simple to deploy.

You have to plan well and look at creating policies and create your templates prior to the installation.

What we found, was that while we were doing the implementation we were doing a lot of work. If we had planned before the actual implementation, then the entire rollout would have been much simpler.

The setup is simple but it terms of deployment, it is better to create your policies and the planning needs to be done prior to the actual deployment.

AndreasRuemmeli - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Simple to use, has a good outer VPN, and the dashboards are user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for two purposes. One is to connect the different locations, and the other is for security.

What is most valuable?

The outer VPN is the solution's most valuable feature.

The dashboard is user-friendly. It's very simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if it added more features, especially monitoring and reporting features.

I've been using the solution for two to three years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is okay, but the solution is much more suited to small and medium-sized companies and isn't really suited for large ones. If you have 500 to 1000 or 2000 people it's okay. For a large international company, it's not the right product. At the moment, we have about 2-3,000 users on the solution.

The technical support has been very good. We're satisfied with the level of service they offer.

The solution is straightforward. As long as you can get all of the required information from the client, it's very easy.

How long it takes to deploy depends on the requirements. It can vary. To configure it is easy, but in most cases, we don't get all the information from the customer which can hold things up a bit.

We have about 20 people for deployment and maintenance.

We handle the deployment ourselves.

Licensing is on a monthly basis. There are also fees for technical support.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Cisco partner.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Director IT/TI for Cloud SME at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good stability, with a straightforward setup, but endpoint security needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it to provide SD-WAN solutions for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a whole vertical solution, so it doesn't need any other components in order to provide basic features.

What needs improvement?

The security of the solution needs to be improved.

The adoption of endpoint services or endpoint security should be developed in future releases.

I've been using the solution for five to ten years.

The solution is relatively stable.

The solution is not scalable for high-end customers. Meraki is really flexible and can start from really small sites, so it's better suited to the SME market. When you reach a situation where you have a high number of sites with a high level of complexity, then Cisco Meraki probably lacks a bit of flexibility.

I've never had to reach out to technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward; it's not that complex. How long it takes to deploy depends on the customer's requirements and how complex their infrastructure is.

We're a distributor. We deploy the solution on-premises for our clients.

We did evaluate other options, but we're very happy with Cisco Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others considering implementing the solution would be to start small and be patient.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

it_user869685 - PeerSpot reviewer
Partner and Chairman at Engitel
User
Provides zero touch configuration onsite based on the manager system's pre-configuration

What is our primary use case?

We did only a short evaluation focused in training to show the main functions of the dashboard and VPN implementation.

How has it helped my organization?

Not for now, we are still in the test stage and implementing a laboratory with a basic topology: firewall, switch, and AP.

What is most valuable?

Zero touch configuration onsite based on the manager system's pre-configuration and the VPN automation set.

What needs improvement?

Perimetral security for new requirements on financial networks and DRP systems, like SAP.

It should send email alerts.

Trial/evaluations only.