Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Meraki MS Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Meraki MS Switches is #5 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Meraki MS Switches an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Meraki MS Switches is most commonly compared to Aruba Switches: Meraki MS Switches vs Aruba Switches. Meraki MS Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 16% of all views.
Meraki MS Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Meraki MS Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Meraki MS Switches?
The Cisco Meraki MS brings the benefits of the cloud to networks of all sizes: simplified management, reduced complexity, network wide visibility and control, with lower operational cost for campus and branch deployments. Cisco Meraki access switching is available in both Layer 2 and powerful Layer 3 models. Mission-critical features like deep, Layer 7 application visibility, network topology, virtual stacking, QoS for business critical applications, 802.1X access control, and more are present in all models.

Meraki MS Switches was previously known as MS220, MS320, MS420.

Meraki MS Switches Customers
Cisco Live Milan, Hyatt
Meraki MS Switches Video

Archived Meraki MS Switches Reviews (more than two years old)

Mansukh Bhesania - PeerSpot reviewer
MD and CEO at Aster Networks Pvt Ltd
Easy to manage remotely and the SD-WAN features are good

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Meraki MS Switches are one of the network infrastructure products that we implement for our clients. My goal is to give the proper service and proper ideas. Our customers for this product include educational institutions, manufacturing plants, and banks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is cloud management. In particular, if you are required to manage the switch remotely then this is a good solution.

The SD-WAN features are very good.

What needs improvement?

I don't think that the cost is a problem, but sometimes the price requires convincing the customer of the value.

We have been working with Meraki Switches for the past 10 to 12 years.

Meraki MS Switches
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Meraki MS Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Stability-wise, I have not had a bad experience in the past and none of my customers are complaining.

Scalability has not been a problem.

The Cisco technical support is good and we have had no problem at all. When we require help then they are excellent.

I work with and promote many different switches including the standard Cisco and Meraki products.

The initial setup is very easy to complete.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I am actively promoting it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Director of Institutional Technology at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
Very good GUI controlled elements; it provides us with great quality statistics
  • "Provides good statistics and it doesn't require teaching command lines."
  • "Less flexibility than in some other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case of the product is for our primary infrastructure on campus and supporting our wireless network culture. I'm the director of institutional technology and we are users of Meraki.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provides us with better statistics than we previously had. That's a great feature.

What is most valuable?

Having the Meraki GUI controlled elements meant that I could train my help desk guys without having to try and teach a command line.

What needs improvement?

I'm an old CLI guy from Cisco so I've had to give up some of the granularity that I'm used to having. With Cisco I could narrow things down but now I'm stuck to exactly what Meraki gives me. I don't have any options. Previously I used to be able to look at light levels on an object but I can't do that now. Those are a couple of little issues, but I do get it right out of the box whereas with Cisco it requires spending thousands of dollars and buying extra equipment to get the knowledge of what's going on in your network.

They've already released some new things on their flagship model. I'd like to see the price come down a little bit, but you've got to pay for what you get like the 38 series switch. With Cisco you can stack them for command and control whereas with Meraki, you can stack them with power, but each individual switch is still controlled as an individual switch. You don't see them as one switch. They're stacked with stacking cables, it's multiple switches. It's little stuff, nothing serious.

I've been using this solution for three years.

It's a stable solution and great for software updates. You just click on it and it does it automatically for you. The next morning it's ready to rock and roll. At my school, I have 170 faculty staff, and I've got 800 students.

I work in a school and we've had a huge disruption with coronavirus and having students studying remotely on campus and remotely off campus and needing more throughput than what the firewall can cope with. I'm right at the cusp of needing a bigger firewall. Meraki doesn't necessarily always have the exact feature that you'd like.

I think the support is good. Sometimes they even tell you that you've got a problem before you get to it. They've been very forthcoming with their help.

As mentioned, I previously worked with Cisco. I was at a Cisco shop before I got here and we had one person to do networking, and two guys that worked in the help desk so I helped out on the networking side. The main difference is that with Cisco you can get exactly what you want but you can't do that with Meraki.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's well worth the time and effort to get the solution going and use it in the future.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Meraki MS Switches
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly with a simple interface, and we can orchestrate our network from the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy and we work with a variety of networking products, including Meraki MS Switches. Our primary use case is cloud orchestration, where you can log in from anywhere and manage our devices remotely.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to orchestrate the network from the cloud.

These switches are simple to use and the user interface is good.

What needs improvement?

Technical support can be faster to respond to non-telephone originated inquiries.

I have been using Meraki MS Switches for the past five months.

We are satisfied with the stability and plan to continue using this product.

I would rate scalability at 60% because it doesn't have the core functionality required for aggregated interfaces. For example, you can not use a virtual device context, so you can't scale easily.

We have close to 300 users in the organization.

The technical support is awesome. However, when you leave a case, they will not immediately contact you unless you first call them and explain that it is of high priority. They will respond immediately but it is important that you contact them by phone, first.

I used to work primarily with Juniper switches but I also work with Cisco and Meraki products. I was not part of the decision to use Meraki.

The initial setup is very straightforward and they can be deployed within minutes.

We have the hardware on-premises but it is a cloud-based, SD-WAN solution.

I normally deploy these switches myself.

What other advice do I have?

For cloud usage, I recommend this product.

Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good dashboard, easy to configure and segment our network appropriately
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to segment my infrastructure between phones, security systems, and other tasks."
  • "Better alerting capabilities are needed because they do not provide enough notification or detail about events."

What is our primary use case?

The switches make up part of the network infrastructure in the company.

We primarily use VLANs and Wi-Fi.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Better alerting capabilities are needed because they do not provide enough notification or detail about events. For example, it doesn't tell me if I have lost an access point, or I'm getting packet drops, or somebody is using excessive bandwidth because of a download they are doing. It is very hard to drill down on these problems and sometimes, you might have to use a third-party solution to pull the reports out.

Technical support is in need of improvement.

I have been using Meraki MS Switches for about one year.

The stability is great.

Our company has not had to scale our network. However, some of our clients that use these same switches have scaled up, and it was an easy process for them. This is in part because it is easy to change configurations on the fly.

The technical support for this product is difficult to deal with. With multiple levels, it is very difficult to get through to the right person that can help with the problem. It is disappointing because when you pay a lot of money for the hardware, you expect to get the support that you need to get.

I handle the maintenance of these switches, including firmware updates.

We paid for our switches outright, at a cost of between $15,000 USD and $18,000 USD.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product except that the technical support and alerting need to be improved. As it is now with the alerting, I get messages from the firewall before I am alerted by the Meraki hardware. It makes it more difficult to troubleshoot.

Matt Baldwin - PeerSpot reviewer
President at Vertisys LLC
A mature product with a straightforward setup and good technical support
  • "The technical support is quite good."
  • "The stability of the solution isn't ideal. We've had a lot of problems with the switches. They are unstable and unreliable. We need to reboot them often."

What is our primary use case?

The general use case is just as a unified platform for APs and switches. In our particular case, we brought on a client that had firewalls, access points, and had a need for switches to all run on one platform.

What is most valuable?

Where they are in the market and the market segment with their cloud management is an impressive aspect of the solution that originally lead ut to the solution. The maturity with their cloud management is really great.

The technical support is quite good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the switches, generally, we have some stability problems. There are general stability issues with them. It's been inconsistent for a couple of years. It's not really based on any firmware.

Switches that are in production and running will stop responding. And so we have to reboot the switches.

We've been using the solution for six years at this point.

I haven't seen any issues with scalability. Our environment is relatively small, about 20-25 offices, and therefore we haven't tried to expand the solution.

The support of the solution has always been very good. They're very knowledgable and responsive. We're satisfied with their level of attention.

The initial setup is not complex. It's straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Cisco partner. Our previous solutions were all Cisco-based, however, we were just using the traditional Cisco 2900 Series Switches. We still have a lot of those in production.

As far as switches go, it's a good product. As long as it makes a good fit for the customer, the only advice is to not let the maturity of the product dictate the need to implement.

There are a lot of solutions out there now that are a little bit cheaper, and that might meet a company's desired price point. Many other products also provide the same level of functionality. Don't just buy it because of the name.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

Tony-Moore - PeerSpot reviewer
President at Virtual Tech Computer Solutions
Integrated SD-WAN, stable, and offers good visibility using the dashboard
  • "The most valuable feature is the granular visibility that they provide with a single pane of glass."
  • "The pain point for our customers is the pricing and it should be reduced to make it more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Meraki MS Switches are one of the products that we implement for our clients as part of their network infrastructure.

One of our typical use cases is connecting stores within a retail environment.

What is most valuable?

The SD-WAN capability is already integrated and it is excellent.

It can easily tie into the backend of Azure.

The most valuable feature is the granular visibility that they provide with a single pane of glass. It is a very useful dashboard.

What needs improvement?

We have been dealing with this product for a couple of years.

I haven't had any problem with Cisco at all. I would say that they are pretty solid in terms of stability.

Different switch models are chosen based on the size of the site. We use certain models at smaller sites, whereas we use different models for the larger sites. Overall, scalability is excellent.

Technical support is good and they are on top of everything.

I work with several similar products by different vendors and sometimes, people buy them instead because they are cheaper.

The initial setup is straightforward. The administration is usually handled by people like the VP of technology in the company.

The pricing is high and it is where we get the most pushback from customers.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this type of product is to do the research. From my experience, Meraki switches sell themselves and the only thing that people contest is the price.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Sriman L - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at Nipun Net Solutions
Offers the ability to select multiple ports at a time in a checkbox
  • "With Meraki, there is the advantage that you have dashboard access via the internet and you can work on it from anywhere."
  • "In terms of troubleshooting, if we get more tools there is an issue."

What is most valuable?

When it comes to troubleshooting, in the past we had to take the console and do configuration changes, and we had to be on location or have a VPN connection to access it. But with Meraki, there is the advantage that you have dashboard access via the internet and you can work on it from anywhere. With Meraki switches, there is virtual stacking. Let's say you have two branches where two different switches are located. I can take a few ports from switch 1 and few ports from switch 2 and I can do a virtual stack between these ports. And there is a port schedule, as well. For example, some customers want to do make budget choices to save power or something. There is a port schedule option to give power for access points through these PoE ports on a schedule you choose, like during office hours. Morning 9:00 to evening 6:30, and it will work only Monday to Friday. I can schedule so these ports will be running those times only. In an annual scenario, this can mean more savings for the customer.

You can select multiple ports at a time in a checkbox, and you can do a port configuration. If uplinks are required, you can configure that, too. There are a couple of tools available in the Tools section where you can do ARP, Ping, LED status, etc. If any network goes down or is getting any warnings, you'll get an immediate amber symbol. We'll get alerts and an immediate email even if one link goes down or anything is wrong. We require some additional integrated tools for when a switch is down, like WhatsUp Gold, or SolarWinds. So on the back-end, we need to integrate our email servers into the process. We need more tools for that. But in the dashboard, it all comes together and gives greater visibility, including the UX pack if you want - everything will be there.

The features part is good. Everything in terms of access and everything else.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, there's API. For example, we recently implemented Microsoft Azure. We have it integrated now into the dashboard for authentication. Dashboard authentication includes local users which we are creating in the dashboard itself. We integrated Azure with our local active directory. As the administrator in IT, I can log into the dashboard with my AD credentials only, so we used Xero and SAML with the Microsoft Azure. It's working fine. Similarly in the camera. Generally, the camera is in the cloud. In the camera, every field requires you to enter some information. If you have a cloud archive, it will be directed towards your Meraki cloud based on whatever storage license you have, 90 days or 30 days. But we worked on a different approach. We developed some more internal applications with other partners. We are pitching data from the Meraki camera, and we are putting into our internal storage with the Python script in the back-end.

Another thing is CMX. There is a location tracking for the employees who are inside, and with Meraki there is a Bluetooth option with a separate radio. They have a separate Bluetooth radio, Air Marshal radio, 2.4 and 5 GHz, for all the different radios, but it's all ELM mode in the old access points. It serves the clients as well as monitors the rogue access points. But in Meraki, we have a separate radio for it to monitor all the Bluetooth clients who are coming and who are identified from the dashboard. We will send it through the API to the location-scanning API to a third-party application and it gives you greater visibility. We can customize our own application of the dashboard. For example if you have a retail shop, you can put your store map on there and you can track the clients, like how many clients have visited. We can customize it. We worked on that customization pack.

In terms of troubleshooting, if we get more tools there is an issue. Our pack has some internal access, right? In traditional solutions we can go to the CLI and we can see whatever you want to change and you can play around with it. But in Meraki, if they got additional tools maybe it would help. In terms of MS I see some complications. There are some voice-related services that some customers are expecting, so they want to put an MS firewall in Azure or AWS, and they want to ship the traffic from that firewall. For example, I am at different branches, so the initial firewall will make the decision. They are looking at that kind of scenario. I hear from some of the customers with MS, that there are some voice-related, SIP services. So it's a limitation. If you have a voice service with AmEx, I saw something that SIP ALG will not support AmEx. So that's one limitation here.

I have been working with Meraki Switches for the past year. I have actually worked with all Meraki products, not only a particular one, as it is a complete stack. I've worked with them for a couple of POC's that we did for the customers. They were implemented mostly in firewalls and access points. A feature we recently implemented for one location was Mindtree.

In terms of stability, it is stable.

You can scale it up. You can take any traditional scenario that you have a license for and scale up. I'm working with 200 or so people, so I just bought a few access points and a few switches. If you compare Meraki with the traditional, every switch or every firewall and every access point, every WLCL switch in the traditional way requires some licenses. If that device has a MAC throughput capability, I need to go for another device. If there is a WLCL pack, it requires another device I need to purchase. But with Meraki, there is nothing like that, the license will cover the hardware, RMA, and the licensing plan.

Recently, it converted from the quote elimination to party-wise licenses. If you have a device license, you simply add the licenses and you can play around with it. There are more restrictions, like if you see access points with MR, ENT it will come with an MV, so it's not about the model. For example, today I have an MR42, tomorrow I'll buy some MR53 or MR87. It is independent of the model and you can add whenever you have the API licenses. Similarly, if you have a camera license, you can add. If you have MDM or MV, you can add. It's unlimited. It is scalable, and it gives you flexibility and security. Every device will establish a tunnel with official encryption towards the Meraki cloud and all the devices will be securely connected and it will take less than 1 kbps in terms of configuring data.

We have worked on the homes of CEO's and directors and up to to hospitals, retail and manufacturing establishments. Everything is supported and scalable.

They give 24/7 support, so whenever you have an issue, you can write or call directly if you feel that it is higher-priority. You can simply call the toll-free number and they'll immediately come to the call and help. In terms of any troubleshooting, they will do it from their end. Because we have some limited access in terms of troubleshooting, if you want to do some changes like firmware-related bugs or something, they will fix it from their end on the back-end.

The initial setup is very simple. I ordered the devices and immediately the software is loaded and you'll receive a dashboard key so you can start the configuration. Once the device is running you can simply play around with it.

It only takes minutes to set up for basic configuration. If you're looking for integrations you may need to do some registration or back-end coding or something. Apart from that, if it's a dashboard it is a configuration template. If you have multiple branches, you can create one template for other branches.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Meraki MS Switches. If the user wants more flexibility in terms of configuration and manageability, I would definitely recommend implementing it.

On a scale of one to ten I would rate Meraki MS Switches a nine.

Antra Andrianarivo - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Manager at Nexthope
Easy initial setup with excellent newer models, but the firewall is not powerful
  • "The initial setup is simple."
  • "The firewall is not very powerful. The other week, one of the switches only gave one gigabit of output. It's become a concern for our customers."

What is our primary use case?

There are many use cases for the solution. We implement them mainly for SMEs.

What is most valuable?

The switches, overall, are very good.

The newest switches, in particular, are excellent.

The initial setup is simple.

What needs improvement?

The problem that we saw with some customers is that it's very hard to train them to manage everything on the cloud, and some customers don't want this.

It is very difficult to know what we should do. There should be a queue available to connect over the VPN. However, there was a lack of an image in the other queue. Once, when a customer wanted to tour the system, there were issues with connectivity to the VPN, which was offputting.

The solution is very stable. We've tested it extensively and it's very good. It's also quite fast. A company doesn't have to fear reliability with Meraki. They shouldn't expect to deal with bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good on the backend. We've even run some stress tests to see how the solution would hold up to expansion and have had great results. If an organization needs to scale up, they can do so with Meraki. It's not a problem at all.

The solution offers okay technical support. Users need pretty good access to senior engineers on the technical support team. Sometimes you have really bad errors on the site and you need very advanced help. A more junior technical support staff member will not be able to assist. Meraki needs to continue to work to ensure senior staff is available to deal with those levels of calls as they happen. A user expects to have a senior engineer to take the question from the beginning to the end if big issues arise.

Last week or last month we had an issue where we really needed a senior engineer and the support staff we got originally didn't know how to answer our questions. We had to pay for a more senior engineer.

We also use Aruba and HPE switches. We use a combination.

We've found the setup to be very straightforward.

On the promotion side, the marketing team will help when something goes wrong. You can write to someone at the company and they can help troubleshoot any issues as soon as something comes up.

Typically, it only takes about one day to deploy a switch. For a simple deployment, we just take it and connect it to the new port, and then we just connect everything to the computer. It's very easy. We haven't had issues or complications.

We're an integrator; we implement the solution for our clients.

We typically sign contracts for years as opposed to yearly. One year might be a bit expensive, but if you choose a long-term contract, it's very good. The pricing is very good. It's quite competitive in the marketplace. There are others that are much more expensive than this product. It's affordable, even for small companies.

What other advice do I have?

We're an integrator. We tend to test things before we send them to our customers.

We are a very small company, we are constantly looking for competitive pricing, as we don't have big budgets to throw around.

The solution is very good. From using the software to deployment, Meraki is good. Even enterprises would benefit from using the solution. Although we typically deal with smaller companies, I'd pick Meraki every time.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I would rate it higher, however, we have unique needs for the VPN, and require complex software features

Delivery Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Excellent visibility, good configuration capabilities and very good technical support
  • "The solution's most valuable aspect is the ease of stacking. The configuration on the MS Switches is very good, as well as its ability to assign the LANs."
  • "The solution needs to improve its ability to back up the auto-configuration."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for clients who need LAN access points.

What is most valuable?

The visibility of the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its ability to back up the auto-configuration.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The stability of the solution is good. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

The solution is easy to stack, which makes it scalable.

Overall, the solution's technical support has been helpful. They will stay with you for hours to help you sort out any issues and will help to review or check if the configurations are good.

We also use HP switches. We use both for various clients and which we use is largely based on the client's budget.

The initial setup is quite easy. The time it takes to deploy depends on the configuration requirements. It can take anywhere from 15 minutes to two hours. You only need one to two people to set it up.

There's a license fee. Sometimes you have to pay for extra services on top of that.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I'd tell others to make sure they take a screenshot of their configuration if they don't have a good backup for the platform.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Head of IT at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Excellent technical support and relatively stable, but has expensive pricing
  • "The technical support is very good. They offer some of the best support on the market."
  • "The solution needs to improve its scalability."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our production, mainly our processing, and for some internal uses surrounding the sovereignty of data.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product needs to be improved. I find that Cisco products are usually priced quite high.

The solution needs to improve its scalability.

I've been using the solution for between three and five years.

The solution is stable most of the time, but occasionally we have faced unpredictable issues that has affected the solution's stability for a short time. This has happened only two times over the last five years.

The solution is not scalable. If you need to scale, you need to change the equipment. Currently, about 100 users in our company are using Meraki MS switches.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is complex. We needed some specialized techs who were familiar with the setup.  We have very complex architecture, therefore it took us a few weeks to deploy the solution.

At first we had the assistance of an integrator, but afterwards, we handled the implementation by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

My advice to others would be that they have good knowledge of Cisco products before attempting to implement the solution. This is most important for successful deployment.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it offered better scalability and more competitive pricing.

SYMONPHARES - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Network Connectivity with Cloud Management and Inbuilt Visibility
  • "The most valuable features are the cloud management, the monitoring, and the visibility available on the report's facts on the cloud controller."
  • "The quote-building process is challenging and it needs to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for local network connectivity for our customers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The quote-building process is challenging and it needs to be simplified.

It is difficult to create a bill of materials and there should be a bundled solution. You still have to select different items from certain locations to build the solution. You can end up leaving out certain items that are needed unless you understand how everything works. Examples are the power supply and the power cable, which are not on the list by default. There should be a top-level part number that allows you to put all of the options that are available, rather than selecting each and every item separately and putting them together.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

This solution is stable. I haven't had any issues.

This solution is scalable. It is easy to expand.

Once the implementation is done and you have endpoints, then you can easily move configurations or copy from one site to another.

We have five to ten IT managers using this solution.

I am satisfied with the customer service and technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

This solution is deployed on-premises, but it is cloud-managed.

To implement this solution, I had the help of an integration company and I am not an end-user.

While I had assistance in the implementation, I didn't feel that I needed it.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that can be considered for starting a small environment, to a large environment because it is easy to scale and it gives them the inbuilt visibility that comes with the solution.

There is also the ease of integration and migration from the unfinished to the defined environment.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Darren-Sinden - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Specialist - Enterprise Networking & SD-WAN at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Pushing out policies from a single location is an easy way of leveraging utilities and resources
  • "The product provides a single-pane-of-glass in for management of wireless, security, and switching from multiple devices."
  • "Communication of compliance risk is awkward at best and threatening at worst. It needs to be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

When I'm advising customers on solutions I have to know what they need. If they are happy using a cloud management platform and they are looking at running more than a single line of business, then having the web portal with Meraki is a simple solution. It provides a single-pane-of-glass in terms of management. It is easy to switch between the wireless, the security, and controlling the switching if they own all of those different technologies provided by Meraki. With other vendor brands, you might find that the operating cost would potentially increase due to them having to manage different platforms.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us are the APIs. Development there has been very exciting and now we can actually drill down to client levels. What that means is that when I look at the portal I can drill down to the users that are logged on to the network and see what they are using the network for. It is very valuable to us and the client to have that ease of use and the capability of providing high-level service and service quality on the switches. It is a nice and easy way of leveraging utility and resources by pushing out policies from a single location to wherever my Meraki devices may be.

If I was an IT manager and I had sites globally, Meraki would be a perfect fit. I could reach the devices that are overseas without me or anyone else having to touch them. It is very much like zero-touch deployment, which is fantastic. An obvious bonus is that this capability is still backed by Meraki R&D with talented teams to support it. When changes and new features come out, I don't have to worry about doing software upgrades on devices because it's all done in the cloud. They just load it up and on you go. Of course, many other things are happening with Meraki and other developments that they are working on with Cisco. The whole story will come out in the resolution of what they choose to do on the security side of things and what capabilities you can gain by using Cisco and Meraki together.

What needs improvement?

A complaint that I might have about the services is the compliance risk response. If I or our clients put too many devices on a network, threatening emails get triggered by Meraki saying that we are out of compliance. It can put unnecessary fear into the customer of the product that their services will be curtailed or that they will have to pay escalated fees. The customer in turn then pushes the problem on to the reseller — us — which can create an awkward situation. We are seen as a less-trusted advisor because what we provided was poorly planned. I think there is a major problem with warning clients in that way. I've started hearing customers wishing that they had not gotten into a subscription just because of that policy. It is all well good having a subscription policy but making customers edgy is making some consider switching away from Meraki. Losing customers due to the means of enforcement of the subscription service is pretty ill-advised.

I think one of the things that Meraki started to develop and then held back on is unified communications. Meraki started beating the drum about using Meraki for VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) and then they suddenly stopped it. It would be nice to actually see that coming to the market, especially in the EMEA (Europe, the Middle East, and Africa). With Cisco's acquisitions such as Broadsoft, Meraki could potentially invest in that technology, so they would be able to provide a voice platform backed by Cisco. It could be an excellent situation and fulfill their promises at the same time.

We've been using this switching solution since Cisco purchased Meraki about six years ago.

There's been a couple of challenges with the stability of the solution. For example, a year ago some of the software products that were going into the switches were not functioning as expected. You cannot really fault the product for that exactly. They are nine out of ten in terms of stability. You turn them on, they work, they get along with other components, and they keep working.

Meraki is scalable but it's only seen as a stackable switch solution. The one thing is the mid-market where obviously Meraki has traditionally had most of their focus on. So, when you buy switches and you want to scale, you have to have them in switch stacks. What Meraki hasn't done — and missed a bit of an opportunity in my opinion — is they've not really developed a low form factor switching solution in the form of a chassis switch. I think that could open up a massive opportunity for Meraki in terms of being seen as more of an enterprise solution.

As far as our own scaling we have seen their numbers grow in terms of selling their solutions whereas we've seen other lines of business that decline. So, I'd say that we've definitely seen exponential growth in sales of Meraki as a solution. More and more customers whom I talk to get to the point of serious consideration and go through the finer processes of discovering what Meraki is all about. People who choose it seem to like it so much that they stick to it. I think the only time I've really seen a compelling reason for not going with Meraki is that the security with regards to firewalls is still Meraki solutions. They really don't quite compete with Cisco and their ASA (Adaptive Security Appliance) technology.

In any case, we do continue to have plans to scale our usage of this solution for us and our customers.

I have not been in contact with Meraki support directly. I do know that there are lots of different ways to actually reach out to support people. Meraki now sells different levels of supports so that you can choose a level that will fit your needs. Obviously, as partners, I've got all the contact details. There is also the Make a Wish feature within the portal that we can use to ask for a special request. They seem to be switched on in terms of what they do and how they do it. All the technicians seem young and very knowledgeable in terms of their areas of expertise.

The installation is straightforward. There are some simple rules of a sort that you have to use. And, of course, Meraki does make it easy. If the opportunity that an end-user is working on is large enough, then there may be a reason to look into training courses that Meraki offers. They offer these in order to help customers in terms of adopting, managing, and expanding their use of the technology.

A lot of configuration can be done on the cloud before actually having the switches go live. When the switches go live and the license has been activated, then you actually push the configurations on to the switches. From that point of view, I think it is just a great mentality that Meraki has got now around using the portal.

Of course, as partners, we do our own implementations. Our clients often need assistance from our side or from integrators for the deployments. A lot of the time our position with clients is more advisory. The customers know what they know. What they don't know and understand is what they haven't seen before. Some customers like to just dive in and try and work it out for themselves. I've seen clients on the other end of the spectrum where they need help in terms of redoing IP addressing schemes. What they need is some assistance with regards to making sure that it is all configured correctly and doing testing as they are doing the migration from one type of switch to another type of switch. The depth of our involvement all depends on the customer's skills. But even being trained as a Cisco CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be able to get straight to doing a Meraki installation.

As a reseller, evaluating options is somewhat built into the business structure. I deal with Meraki, Aruba, and Cisco around enterprise networking, security, voice, and wireless.

What other advice do I have?

My experience with Meraki goes back to the MS-1 series. That's when I first took the original Meraki training course and got the CMNA (Certified Meraki Networking Associate) certification. We got to play on the newest series of switches around at that time. Those have already gone past their lifecycle. We participate in ongoing training now and continue to get a look at the latest versions of the Meraki switches and get to know early on what is happening in terms of new development. The product is now becoming more of a hybrid with Cisco and other vendor products rather than just purely focusing on Meraki as a stand-alone solution.

If I have any advice for people considering the product, it is to jump on board and don't look back. If you're after a platform that is completely cloud compatible, a solution that will allow you to manage it from anywhere you need to be, then it's definitely a step in the right direction going forward. Meraki seems to cover most things. It takes away the need for CLI (Command-line Interface) which is obviously an aging technology that people were using a decade ago. Now it is a web-based interface and it is available on many different devices. You can now take management anywhere you go. How you push it out affects what you can do with it. Visibility and control are fantastic from Meraki.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Meraki switches as an eight out of ten. How good it serves a purpose depends on the use case. For different use cases and different scenarios, I'd give it a different rating. For example, if it is deployed for a data center, then I would rate Meraki very low because the product is not designed to be a data center switch. If I'm using it for total visibility in terms of applications and controls and what is happening on a network, then I rate it very high. For that, I'd give it as much as a 10. Its rating is all about the use case.

Network Administrator at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is stable and the technical team always solves our issues
  • "The solution has been very stable so far."
  • "It could be easier to use and easier to implement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for connecting desktops to LAN.

What is most valuable?

I like the feature that allows us to copy conditions from one port to another.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some automation and better integration with the editing tool.

The solution has been very stable so far.

For our current state, the solution has good scalability. We have around 400 users in our company. We use five people for maintenance. We don't have immediate plans to increase our usage, but perhaps after four or five years.

The technical support is a good four out of five. Sometimes it takes some time for them to respond. Perhaps because of a backlog. But they always deal with the issues.

The initial setup was straightforward and the entire process took maybe four or five hours. We did it ourselves.

We pay an annual subscription fee.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to try the solution. Most of the features are cloud-based so it's easy to manage it from anywhere - even from your mobile. I rate the solution an eight out of ten. There are still some developments that need to be done. It's not perfect. But from a personal perspective, I can say that they are a good eight. Additional features that I would like to see included in the next release of this solution, is if they could create different teams for different standards, some API integration solutions, and other different applications. It could be easier to use and easier to implement. Perhaps they can also add automation.

Shan Anan - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 201-500 employees
User-friendly and stable with a fast responding technical support team

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for testing.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be simplified a bit.

I've been using the solution for nearly two years.

For our purposes, the solution is stable.

The solution isn't scalable.

I've had to contact technical support a few times and they have always been helpful. How long they take to respond depends on the time of the call. If I'm calling at off-office hours I can get answers quickly, but during actual office hours, there is a little bit of a delay.

We previously used HPE. We switched because we received a gift voucher after attending an IT Expo.

The initial setup is straightforward. You only need two people for deployment and maintenance.

I handled the implementation myself.

The pricing of the solution is fair. The licensing is paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We use the MS 250 and 425 series.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. Switches wise, I'm really happy with the product. It is more user-friendly than competitors and I can do everything myself. That's why I prefer it.

Sr. Presales Consultant at a integrator with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to deploy with a cloud-accessible web-based interface
  • "The management is cloud-based so you do not have to be on-premises to work with it."
  • "There is not much training available for this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers.

What is most valuable?

This is a very easy solution to deploy.

It is easy to configure using the cloud-accessible web-based interface.

What needs improvement?

The licensing would be improved if shorter terms were offered.

There is not much training available for this solution.

Better online and remote support is needed.

I would like to see support for IoT.

We need to be able to add an access point without requiring an additional controller.

I have been using this solution for one year.

This solution is quite stable but you must coordinate with a remote site where engineers have administrative access to the features. This makes it easy to repair in case of an emergency.

I have two or three projects that are using this solution. One of them has twenty-five hundred users.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward as long as you have a good technical person.

The DNA subscription is a three-year minimum term.

This solution is better than the Cisco Catalyst switches.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I definitely recommend but since it has limited information available on the web site, it is a bit difficult to configure the licensing.

Security & ICT Product Manager at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Easy to configure and deploy but is expensive
  • "The interface is great. It's easy to understand for the customer."
  • "Sometimes there's a problem with the pricing model they use. They should work to fix this."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to connect access points.

How has it helped my organization?

We are Cisco partners, so we are using this product in order to provide services to our customers. As a Cisco partner, we get support from Cisco and that's why we are using and selling this product.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to configure and to deploy.

The interface is great. It's easy to understand for the customer.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't offer anything different from any other solution. It's not a unique product.

Sometimes there's a problem with the pricing model they use. They should work to fix this.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is stable.

We primarily use the solution for small and medium customers, so we don't deal so much with scalability. For our purposes, a couple of switches are enough, in most cases.

We've never had to contact Cisco's technical support.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment takes a few days. For us, it took five days. It's more internal processes than the complexity of this solution that makes it take the amount of time it does.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model for small and medium-sized businesses.

In terms of advice to others, I'd suggest they push very hard for a discount. Other solutions are working really well, so discussion about discounts in relation to approaching customer-based projects is a good idea.

I'd rate it seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but the pricing isn't great. From a technical perspective, however, it meets all my needs.

Remigiusz Gorecki - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Center Presales Engineer at Integrated Solutions
MSP
Easy to use and learn, but it needs more configuration options and the price should be lowered
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the interface because it is very simple and easy to learn, even for somebody who hasn't seen it before."
  • "This solution is too simple for some cases, and there should be more configuration options."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is cloud management. It is very comfortable for our customers when they have a remote office and can manage the switch from the access point.

This solution is an on-premises deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The remote management from the cloud is very good.

The security features are very good.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be improved.

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

I do not recall any service action, so this solution appears to be stable.

This solution is scalable if we're talking about one component with many remote offices. However, if we're talking about a company with a large headquarters then I can find better solutions.

There are dozens of users for this solution at the company in Poland, perhaps up to one hundred.

When I contacted technical support a long time ago, it was very good. The last time I spoke with them, something had changed at it was not as good. It was not bad, either. Meraki is a simple product, so many of the service actions are a product replacement.

The initial setup of this solution is easy. It is also easy to configure and deploy.

The complexity of the deployment depends on the configuration, but it will take a maximum of an hour to deploy.

This is not a cheap solution.

What other advice do I have?

Every customer has different environments and requirements, but it's a good product for most solutions.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

PieterGrootendorst - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Consultant at GMA
MSP
Scalable solution but the deployment is restrictive and comes with problems
  • "This is an OK solution for small to medium-sized businesses with no IT staff."
  • "This product depends on a cloud connection in order to function. If you have an unstable internet connection or other connectivity issues the product will not function as expected."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for switching only because it was already in place at an organization we took over who sold Meraki. We continue to use the Meraki solution as switches on that network.

What needs improvement?

Personally, I don't like the product because I don't like the idea of losing all functionality if your license for the cloud is not current and paid or if the cloud cannot be accessed. I wouldn't recommend these switches for most organizations because the cloud-based deployment is restrictive and comes with problems. The only reason I can see choosing this product is if your organization is totally non-IT, on-premises and you are comfortable leaving IT services in the hands of somebody else.

Realistically, the pricing should be improved to match the services and features provided. This also should be enhanced so that you are able to use the product when there is no cloud connectivity.

Because of dependence on the cloud, my strongest advice to people considering this solution is to make sure you have a reliable internet connection.

As far as future improvements to the product, it is not a concern for us as we are not doing additional installations at this point and would probably hope, instead, to phase out the use of the product.

We have been using this solution only for the last year.

I have not experienced any bugs while using the product, but in trawling the internet for more information and doing some research, it seems that there can be a lot of problems with this solution. We have not experienced any of these problems ourselves.

The product is scalable and can work if you're a small to medium-sized business. I wouldn't want to use Meraki in an enterprise network. At the moment we have about six clients sites where the Meraki device is used for storage. That is a total of about 40 or so end-users.

I have not had the reason to use customer services or technical support.

We are currently using Meraki at some sites but we are also using NETGEAR. NETGEAR is our preferred switch kit. We normally would prefer not to use Meraki at all. We were forced to use it because a customer we took over already had the Meraki switches.

The initial setup can be straightforward if you don't make it too complicated by trying to do a lot of customization. The entire setup took us about four hours.

We did not use a vendor team for the implementation, we did it ourselves.

With the solution that we currently have, I think it costs about 1,200 pounds a year. They bill on a yearly basis. There are no licensing costs in addition to the standard yearly licensing fees, but of course, you have to buy the kit. It is the nature of this type of product to require that type of initial capital expenditure.

What other advice do I have?

It is very important that people considering this solution have or can implement a very reliable internet connection. The product needs this to access the cloud.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a six. It is just too limited to be rated any higher.

Alexander Ernst - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at IMP Bautest AG
Offers ability to configure multiple switches in one step which is an incredible feature
  • "This is a sophisticated product with easy configuration that can save time and effort."
  • "The pricing needs to be more competitive with other products on the market."

What is our primary use case?

We've chosen the Meraki product because the configuration is very simple. They are Cisco products, so we are sure of their reputation, the quality, the brand, the performance, and the support.

What is most valuable?

What we like best is that the product makes configuration easy. We can configure a whole bunch of switches or ports at the same time. For example, if we select 200 ports and change some parameters, these options will be applied two minutes later on every branch anywhere in the world where we have selected the switches. This ability to configure multiple switches in one step is an incredible feature.

What needs improvement?

One simple way to improve the product is to reconsider the price. They are more expensive than their competitors. You have to take into account that it is Meraki by Cisco and they know they are the best and that if you need a less expensive solution you can buy other products. If you want the best, you have to pay for it. But certainly they are a bit more expensive than the competitors.

We have been using this solution for one-and-a-half years.

For us, this product has been very stable. We have had zero problems concerning stability.

This solution is currently serving about 270 users within our company. I think the product is very scalable and it would not matter how many users we add.

I have been in touch with technical support. The support is of course in English because they are an English speaking company, but the support was all very clear to me. The resolution of our issue was easy and it took maybe about 30 minutes for issues I called about. With any problems or questions that we had, they were there to help and we had a fast resolution every time. So personally I am very happy with the support.

Before we switched to Cisco Meraki, we were using Hewlett Packard Enterprise Switches. They are not cloud-managed and it's not a software-defined network solution. I don't know if we can compare these one-to-one. But we did make the change because we thought it was a better fit for our network model and the solution was a better fit for our ultimate goals.

The initial setup was very easy. We deployed eight switches with about 350 ports. Configuration of that took about two days.

We did not need help from the vendor or an installation team. I did it by myself.

I know that Cisco is a bit more expensive than its competitors. I know that we bought a license for a three-year term and that you can get discounts based on the length of the term. However, I do not know the exact amount that we pay.

Actually, we did not consider other solutions when we decided to make the switch. I had read many things about Cisco Meraki and a lot of my colleges are using this solution. I went to visit some places that were using the solution and they showed me what it could do. I was satisfied with what my colleagues showed me about the solution when I was at their businesses and we bought the solution based on that impression.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people who are looking into this solution is that if they need a fast, scalable and easy-to-manage solution, they can buy a Cisco Meraki product. They pay the price for the quality of the product and the ease of use. It is not the cheapest, but it is the best. Maybe the time you save in configuration and use over other products is worth the extra cost.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Meraki Cisco as a nine. It is not a ten because of the price and if you give ten of ten points there is no room for improvement. Everything can improve, even the best.

Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has an automatic firmware upgrade, but it doesn't have an upgrade path for the hardware.

What is most valuable?

• All the switches managed from one dashboard, forget about CLI
  • One-click changing VLAN
  • Aggregate ports, I can easy see what is connect to each port on the switch,
  • I can see how the bandwidth is used
  • Automatic firmware upgrade
  • Adding new switch takes less than 10 minutes

How has it helped my organization?

We have about 20 switches across five offices in USA, Europe and India, and we can all manage all of them from one dashboard. No more spending time on the firmware upgrade, it is automatic, and the switches just work!

What needs improvement?

• Management
  • Maintenance
  • Support

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Unfortunately, they don't have an upgrade path, so if you need higher model, you need to buy a new one.

10/10.

10/10.

• Dell
  • Cisco
  • Arista

It is very easy, just add the switch to your dashboard network and you ready to go. And you don't need to be a network expert to do it.

We did it in-house.

• Arista
  • Juniper

What other advice do I have?

I hope they will have an upgrade path soon. For example, we bought a switch, and after two months we needed to upgrade it to the model with 10GB ports. Unfortunately Meraki said that we can upgrade because it is over 30 days, but we needed buy new switch.

Download our free Meraki MS Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022