Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

McAfee Network Security Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Network Security Platform is #10 ranked solution in top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. PeerSpot users give McAfee Network Security Platform an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. McAfee Network Security Platform is most commonly compared to Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System: McAfee Network Security Platform vs Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System. McAfee Network Security Platform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is McAfee Network Security Platform?

McAfee Network Security Platform is a uniquely intelligent security solution that discovers and blocks sophisticated threats in the network. Using advanced detection and emulation techniques, it moves beyond mere pattern matching to defend against stealthy attacks with a high degree of accuracy. This next-generation hardware platform scales to speeds of more than 40 Gbps with a single device to meet the needs of demanding networks. Our Unified Defense Architecture approach to security management streamlines security operations by combining real-time McAfee Global Threat Intelligence feeds with rich contextual data about users, devices, and applications for fast, accurate response to network-borne attacks.

McAfee Network Security Platform was previously known as McAfee NSP, IntruShield Network Intrusion Prevention System, IntruShield Network IPS.

McAfee Network Security Platform Customers

Desjardins Group, HollyFrontier, Nubia, Agbar, WNS Global Services, INAIL, Universidad de Las Américas Puebla (UDLAP), Cook County, China Pacific Insurance, Bank Central Asia, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, City of Chicago, Macquarie Telecom, Sutherland Global Services, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, United Automotive Electronic Systems

McAfee Network Security Platform Video

Archived McAfee Network Security Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

Junior Product Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good protection and good network overview with great stability
  • "Overall the solution is very good. It offers great protection and gives us a good overview of what is on the network."
  • "The management console needs to be less complex and easier to navigate."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a level of security for our organization. It can show us what's happening on our network so that we are able to monitor events effectively. We end up having to deal with many events and this helps us detect where a virus or malware is coming from. It helps buy us time so we can fight off the attack.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We would like to have a similar version that offers a bit less complexity. Currently, the settings and confirmations on the McAfee console are complex and complicated for our branches. I wouldn't describe this solution as easy to use.

The management console needs to be less complex and easier to navigate.

We've been using the solution for less than a year at this point. It's been about six months.

Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Trend Micro, Cisco and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Overall, the solution is quite stable. That said, newer versions often cause the network to move quite slowly. However, it's stable. We don't find there to be bugs or glitches. It doesn't freeze. It's pretty reliable.

The solution can scale. We have about 500 users on the solution currently. It's a pretty big number, and we're able to manage everything quite well.

We do plan to continue to use this product into the future.

We've used technical support in the past and have found them to be quite good. They're better than other competitors. They're knowledgeable and responsive. I've been satisfied with their support so far.

The initial setup was not straightforward. It was a bit complex in our case.

I can't recall how long deployment took for us.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't use an integrator or reseller to assist in the process. I was able to do it independently.

There aren't any licensing costs associated with this solution.

Although we're not currently planning on switching, if we had to, we'd probably switch to Cyber Protection. Their support is very good.

What other advice do I have?

Our company does not have a business relationship with McAfee. We're just customers at this time.

We are using the latest version of the solution, however, I'm not sure of what the version number is.

I'd recommend this solution to other organizations. It's worked well for us and we've been quite happy with it.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine. It's quite effective.

Junior Product Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Great monitoring feature and timely detection of malware

What is our primary use case?

We use a lot of the functions this solution provides such as the firewall and the ability to check aliases. We can monitor and show the traffic that's moving in and out. When we detect malware, we scan for the virus on the PC and we can decide whether to delete or block the malware. I'm a junior product consultant and we are customers of McAfee.

What is most valuable?

I like the monitoring feature where you can see all the traffic.

What needs improvement?

It's a very good solution but we would like to have a simpler version. The management component could be simplified.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is quite stable although in the latest version I've noticed that the network traffic can be quite slow. We have 500 users in our company.

The technical support is very good.

The deployment was a little difficult, I did it myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS)
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AHmadMhedat - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Security Engineer with 201-500 employees
Attack analysis shows who tries to exploit my vulnerabilities
  • "The feature I found most valuable is the network threat analyzer in the security platform. It also integrates with GTI, or Global Threat Intelligence. Otherwise, I just use the basic features."
  • "Integration with Global Thereat Intelligence could be better. Also, I think management solutions are end of life now at McAfee. Network threat analyzer may be used for endpoint quarantines. Integration between these sides, as well as endpoint APO, will help you quarantine the risky endpoints."

What is our primary use case?

I look at the attack analysis, which shows me which attackers try to exploit my vulnerabilities. I can check the ticket to see if it's blocked or whether it's a false positive. Whatever the case, if it already exists, I will block it. McAfee IPS has a benign engine, so this may not be a target in your environment. If you just prevent attackers from using it, they will try another vulnerability.

I have physical routers, but they try to make some novel vulnerabilities. This is not applicable to my environment, so when I see this alert I know it's a false positive not related to my environment. In some cases, I change the action of these alerts or attacks to block. This is what happened in one of the use cases I take advantage of from IPS. I got an alert about some attacks in my environment, regarding the SPAN port and server traffic. I saw it and I detected the source point of this attack.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved my security by stopping an attack to the signature base, or the behavior base. This is what I use Network Security Platform for.

What is most valuable?

The feature I found most valuable is the network threat analyzer in the security platform. It also integrates with GTI, or Global Threat Intelligence. Otherwise, I just use the basic features.

What needs improvement?

Integration with Global Thereat Intelligence could be better. Also, I think management solutions are end of life now at McAfee. Network threat analyzer may be used for endpoint quarantines. Integration between these sides, as well as endpoint APO, will help you quarantine the risky endpoints.

Maybe they should add a feature to block all high severity threats. You cannot block all of them now. I would like to select them all and block then in one action. In crunch data situations, you need to go through every attack one at a time and change the action.

We have been using this solution for around two years.

It is stable. Network security manager previews might have some bugs, such as compiler or vulnerability issues. I did upgrade two or three times because of these issues. The first time I did it for a services issue. I opened a case with the McAfee support team and they allowed me to upgrade it to another version.

After I upgraded it, I faced a compiler issue. That was with version 9.2.7.22. Maybe this was a bug in the software or something else, but just they recommended for me to upgrade to version 9.2.9.12. That is what I did. Those were the issues I faced with McAfee Network Security Platform.

In terms of high-security attacks, not all of them are developed. You cannot do a rule that includes all high severities. In this aspect, I am confused about McAfee.

It's easy to scale with this solution. After two years of experience, I'm responsible for the Network Security Platform. I think it's easy.

My customers are huge. They are banking size or enterprise. The biggest one has around 5,200 users.

If we would rate technical support from one to ten, they would be an eight.

I haven't used another product, but we have a built-in feature with Palo Alto. They have a built-in IPS, professional anti-spyware, and anti-virus. That is also the case with FortiGate. It is built in. In terms of standalone network security platforms, I only have experience with McAfee. I know there are some other vendors working as a standalone IPS, like Cisco Sourcefire and Trend Micro TippingPoint, but I don't work with them either. I think the business firewall has a good chance of dealing with any threats without an IPS.

For the initial setup, you should be using the database. Enter the user name and password for these databases. Make a management IP for core components between Network Security Manager and IPS sensor. After you enter the CLI for the setup, there is a wizard view to enter the IP address of the management interface for the IPS sensor. The gateway, manager IP address, and peer manager IP address share secret keys, which should exist in the manager before you set up your IP sensor. After that, you have a left channel and packet channel between IPS sensor and network security manager over port 8501, 8502, and 8503. Another port should be opened for your firewall if there is a firewall or layer three devices between these two components to be managed from Network Security Manager. This is the first general installation of Network Security Manager after making the configurations. This is the initial setup. After that, you will have to try to make the policies: ITS policies, mindware policies, condition limiting policies, firewall policies, and advanced policies. This is what will happen. Then there is also customizing dashboards and tuning.

I worked as a system integrator and deployed it for the customer. Most of these customers are in critical areas, so downtime needs to be low and they might want the deployment time to be improved, but overall the time during all the setup takes me between two and three days.

From my company's side, I work alone to deploy. From the customer side, maybe two or three engineers are involved. Then there might be one or two people to handle maintenance, but McAfee is responsible for their product maintenance most of the time.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid to deploy this solution. It is very simple and easy to deploy. I think there is no issue. I tested on the McAfee Network Security Platform. You just need to thinking carefully about attacks to decide if it's a sole attacker or two specific attacks. Use that information to create a decision about what action to take against the attack. Consider whether you want to lock off or block the action.

Maybe I can improve myself in some of my web analysis. I read articles to improve my knowledge in this area. This is what I do to improve my experience.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

SmadiHuthaifa - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Engineer at Advanced Technology
An easily customizable solution to deploy sensors
  • "The most valuable features are the customization of the signature and the unlimited amount of signatures in IPS."
  • "The solution needs to improve the graphical interface. And they had a limitation in some of the sensor modems as well."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to deploy sensors. We have two use cases: to predict the anomalous behavior and to predict the normal threshold for our network.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the customization of the signature and the unlimited amount of custom signatures in IPS.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve the graphical interface. They had a limitation in some of the sensor modems as well. You probably need to buy a big model to get the solution in line. They don't give you the big model by default. During deployment, since everything goes down, all the traffic will be down. You have high variability compared to others. You need to deploy a lot of sensors and figure out the best practices. This may cost you a lot.

I think they should have a correlation of the IA deployment or IA policies. They should improve their policies to get the correlation and the variables from one policy.

I've been using the solution for one year.

Technical support was good, but can be improved. You need to send the ticket to a higher authority to get what you need. They need improvement in the first tier of technical support.

This is the first IPS solution we are using.

Deployment depends on the environment, on one of our projects, a minimum of four to seven months. You need about three people minimum for the deployment. We are defining service use agreements, and the support comes out and does preventative maintenance for two visits every month. For maintenance, you only need one person.

I have a team, and we handle implementation and deployment ourselves.

We looked at the Cisco IPS solution and found that they have multiple issues. If you want to submit or monitor anything in ASA, you should have a route to source the IPS engine. This is too difficult to deploy for most users.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution eight out of ten. They have inefficient sensor hardware and you need to uninstall a lot of third party software to improve the graphical interface - like JavaScript or something like that.

Security Analyst at IT Convergence
The IPS has proven that it can find events and items, which previously went under the radar
  • "The ability to centrally manage all the IPS sensors, track the different security events generated by it, and customize the different policies, depending on their location."
  • "The Network Security Managers could be more stable, agile, and work faster. When it comes to instability, there is room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to enhance security on our EDGE network in all of our remote offices, as well as our data centers

How has it helped my organization?

We feel safer now. We are currently enhancing all of our network security. The IPS has proven that it can find events and items, which previously went under the radar.

We are definitely detecting things that we knew were always there, but couldn't see them before. We have seen a big increase in reaction time.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like the ability to apply more filters or better customize reports in order to display information in a readable way. That would be nice.

Still implementing.

The tool is pretty stable when it comes to the IPS sensors. They mostly work in custom mode. They help in not generating any type of disruption in the service ever.

The scalability is great. You can keep adding sensors, depending on the need or the throughput that you will be handling. The tool allows you to grow it and keep adding components to it.

The technical support is pretty good for the most part. It is sort of hit or miss. When you call in, they usually are able to help you fairly quickly. Or, they escalate the issue to their DevOps team, if you help them find a bug or it's a problem with the tool.

This is our first IPS technology that we deployed in our EDGE network. We are users of other McAfee tools. We wanted everything to be able to talk to each other. We want everything to be compatible and centrally managed. That is why we went for this McAfee Network Security Platform.

Once you learn the ropes and understand how the deployment functions, the initial setup was pretty straightforward. The tool has made it quite easy.

We did it ourselves. We bought the solution, educated ourselves, and are in the process of finishing the deployment.

I did not handle the purchasing, but I believe it cost $15,000. There is an additional support fee, but I don't know how much it is.

We also looked at Cisco and Palo Alto.

The centrally managed solution allows for control of the tool and policies in a more straightforward manner. I would imagine other tools would take longer to do the same thing that we are doing now with this, even with a new security team.

What other advice do I have?

This product is helping us grow, as we have a newly created security operations team.

Download our free Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Trend Micro, Cisco, and more!
Updated: September 2022