IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Longview CPM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Business Performance Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Longview CPM?
Longview is a single repository of accurate information for your entire enterprise Ð solving a complex challenge in today's global environment. With accurate information you can begin to see how and where value is being created within your organization and in turn, make informed decisions about the future direction of your enterprise.

Longview CPM was previously known as Longview.

Longview CPM Customers
24 Hour Fitness, Casella Waste Systems inc., Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Edinburgh Woollen Mill, WEC Business Services, Loyola Marymount University, RSA, Tribal Group plc, Trustmark Insurance Corporation, Loyola Marymount University, Trustmark Insurance Corporation, GATX, Lexmark,

Archived Longview CPM Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user221853 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Lead Onsite at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The database setup is a pain initially, but once it's done everything works fine.

What is most valuable?

The ability to report multi-dimensionally and the scalability.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool is mainly used for forecasting, and it will, for sure, help all the organizations that need data/reports on expenses and headcount forecasting.

What needs improvement?

This could be made more developer friendly, and could include the ability to implement automation scripts.

I have used it for more than four years.

Business Performance Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Longview, Oracle, Wolters Kluwer and others in Business Performance Management. Updated: July 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The application was stable most of the time.

Scalability was very good in this product.

It's very good and quick.

They're good and efficient.

The initial set up was complex and painful, both with respect to database setup and the execution script.

We used a vendor team who were very good.

What other advice do I have?

This product is good, but from a developer stand point, you will end up in writing more scripts. I would advise to do automation, as most of the jobs can be automated.

I'm not sure why this old post is just coming through now (3/31/2016). Many jobs can be automated using a combination of Event triggers, AF code and Rules. This review was based on 7.0.3. The current version is 7.2 which is far more robust.

Sr. Business Analyst at Archer Daniels Midland Company
The simplicity and customization are the distinct features but the ability to inspect details easily would be nice.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity and customization are the distinct features.

How has it helped my organization?

Khalix is a simple tool that builds on existing data sources to develop solutions in forecasting, planning and consolidation needs. I've used this tool to build a position reporting system that help traders and managers to make informed decision in risk management. I also developed a dashboard that showed forecast margins and KPIs for operations. It standardized the reports and charts for users across my organization with less effort

What needs improvement?

The link between underlying details, upfront reports, and charts is weak. However, as a simple top end tool, the display details is not its purpose. However, having a way of easily inspecting details would add to its functionality.

I used Khalix (the last version before upgraded to Longview 7) from 2008 to 2014.

The biggest challenge was the data ETL (Extract, Transform and Loading) process. There is fewer built in architecture out-of-box, so I had to build this from scratch. Having some templates out-of-box might reduce the development cycle significantly.

With only 400+ users, we hardly had any stability issues. Most downtime was server related and not specific to the software.

9/10 as they are a very user friendly customer service team and they are always responsive and promoting the exchange of new ideas.

6/10 as the consultant team was not providing us with good practices. For some work, we have had to redo what they have done. Some consultant are more knowledgeable than others.

No previous solution used.

It was a straightforward set up as Khalix is based on eight dimensions. This makes it straightforward when mapping data but there is some complexity when deal with static data.

We worked side-by-side with a vendor team. I'd highly recommend to do it this way for an easier hand-over. As mentioned above, the vendor teams expertise wasn't up to expectations. They didn't provide the best practice at first. We have had to re-work some of the project.

The original cost is set to use enterprise wide but the users growth is too slow to justify the cost. That's one of the reasons we stopped using this tool.

Yes. They're SAP BI and IBM Congros.

What other advice do I have?

Three key elements to consider when adopt this tool:

1. Have a strong database team that build fast and reliable data sources as ETL tools are important
  2. Put together a strong and convincing business case to justify the project. How many users will be benefiting from your project is important
  3. Good training on admin, developer and users to ensure the usage justifies the cost and benefits
Business Performance Management
July 2022
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr. Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Web based reporting could have a better user interface and functions but the setup is straightforward.

What is most valuable?

1. Sophisticated Modelling Capabilities
  2. Fast, accurate, and flexible financial planning and reporting
  3. Powerful currency translation and easy application maintenance

How has it helped my organization?

Constant Rate Reporting across the entire organization became easy.

What needs improvement?

Web based reporting can have better user interface and functions.

I have used this solution for the last nine years.

No, deployment is easy.

Only a few times did we encounter issues with stability and the cause was that the product hardware configuration was not up to date with the increased volume and user base. New versions are better than older versions.

No issues encountered.

8/10 - They are a very prompt and knowledgeable customer service support.

8/10.

I have not personally used it, but organizations that used TM1 earlier switched to Longview because that tool was not meeting some of the organizations needs.

It's straightforward but one needs to be an administrator in order to do the setup

I have implemented the product through both vendor team and in house one. I would rate vendor team at 8/10.

Yes, we also looked at TM1, and Hyperion.

What other advice do I have?

This product offers wide range of corporate performance management tools for powerful financial consolidation, planning and reporting.

it_user203826 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Functional Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The system is pretty stable but it should have an added application for databases.

What is most valuable?

Longview for Excel is of utmost importance.

How has it helped my organization?

Well certainly this product has helped many finance users in the organization as this product enables them to see the numbers for any cost center and business unit and also get a consolidated view of group level numbers.

What needs improvement?

It should definitely have an added application for databases. Why I am saying this is because I was a hard core user of Hyperion application at one point in time and I have worked as an administrator on it. So if you compare it with Oracle then Longview isn't that user friendly.

I've use it for two and a half years.

I was part of the administration team and also joined the organisation much later when it was already implemented.

The system is pretty stable, but since it's technology, you cannot completely run away from issues. At the same point in time the issues were manageable, and we never came across a situation wherein we completely shut down the application from users interface.

Not really.

6/10.

8/10.

I am an employee with the organization, prior to this I was working with WNS as a Hyperion system administrator. I shifted due to personal reasons but not due to the system.

No idea about this, but we do have license costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

In a country like India, which is one of the most emerging markets and there's a huge scope and demand for new systems, tools and BI applications and when companies like Oracle and SAP are coming with newly innovated Financial Management tools which are very expensive and can be used only by bigger organizations who can afford it. I would think India can be a successful market for Longview as they can provide their services to SMEs.

Download our free Business Performance Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Longview, Oracle, Wolters Kluwer, and more!
Updated: July 2022