CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We are able to configure and deploy virtual machines on-the-fly, and the setup is straightforward compared to the big providers
  • "It is also important that Linode offers worldwide coverage via multiple data centers. The ability to deploy on multiple servers, worldwide, allows us to have distributed services and failover and redundancy."
  • "It would be helpful if they provided the additional Linux distributions that I prefer using. But there is still a workaround. I can do it without direct support. It's a bit more complicated, but it can still be done."

What is our primary use case?

In the beginning I needed something to host domain name services for the domain name that I had registered. I also use it for email and file sharing. We were pioneers in that regard, in April 2008, going fully online for the company, with everybody working from home and interacting through the platform that we set up with Linode.

How has it helped my organization?

Linode's services accelerated our company's innovation, in a way. It facilitated this transition where, right now, everybody is working from home. But in April 2008, very few companies were doing so. We were able to do so because of their services and because they made it so easy to configure and set up.

Linode has saved us money compared to what we would pay other cloud providers, absolutely. It's hard to tell how much we have saved because we've only evaluated the others, we haven't really full-scale used them. At some point our own service was co-located with a provider, which was a different model, but that certainly was far more expensive, three to four times more expensive.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable and important thing is that it is a hosting platform where I can configure and deploy virtual machines on-the-fly.

It is also important that Linode offers worldwide coverage via multiple data centers. The ability to deploy on multiple servers, worldwide, allows us to have distributed services and failover and redundancy. We added some features to our platform that leveraged that and helped us do it in a distributed manner.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if they provided the additional Linux distributions that I prefer using. But there is still a workaround. I can do it without direct support. It's a bit more complicated, but it can still be done.

Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
February 2024
Find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Google and others in Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS). Updated: February 2024.
756,650 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I opened an account with them in April 2008.

I haven't used it for the whole of those 13 years. There have been some interruptions for a while when I haven't needed the service. But I have used it pretty much throughout that period.

So far the stability has been very good. We have never had unplanned downtime.

There has been planned downtime, but that was announced well in advance, whenever they had to roll out patches to hardware and software. We were notified a month, or sometimes even more than a month, in advance. So we were fine in preparing

And whenever they have had a failure, they seem to have a very good predictive failure system that notifies them. So even then, they gave us two or three days' notice about the need to restart environments. It's been good.

For what we need the scalability is fine. The platform gives us all the computing power required. When we scale our solution up, we have features in our own solution that help us leverage multiple distributed environments and multiple machines. So we do not need support from the provider for this. It's not like we need any kind of clustering solution from outside our company. We do that kind of thing ourselves.

We are happy with what they provide, but others probably would need more in terms of scalability.

All our employees, about 30 people, are working from home, so everybody is connecting to this platform. We are building enterprise-level software for supply chain planning for other companies. It's not only our own employees who connect to do their regular day-to-day jobs, but we also deploy an environment for our customers, which they connect to and run data integration on. With our customer users, there are about another 50 users.

We plan to increase usage of Linode, absolutely. As we grow, as we get more customers of our own, we will configure and deploy more environments to serve them.

Their 24/7/365, no-tiered, human customer support is very important, although we very rarely use it. But it's important to know that there's somebody there, in extreme cases, that we can reach and talk to.

Their support is 100 percent very good. Whenever we needed their support they were there for us and they provided everything we needed. When it comes to the flexibility and overall responsiveness of Linode, compared to the other major cloud providers I have worked with, they're great. I don't know how big Linode is, but they certainly are a big company, yet they still give you the impression of a mom-and-pop shop, where you have direct personal service. You're not interacting with a big corporation with a technical support center somewhere overseas. The interaction gives a very personal feeling and it's great.

I was looking for a very simple solution provider. I'm not looking for a complex solution added on top of that. That's why I use Linode instead of Amazon Web Services or Google. Being a technical person myself, it's easier to get the basic thing and to configure it the way I want, as opposed to a less sophisticated person who would want all the additional services on top to help them navigate through things.

The initial setup is very clear and straightforward. I've been using Amazon Web Services too, because I was interacting with another company and they had set up with Amazon Web Services. Comparing them, I find Linode more straightforward and to the point. With Amazon it was very hard to figure out everything you need.

To set up an environment using Linode, the part that has to be done using the Linode tools, takes less than an hour. Of course, there's the actual configuration of the environment in addition, but that would have to happen on any platform. But having the environment positioned and ready to go doesn't take long at all.

Recently, I've been looking at Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services, and we have also used Azure, and I'm still far more happy with Linode than any of those. Surprisingly, Azure has been better than Google and Amazon, but not that much.

One key difference is that pricing is very hard to come by and to understand with all the bigger companies. Their pricing models are so weird and it's hard to figure out exactly how much I am going to pay for this kind of service. Everything is piecemeal. With Linode, it's simple and straightforward. You know exactly what you will have to pay at the end of the day.

What other advice do I have?

Everybody's needs are different, but if you have the level of technical knowledge, and if you're looking for a simple, straightforward solution, where you are able to configure and customize it to the way you want it, Linode is the ideal platform. They provide you with the support in that regard. If you don't have the technical capabilities in-house and you need more support from the provider to deploy more elaborate solutions, then maybe others would be a better fit. But as long as you have the in-house technical capabilities, Linode is a better fit, in my opinion.

It does what we want it to do. Over the years they have grown and implemented many features. There isn't anything in particular that I would request from them. The services have always been very effective and quick.

Founder at Atmosphere
Nice cloud management panel and easy to create new servers, but there is no managed database feature or role-based access control
  • "The cloud management panel is nice."
  • "They don't have role-based access control, which is problematic for us."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases involve their virtual server (VPS) solutions, which we have used since we first started with them. They also have a wonderful DNS service, and we use that as well.

For most of their existence, VPS is more or less what they have been providing.

How has it helped my organization?

We're happy that it works, and we're happy that we have never had to contact them. They have been proactively managing hardware issues and network issues for us. These are all nice things and these are reasons we're keeping using Linode and not going elsewhere.

That said, we're moving part of our business from Linode to one of the local companies because of regulations in privacy laws. In Turkey, we have to serve local, Turkish customers using a local provider because by regulation, we're not allowed to move certain kinds of data out of the country. This means that we're obliged to use one of the local companies, but otherwise, for our global services, we intend to keep using Linode.

Considering the features we use, I would not say that we're an extensive user. For example, we don't use volumes, object storage, or Kubernetes. We do have a number of servers and we're using the DNS service exclusively. We don't have any other DNS servers.

What is most valuable?

The cloud management panel is nice.

It's very easy to create new servers.

The VPS and DNS servers work smoothly and we're happy with what we have.

It is important that Linode offers worldwide coverage through multiple data centers, although for us, if they covered only Europe and the U.S., we would be fine with it.

What needs improvement?

They don't provide managed databases so when we need one, we have to build and install a server and manage the database by ourselves. This is an important feature for us that should be added. Currently, the object storage and volumes features are insufficient for our needs. We need an actual database.

They have recently started to provide cloud firewall service on some of their data centers but it's not widely available yet. This is something that would be nice to have, although it's not very important.

Having a load-balancer feature would be nice, and I have been reading that this is something that they have been working on for the past few years. It's surprising that they're very slow when it comes to implementing certain features.

They don't have role-based access control, which is problematic for us. Imagine a case where you have multiple departments and you have a number of servers and you want to give limited access to some departments or some people. You just can't do that. Another example is that when you have an additional user account on your panel, that user will have access to everything. They will be able to reboot servers, modify DNS records, or do dangerous things that you don't need them to or want them to. Role-based access control is something that Amazon provides, Google provides, and Azure provides, and it's unfortunate that it is not available as a feature.

I have been using Linode for approximately 16 years, close to the entire time that they have existed.

Linode has been very reliable for us. We have had no downtime in the past year and during the past ten years, I think that we have had less than 20 minutes of downtime in total. Stability-wise, it is awesome.

Linode is not very easy to scale.

The Kubernetes cluster feature is nice and I suppose that it is easy to manage, but we don't use it.

In the case we need some performance, we have API access and we can create servers on-demand, but Linode's cloud doesn't really compare to Amazon's offerings. They don't have anything comparable to Amazon's Lambda. It's a function as a service. It's a new paradigm, basically. It's called serverless computing. Linode doesn't provide this or anything close to this. It's a leap forward in the industry, and it's another thing that is missing from Linode. It could be a problem for some people but not for us.

In terms of scalability, we're happy with what we have because we usually scale slowly. It's not like we're going to have a few million more customers on our doorstep in less than an hour. It's going to go up slowly for us, so we can anticipate and plan against it and we can create new servers or scale-out infrastructure by keeping track of it and doing much of the work manually.

Ultimately, Linode does not help us scale up. We do most of the work manually. If, however, they provided a managed database, we could scale more easily, which would be nice.

Linode provides 24/7, 365, no-tiered human customer support, but it is not important to us at all. We're mostly self-sufficient. Also, in case something goes wrong, I understand that they have a team that tracks downtimes, outages, and other problems. They usually respond to problems before we need to talk to someone.

The support is proactive in this regard and so far during the whole time, the 16 years we've worked with them, we never had to talk to a human being, not even once.

Depending on the project, we still use servers by other providers. For example, we have a small number of servers on Rackspace and DigitalOcean. We have a number of servers on Google Cloud, as well.

In our previous projects, we used Amazon a lot. We don't use them anymore, however, because we don't need to.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

You start by creating a user account, then you enter a credit card number and you create a server and you're good to go. For anyone in their target customer base, they would find it very easy to become a customer or create a user.

The last time I did this, it took three or four minutes.

The pricing is nice for us. It is a little cheaper than Google or Amazon, more or less on par with the other competitors.

The pricing model is very straightforward and it suits us. It may not suit everyone, but it suits us. The pricing model is easy to understand.

At this point, the pricing is not very important for us. We would be happy to pay between 20% and 50% more if there were a number of features available. Unfortunately, they're not available and have not been so for a very long time.

We don't use Amazon or Google or Microsoft Azure, but if we decided to use them, Linode would have saved us a significant amount of money. We're probably paying 30% of what we would have paid to Amazon or Google.

The other providers do have additional features but we choose to stay with Linode because it's slightly cheaper. Also, we are used to Linode. When we first started doing business, everyone was building their own database servers and we got used to this model. We don't want to change providers for this alone but if Linode provided this feature, we would definitely use it.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use these Kubernetes or Docker deployments and we have no intention to use them. They are recent features, available for perhaps the past three or four years, and we don't plan to use them.

My advice for others who are looking into Linode is that if they only need DNS and VPS and maybe self-managed Kubernetes, Linode is one of the best because it's so reliable. To me, it's like a bridge. You buy it, and you don't think about it for years. For us, that was the experience.

We're technically capable of managing our own hardware, so Linode is just taking away the burden of managing hardware by ourselves. This leaves us to manage our own service and software. If people are basically looking for VPS solutions and Kubernetes, they're like a bridge. Linode is so reliable that you won't need to talk to any customer service agent, and they are one of the best globally.

In summary, Linode needs to expand its portfolio of features. It's pretty basic currently, and while it's nice to be basic, some people like us need more features. We actually need them and if we had the incentive to move to somewhere else, we would consider it. We currently don't have an incentive, because our business is not growing explosively. However, if we had to grow quickly and have a huge number of users, of course, we would have to think about managed databases and load-balancers and firewalls and role-based access control, and the other features that are missing on Linode. We would have to migrate to somewhere else. Currently, we don't have that problem.

We have been a happy customer, most of the time.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
February 2024
756,650 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AliRaza4 - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate MERN Stack Web Developer at Bikter Tech
A low-cost solution, easy to deploy, has latency issues
  • "Linode has many other cloud servers across the globe."
  • "Our primary concern is always the latency."

What is our primary use case?

We have a product named StarBazaar, so we are using it for that. It is a B2B e-commerce platform.

What is most valuable?

Linode has many other cloud servers across the globe. We were hoping to get the fastest cloud services.
The most valuable features are the speed and pricing which are comparatively less than Google Cloud and other clouds.

What needs improvement?

Our primary concern is always the latency. We were having latency problems for quite a few days now. The solution can improve by deploying better servers.

I have been using the solution for one year.

Sometimes the solution gets a little slower and sometimes it's out of coverage as well. That's the reason we lost some of our potential customers and I was searching for other clouds.

For now, it's scalable for our product, but basically, we are moving towards bigger products so we want to have bigger servers and more storage.

We haven't encountered any problems or issues on the server and have not required support.

The solution is easier to use and easier to deploy. I give the deployment an eight out of ten for ease.

The solution has many plans. Currently, we are at $40 a month but they have costly solutions as well. We are on a shared server for now.

I was just given the price for the solution and it was less than the other solutions on AWS and other servers.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution seven out of ten.

We were hoping to get the fastest cloud services so that's the reason I was searching around for a better platform to deploy our application.

The faster the website is the more the customers stay on our website or the web applications, The higher the speed the more secure the network with the latest tools and technologies. So we were trying to move our team to some other cloud and learn new tech stack and technology.

Linode doesn't require maintenance but our apps require maintenance. We set up the server a year ago and are still using the same one.

For now, the solution is suitable for our enterprise but we are hoping to improve the servers and that is why we are looking at other options.

Private Cloud

Other
reviewer1511274 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Director at HMW Computing
Easy to set up and scale, cost-effective with a flexible pricing model
  • "The most valuable features are the simple scalability and ease of starting a new virtual machine."
  • "The only improvement in this aspect of the service which I can think of is perhaps a pool of developers who could be hired for those cases where the need goes beyond the support offered."

What is our primary use case?

The Linode servers we have are all running Ubuntu.

We have several client websites, including several with active eCommerce options, that act as large document management systems for academic journals.

For our own use, we have a major business wiki, which we use for project planning, ISO900 compliance, and contact management, etc.

For all the sites, we also run email services, which are so simple to set up that we don't charge our clients extra to use as many as they like. We offer a webmail system with calendars, address books, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Putting everything onto Linode has streamlined what we do, but with minimal risk, as we have a "clone" virtual server ready for action. We have developed scripts that make the monitoring and maintenance of the Linode virtual machines very easy, with statistics and other reports regularly emailed to a support desk throughout the day. Often, we know of any issues before the clients have noticed.

We don't make use of Linode's own backup, as we have overnight jobs that use SFTP to download essential data to a RAID array on our local network. However, we also use the Linode servers themselves as off-site storage for data generated on our local machines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the simple scalability and ease of starting a new virtual machine. Before we kept a backup, we did damage to an existing installation. We created a new machine and had the basic services back up within a short time. Now, we keep a powered-down server as a hot backup, although this does mean that we occasionally have to power it up for updates. We are looking at means of simplifying this task.

The procedures to upgrade between Linux versions are reasonably simple, but those could be a result of using Ubuntu rather than being specific to Linode.

What needs improvement?

The support service and knowledge articles supplied by Linode are very comprehensive but inevitably there are situations where a user, particularly is a "newbie" is left on his or her own.

The only improvement in this aspect of the service which I can think of is perhaps a pool of developers who could be hired for those cases where the need goes beyond the support offered. Offering this as a service would enhance the product.

All of our servers have been configured and upgraded by our own staff, which has been a good training exercise, although at times on very tight schedules when a little guidance would have helped. I do realize this is beyond the normal remit of support, which is why I am suggesting a separate pool. Perhaps Linode could approve third-party providers and take a commission of the work provided?

We have been using Linode for more than seven years.

We did use another solution prior to this, but the provider was forced to close down. It was a small organisation and didn't have the proper resources to upgrade all of its equipment when needed. The effort of maintaining a mixed server room proved too much. In fact they recommended that I moved to Linode after they announced they eventual termination of their service.

All of it is very easy to install.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance. They are responsible for the configuration and upgrades.

Pricing is very good and flexible, according to the resources required.

We did evaluate other products, however, at this remove, I cannot remember the alternatives that we looked at.

Co-Founder at Menze
Reseller
Helpful support, simple to manage, good visibility of usage statistics
  • "The simplicity by which you can handle your inventory is one of the things I like the most."
  • "It would be nice if they had more data centers in Latin America."

What is our primary use case?

I have two use cases. I work mostly by developing e-commerce sites for companies and the first use case is to develop the infrastructure, the hosting solution for those e-commerce platforms. This is done mostly in Magento, WordPress, Drupal, and other open-source platforms.

We also have our own solution, which we host in Linode. It is a software as a service platform that connects Mercado Libre with Zendesk, which are two separate companies, and we join them through middleware.

How has it helped my organization?

Linode offers a relatively small but well-focused set of cloud services, which is important to us because while they only offer the basics, they do it very clearly and very easily. They have simple pricing, good support, and good guides to help you. Most small companies like ours don't use most of the features that other cloud computing providers offer, so having a simpler set of features makes it easier for us to handle.

Linode offers worldwide coverage via multiple data centers, although it is not very important for our use case because we work mostly in Latin America. There is not much coverage here, so we use the USA data centers. We don't have any customers in other parts of the world, such as in Africa, Asia, or Europe, so coverage elsewhere is not really important.

Having a reliable partner like Linode has helped us to rapidly grow our infrastructure, and they were able to focus when we have had any kind of problem.

This product has absolutely helped us to accelerate innovation, for example, when we had to migrate the architecture of our SaaS solution. It was really easy to deploy new hosts and make the necessary changes to our infrastructure so that they could communicate between themselves and the outside. Whenever we had a problem, we were able to contact Linode and they helped us. For example, there were some technical specifications that we were missing. We also used the guides that they provided to secure the servers and to communicate with them. I believe it was done quite quickly, in fact, because of the help that they provide.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity by which you can handle your inventory is one of the things I like the most. You can easily create new hosts, destroy existing hosts, or do migrations.

I like the statistics that they provide, such as usage.

They have a good solution for accessing the servers if you accidentally get locked out.

The support they provide if you have any type of problem is great.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they had more data centers in Latin America.

Although not for our use case, I believe others would benefit from having support in other languages. For example, in this region, there are people who speak Spanish and Portuguese. This is the same for the guides, where having translated versions would be helpful.

I have been using Linode for approximately six years.

We use Linode on a daily basis, or at least very often.

The stability is quite good, although it's not perfect. We have had perhaps two problems in the six years that we have been using it. In these cases, the whole data center was down for a short time. I don't remember how long, but it was perhaps an hour or two. For us, its stability is acceptable.

For our very small company, it's completely elastic. I don't expect that we have much growth ahead but I think it will be completely flexible. At this point, I have tested having more than a few servers at a time.

At this time, it's only me who is working with Linode.

The fact that Linode offers 24/7/365 no-tiered, human support is very important to us because our services run 24/7, and like most technology, problems can arise at any time. If you have the type of problem where you believe that there's something wrong with an upper level of the infrastructure, it would be very difficult if you couldn't access support on their end, for example during a weekend or at night. For situations where you have a critical event going on, 24/7 assistance is obviously very important.

I have used other cloud platforms in the past, although I have never contacted support for them. The services that I have used are GoDaddy, DigitalOcean, LatinCloud (previously known as EL Server), and Amazon a few times.

I switched to Linode for simplicity and pricing. Also, I believe in open-source software, which is what I primarily use, and I believe that Linode is aligned with that vision, as well.

Now that I have been using it, I am very happy and don't see any reason to change.

I believe that Linode has saved us money compared to other cloud providers, but I haven't studied the figures to see how much this might be.

The initial setup is straightforward. It was just a few clicks to get started.

The first time we had to create an account, we filled out a form and put in our information. It included our name, email address, password, and so forth. Then, to deploy Linode takes another two or three clicks. It couldn't be easier.

Of course, then you have to configure it, but the actual deployment is as easy as it gets and it takes only a couple of minutes to complete. For configuration, the length of time it takes depends on what it is that you want to do. However, for a basic setup, it might take 15 minutes. You can also save templates for cases where you want to use the same type of configuration. Often, you can configure very quickly with no time for configuration, because the saved configuration can be deployed.

There is support for deployment using the API, although we have never done it that way. I expect that using the API would only mean that it takes a few seconds to deploy.

We have seen ROI because this is a cost for us, and compared to other solutions, it minimizes the cost and generates a positive income.

The pricing model is simple and that's important to us because, for example, Amazon is really complex and you have to spend a lot of time to understand how much you are going to spend on a certain solution. It's great for us to be able to simply add a few numbers and know how much we expect to spend.

There are costs in addition to the standard licensing fees to include things like extra public IPs and backup services. I believe that additional public IPs cost $1 each. As I recall, everything is documented on their pricing page and there are no hidden fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Linode is to try it out. It worked for us and I think it would work very well for any users that do have the technical knowledge to take care of the system administration. If you're technical and looking for a stable solution then you should try it because it's easy to use. They do offer a managed solution as well, although it's not as easy as utilizing a web hosting company.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Linode is the importance when it comes to thinking about all of the points of failure. In particular, which ones you control and which ones you don't, and whether you have to rely on a partner, like them. We did experience downtime on a couple of occasions and it was really bad for us, so pay specific attention to that and be aware of the risks.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller/Partner
Principal Engineer DevOps at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Minimizes risk and helps to scale services in no time
  • "It has helped to minimize the risk and scale services at large in virtually no time."
  • "Its cost can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are hosting Linux virtual machines and load balancers over there. This is the infrastructure we have over there. Apart from that, we are using a firewall from the Linode side. These are the three Linode components that we are using.

We have not explored Linode too much. We are just restricted to VMs, load balancers, and the firewall. We are currently not hosting a lot over there. We are not facing any challenges with it. We are looking into hosting some replicated storage there.

What is most valuable?

It has helped to minimize the risk and scale services at large in virtually no time. This is how the cloud supported us. Earlier, we were in our own data center. It was in-house infrastructure, but we moved over to the cloud. It allows us to scale services as the demand increases over time.

What needs improvement?

Its cost can be improved.

I have been using Linode for almost four to five years.

We never had any problem with scalability while using AWS, Azure, or Linode.

I would rate their support an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Before Linode, we used Azure. We have used AWS. Both Azure and AWS have too many offerings. They have different types of offerings in terms of PaaS, SaaS, and many other solutions, but Linode focuses more on the open-source technology side and the infrastructure as a service side. It has less capability when it comes to the PaaS and SaaS Platforms.

Overall, it is cost-effective. They offer flat, no lock-in pricing. We also get discounts.

As compared to its competitors, it is costly, but at the same time, it has many features. In terms of functionality and features, it offers more capability, but it is also costly.

With any cloud computing product, the foremost requirement is performance, and along with that, there should be cost-effectiveness. These are two major factors for us to decide whether we should have the service of a cloud service provider or not.

What other advice do I have?

Go for Linode if you want to host the infrastructure as a service. It is much cheaper than AWS and Azure. For SaaS and PaaS services, you can explore AWS and Azure. For infrastructure as a service, Linode is a lot more cost-effective than AWS and Azure.

I would rate Linode a nine out of ten. It is a leader. We have used other products as well, and it has much more capability as compared to them.

Senior Software Engineer at a computer software company
A cost-effective solution that offers user-friendly interface
  • "Linode offers cost-effective pricing, and it enables me to swiftly deploy my services."
  • "There is room for improvement regarding customer support."

What is our primary use case?

Its user-friendly interface and convenient administrator panel allow me to quickly and easily manage my services.

What is most valuable?

Linode offers cost-effective pricing, and it enables me to swiftly deploy my services. Its simplicity makes it a more straightforward choice compared to AWS, which can be more complex and costly.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement regarding customer support.

I have been working with it for two years.

It offers good stability capabilities.

It is a scalable solution.

I am not satisfied with their customer support services. They should improve the effectiveness of it by enhancing the response time.

The initial setup was easy and quick.

Over the past two years, I installed a total of seven machine instances on Linode. It has been easy to manage them.

It is quite affordable, which makes it a great choice.

What other advice do I have?

It is superior to other services offered in Taiwan. It can operate swiftly and allows us to back up and restore the system conveniently. Right now, we are facing VM interruption, so I would rate it eight out of ten.

Software Engineer with self employed
Easy to use, well documented, good support that is responsive
  • "I very much like the support that you get, and I think that it's excellent."
  • "It would be helpful if they offered a service where they handle the Linux security."

What is our primary use case?

I used to work as a software engineer for many years and when I retired, I wanted to carry on writing software. I wanted to work on my own vanity projects, rather than anything commercial. My particular interest and hobby is traditional music, so I wanted to develop tools, such as browser applications, websites, and so forth to help people learn and to promulgate traditional music. I needed a server for that, so I decided to use Linode.

I am using a cloud platform that is running Linux.

How has it helped my organization?

My main benefit is that I did not want to maintain my own server. Rather, I wanted to rent server space. In particular, I didn't want to do any of the administrative tasks because it's really boring and I'd have to take care of things like upgrading the physical hardware. It's been eight years now, and I just don't want to do that.

Linode is running virtual machines on relatively high-performance racks and because they actually are upgrading their racks quite regularly, all that's done for me. It's wonderful.

What is most valuable?

I very much like the support that you get, and I think that it's excellent.

I like that the virtual servers are kept up-to-date and they apply security patches immediately. They're very forthcoming when they need to tell you that there's going to be some downtime.

The fact that they offer a small set of computing services is very important for me because I don't want anything extended. I only require basic Linux facilities, and nothing else.

Having worldwide coverage is quite important because they've got their American datacenter, but they also have a good datacenter in London. This is the one that I use because it's more local, and I prefer to have a local server than to have to use an American one. It's well resourced, and they have a lot of computing power there. Also, I've had no problems with it.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if they offered a service where they handle the Linux security. Securing your own server is very difficult when you think of denial of service attacks, man in the middle attacks, and other such threats. They have documented it really well, and the documentation is very good, but I struggle to maintain a really secure server because I just don't have the expertise. If there were help available that could be provided, I would definitely pay for it.

I have been using Linode for between eight and nine years.

I've had my service continually up for eight years with only very tiny outages, which they have warned me about because of upgrades. The upgrades are done very quickly, so I would say that I've had 99.999% availability in eight years.

Scalability is not an issue for me because I've got a very tiny application with a very small number of users. As far as I understand, scalability is very good, but I don't really need it.

At this point, I don't plan to extend my reach. I've got enough capacity and processing power in this server to do everything that I want to do.

Whenever I've contacted support, I've always been connected with somebody in America and I've always had a very good response from them. I'm not sure how they are set up, but it seems that they're always available. I have only needed to contact them a few times.

The initial setup is very straightforward, apart from the security, which I find very difficult.

It takes me quite a long time to spin up an environment because I'm not using Kubernetes or Docker or any of these kinds of tools. I do everything very slowly, manually using FTP. It took me about a month to set it up to the point where I was happy with it. This is not a criticism of Linode. Rather, just because I'm operating as one person on my own, I don't have the infrastructure to do this sort of thing with a pre-packaged solution. Instead, I have to do it the hard way.

As a managed solution, they provide the documentation, good IT support, and upgrade the kernel when it needs to be done.

ROI is not applicable because it's entirely a vanity project and I'm not being paid for it. It's just for the little community that I am involved with.

I like the level of resources that you get for the price that you pay and feel that it's good value for the money. I pay just over £20 per month and have done so ever since I started eight years ago, which to me is good value.

The pricing model is very simple for what I want, and I've never actually looked at their pricing model in any depth. As far as my own limited view is concerned, it's very simple.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing Linode. I looked around to see what solutions the people I respect were using, and I copied them.

What other advice do I have?

Other than the issue with setting up my own Linux security, everything has been straightforward. What I'm contemplating doing, and the one thing that I will have to do at some stage is upgrading my version of Linux. I'm still running a very old version of Linux Ubuntu, as I had it installed when it was Ubuntu 14.

It is now Ubuntu 20, and I just don't want to go through the set of steps required to upgrade it. What I might do instead is rent another server, which is pre-installed with Ubuntu 20, and just reinstall what I need. It would be quicker for me to do that, as opposed to the laborious upgrade.

My advice for anybody who is considering Linode is that if you want to have a cloud solution, based just on the raw Linux platform, with nothing more and nothing less, then this is ideal. It is really simple and bare-bones, straightforward, very well documented, and very easy to use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Google, and more!
Updated: February 2024