Director at Picosoft
Prompt and professional service, easy to set up, supports many versions of Linux
  • "Generally speaking, I have not found any faults using Linode. For what we wanted, they provided a complete solution."
  • "When it comes to marketing and exposure, Linode needs improvement because I just randomly found them by looking for Linux solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We're a software company that uses a 1980s American product called Appgen, as an application generator. We've got accounting, finance materials, and information packages running under Appgen and we have a number of hospitals in Victoria, Australia using that for their finances. They tend to run on SCO Unix or UnixWare, but our own version of it, which we use for developing is SUSE Linux.

We've got an in-house virtual machine running there, but I was concerned about backup. My original reason for choosing Linode was it was an affordable Linux cloud node system that could run both Fedora and SUSE Linux.

I just chose on those grounds initially and we didn't do much else with it. But in fact, one of the services that we provide is called Medicare Online, for the Australian government health billing service. In this system, doctors and hospitals bill patients and then claim the expenses back from the government. That's been running the product's security system. Moving on to the web services, I thought when we started developing them, we'll try using Linode.

I think it's very affordable and although my initial intention was just to use it as a backup, I'm mirroring our machine with it. When we go ahead and develop the web services interface, we'll use Linode to do it.

How has it helped my organization?

The company got a lot more out of Linode than I expected. I thought that I was just buying a cloud-based backup, but I'm getting much more than that. I'm getting a really good Linux with technical support.

Essentially, the fact that we're developing web services interfaces and it is all fully supported, is

What is most valuable?

Given our business model, it is very important that Linode offers a focused set of cloud computing services because it means that we can then mirror our software in the cloud. When we do want to do things like developing web service interfaces then the environment is available. We chose SUSE Linux but we could have chosen Fedora. They offer quite a number of Linux solutions.

Initially and at this point, the fact that Linode offers worldwide coverage via multiple data centers is not important to us. However, our software is becoming obsolete and when they finally stop using it, we'll offer an archive, online inquiry for them. At that point, it will be an important feature.

We have accessed it using SSH on a number of different platforms and it works every time.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to marketing and exposure, Linode needs improvement because I just randomly found them by looking for Linux solutions. If we're in a position where we were trying to persuade our users to put their archive inquiries on to Linode, then perhaps their low profile might be a problem.

Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
March 2024
Find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google and others in Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS). Updated: March 2024.
767,095 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using Linode for approximately four years.

Stability-wise, it is very good. It has never shown any sign of anything wrong and has never run out of space. We had one runaway process which was our fault and they reported it to us.

For the environment that we are in, it's scalable. However, I haven't really tested it or pushed it hard enough to be sure about the scalability.

Initially, we didn't have Apache running on Linode. I thought that it was a bit of a Hail Mary, but I asked for their assistance because I was having a bit of trouble loading it. To my surprise, considering the cost of the service, the assistance is not only prompt, but they're very good, very professional.

By contrast, we use Google for our email services, and they're nowhere near as good when you want technical support.

As far as I can tell, their support is available 365, 24/7. The one time I asked for support, I got it very quickly and correctly.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I don't know enough about major cloud providers apart from Google Drive. But if you're someone that is working with Linux, it's very good. You can choose which Linux you want and it's a fully implemented version of it, but I haven't tested it against other providers.

The exception might be that Gmail handles the email and I think Linode is far more satisfactory, and much less expensive too.

Using the instructions they gave us, we were given a choice in various things of Linux that we wanted to load and we chose SUSE because we knew that our software would work on that.

It was fairly straightforward. Without really knowing much about it, it was up and running in half a day. It worked the way it was meant to work, relatively easily.

I deployed it myself and I am the primary administrator.

Linode's pricing model is very simple. When we started with the service, the cost was approximately €5 per month.

Considering the support response, uptime, and price, I find that the price to performance ratio is excellent.

I didn't really look at other options before choosing Linode. I was looking for a cloud-based backup service of our Linux system and it was called Linode, and it seemed to do all that and it worked for us.

Given that it only cost €5 per month, it wasn't a big risk so I decided to try the service. After that, I didn't feel the need to try anything else.

What other advice do I have?

Generally speaking, I have not found any faults using Linode. For what we wanted, they provided a complete solution. We're running older versions of SUSE Linux, and when I wanted to download it and start using features, it was all available.

We are not using Linode to the full extent of its capabilities, mainly because we're just using it to back up our in-house Linux. I estimate that we are using only 5% of what it can do. Certainly, for what we're trying to do, which is to copy our backups every night and reinstall them on the mirrored machine, it does it very easily and very quickly.

I'm not sure that Linode supports Unix as distinctly as Linux. Certainly, I haven't tested that, but if it supported SCO Unix solutions as well as Linux, that would make it easier for us. It may well come up in the next year that we want to migrate customers that are running Unix, not Linux.

My advice for anybody who is considering this service is that if their software runs under Linux and they are a Linux solution provider then I would recommend it without hesitation. It supports all of the main flavors of Linux.

Starting to use this product, I didn't have to learn anything because I followed the instructions, chose my version of Linux to install, and everything worked the first time. My only snag was trying to install web services in Apache and I had to ask them for help, but the help came very quickly and was correct.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Team Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
You have complete freedom to configure it anyway you want
  • "For small businesses and people who have some technical skills and are good with Linux command line, this solution is great. I love Linode because it is very fast. Whereas, the same configuration on Azure and AWS will be so slow. The best thing is that their pricing and speed are great."
  • "I would like Linode (without cluttering things) to provide some type of DevOps workflow where people are configuring their pipelines from running their tests and deploying to their test server. Once approved by clicking a button, it just gets deployed to production. I would like something like Azure DevOps, which we use for large applications, and would be something nice to have in Linode."

What is our primary use case?

We use Linode in our projects. We have one Linode, and it is quite straightforward. We have one Linode provisioned, which is running on the LAMP stack.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes the LAMP stack easier to manage. We just send one command, then automatic updates and security patches happen. We then just use some source code control, like GitHub or Bitbucket, which has helped us because I feel their prices are quite competitive. Sometimes, we need a lot of test applications to show things, do PoCs, and have test sites. So, it doesn't make sense for us to go with the big cloud solution, which is expensive. This way, you don't need to spin up some test sites or test applications for PoCs for just some UAT type of things. This has helped.

What is most valuable?

I like how if you are an older developer and have some development experience, then it is very easy to get to the foundation, which is cool. Then, you have complete freedom to configure it the way you want. Also, Linode is fast.

It is very focused and doesn't have a lot of features. For example, it doesn't have the complete DevOps pipeline. You can configure it directly using UIs, configuring the entire pipeline and even your project management, which is what we get in something like Azure. It is good to have that focused approach.

For small businesses and people who have some technical skills and are good with Linux command line, this solution is great. I love Linode because it is very fast. Whereas, the same configuration on Azure and AWS will be so slow. The best thing is that their pricing and speed are great.

What needs improvement?

While Linode works well for people who have some technical experience, e.g., I am good with Linux and very comfortable with the command line, I can understand how people who are not so comfortable with the command line probably prefer a lot of feature-based cloud services.

I would like Linode (without cluttering things) to provide some type of DevOps workflow where people are configuring their pipelines from running their tests and deploying to their test server. Once approved by clicking a button, it just gets deployed to production. I would like something like Azure DevOps, which we use for large applications, and would be something nice to have in Linode.

I have been using it for the last two years.

It is very stable. We haven't had any issues.

Scaling up has been easier. We just scale up the node, then it scales up. One thing is if you want to scale up, then you cannot scale down. I have tried that a few times because we have certain seasons in the year where no one is using the application. So, I tried to scale down, but Linode doesn't allow that. However, scaling up was quite easy and fast.

Our applications are currently being used in Southeast Asia. Our clients are region-focused and very rarely will we have an application used outside this region. Performance-wise, it is more important how you build your application than having data centers everywhere unless it is a very high-end application. However, we don't have those kinds of applications, where thousands of users simultaneously work across the globes.

We are set for scalability because we have small businesses and don't need a very high scalability, where we have something like Kubernetes or one of those high-end, complex scaling pipelines. We have not needed those things. We just have to scale the node, going from two CPUs to four CPUs and upgrading the RAM.

We are using it for small applications and are happy with that. However, there are no new projects on the horizon, so we are just maintaining the solution.

The couple of times that I have raised tickets, they replied within a day or two, but I never had an emergency situation. Their support is good.

We came across the solution through Linode's advertisements. We used it for the free trial period, liked it, and purchased it.

I didn't have any problems with the setup. It was quite straightforward and easy. Basically, you select what you need, then they give you access and you go on from there. It took 10 to 15 minutes.

Once you set up Linode, then you have to install some basic things. You install your source code software, like GitHub, with your application source code. It was quite straightforward.

I did the deployment.

I am the only person who uses and maintains Linode currently. Someone else looks at the other cloud solutions.

I have been using it for two years. Linode compared with other solutions must have saved us around $300 to $400, max.

The pricing and licensing are good. It is very straightforward and simple. I would like more options, e.g., if I want to upgrade my Linode right now, then I have to double it. I would like another option than that.

Linode is not as expensive as Azure and AWS. I feel that Linode is able to give very competitive rates. I find other providers, like Google and AWS, expensive.

Its price-to-performance is better than other big cloud providers, like Azure, Google, and AWS. It has saved us money. While their rates might look the same, their servers tend to be slow. So, if you want the same speed as Linode in other big providers, then you need to go for a higher end solution and the costs will double. I think Linode's rates are good because the performance of their servers are good.

I just pay for the server and other things that I use, like their object storage. There are no hidden costs.

Once you open a new account, they give you some free credit. We used that free credit and liked the solution. So, we went ahead with it.

We use Azure a lot for our big business applications. Usually, we end up comparing and seeing things over there, determining how Linode would have handled this. I have tried out Linode analytics. Mostly, for innovation, we look for that in Azure with their side pipelines and DevOps.

We looked at DigitalOcean, but never used it.

What other advice do I have?

They try to give you the basics, They try to remove complexities, keeping the platform as basic and simple as possible. That is why the system works very quickly. This is a good model to take forward and better than going with the shared systems, like GoDaddy, because you have total control of what you want to install, upgrade, and where you want to apply security. You have total control over the server. Other shared systems don't have this because they are slowing due to sharing your sources. So, I really liked this model of Linode.

If you have some confidence or experience using the command prompt, then this is the best thing to go for. If you have the technical expertise to manage the server directly, then this is the best thing because you will save a lot of money, not going for a higher end, like Google or Azure. You will save money and get better performance. However, if you don't know how to manage the server directly, then you might have a hard time and need better support from Linode to set up your servers. Other than that, it is the best choice.

I would rate Linode as a nine (out of 10).

Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
March 2024
767,095 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alexander Stoyanov - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Anilex Media
Easy to navigate, user-friendly and responsive to my needs
  • "When I started using Linode, I found its functionality easy to navigate, user-friendly and responsive to my needs. It provides clear reminders about services I'm not using, like DNS zones, which I appreciate."
  • "I'm not sure what could be improved at Linode since they're likely already making enhancements, especially with the Akamai acquisition and, I don't have any specific suggestions as I haven't encountered any major issues. I might consider using API for managing DNS records, but overall, I'm satisfied with Linode."

What is our primary use case?

I use Linode primarily as a backup for digital ocean services. I also host websites for clients in London on Linode servers for better proximity but managing DNS and domain records is easier on Digital Ocean compared to Linode. I haven't used Linode for managed databases or cloud storage.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Linode for more than seven years.

In my experience, Linode's stability is a solid ten. I haven't encountered any downtime or issues.

We serve about 150 users, and the scalability has been excellent.

I've had positive experiences with Linode's technical support team. They were prompt and helpful when I reached out for assistance, even extending my payment deadline once.

The initial setup process was simple and user-friendly.

Compared to other providers, I find Linode's pricing a bit higher. Storage could be more affordable.

Compared to competitors like Hetzner, Linode's server specs are better, though both companies are likely improving. I'm curious about Hetzner's low prices and plan to explore their services further.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Linode an 8 out of 10. While I recommend it, I suggest users conduct their own research before making a decision, as my recommendation is based on personal experience and preferences.

President at Lone Star Technologies
Great service and support, easy to resize and scale, and easy to manage
  • "The fact that you can get a person on the phone has just been fantastic."
  • "I've had some difficulties with some of their IP addresses being banned by certain mail servers."

What is our primary use case?

We're a hosting service, as well as a software development and website design company. We use Linode for virtual servers to host the websites that we design and maintain.

How has it helped my organization?

The relatively small but well-focused set of services is adequate for our use. We install our own software and run our own servers, so they're providing the base system for us.

It is important that Linode offers worldwide coverage via multiple data centers. We don't utilize overseas currently, but that's definitely a plus in the event that we have a client that needs a local server overseas.

Implementing Linode has helped us to accelerate innovation. We moved from having servers in a colo where they were our servers and we maintain the hardware, to virtual servers with Linode five years ago. The ability to move between servers in the event that there's some hardware issue, and the ability to rely on them to maintain their hardware, was a real plus. It took a load off of us having to be concerned about the hardware the systems are running on. Plus, the connection that they provide is high bandwidth and has considerably more than we were being offered by the previous provider.

What is most valuable?

What we find most valuable about Linode is its service. The fact that you can get a person on the phone has just been fantastic. I've gotten to where I just won't use a company that doesn't provide somebody on the phone. There are some issues, especially when you're dealing with something as timely as an issue with a server, where communicating in any other fashion is just not adequate. You need to get somebody on the phone when you have a down issue, and they're very good. You don't necessarily always get the person that knows the most about the issue when you first call in, but they're pretty good about getting it to somebody who can help you.

What needs improvement?

It would be wonderful to have the person that is most familiar with an issue when you call up available on the phone immediately, but I understand that can't always be the case. There are too many different kinds of issues and you need a hierarchy for people to handle concerns.

I've had some difficulties with some of their IP addresses being banned by certain mail servers. I think it's based on the size of their network that they manage and the fact that they have different users within C-blocks of IPs that might be spam sources affecting anybody else that's on that same network. It's a difficult problem to address, but it does affect us occasionally, and having your email rejected is not something any of us like dealing with.

Typically, we try to reach out to the party that is blocking the IP address. On occasion, it takes contacting Linode and having them also reach out and request that the IP be unblocked. So far, that's been adequate.

I have been working with Linode for nine years.

Linode provides the servers for all of our clients, and the stability and availability are extremely good. I think in the five years that I've been with them, there was just one issue where there was a DoS attack. It's been quite some time but from what I recall, it took at most an hour to resolve the problem.

The rest of the time, there have been a few occasions where somebody on the same virtual host as us has been overusing the CPU and we've needed to move the virtual host to another physical server, and that's always been handled promptly. Most of the time, it has been really good.

Resizing Linodes is easy to do. I've not hit the boundaries of the capabilities of their system or even come close to it. There is plenty of bandwidth, plenty of CPU, plenty of memory available, and plenty of disk space. I've had no problems.

Nobody in the company really works with Linode on a regular basis.  Most management tasks can be handled online.   There's probably over the past five years been 10 or 15 occasions where somebody needed to do something over the phone.

There have been two of us that have dealt with Linode, including myself and a programmer that I have working for me. At this point, we don't have a plan to increase our usage.

The company has been operating for more than 20 years and prior to Linode, we did not use a similar product. Rather, we were using a colo facility with our own hardware.

The initial setup is extremely easy to manage. It doesn't require anything complicated. It's all online through their interface. You add Linode, delete Linode, pick where you want the Linode to reside, size it, or resize it. It's quite easy.

You can add Linode in a couple of minutes.

Our network layout hasn't changed in years. It's a setup that we've had in place over time and it's not like we're strategizing changes to it all the time.

The pricing model is simple. They don't make things complicated, which is important. We've had to deal with Oracle's crazy pricing, which is based on how many CPUs you're running.

When we consider everything including support, response time, uptime, and price, it makes all the difference to me that you can call and get somebody on the phone, pretty much immediately. Dealing in chat and email is just not adequate when you have an issue.

Using Linode has saved us some money compared to other cloud providers, although it is not our primary concern. Availability of support is much more important than pricing.

We looked at other solutions including, for example, Amazon, as well as other virtual server providers. We had some feedback from some of the people we reached out to in making the decision that had provided some good feedback on Linode, so we thought we'd give that a try.

We set up a couple of servers, then I moved some sites over and had a good experience with them. So, we migrated the whole setup.

One of the significant differences between Linode and the other products is the support. We also found their pricing quite competitive, which is another reason that we opted for Linode.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking for this type of service is to seriously consider Linode.

In summary, this is a good service and something that we benefit from every day. Really, in my experience, they've done a fantastic job and there really hasn't been anybody dropping the ball over there.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Managing Partner at Ilium Software
Has fantastic support and offers a well-focused set of cloud computing services
  • "The number one thing we like about Linode isn't necessarily a service, it's their support. We've found their support to be absolutely fantastic. They've been so outstanding with their support. Every single time we call them and we ask for advice or help, they go above and beyond and it's really made us appreciate what they do."
  • "It's not really an issue with Linode itself but upgrading Linux major versions can be challenging. It would be be fantastic if Linode developed a way to ease transitioning to a major new Linux upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Linode for our company website. We run a pretty large knowledge base on the site for our products. We also use it for our order email processing. All that's done on a Linode-based virtual machine.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest result is that it performs very well. Our website is quite responsive. Our knowledge base, which has a search engine, is extremely responsive. We do email order processing as well and there has never been an issue with that. We look to it to process things essentially in real-time, perform well, and give users using our site a good experience. That's what we get from Linode.

What is most valuable?

Linode offers a relatively small but well-focused set of cloud computing services. We've never been able to stump support with a question. My experience has been that they're very knowledgeable on the systems they run. When we call and ask for advice on configuring something or setting something up, even though that's not part of their mission, they still are always very helpful and get us up and running.

It is important to us that they also offer worldwide coverage via multiple data centers. Having multiple data centers not only gives them coverage for backing up data across the world so we know that our data is not necessarily just in one place but it can be backed up in several locations. In addition, as so many companies now are international, we can get better performance in different parts of the world by having data centers spread around.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Linode since 2016.

It's all cloud. We have monitors on our site that let us know if the site goes down for any reason, which would include Linode having a problem. I can only remember one instance where a network segment went out. This occurred years ago. We had a little bit of downtime but they were on it and fixed it quite quickly. Linode is extremely reliable.

They make it very easy to add additional services if we need to. It could be either additional nodes or moving to another node that has more space, more memory, or whatever it is we want. There are quite a few offerings and they're pretty easy to set up. If we ever need to do that, it's certainly there waiting for us.

We can call Linode and immediately be connected with someone who's very knowledgeable.

We found the initial setup to be pretty straightforward. They have a fantastic set of documentation that will guide you through setting up almost anything. Between that, and then if something's not clear, you reach out to support who are very helpful. It's really pretty straightforward.

The setup took less than a month, and that was moving from dedicated hardware on a completely different type of Linux over to the Linode on a newer version of a different flavor of Linux. It took less than 30 days.

We did the deployment ourselves but we got advice along the way from Linode.

We have definitely seen a ROI. The cost of running on virtual services, like Linode, is so much less than running on dedicated hardware.

The pricing is quite good. We are paying a fraction of what we did when we were running on actual hardware, where we had a machine dedicated just to us. Their pricing is quite competitive from what I've seen.

Their pricing model is straightforward. From looking at their pricing page, it's pretty simple to figure out what it's going to cost.

We did evaluate other solutions on the surface. Although, at the time, we had a referral. Someone else that we knew quite well was using Linode and really liked it, so that gave Linode an edge. There are definitely other good providers out there. Linode's support was so overwhelmingly good that that's really what convinced us that we made a good choice.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to reach out to Linode, ask questions, and get comfortable with how they're going to support you moving over there. Check out their documentation, which is excellent. That will enable it to be a very smooth transition. They seem to be very willing to help people, even upfront. That would be the way I would do it.

I would rate Linode a ten out of ten.

Associate VP Projects at ACS Technologies Ltd.
The cost is more affordable compared to other cloud solutions
  • "Service availability is the most valuable feature. It gives every user 100 percent uptime."
  • "Right now, they don't have multiple data centers. They have limited data centers. I am currently using the Singapore and Mumbai data centers, but I am looking for data centers in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. They need to improve the availability of their data centers and partnership engagements with cloud Panda solution providers, like us."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Linode for our cloud platform to host our enterprise solutions.

What is most valuable?

It is like in a single store for cloud solutions, which is important for us.

What needs improvement?

Right now, they don't have multiple data centers. They have limited data centers. I am currently using the Singapore and Mumbai data centers, but I am looking for data centers in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. They need to improve the availability of their data centers and partnership engagements with cloud Panda solution providers, like us.

I have been using it for five years.

It does not require maintenance.

It takes two to three minutes to upgrade my plans or downgrade my services.

Right now, three of us are working on this server to manage things. However, our user base is around two million.

I sent two or three tickets for support, but I have gotten the appropriate resolutions. I would rate the support as a nine out of 10. They could improve the response time compared to AWS.

We used AWS before Linode.

Right now, we have four to five accounts. We are also closing our subscriptions with AWS, GCP, and Azure to save costs.

The initial setup is straightforward. In less than 30 minutes, I can set up my server and VM.

You save on your private or public cloud costs when using Linode.

Compared to other service providers, like AWS and Google, the cost of services are much less and more affordable. We are saving about 90 percent by going with Linode versus other cloud providers.

We didn't require any knowledge to host our enterprise applications on Linode. If you want to go with AWS, you need to learn their ecosystem first.

I also tried DigitalOcean. Linode is better than DigitalOcean. Linode is better in terms of creating and updating VMs.

What other advice do I have?

Even though they don't have many data centers across the globe, the speed has been good. With the help of the CDN, the speed has been good. It has a good user interface. Also, the community documentation is good.

I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10.

Security, Programming, Infrastructure Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
  • "Because of the way that their pricing model is set up, I can scale up or down the size of a customer's server very easily. It makes life very easy for me when they run out of space, need more speed or RAM, etc. I can very easily pay the difference and reboot the machine, and now I have the upgrade that I wanted. That just makes it extremely simple."
  • "They could have more international servers. There are certain places throughout Europe and Eastern Europe which are very open to doing a lot of technology business, such as Romania. Romania is very open to technology. At other service providers, I have stuff in Romania. I think there are some Eastern European locations that would be more open to it. So, if they could have more European points of presence, that would be more helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I am generally using them for bringing up websites and servers for customers. Oftentimes, a company will want their own mail server and/or web server, and I will use Linode for that. It is extremely convenient and easy for me to do this. I really like how they are set up. They just seem to do everything right.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a very cost-effective solution. It allows me to give high availability. Having it be a VM instead of a dedicated piece of hardware is extremely valuable in the fact that they are very proactive about their monitoring. There have been several times where I have seen them migrate a VM from a server that was having problems onto a new server. I have had that happen a couple of times over the years that I have been with Linode.

The service has helped our organization accelerate innovation because, in certain cases, I have wanted to try something new. So, I would just spin up a VM briefly for a short period of time to try some things on it and see how it worked, then I could just turn it off again. It basically made me a rapid prototyping environment so I could try new things and get stuff working pretty quickly.

What needs improvement?

Linode offers worldwide coverage via multiple data centers, which is very important to me. I would like to see more European offerings. I know they have Frankfurt available right now. I would personally like to see more data centers throughout Europe or Eastern Europe available.

I have been using them for quite some time, at least five years.

They are very stable. I am very pleased. I have always experienced good stability with their stuff. For the servers that I have used, they have always been very stable. I have always noticed them to be very proactive when they do detect a problem. Migration from there to a different server has always been rather quick.

The scalability is very easy because I can pay some money, reboot the machine, and now I have the upgrade. It is done. It is very simple. I am always pleased with that.

There are about 10 machines or so that are currently running. I have some customers who have two servers and others with one server.

I don't often have to use their support because the machines are so stable. I may have to talk to support once a year, which is not very often at all. When I do deal with them, having it be 24/7 is not terribly critical to me because I usually only do this work during regular work hours anyway. I have noticed there have been times where towards the end of the day, I would create a ticket or be in a conversation with one of them, then they would answer me well after business hours and be available for that. However, in general, I haven't had to use their support a whole lot in the first place because it just runs and works.

I have used a company in Europe called IntoVPS. Some of my colleagues have used Vultr. So, my friends and I have used a couple other services, but I keep coming back to Linode.

IntoVPS had offerings that were just incompatible. They were using Zen Solutions for a while, and I found compatibility issues with it. When I used them, they didn't seem to have a mature product offering that did what I wanted. I felt like I was always working around one of their limitations.

My other friends have used Vultr, and they're pretty happy with it. I have not set up anything personally for my own customers on Vultr yet, but from what I see and heard, they seem to like Vultr a lot too. Vultr has a lot of European points of presence. If I was going to sign up for a Vultr account, it would be because they have more locations in Europe than Linode does. That would be my only motivation at this point, since I don't have personal experience with them.

Setting up with Linode is very easy. I will pick the size of the VM that I want and usually use a CentOS 7 distribution. Once I have that, I will usually just be able to run. If I am bringing something up that is sort of a cookie-cutter server, then I can run my Ansible scripts against it, then it is very rapid. In a matter of minutes, I can go from having nothing to having a functional server that I can log into and start putting the customer's data onto it.

The setup process is usually either:

• Simply select the distribution and start using it.
  • Run some Ansible scripts to do some of those tasks ahead of time.

It is extremely simple. One of the big things that I really like about Linode is how simple, quick, and easy the solution is to get working.

It takes less than a day to spin up an environment. I will go from having nothing to having a fully functional customer website or mail server. It takes less than a work day. In fact, it is usually about half a work day. I will do it in the afternoon. I will start the machine and configure it, then it will be done in a very short time. By the end of the day, it is done and working. I am ready for the customers' users to start using it. It is very quick.

Linode is a very high value for what you are paying. I have brought up a number of the $5 and $10 a month servers, and customers have generally been very happy with those. I am not expecting the world from the servers because they are only $5 or $10 a month servers, but I am not asking for too much from them. It really works out well. Even on low-end systems at $5 and $10 a month, it is very well done.

Because of the way that their pricing model is set up, I can scale up or down the size of a customer's server very easily. It makes life very easy for me when they run out of space, need more speed or RAM, etc. I can very easily pay the difference and reboot the machine, and now I have the upgrade that I wanted. That just makes it extremely simple.

It is important to me that the provider offers a relatively small, but well-focused, set of cloud computing services. I can start off a very small customer at $5 a month, then scale them up from there. I have done that numerous times. I started off a customer on a $10 month server, and now they are on a $80 month server. Being able to scale up like that is very valuable to me.

The pricing model is very simple. I like the simplicity of it, starting at $5, then doubling as it goes up from there. That is a brilliant idea, and it is not complex at all. It is about as dead simple as you can imagine. So, if you want to double what you have, then you double your price, pay the money, and reboot. It is done. It's that simple. You can't beat that.

At this point in the game, Linode is pretty much the only VM provider that I recommend for my customers to use. It is the only place where I put stuff that I have out there for different customers. So, I am pretty sold on Linode. I have tried a couple of other services, but Linode is the one that I keep coming back to right now.

Looking at IntoVPS and what they provide, Linode is saving me money. I have found that IntoVPS has some strange pricing because they have a diverse offering of different virtualization technologies; there is too much to pick from. I would rather just have one thing that works properly, like Linode, and just use that. Compared to IntoVPS, Linode is much better.

Compared to Vultr, it is pretty much almost exactly the same. The only thing that might be a difference is Linode has a range of compute servers where the Vultr offering for high-frequency compute nodes has a different pricing scheme. That is about the only difference.

A lot of these other providers out there really do not have their acts together. Linode has done a great job in simplifying everything to the point where it is just simple and easy. I learned to stick with what works, which is Linode.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. I would recommend Linode. Don't be afraid to try out the cheaper, smaller systems for whatever you are running. Pick the system that meets your system requirements as best as possible, but you really can save. I would recommend it because you can save a lot of money as well as time and hassle.

I would rather pay just a little bit more and have a hassle-free operation than to pay less and be faced with support issues. I don't like having to deal with support. I don't like having to bring in anybody else to help me debug something. So, I look at Linode as everything just works. It is a very cheap price, depending on what you're getting. It can be scaled up and down very easily. So, it has exceptional value.

I would rate this solution as a 10 (out of 10).

Founder /CEO at Entropy Studios
Flexible and responsive customer service, stable, and reasonably priced
  • "The most valuable feature is that they are flexible and easy to get ahold of if I need something."
  • "Because they are a smaller company, they do not have, for example, all of the ways for authentication that Amazon or Azure has."

What is our primary use case?

Initially, my use case was to have a server platform running that wasn't tied to the company that I worked for at the time. I wanted a solution where I could access our product and services from a platform that had no relation to our own. I was performing testing, as if coming from the outside as a customer of ours, having no network conductivity on our servers or anything like that. That was the first use case.

We realized that it was pretty handy to have a cloud platform that didn't reside in our network, so what happened next, when we moved our data center from Dallas to Florida, we employed the platform to facilitate it. We used a temporary name server and temporary mail server and another temporary server to keep some of our core services running while we were physically moving servers across the country.

When I moved and thought of this company, I used Linode as a temporary general server, as a holding place for all sorts of things. This included web services, our website, and other similar things. But then when I moved most of that to other providers, I still kept some of the web services running. So, it's like an application server for customers.

Basically, if I provide a service to a company, such as a mapping service for a logistics company, then my domain name can be used to access applications on the Linode server. I have a couple of instances there right now that are performing this task.

How has it helped my organization?

Linode offers worldwide coverage in multiple data centers, although this is not important to me because I only use the US data centers. In fact, one of the reasons that I stick with Linode is because of their US presence. Right now, I am only using the data center in Dallas and this specifically gives me a US presence.

Having a long-standing relationship with Linode, it's been easy to develop and subsequently deploy services provided to our customers on their platform. Without it, I would have to use a different platform like Amazon or Microsoft Azure, or something like that. Where this makes a difference is that it would take longer to get to market in the case where one of our customers requires a change or a specific feature that we don't normally provide. The fact that it is easy for us to modify that quickly and without much overhead means we can implement it. Essentially, the flexibility that Linode provides extends through us to our customers, which is a bonus for them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that they are flexible and easy to get a hold of if I need something. For example, if I need to provision a server quickly, or if I need to change something, or if I for some reason need to do something that's outside of my plan that I pay for, I can contact them quickly and always get a hold of someone and always get a solution for it. I don't know if this is typical or if it's just based on having been a customer for a reasonably long time, but that's the main reason that I stick with them. It can be summed up by saying that they provide a much better level of service than a larger company like Amazon. I use Amazon as well, but it's a different experience.

What needs improvement?

Because they are a smaller company, they do not have, for example, all of the ways for authentication that Amazon or Azure has. However, that's not a downside for me because it means it's less complex to implement for us. So, while it is simple compared to some large solutions, that's a benefit to me and not a drawback.

I began working with Linode in 2004 or 2005 when I was working as a technology officer in my former company in the US. I still use the product but it for my own business in Europe.

Linode has been very stable. Every time there is an outage, they will always contact me beforehand to let me know that there is something planned. I've never had an unplanned outage, so it's positive.

Scalability-wise, it has improved over time. Initially, it was harder to deploy complex servers and then grow them. What we'd have to do was shut them down and then scale up and then deploy a whole other server and then move whatever we had. This could have been an application or a number of applications, which were all moved to that new instance.

As it is now, you can just do it on the fly. But having said that, I don't really scale up and down very much. I generally know what I need and then deploy it. After that, if I ever discontinue something, we turn that off.

So in summary, I see that it has improved, but I haven't really used it much.

In my company, there are between three and five of us who work on it at any given time. Each of us performs multiple roles but in this capacity, we are system administrators and system engineers.

At this point, probably between 20% and 25% of the server and cloud needs are provided by Linode. As the business grows, the usage will grow, although it's always going to be proportional to what we have now. Given that 2020 was a pretty crazy year, it is very hard to predict growth right now.

I also use Amazon but It's a less personal experience. For example, if I'm abroad and I can't take care of something until I get back, I can't call Amazon and say, "Hey look, can you delay my invoice for two weeks, because I'm in Bangladesh and I have to deal with something," because my company is not big enough for that. With Linode, it's perfectly fine. You can just call them and they'll take care of it, which shows a high degree of flexibility and a high level of service.

The initial setup was not very easy, although when I set it up, it was quite some time ago and things were more difficult on the web at that time. I think that the difficulty of the installation has been commensurate with the level of technology on the web at the time. It is easier to do now than it was when I started.

They have the Linode manager, which is an online interface that works by you starting with selecting a service. You select all of the things that you want to have included in your service, whether it's a bare metal server or a virtual server, or whether it's provisioning new storage for that server that you already have. After it's selected and it's up and running, you have the same KVM that you do on other services. For example, you have a virtual screen as if you were in front of your machine in the data center.

We're such a small company that we don't really do this type of financial breakdown. We're just happy if we make a little bit more money than we did last quarter. Nonetheless, I can say that we have seen ROI because I believe that our flexibility is partially based on Linode's flexibility, which lets us keep and get more clients. I just couldn't give a specific number of how much.

Being that they are small, their prices are slightly higher than the large providers like Amazon if you compare raw computing power. However, I understand they have to be slightly higher because they just don't have as many customers. If you come from the outside, not knowing how things are going to work, then look at the costs by doing a cost analysis, you might wonder why you should choose them if they're going to be more expensive across the board.

I can say that it doesn't affect me because I know what I'm paying for. It is easy to say that any solution can be cheaper and it could be better, but I know what Linode does, I understand the service I'm getting, and I know what it will provide me. As such, I think that it is fair and I am willing to pay the premium.

If you have a situation where you just want to spin up a server and run a test, without actually having a client and you don't want to incur too many costs, it's not been bad at all.

Considering support, response time, uptime, and price, I think that the price to performance ratio is pretty good. They've been very responsive whenever I have had questions, so from that point of view, I'm very satisfied.

I have experience with AWS and Azure but when it comes to evaluating other products, we haven't sat down and had comparison meetings or anything like that. Everybody that works in the company has been with me for a while, so they're very familiar with which servers and services work based on our needs.

There are obviously reasons to use, for example, Microsoft Azure because perhaps one of your services uses one of their services that they provide intimately. In a case like this, it's just easier to deploy on their platform because maybe you use one of their endpoints that are already on Azure.

I haven't seen any reason to compare the products because whatever service we create and develop to offer to our customers dictates where we put it.

What other advice do I have?

Linode offers a smaller, but well-focused set of cloud computing services to customers, which I think is important because they are able to provide a very high level of support. If they did everything, if they were much larger, maybe they couldn't maintain that level of support because it wouldn't work if all of their customers asked for special treatment.

My advice for anybody who is considering Linode is to start very small and become a customer of theirs, just so you get used to and familiar with the way that you deploy servers and services. I suggest this because of the fact that they are not a Microsoft or an Amazon, but rather they're a much smaller company.

Again, become familiar with it, and even if it seems a little basic at times, allocate a small part of your development budget to just becoming a customer. This involves creating an account and playing around a little bit, and you'll see that you have most of the features that you need.

That is what the experience has been like for me. Maybe it's not like that for everyone, but try it out. You will probably see that it's more than you might think initially, at least that's the reason that I stuck around and stayed with them for so long.

Other
Download our free Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google, and more!
Updated: March 2024