IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Kong Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kong Enterprise is #10 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Kong Enterprise an average rating of 8 out of 10. Kong Enterprise is most commonly compared to Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager: Kong Enterprise vs Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager. Kong Enterprise is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Kong Enterprise?

Kong delivers a next generation API platform built for modern architectures. With a lightnight-fast, lightweight, and flexible core, Kong delivers sub-millisecond latency across all your services. Kong's is deployment-, vendor-, and pattern-agnostic, allowing you to run your services how you want, where you want, and with who you want - from baremetal to cloud, monolith to microservices, service mesh, and beyond.

Kong Enterprise Customers
Cargill, Zillow, Ferrari, WeWork, Healthcare.gov, Yahoo! Japan, Giphy, SkyScanner
Kong Enterprise Video

Archived Kong Enterprise Reviews (more than two years old)

Head of Digital Delivery at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easier and more unique to use compared to other platforms
  • "In our buying companies' perspective, it was easier to use compared to other platforms. The markets were pretty familiar with the solutions."
  • "There should be an easier way to integrate with other solutions, even though it's the same API solution layer. Comparability will be a good improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We define our enterprise architect and Kong has been selected as an API integration layer solution. We deploy in some of the markets if they're ready to go, and some of the markets are not really ready because we have 10 different markets at the moment. It's an API integration layer so that we can expedite our microservices to the market.

What is most valuable?

In our buying companies' perspective, it was easier and more unique to use compared to other platforms. The markets were pretty familiar with the solutions.

What needs improvement?

It can be our personal, our company's issue, but when we were doing separate projects, we were facing a lot of solutions. For some of our major projects, the API was not using Kong as a group platform. Sometimes they use Microsoft Azure or AWS. That's not a problem, but I think it's wasting some of our budget. We set Kong as an enterprise standard. There should be an easier way to integrate with other solutions, even though it's the same API solution layer. Comparability will be a good improvement.

We implemented it around May time.
API Management
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Kong, WSO2, Microsoft and others in API Management. Updated: June 2022.
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a stable solution.

Compared to other products, I think it's pretty scalable. I think we have around 100 users.  Our plan to increase usage depends on the market deployment plan. I think we should because we just started that journey last year and it's ramping up at the moment. We do have a plan to increase the manpower.

I would rate their support a seven or eight out of ten. I'm pretty okay with the technical support.

We previously used Axway. We switched to Kong because of its reliability and scalability. We have a lot of other platforms that we're using as the API integration platform, but from the enterprise architect's perspective, Kong is the standard.

The initial setup was relatively okay, but it depends on the market. Some of the markets we had easier solutions to deploy but we had trouble with some other markets we had trouble to make them understand and go through the legacy systems so that we could link different layers to Kong's API platform. The difficulty depends on the market.

What other advice do I have?

The dependency on the legacy has to be very minimal so that you can leverage your new platform or integration layer and it will be easier to build up to scale. I think those parts are the important ones you have to think through. There are so many new technologies, and I think at the moment low-code is very popular to use. If we get into the no-code or low-code aspect, sometimes coding can be easier. If they can provide relevant no-code or low-code service to the customers, not making the process very complex, I think that will be the main winner for the platform service providers. I would rate Kong an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Digital Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A combination firewall and anti-virus solution that is dependable and easy to deploy
  • "This is a solid intrusion prevention system that combines a firewall and antivirus in a single solution."
  • "The OS upgrades are not as frequent as they should be and they are bulky."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use this as an intrusion prevention system.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a good product to offer our clients that fits with our local economy.

What is most valuable?

The combination of IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) and the antivirus feature included in that firewall provides a unified advantage. We need one solution and not two. That is one of the main features our customers are really interested in.

What needs improvement?

Mainly, I would say they need to improve the updates. The updates of the OS for Fortinet seem to require a lot of bandwidth. It would be good if they required fewer resources. Also, they might improve the frequency of the releases.

I say this because here in East Africa the Internet is not as reliable or as fast as in the UK — or other places outside Africa. The OS for the Fortinet is great — super, even — but the releases are bulky and cause some problems.

Even though I like the way that both the intrusion prevention and antivirus are incorporated in this one solution, I think they should improve how you switch between one feature and the other. It's not very user-friendly for someone who's not experienced with the product. It is also quite different from other firewalls, like Check Point.

I have used this public cloud solution for two years.

As far as the stability of the solution: so far so good. I've not had any complaints from the customer side at all. That means the installations and the product are solid, so I can say with confidence that it is stable.

I think the product is scalable. That's a great feature of the product in the sense that it is easier to show the return on investment while using it because it's easier to scale. You do not have to reinvest in a lot of other new equipment as an upgrade.

I haven't contacted technical support, because when we deploy the system administrator uses the product. We have not heard of problems from administrators and according to them, they didn't experience any kind of difficulties. The only problem that a client had was the problem or the electricity. So that's different than actually having a problem with the firewall. They had no issues with the firewall itself.

I had some experience with the Check Point UTM firewall, but it was brief. All I can say is that Fortinet is more user-friendly compared to Check Point it's not as complex to deploy as Check Point.

The other thing is regarding support. The support for Check Point is a bit slow, at least it is not as fast as Fortinet.

For me, I think the installation was straightforward and we do that ourselves. The deployment doesn't take very long — it was a maximum of three hours. That is for the initial setup. There are not many places to change settings or that need customization.

For the deployments, we use two to three people and that is enough. We use one person for the metric and then one or even two for the systems. It is probably more than we need, but we do that just to be sure things go well.

The provider is Microsoft Azure. But we do all the installations by ourselves.

For us, the benefit of being able to scale without it having to cost a lot of money is good for our clients in our economic environment, so it is also good for us.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the product as an eight out of ten. It is an eight because their updates are not regular and easier to work with.

The clients that we have already deployed are happy with it. So for now, if any new project needs a firewall solution, we are confident that we get positive feedback from the people using this product. For our future plans, I would hope we can deploy it more, but I cannot be sure about that because of the economic situation and how many new clients we will have.

The only advice I have for people considering this as a solution is to make sure that they have a proper internet connection and good bandwidth. That's the thing I feel is the biggest problem for my case.

It's user-friendly, at least for now. It is hard to predict if they will add complexity if they upgrade features.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Kong, WSO2, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: June 2022