Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Kong Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kong Enterprise is #10 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Kong Enterprise an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Kong Enterprise is most commonly compared to MuleSoft Anypoint API Manager: Kong Enterprise vs MuleSoft Anypoint API Manager. Kong Enterprise is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Kong Enterprise?

Kong delivers a next generation API platform built for modern architectures. With a lightnight-fast, lightweight, and flexible core, Kong delivers sub-millisecond latency across all your services. Kong's is deployment-, vendor-, and pattern-agnostic, allowing you to run your services how you want, where you want, and with who you want - from baremetal to cloud, monolith to microservices, service mesh, and beyond.

Kong Enterprise Customers
Cargill, Zillow, Ferrari, WeWork, Healthcare.gov, Yahoo! Japan, Giphy, SkyScanner
Kong Enterprise Video

Kong Enterprise Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Kong Enterprise pricing:
  • "I don't have any information on licensing costs currently."
  • "The licensing fees are paid yearly."
  • "There are many factors that influence the price of Kong Enterprise, such as scale, licenses, and usage."
  • "The price is really reasonable compared to that of alternative solutions."
  • Kong Enterprise Reviews

AmitKanodia - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Capgemini
    Provides role-based access control and can be easily customized with Lua script
    • "There are a few features that I like about Kong when it comes to authentication and authorization. Specifically, being able to use Kong for role-based access control (RBAC), and then further being able to integrate the RBAC mechanism with our enterprise directory, was very useful."
    • "Kong is meant for north-south communications, so it will be interesting to see what solutions they can come up with in the realms of east-west communications, service-to-service communications, and Zero Trust architecture. I believe that if they can provide for these areas, then they will be able to solve the overall integration and security concerns for microservices architecture in general."

What is our primary use case?

I lead the integration practices in my organization and have been working in integration for the past 16 years, managing API integrations with various API manager tools such as Kong Enterprise.

We are primarily using Kong for the API gateway functionality. For example, we've had a couple of mobile applications with outbound traffic where we would use the Kong Enterprise gateway to expose the API by applying authorization, authentication, and other security policies.

We have also used Kong for role-based access control mechanism (RBAC) and integrated it with our enterprise directory in order provide it with this form of access control.

There was another particular use case in which we performed some customization, as well. In that scenario, we wrote a Lua script on top of Kong to add an AppDynamics plugin to our web server, for observability and monitoring purposes.

Kong has been used over a large user base, not only because it's an enterprise application, but also because the mobile applications we worked with were B2C-based in the retail industry, so the number of users was quite high.

What is most valuable?

Another nice aspect of Kong Enterprise is the ability to customize it with Lua script, such as when we developed a way to provide observability for our web server with AppDynamics.

What needs improvement?

I have used Kong Enterprise for a year and a half.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Kong, WSO2, Microsoft and others in API Management. Updated: September 2022.
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I don't recall that we have faced any challenges in terms of stability. It has been a good, solid implementation.

It is scalable in the sense that, as we started putting things onto the cloud, we added one application and then we scaled up the same instance with Kong for multiple applications, which was where we served everything. And since it was a mobile B2C application focused on the retail sector, the number of users was quite high.

The tech support was good. We mainly used them when we needed help with our Lua plugin installation and they were responsive to our needs. The team we dealt with were based in Singapore.

We previously tried using Apigee, but for our needs, Kong was the right solution.

The setup wasn't that simple. There was definitely a learning curve because Lua as a language was new to us and so we had to learn about Lua script first. At the same time, we also faced some other challenges in the implementation where we had to ask for professional support from Kong Enterprise.

The technical team working on our Kong deployment included three or four people on the infrastructure side and another two or three involved in development.

I don't have any information on licensing costs currently.

We also evaluated different options such as those provided by Mulesoft and others.

What other advice do I have?

Kong Enterprise is a good API gateway and API management product which is based on lightweight and high-performance software. However, there will likely be a learning curve for beginners because they are using Lua script, which is not that popular. Regardless, anybody coming from a core software and integration background should be okay.

It's always good to keep in mind that you should use Kong for the purpose it is meant for, rather than overloading it or overburdening it with use cases that are not appropriate.

I would rate Kong Enterprise a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Vice President – Technology and Architecture at a venture capital & private equity firm with 51-200 employees
    Developers and Architects favourite, great for initial adaptors, companies scaling up
    • "Good at intercepting traffic and modeling APIs around that."
    • "They could focus more on pricing."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution was a secure API Gateway hosted on public cloud infrastructure. The  manageability, deployment architecture options and scalability were key considerations. Kong is great at organising our API ecosystem and providing the required manageability, scalability observability and  security.

I'm the vice president of technology and architecture and we are customers of Kong Enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

Kong is our API and Micro-services backbone.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity, its plugin architecture and scalability.
    The new Developer Portal,  intercepting traffic and modeling APIs around that is great.

vibrant community support and an open source DNA

What needs improvement?

Kong has a huge community and lot of open source implementations and satisfied users.

The motivation to move to Enterprise edition is still license and cost based. Kong can look at different options like managed and Hosted PaaS, different consumption tiers to make the transition practical and easier.

I've been using Kong for the past 3+ years. Have done two opensource API Gateway Implementations. Evaluated and considered Enterprise edition more than once. No qualms or complaints. There open source version works for most of the cases. Solid product.

The stability is fine. We had one outage because of our own infrastructure operations. Other than that, from a stability  perspective it runs smoothly because of the very good underlyingKong  platform architecture.

Misconfigured plug-ins mess up your environment. Always have the configuration preserved or implement Kong using Terraform scripts or using other config as code options.

Kong is a super scalable product as far as my current experience goes. The scalability is awesome. We could scale up easily and could organise our as multiple clusters and secure them.

I believe the technical support is good although I haven't had to use it much.

Mulesoft, Tibco Mashery, Oracle SOA, webMethods,WsO2 and SAP products  and all of them

The initial setup was relatively straightforward. There were some small issues with documentation.  Deployment took a couple of weeks. One of the neat things about Kong is the huge community they have and there's a lot of help that comes from there. It gives you the plugins and solutions  for you to be self-sufficient.

Implemented on our own

Zero Investment on open source version. It works like enterprise grade. The enterprise version has lot of great features. Interms of ROI it’s intangible, we could deliver APIs for business needs Ina very agile manner.

I'm not sure of the licensing costs because they like to keep it confidential. As far as I know their enterprise license  is all or none one big bundle.

Well seen all of them.
    Kong is a developer friendly,  and ground up community supported platform.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend Kong, especially for people who are experiencing a cost bloat using other platforms. Great choice for startup,  scale ups and enterprises.

I would rate this solution an 8 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    September 2022
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ASHOK YADAV - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Open-source, has integrated plugins, simple to install, and has excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We have several microservices that are secure using Kong Enterprise. Our microservices are managed through Kong Enterprise API management.

We have integrated with IDP to secure it. We use multiple plugins that are bundled with Kong Enterprise.

What is most valuable?

The features of Kong are plugin-based network services. It enables us to include our security policy when creating customers.

Kong Enterprise has excellent plugin support. This is a feature that I was looking for.

What needs improvement?

The price could be lower.

I have been using Kong Enterprise for more than one year.

Kong Enterprise's stability has never been an issue for us.

Kong Enterprise scales easily.

We have more than 300 people who use this solution.

We have teams of 30 to 40 people running multiple products that are used with Kong Enterprise.

We had a problem with the 1.2 EMT enablement, and they provided a solution. They've been very helpful. The technical team is always available to help us with our problems.

In my previous company, I used an API.

The installation went well. It was good. This installation was completed by another team.

When I have installed this solution, I found it to be easy. For me, the installation takes about 15 to 20 minutes on average.

Because it is open-source, it should be less expensive than others.

The licensing fees are paid yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Kong Enterprise an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Manager Information Systems at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Good support, easy functionality, and low maintenance
    • "The most valuable features of Kong Enterprise are the out-of-the-box open source easy functionality."
    • "Kong Enterprise can improve the customization to be able to do the integration properly."

What is our primary use case?

Kong Enterprise was used for standard API gateway use cases for Microarchitecture.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Kong Enterprise are the out-of-the-box open source easy functionality.

What needs improvement?

Kong Enterprise can improve the customization to be able to do the integration properly.

I have been using Kong Enterprise for approximately two years.

The stability of Kong Enterprise could improve and the robustness around some of the modules.

Kong Enterprise can improve in scaling.

The support from Kong Enterprise is good.

The initial setup of Kong Enterprise is straightforward. The installation was easy.

There is not a lot of maintenance using Kong Enterprise.

There are many factors that influence the price of Kong Enterprise, such as scale, licenses, and usage.

What other advice do I have?

Kong Enterprise is a good solution. However, you need to have the ability to properly use it. You need to have in-house skills to make the optimum usage of the solution. It's not a solution that you can expect to be providing everything off the shelves. You have to create your own hooks to properly benefit.

I rate Kong Enterprise an eight out of ten.

ItielMaayan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Architect at AT&T
    Is reasonably priced and easy to install
    • "I like everything about it. It provides the security we need."
    • "We would like to see an automatic data API when we have a table in the database."

What is our primary use case?

A central API gateway solution.

How has it helped my organization?

The concept of using central API gateway is the change, not the product. Kong was selected based on our CBA (choose between alternative) process.

What is most valuable?

Almost everything needed is there.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see an automatic data API - when we have a database table or a store procedure - we want to be able to select it and the data API will be created automatically for GET and CRUD operations in OData format. This feature already exists in other solution and it is a game changer - reducing efforts, risks, and reliability.

I've used it for almost three or four years. I first implemented it eight or nine years ago.

The setup of Kong itself was very easy.

The price is reasonable compared to that of alternative solutions.

Everyone should conduct a CBA based on his requirements in order to choose the right solution for his organization.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Kong Enterprise at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Kong, WSO2, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: September 2022