Knack OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Knack is the #7 ranked solution in top No-Code Development Platforms and #16 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. PeerSpot users give Knack an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Knack is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure: Knack vs Microsoft Azure. Knack is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Rapid Application Development Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Knack?

Knack helps non-programmers easily build beautiful, data-driven web apps. Data can be imported from spreadsheets and converted to an online database. Tools like search, forms, and tables are used to build web apps that work with the data. Apps can be published to any site and adapt to the surrounding design. Multiple versions can be published to different sites and for different audiences. Developers can extend these apps with a RESTful API, custom CSS, and JS event handlers.

Knack Customers
  • United Way
  • U.S. Green Building Council
  • Cambridge University Press

Knack Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Knack pricing:
"This product has really good value, as it doesn't have a per-user cost, there's a flat fee."

Knack Reviews

NoelDillane - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at ITdirector.ie
Flexible and granular security options, good filtering, and the pricing model is cost-effective
  • "The security is the most valuable feature, in particular, the way I can give different access to different areas to different people, so you can really fine-tune access for different users."
  • "The user interface for the systems that you build can use some improvement because as it is now, you have to do a lot of HTML and CSS to make it look modern."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Knack is one of the products that we use to delivery business improvement/transformation for our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

I built quite a sophisticated business management system for a consultancy firm using this product. This includes an reporting, employee directory, CRM, Programme management, Training/Certification records for clients trainees and financial tracking and integration to Xero (inprogress)

What is most valuable?

The security is the most valuable feature, in particular, the way I can give different access to different areas to different people, so you can really fine-tune access for different users.

It's completely no code, so I can build all of the logic in workflow tools. You can build quite complex business logic and business workflows.

You've also got nice filtering and exporting of data from the system.

The pricing model is very good.

When you want to extend or customize it, you can do so using JavaScript CSS, and HTML, so you're not limited to what you get from Knack.

It integrates well with Zapier, which is an integration toolset. This means that you can integrate it into other systems, as well. For example, I have integrated it with Google Sheets, Xero and most other cloud based business systems.

I was also able to integrate with Google Single Sign On so that the client can manage access from their Gsuite Control Panel. This was very easy to do

The interface looks great.

Being a cloud-based product, I don't have to worry about infrastructure, backup, dev ops etc

Their written support documentation is excellent and I find their support very good.

What needs improvement?

The vendor does a really poor job of marketing this software because it should be more popular. This is something that I have pointed out to them. It's a super piece of software, but very few people are aware of it. I am an EX-IT director and I've worked in big systems, and I'm amazed this solution isn't more popular.

The "native" integration with other products could be improved.

The user interface for the systems that you build can use some improvement because as it is now, you may have to use HTML and CSS to make it look more modern or to match a clients existing look.

The documentation is amazing, although they don't do videos and their YouTube channel is very poor. They could create some training videos.

Rapid Application Development Software
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Knack, Caspio, Zoho and others in Rapid Application Development Software. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using Knack for approximately one year.

I find their support to be very good.

I looked a few similar products including Airtable but they were cost prohibitive as they mostly all charge by user.

This product provides really good value, as it doesn't have a per-user cost, there's a flat fee. So, if you have 100 users or 200 users accessing the system that you build, there's no difference in the cost. Rather, it depends on the amount of data. The pricing model is a big plus for me. That's probably the number one reason I use it, and most of the people I talk to who use it, that's the reason they do as well.

Unlike Airtable and any of those other systems, where they charge $10 per user per month, this system has a flat-fee tier.

I looked at Airtable but the run costs were 10X that of Knack.Also looked at Appsheet, Betty Blocks, CAspio, Kintone, Filemaker, Quickbase, TrackVia.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation for anybody who is looking at Knack is that it's for multi-user system scenarios, where it's really data-oriented. I probably wouldn't use it as a mobile app dev platform but you can apply css/html to make it more responsive for mobile. It's ideal if you've got multiple users out in the field, spread geographically, you want to provide them access to data, or they need to input data and have rules and data validation for applications that you'd never have on a shared spreadsheet. Knack is just super for that type of scenario.

Overall, I am a big fan of Knack.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.