IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Juniper WLC Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper WLC Series is #15 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. PeerSpot users give Juniper WLC Series an average rating of 10 out of 10. Juniper WLC Series is most commonly compared to Cisco Wireless: Juniper WLC Series vs Cisco Wireless. Juniper WLC Series is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Wireless LAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Juniper WLC Series?
WLC Series Wireless LAN Controllers deliver and manage wireless local area networks with the highest level of reliability, performance, security, and management in the industry. They integrate secure, wireless LANs with any size wired infrastructures, from small branch offices to the largest enterprise or university campus.

Juniper WLC Series was previously known as Juniper WLAN.

Juniper WLC Series Customers
Apollo Hotel Papendrecht, Armstrong Atlantic State University, Bajaj Capital, Baloise Insurance, BAS Group, Borealis, Danish Crown, Deloitte Belgium, Jan Yperman Hospital, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, MercaSID, S.A., NHTV Breda University, Parklands College and Christopher Robin Pre-Primary, San Antonio Community Hospital, Sandia National Laboratories, Springfield Public Schools (SPS), St. Catherine University, TalkTalk, The Education Village, University of Copenhagen, University of the Highlands and Islands, University of the West of Scotland (UWS), Valdosta State University, Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec), zulily
Juniper WLC Series Video

Archived Juniper WLC Series Reviews (more than two years old)

ErwinVos - PeerSpot reviewer
Coordinator/Senior IT Specialist at a library with 51-200 employees
Good scalability but the solution has stopped developing
  • "There weren't any scalability issues, the product did what it had to do."
  • "The biggest issue was that Juniper stopped developing, so we had to look for another solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am a coordinator and senior IT specialist and we use the product to provide wireless to our customers. There are about 1,000 people using the product in the company. At the time of deployment, we'd moved to a new location so there was no previous wireless option on site.

What is most valuable?

I can't say that there's anything valuable in the product now. We've reached end-of-life with it and are now getting an alternative solution.

What needs improvement?

The biggest issue was that Juniper stopped developing, so we had to look for another solution. If they were to continue development, I would like to see a decent portal functionality, WPA3, and support. Probably some kind of API as well.

I've been using Juniper WLC Series for about seven years now.
Wireless LAN
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Cisco, Aruba Networks and others in Wireless LAN. Updated: June 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We had some initial issues with stability, but it was solved after some time and there were no further problems.

There weren't any scalability issues, the product did what it had to do.

The technical support was fine until they stopped developing the product and then it was bad because there was no support. We have one person in the company responsible for maintenance.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Deployment of the product took a few months and we used a consultant for that purpose. We have recently moved to implementing Aerohive. They are an ongoing business so the product is fully supported and it has the latest technology, and it's a cloud-based solution. I would rate the Juniper a seven out of 10.

it_user183693 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides a sound Wi-Fi infrastructure

What is most valuable?

• Client load balancing
  • Multiple SSID support

How has it helped my organization?

Provides reliable and effective Wi-Fi to our clients and it is very scalable for high density installations.

Two years. (WLA522 AP)

Deployment in conjunction with WLC and ringmaster caused no issues.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Changed solution as the demand for Wi-Fi grew.

Set-up was was in conjunction with third-party vendor and it was fairly straightforward.

High.

As always other options were looked at during the initial phases of the project.

What other advice do I have?

• Suited our needs
  • Fairly straightforward to set up
  • Provides a sound Wi-Fi infrastructure
Wireless LAN
June 2022
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user175590 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Do a proof of concept to make sure you like the product then go for it

What is most valuable?

The Scalability it has has to add up to 256 Wireless Access Points for future expansion.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows end users to roam the office and be productive wireless without being plugged into an Ethernet cable

Juniper WLC880R - one year

No deployment has issues everything went great

No as long as you upgrade to current software release from Juniper

No as it can handle 256 wireless access points

10 out of 10

10 out of 10 as they stay with you until they fix the problem

No previous solution used.

Straightforward

Through vendor team very professional consultants and very knowledgeable about the product.

I was not part of the choosing of the product.

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof of concept to make sure you like the product then go for it.

it_user175578 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Start small then grow

Valuable Features

• Ranagement Flexibility - RingMaster (8/10)
  • Virtualisation of Infrastructure (WLCv case)
  • Controllers (9/10)

Room for Improvement

WLCv was a product at the being of its evolution, so there was room for improvement there.

Use of Solution

2 years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

I've never executed scalability tests, but others did and there were no big issues there.

Very good. They have very experienced engineers on the site I worked on.

The initial setups are pretty straightforward. They have good enough installation user guides.

Implementation Team

In-house.

Other Advice

Start with a small implementation and if it suits the needs for the business, then go for larger deployments.