IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Juniper Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper Ethernet Switches is #7 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Juniper Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8 out of 10. Juniper Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Juniper Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Juniper Ethernet Switches?

Juniper Ethernet Switches are made up of the EX Series product line. These EX Series Ethernet Switches provide branch, campus and data center networks with access, aggregation and core layer switching solutions. The end result is secure, fast and efficient application and data delivery.

Today's enterprise networks increasingly demand mobile access, optimal availability, virtualization, and unified communications. The Juniper Ethernet Switches EX Series caters for all of these requirements, ensuring business continuity, network flexibility and maximum productivity.

Juniper Ethernet Switches was previously known as Juniper EX Series.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Juniper Ethernet Switches Customers

BlackLotus, Staminus, Community Bank, BAS Group, Cloud Dynamics, Privalia, Fluidata, and Tesla Motors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Video

Juniper Ethernet Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "Their prices are competitive and not bad. It is cheaper than Cisco. We have a yearly license."
  • "Juniper costs less than the competition. As a comparison, Cisco is 33% more."
  • "We had a leakage in the support process and decided to end the product's life in order to purchase a new product with support. We did not renew product support as a result."
  • "Relatively affordable per switch."
  • "The pricing for the support is very high."
  • "You don't need to license every switch. We only chose to cover support on core/key equipment and keep a cold spare available when needed."
  • "The pricing is very aggressive."
  • Juniper Ethernet Switches Reviews

Network Admin at a government with 11-50 employees
    Excellent scalability and good feature-set, pricing, and support
    • "The thing that sets Juniper apart from most switches is that when you're in the command line and you make a configuration change, you just write the command and then say "commit confirmed minutes". For example, I'm configuring a switch here in my office, which is five miles away, and I say, "commit confirmed 5". If I can't get back to the interface within five minutes to be able to make sure the switch came up, it rolls back to the previous configuration. This way I do not get locked out, or the switch doesn't get messed up because of the incorrect configuration. That's an automatic feature, which is pretty slick. I haven't seen that feature with other vendors that I've worked with. That's probably my most favorite feature."
    • "The initial setup for Juniper switches is complex. Juniper has a new program that solves that problem a little bit, but it is expensive, so I don't use it. It is Juniper Mesh, Juniper Wire, or something like that where you plug in a switch, and it goes out to their cloud, finds a config, and brings it down. So, you can do everything cloud-based, but there is a fee for that. It is expensive, so I've never used it. If we were starting, we would try to do something like that. It is more for a large enterprise for managing hundreds of switches versus what we're doing. They should make its price more cost-effective or include it for new or smaller companies."

What is our primary use case?

We use it across our whole environment. We use it for everything from our core to our edge. It is basically deployed everywhere. A good percentage of our Juniper switches are in a stacked array. For example, we do four 48-port switches for a wiring closet in a building. They're all stacked together, and they call it ActivChassis. Most companies, such as HP, ADTRAN, also do the same kind of thing. So, we do a virtual chassis formation in our wiring closet. For smaller buildings that only need one switch, we do a single switch at the distant end.

We have a lot from the 2300 Series. We have one 3300 and quite a few from the 3400 Series. We also have one 4550, and we have also been buying the 4350 series ones.

What is most valuable?

The thing that sets Juniper apart from most switches is that when you're in the command line and you make a configuration change, you just write the command and then say "commit confirmed minutes". For example, I'm configuring a switch here in my office, which is five miles away, and I say, "commit confirmed 5". If I can't get back to the interface within five minutes to be able to make sure the switch came up, it rolls back to the previous configuration. This way I do not get locked out, or the switch doesn't get messed up because of the incorrect configuration. That's an automatic feature, which is pretty slick. I haven't seen that feature with other vendors that I've worked with. That's probably my most favorite feature.

A nice thing about Juniper is that they also have a GUI interface, and it is a little bit better than most other vendors. Their GUI interface does more than a lot of other vendors.

Another nice thing about Juniper is that their training is available for free on their website. I wanted to get certified with Juniper, and I did it for free. On the entry-level exam, they pay for 75% of the exam if you take it through their website.

What needs improvement?

The negative of Juniper is that their command-line coding is a lot different than any other vendor, so there is a fairly steep learning curve to it.

The initial setup for Juniper switches is complex. Juniper has a new program that solves that problem a little bit, but it is expensive, so I don't use it. It is Juniper Mesh, Juniper Wire, or something like that where you plug in a switch, and it goes out to their cloud, finds a config, and brings it down. So, you can do everything cloud-based, but there is a fee for that. It is expensive, so I've never used it. If we were starting, we would try to do something like that. It is more for a large enterprise for managing hundreds of switches versus what we're doing. They should make its price more cost-effective or include it for new or smaller companies.

One advantage that Cisco has is that there are a billion people who use it, so there are a lot more publications or books, whereas, with Juniper, you really can't find a current book. Everything that you have is from their website. They have a lot of documentation on their website, which is good, but if you're a person like me who likes having a hardback book, you're not going to find one that's current. If I wanted to be at home and learn something and read about it, I won't be able to do that. It is going to be a PDF, so you either have got to print it out, or you have to read it online. Sometimes, being older and having bad eyes, that's not good.

We probably started using it four years ago.

Its stability is good.

Its scalability is excellent. It is being used extensively. We're going to finish off other vendors this year. It is going to be all Juniper.

Their technical support is good. Our experience with them has been good.

We have been supporting three different vendors: HP, ADTRAN, and Juniper. Our environment was getting old. So, we just started replacing things that were ten or eight years old. This year, we're replacing everything so that we're just one shop, and we don't have to support three different vendors. It is tough to support three different OS, so that's why we are finishing others off.

Juniper's GUI interface is a little bit better than most other vendors, but Juniper's command line is tougher than HP. HP has the easiest interface. On an HP switch, you can just write a command, and it automatically knows where to go. Juniper has a very hierarchal kind of structure, and you have to be within that framework of what you're trying to do to make that change. That's why it is a little bit harder. Juniper commands are also a little bit longer, but it is easy to fill out commands by using a question mark or a tab. It'll then auto-fill if you're typing it correctly, which is nice.

Juniper is better in terms of if you make a mistake. When you make a command mistake on HP, you don't necessarily get to know. On Juniper, if you're using a command and you get it all set up, and then you hit commit, it won't commit if there is a syntax error or some other issue. It will tell you that there is an error and you got to fix it. It also tells you what it is, but knowing the commands is the hard part.

It was complex. The first few that we got were tough, and sometimes, they still can be tough. It has definitely a steep learning curve. If you are an organization that has never used it before, it is going to be tough.

If you know what you're doing, you can get a switch done in a couple of hours. If you're new, it is going to take you days to weeks, depending upon how much you want to get it to work. So, it is kind of complex.

I use SecureCRT to configure all my switches, which replaces Putty and is made by VanDyke software. It is not that expensive and costs around $90. Using SecureCRT has made things easier for me, and it has really helped me with Juniper. If you're familiar with Putty, it works really well. It gives you options to store all of your commands. So, when I'm building a new switch, I have all the commands that I normally use, such as the commands to set up the IP address or a route. I don't have to memorize the commands. I can just double-click the set route command and then just change a variable.

For the first two switches, we used the reseller from whom we bought the switches. Someone from their company came in and installed the first two switches. After that, we looked at his configs and figured out how to do it, and since then, we did it on our own. Our experience with the reseller was good.

Maintenance is handled by two of us in my department, but we do so many other things. We are Network Admins.

Their prices are competitive and not bad. It is cheaper than Cisco.

We have a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

It has more features than I'm currently using. Their support is fine, and their prices are also competitive. It is cheaper than Cisco, so I would definitely recommend it over Cisco because of the price.

Juniper provides training for free on their website. You can do all their courses for free through their website. I would highly recommend doing these courses. They are free, which is awesome. You're not going to get free Cisco courses.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10. The only reason for not giving it a 10 is its high learning curve. In terms of capabilities and feature set, it is right up there.

Neil Griggs - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Enterprise Design Group
    An impeccable solution that services any size business and competes with the biggest brand names
    • "One of the nicest things about Juniper switches is they work well with other vendor products. When you have to go into a situation where other vendor switches are present, you can make it work."
    • "You willuse almost every feature on every switch to some degree because the utility is valuable."
    • "There is no end to the ability to scale Juniper."
    • "This solution is impeccable."
    • "The security features for the product should be more unified for the product regardless of the product model."
    • "We need to start seeing some kind of AI to assist with some of what we really want to accomplish from a policy standpoint to achieve better efficiency."

What is our primary use case?

A lot of our deployments are hybrid cloud that we do for clients. We are personally using an on-premises installation.

Our clients' use cases for Juniper Ethernet Switches are pretty broad as far as the industries covered. There are clients that are urgent care facilities, physician's offices, legal offices, restaurants — it really runs across the boards as far as industries. The USDA has a number of Juniper switches that we put in for them.

What is most valuable?

When you are doing switching for anybody — it could be Motorola or Sprint or a restaurant that is relatively small and has 45 employees — it does not matter. They all have the same PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance needs. If they are in the medical industry in urgent care — like Duke Medical System or just a freestanding office — they all still have the same HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliance. When we are configuring switches, we are not only looking at port density in terms of the number of devices that are hooking to it. We are also looking at the VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) configurations and a number of other things. Whether you are dealing with multilink, VLANs, being able to specifically control certain ports, control certain applications, or whatever, you are using almost every feature to some degree on every switch because the utility is valuable.

One of the nicest things about Juniper switches is they work well with other vendor products. When you have to go into a situation where other vendor switches are present, you can make it work.

What needs improvement?

Whether you are a Fortune 500 company or a small operation, you might have the same requirements for security features. There are security features related to Mac addresses that are present and high-end switches that lack some of the same flexibility in the lower-end switches. We may be talking about the difference between an EX2300 and an EX5500 model switch. It is the same manufacturer. It would be nice to have more of that security relevance in every level switch, regardless of the price tag or the model. It is just like the fact that you have the VLAN capability on all of them. I think the security features should generally be more available instead of scaled up and down with the product.

Going into the future, you will probably see more fully meshed networks that have multiple internet-facing routes. These should go in an SD-WAN on a fiber-based VLAN. You may have coax services like Spectrum or Cox Cable providing internet avenues. Or you may also have a 4G or 5G modem doing the same thing in providing additional connection avenues. In the end, I think that the switching on that type of architecture and the routing needs to get a little more intuitive.

Obviously, you can take care of the situation with routing tables and other methods. I think we are going to need to start seeing some kind of AI to assist with some of what we really want to accomplish from a policy standpoint to achieve better efficiency.

I have been using Juniper switches for probably a little over 15 years.

I love the stability of Juniper. I look for stability in this type of product. When I have to put my hands on something repeatedly because of problems — endemic or quasi failures, where the OS just kind of locks up and stops performing — I call them insanity failures. I rarely see that in Juniper or WatchGuard or any of those guys. I like that and that is why I lean toward using those products.

Is there an end to the ability to scale Juniper? If there is, I have never seen it and I would know because I do data center design. Before I did what I am doing now, I was a director of new technology for Sprint PCS. We equipped to handle a lot of routing and I do not know if there is a scalability issue in the end.

Our clients are a mix of industries that are small, medium, or large businesses. This product can service all of them. The scalability is really very good.

You always end up using technical support here and there for something. I would give them a pretty high rating. Some of that technical support I reached out for has been in design implementation. I think once we did have a DOA (Dead On Arrival) switch. But things like that are rare and Juniper is very responsive. They are always pretty responsive. Overall it is a good company.

I would give the technical support a nine. I do not know if there is any company that I know of whose technical support would rate as a ten-of-ten. I am saying they are a nine, but there really is nothing lacking compared to the competition.

The installation of Juniper switches is pretty much straightforward.

Juniper is less expensive than competing products and as much as 33% less than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Whether you are on the lower end of the business scale with a smaller portfolio, or whether you are a Fortune 500 or 1000 company, you can not go wrong with Juniper's back-end products. It is a cost-effective solution in comparison to the competition. I do not like to have to touch switches or routers or anything of that nature unless I am doing a new configuration or a firmware upgrade. The Juniper product helps me with that by having impeccable reliability.

Saying that this solution is impeccable could be the entirety of my review.

I have been a network architect for a long time. At one time in my career, I thought Nortel and Juniper were on par. They were the two best-engineered equipment supplier manufacturers out there from both a cost and performance standpoint. I had never been a big Cisco fan. The number one reason behind that is the per-port cost for Cisco is 30% higher than everybody else. Number two, they have too many proprietary protocols that are not friendly with what other technicians know. That is particularly true on their routers. I found that in practice, we had to reboot the Cisco products in enterprise and Fortune 500 company levels too many times. When you had 400 and 500 sites out there and you had to rebuild the routing tables, you were screwed. We did not ever have that same problem with Nortel or Juniper.

So I got a bad taste in my mouth from Cisco many years ago. I spend a lot of time in cybersecurity and I find the Cisco IOS is one of the most vulnerable and most often patched by comparison to other high-end vendors, like Juniper. I have very few problems with Juniper products and they are easy to configure. They do a good job and they just continue doing it for a long time.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a ten overall for where they are in technology, their solid engineering, and the product. That includes the software and the hardware.

Even the lack of a few features is not a point to knock them down to a nine because we are on a road where we are taking a trip. I do not care what the literature says, SD-WAN is still new. We are still pushing the envelope on how we want to use it and how we want to design our systems to work with it. I can not mark Juniper down for being on the cutting edge of innovation.

Juniper Ethernet Switches
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Juniper Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Federal Field Systems Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
    Flexible, good performance, and easy to scale
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the Junos operating system."
    • "Some areas of technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and we are vendor agnostic. We try to find a solution that best fits the customer's needs and this is one of the products that we implement for them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Junos operating system. It's an open-source operating system that lets you use the programming languages with it, to tailor it. You can develop automation scripts with JSON or other different programming languages.

Most of the switches are SDN ready, they are 5G ready, and they are going to incorporate wireless into their switches.

It's a flexible platform.

In terms of speed, being the total processing speed and total bandwidth per box, they usually outpace most competitors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches meet the needs of just about every customer.

What needs improvement?

There are no weaknesses that I know of with Juniper.

When it comes to Juniper and other vendors such as Cisco, it comes down to pricing. Customers want value for the least amount of money.

Some areas of technical support could be better.

With this current company I have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for two years but for me, I have worked with them off and on for 20 years.

This solution is stable, it's rock solid.

Juniper Ethernet Switches are scalable. If you want to scale, you can go from a small enterprise switch up to service provider-type switches, and the configurations are going to be the same.

Technical support is good. None of them are great, but I think they are pretty good. It depends on who you get, from level 1 and up.

From sales technical support, they are excellent. From technical support out in the field, they might be average. Experiences may vary.

Some can be technically smart, but they haven't had the experience of actually troubleshooting and going through scenarios.

I am mainly in sales support. If I have to go in and do some configuration, it's pretty straightforward.

It's not complex, but it is generally other SEs who configure the switches and routers.

What other advice do I have?

You can have Junos as your operating system but if you wanted to write a script to automatically update all of the versions of your software, you can do that automatically.

If you wanted to gather information, you can write a script using JSON, or Python. This is already available on the Junos operating system.

Cisco is the most popular, but if you have seasoned or experienced people like DevOps that write code and they are engineers, then Juniper would be the better choice because they have the flexibility to do that. Cisco is starting to catch up now, where you can automate Cisco's switches using the same methods. To this point, Junos has been way ahead of Cisco in that aspect.

Because of our relationship, customers can better pricing with us. Cisco tends to be a little higher.

Before getting started you have to know your network, know the current state of your network, and know what are the pain points of your network are. Do you see bottlenecks in your network? Is your equipment responsive? Is your data backing up, because you don't have enough bandwidth? There are many factors to consider and it depends on the network and where the switches are going.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Fraud Risk Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Responsive technical support, easy to use interface and feature-rich
    • "In terms of performance, Juniper switches have a more user-friendly interface and more features than Cisco products."
    • "The only issue that we have with Juniper Ethernet Switches is the firmware because it is not stable."

What is most valuable?

In terms of performance, Juniper switches have a more user-friendly interface and more features than Cisco products. However, in terms of commands, Cisco is simple to use, and the command line is easier to use.

What needs improvement?

The only issue that we have with Juniper Ethernet Switches is the firmware because it is not stable.

When the power goes out, it's possible that it has become corrupted, and we couldn't continue because the switches stopped working. As a result, Juniper products were affected. Also, the power circuits may become corrupted after five years. It is, however, stable in Cisco switches.

We think it's popular. We prefer to use Cisco CLI commands rather than Juniper CLI commands.

I have been working with Juniper Ethernet Switches for ten years.

The product's stability after five or six years is less than that of Cisco.

We have approximately 200 users in our company.

I don't choose products by name, but we develop the technical specifications, and any vendor who can meet the technical specifications will be accepted. The tender, financial, and commercial processes will begin, and we will come to an agreement on the list price.

Our developers are in another department.

Technical support is very good.

Several times during the warranty period, we requested support. The response was very fast, they came to support us the next day. However, we did not extend the warranty after the warranty period had expired.

We are also working with Cisco Switches. Cisco Switches are more stable in terms of hardware and firmware. rather than Juniper Switches.

We only use these switches, the EX200 and the 20. We didn't use any other products with Juniper.

Juniper's initial setup was completed in collaboration with a partner. This happened about ten years ago.

It is sufficient for one technical person to install the switches and another to configure them.

The partner completed the deployment in one day for about 13 switches, making it very simple.

After the configuration, the partner brought his technicians to mount the switches.

What other advice do I have?

Juniper products are very stable. I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

Network Engineer at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
    Affordable product with lifetime warranty and good support
    • "The most valuable feature is that Juniper is multiple kernels, so there's isolation, which means you won't get a process that runs away, creating problems across the whole platform."
    • "Has a steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of this solution is for core switching and routing.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We had been introduced to MIST as a result or procuring 9 EX4600 switches and the associated MIST licenses.  Unfortunately we found out that MIST does not support legacy switches, namely EX2200 which we have 100 Plus, so this requires us to invest time and resources in order to learn the opensource alternatives for automation, or plan for an upgrade of the EX2200 which requires a significant investment.

Personally learning the open source alternatives is an extremely valuable skill to add to the toolbox, as well as move the District forward with automation.

I've been using this solution for two to three years.

Juniper's stability is solid - it suffers from some bugs, like any product, but other than that, it's stable.

There are no issues with the scalability - we went with this product because it supported ten gigs and the switches are stackable. You scale the platform to meet your needs, and it scales to meet our needs.

Technical support has resolved any problems I've had in a relatively quick amount of time.

I've have experience with Cisco, Brocade, Dell, and Foundry Networks, with inheriting an inventory of 150+ Juniper switches and investing time in learning juniper, a more to another vendor is not an option we are considering.

The initial setup isn't very straightforward at first - it took me a day or two to deploy my first Juniper switches. It gets easier with practice, but it's a steep learning curve for anyone who hasn't touched Juniper.

Implementation was in-house.

Juniper's switches have a lifetime warranty, so you don't have to pay for replacements for defective items (though you can't buy spare replacements). It's relatively affordable per switch and pretty similar to other vendors' costs for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I started using Juniper two and a half years ago with zero experience, and it was a steep learning curve, but I've become a fan of this product. I would advise others to consider vendors other than Cisco, including Juniper. I'd give this solution a score of nine out of ten.

System Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliable, high capacity switches but the pricing for support needs improvement
    • "The virtual Chassis feature for stacking is good in general, with high bandwidth for the link, which is good."
    • "The management platforms for the network need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We offer many solutions to customers and the Juniper Ethernet Switches are part of our offering.

What is most valuable?

For switching, it's stable compared to others.

The switching capacity is very high, and the virtual Chassis feature for stacking is good in general, with high bandwidth for the link, which is also good.

Recently, they are offering cloud-ready switches for the same series. When you have decided to go for the cloud, there are switches that are ready for that.

What needs improvement?

The management platforms for the network need improvement.

The pricing for support needs to be reduced, and the lead time for the switches should be lower.

They may already be working on this but I would like to see improvements with visibility, analysis of the traffic, and similar features. When you compare with other manufacturers, they have to work in these areas more.

I have been using these switches since 2014, it's been for six years.

We offer the latest technology but sometimes from three to five years, and we are offering refreshment, and whatever has been announced by the industry.

These switches are stable.

It is easy to scale. They have a stacking feature so you can scale up, for certain series, up to 12 switches per rack. Also, in terms of distribution or core switches, they have modular devices so they can add cards and modules to scale up.

I have not contacted technical support directly. We have a different team who handle the technical requirements.

Because we are solution providers, we use many different versions.

The initial setup is somewhat straightforward.

The time it takes for deployment depends on the site by the situation, the customer requirements, and the size of the network. Normally, it doesn't take very long.

When you compare with others, it's almost the same thing.

The pricing for the support is very high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches, but what I would also highly recommend along with this new trend or new experience is to at least get training for Juniper configuration, at least the basics.

Training will help you be more familiar with it. You will at least have the basics in case of maintenance or troubleshooting.

Juniper has good documentation for its ethernet switches.

I would rate Juniper switches a seven out of ten.

D6B8 - PeerSpot reviewer
    District Technology at INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 196
    User
    Junos is extremely flexible and easy to pick up
    • "Junos OS is extremely flexible and easy to pick up."
    • "The management tools are limited in their abilities, and suffer from upgrade problems."
    • "The updates are constantly breaking."

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Juniper for all of our switching/routing infrastructure. Core, aggregate, and access layers are all made up of Juniper components. We also procured and use Junos Space as well as Network Director.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved to Juniper from an outdated Cisco environment, so the immediate change was extremely dramatic (as it should be with any new vendor). In regards to Junos Space Network Director, we are able to have more visibility into the whole infrastructure than we were able to previously.

What is most valuable?

We have found Junos to be the most valuable feature. It is extremely flexible and easy to pick up. The layout (similar to .XML) does take some time to get used to, but there are commands you can use to help alleviate these concerns.

What needs improvement?

Updates and management tools:

• The updates are constantly broken, which has been a problem for years. You definitely need to read the release notes to understand the whole situation before upgrading.
    • The management tools are nice, but they are limited in their abilities. The tools suffer from upgrade problems.

Six years.

When upgrading to a new Junos version, we had to revert back once. We found out the chassis was having major problems. This was noted in the community forum. Stability for long term releases are pretty good seem to be stable, but keep in mind that upgrading to newer code might mean bugs.

There are no problems with scalability. The ability to add switches to a virtual-chassis means adding/removing is an easy task.

Support is hit and miss. Currently, we have had issues with support. Juniper called me back about a bad review. It was nice speaking to somebody on the phone. I felt that they were taking my concerns seriously.

We previously used Cisco and Extreme Networks. We switched due to our planned refresh cycle, as well as cost.

We had a vendor do the initial setup and configuration.

We don't track ROI.

We had an open bid process. We evaluated Cisco, Extreme Networks, Brocade, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

It works with third-party SFPs.

Video conferencing Admin at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Robust, scalable, and easy to install, but it's expensive
    • "Both Juniper and Cisco switches are interoperable."
    • "I would like the ability to operate with other operating systems."

What is most valuable?

Both Juniper and Cisco switches are interoperable. They talk to each other.

The interoperability is very good, but with some switches, it is very rare.

What needs improvement?

The problem is with Juniper is the OS. Not everyone knows about Junos. If they are comfortable with using Junos then it will be the best switch. More people are accustomed to the Cisco platform, especially with the CLI or the graphical interfaces.

Juniper has its own operating system called Junos.

I would like the ability to integrate with other operating systems.

I have worked for Juniper for three years.

It is very strong and very stable.

It's scalable. With the Juniper switches, all switches are L3 switches, which is a three-layer switch.

The 24 port EX2300 comes with four slots of 10 gig fiber.

We have approximately 30 percent of the market share for clients.

There is no improvement needed with technical support.

The initial setup is very easy. The setup is not a problem, as long as you know the operating system very well, especially the Junos operating system.

As long as you understand the operating system, Juno's interface, and all of the commands, it doesn't take much time to deploy. It's very easy.

It's similar to Cisco, but you need to concentrate.

You need two to three people to maintain this solution.

The pricing is very aggressive. The only disadvantage with Juniper is the modules are very expensive lately.

It could be cheaper, but they are always expensive.

If you want support with Juniper you will have to use Juniper modules, otherwise, you don't get the technical support.

For example, third-party modules can be integrated into Cisco, but with Juniper, if you want technical support directly, you can only use the Juniper modules. When tech support takes control, they will recognize whether it is a Juniper module or third-party modules.

Juniper switches come with either one year, three years, or five years of support.

When comparing, Cisco comes with five years.

What other advice do I have?

If you look at the market shares, Cisco is more than Juniper.

I would definitely recommend this solution to others, but not Huawei. I would not recommend Huawei, there is no chance for Huawei in the market.

I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches a six out of ten.

Download our free Juniper Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: May 2022