We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense is #2 ranked solution in top Domain Name System (DNS) Security tools. PeerSpot users give Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense an average rating of 8 out of 10. Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella: Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense vs Cisco Umbrella. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense?

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense strengthens and optimizes your security posture from the foundation up, giving you the visibility, control and automation to secure the hybrid workplace. Operating at the DNS level, BloxOne Threat Defense uncovers threats that other solutions do not and stops attacks earlier in the threat lifecycle. Through pervasive automation and ecosystem integration, it drives efficiencies in SecOps, increases the effectiveness of the existing security stack, secures digital and work-from-anywhere efforts and lowers the total cost for cybersecurity.

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense was previously known as BloxOne Threat Defense, nfoblox ActiveTrust, Infoblox ActiveTrust Cloud.

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Buyer's Guide

Download the Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Customers

Council Rock School District, EagleView, Schneider Electric, Baptist Memorial Health Care, American University

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Video

Archived Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Reviews (more than two years old)

IgorVan Den Ouden
Network Architect at a retailer with 201-500 employees
Good granularity for control and checks DNS queries completely
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the granularity for which you can categorize what you want to block versus what you don't want to block."
  • "We would like to see more reporting capabilities that are now offered only with the on-premises reporting appliance."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for DNS defense, against DNS tunneling and data exfiltration.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the granularity for which you can categorize what you want to block versus what you don't want to block.

You have a direct connection with Infoblox support for everything that they're hosting at the in the bloxonecloud at the moment. You don't have to go through a partner.

This solution integrates with the Infoblox appliances, so you don't need Excel sheets or external databases to administer what you've got deployed. All of the IP addresses are known.

What needs improvement?

The documentation needs to be improved. This solution is being rapidly developed at the moment and the documentation is lagging behind. The integration examples in NIOS guide and online threatdefense online documentation don't always match up. To the current gui of the CSP platform.

We have been using this solution for about one and a half years.

This is a stable solution and we haven't had an outage here yet.

In the cloud, this solution is very scalable. Especially for the data exfiltration part because you don't have to rely on your on-premises CPU capacity, as it is done from Infoblox itself.

You don't even see how much it scales, although you have to adjust your subscription accordingly. It's actually a gentleman's agreement in terms of the license, so if you don't oversubscribe on your connections then they don't enforce the targets.

We have about four hundred mobile users who are being protected while they are off-premises, and internally we are defending about twenty-five hundred users.

It is used on a daily basis. All of our internal DNS queries are passed through this solution and we have approximately twenty thousand active IP addresses.

The technical support is good.

For everything in the cloud, support is called BloxOne. You get a reaction within one hour. They're experts at their own products and you get the right experts straight away.

I have experience with several firewall vendors including F10, Infoblox, Palo Alto, Cisco ACI, ASUS, and Nexus.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward.

In regards to on-premises appliances, the cloud solution is very straightforward.

With the internal infrastructure complete, the basic setup should be up and running in about an hour.

I performed the deployment.

One person is sufficient for deployment and maintenance.

The licensing is set up such that you pay for the number of active users that you're defending at the moment. It is similar to the model used by Cisco Umbrella.

One of the main differences between Infoblox and Cisco Umbrella is that Infoblox supports the DNS check completely, whereas Cisco Umbrella does not. You can also see the original client IP address and not just the outgoing IP address.

In terms of scalability, Infoblox is the better solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

MaanOthman
Presales Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great DNS protection with flexible licensing options
  • "With the model we have, we are able to scale very easily if we need to."
  • "The dashboard and reporting features need improvement. The user needs more informative dashboards so they can get to the results directly without getting deep in the report to get to the information."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for protecting DNS and customers from malware.

What is most valuable?

DNS Firewall can protect the DNS from DNS exploitation.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard and reporting features need improvement. The user needs more informative dashboards so they can get to the results directly without having to search deep into the report to pull out information.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is very stable.

With the model we have, we are able to scale very easily if we need to.

We rarely need to contact technical support, but when we do they are very helpful.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not trivial or easy to implement it, but it's also not that complicated. It's somewhere in between. Deployment typically takes two to three days. You don't need more than one or two people for deployment and maintenance.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

The solution offers two types of licensing options.

You can get a license on a one-year or three-year term. The cost depends on the services that you want to use and the number of users you have.

They now also have a subscription where you can pay on a monthly basis.

Usually, there is a cost for implementation either via the vendor or a local partner.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would advise others to take the whole DNS Firewall subscription because it will add value to their solution.

I would rate the solution at nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Ensures proper IP, prevents DDOS, but is missing endpoint solutions

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Infoblox is to ensure DNS security.

How has it helped my organization?

Infoblox DNS Firewall improved our organization by checking that all traffic came from a proper IP address.

What is most valuable?

The most important features for us are preventing DDOS DNS attacks.

What needs improvement?

Endpoint solutions need to improved.

Two weeks

So far the solution is really helping. The stability looks okay.

There are currently no users since we are in the POC state. Eventually, we will have around 1,000 users.

The setup was fairly…

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Infoblox is to ensure DNS security.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most important features for us are preventing DDOS DNS attacks.

What needs improvement?

Endpoint solutions need to improved.

Two weeks

So far the solution is really helping. The stability looks okay.

The setup was fairly straightforward. Deployment took about two days.

The implementation was done by the company itself.