IBM Security Secret Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Security Secret Server is the #11 ranked solution in top Privileged Access Management (PAM) tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Security Secret Server an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. IBM Security Secret Server is most commonly compared to Delinea Secret Server: IBM Security Secret Server vs Delinea Secret Server. IBM Security Secret Server is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Privileged Access Management (PAM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM Security Secret Server?

IBM Security Secret Server protects privileged accounts from hackers and insider threats, helps ensure compliance with evolving regulations, and allows authorized employees to seamlessly gain access to the tools and information they need to drive productivity. Easily detect, manage and audit privileged accounts, and control which applications are permitted to run on endpoints and servers to prevent malicious applications from penetrating the environment. IBM Security Secret Server is fast to deploy, easy to use and scalable for the enterprise.

IBM Security Secret Server was previously known as IBM Secret Server, Secret Server, IBM Security Privileged Identity Manager.

IBM Security Secret Server Video

IBM Security Secret Server Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Security Secret Server pricing:
"I believe that we paid 35,000 or 40,000 US dollars for it."

IBM Security Secret Server Reviews

Head of IT Security at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
User-friendly, granular features, and is simple to implement, but the technical support could be improved
  • "One of the most valuable features is scalability, and how it allows you to scale it without affecting the underlying core components."
  • "It would be preferable if the full proxy was included in the IBM Security Secret Server."

What is our primary use case?

I am an end-user. I primarily worked in two roles. I was the integrator; I installed the product and then went to the customer side to work with the product.

IBM Security Secret Server is used for the entire IT department administrators, all of whom connect via the solution, the IBM Secret Server, in order to access the servers or the target systems, whether they are Windows servers, Linux servers, databases, the core banking system, and so on.

What is most valuable?

It is one of the most well-known names in this field.

It's very easy to deploy, very simple to implement, and very user-friendly.

It has some granular features for the user roles section.

Pricing has distinct pricing criteria that count the number of users rather than the number of target systems. It doesn't matter if you have two users or five users connecting to 1000 different target systems; it will only count five licenses, not a thousand licenses, as many other technologies or vendors do, which is what make it outstanding in the market.

What needs improvement?

It requires customization, whereas out-of-the-box integrations do not. It takes a lot of coding and customization to integrate with so many different systems.

It is not a networking device, it does not support the full proxy features for all PAM, or Privilege Access Management, access for any target systems.

Other vendors have a full proxy feature, so we can't access the target system unless we go through the PAM server on the network. Because the IBM Security Secret Server lacks that feature, it will be proxified by the application rather than the network layer.

It's also not a hard-end appliance like BeyondTrust or One Identity.

Now, rather than just the application, you must obtain the hardware, install the operating system, and manage the operating system. The application is then installed.

Other vendors, as I have mentioned, such as BeyondTrust and One Identity, simply retrace the entire package, a hardened appliance. You do not have access to the operating system, you do not bear the burden of maintaining the operating system, you do not maintain the operating system's license, you do not install the SQL Server, and you do not install the web server. You don't do anything. You install and configure the entire package.

I have been working with IBM Security Secret Server for a year and a half.

If I am not mistaken, it was version seven.

Privileged Access Management (PAM)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Delinea, CyberArk and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: November 2022.
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is currently stable. But, once again, if something goes wrong with the underlying operating system, such as a missing update, or if something goes wrong with the web server or the SQL Server, it will affect the product.

One of the most valuable features is scalability, and how it allows you to scale it without affecting the underlying core components.

We have 30 users in our organization. We have a license for 30 administrators.

Unfortunately, the technical support is not very responsive because we purchased it from IBM; however, the actual support comes from Thycotic.

If you buy it from IBM, you are missing out on a lot. If you purchase it from Thycotic, you will receive full support, and access to the entire documentation library, knowledge base, and everything.

I would rate the technical support a four out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I've previously used Micro Focus Privilege Account Manager. But I haven't worked with it in over a year.

I also work with Thycotic.

Thycotic Secret Server is the same as IBM's product. IBM Secret Server plus IBM's product, it's an OEM that IBM purchased from Thycotic, it's the same product. The same item. You can purchase it from either Thycotic or IBM.

To some extent, it is straightforward, if you are doing a PoC, or you are doing a demo, it will be as smooth and as simple as clicking next, next, next.

However, if it is a large deployment, it will be complicated because the server components must be deployed on multiple servers.

If I had to rate a large deployment on a scale of one to ten, with one being the easiest, it could be one if you want it to be as simple as possible without requiring full redundant deployment. It will, however, be ten if you want to get the most out of it.

The service and issues that may arise outside of this solution make it difficult to maintain this solution.

I would rate the technical support a four out of ten.

Yes, there was a return on investment. It is not expensive.

It's been three years. I believe that we paid 35,000 or 40,000 US dollars for it.

That is for the standard license. The standard license covers many aspects.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to others, but the most important thing I would recommend is that the vendor provide professional service.

And this is something that applies to all PAM solutions. Purchasing PAM is simple, but it is extremely difficult to implement it in an efficient manner in order to get the most value out of it, which is why you should seek professional assistance from the vendor.

I would rate IBM Security Secret Server a seven out of ten.

Senior Presales Specialist at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Lightweight, helpful and comprehensive knowledge base, provides live session recording capabilities
  • "The live recording is a very useful feature."
  • "The newer interface is more difficult to use than the previous one, and consequently, new users might need more training."

What is our primary use case?

This is one of the products that we provide to our customers. Many of them work in the banking and industrial sector and

We have a POC in place with one of our customers right now.

The last use case that we worked on was for a customer in the banking sector. They wanted to create a workflow related to server access. The admin teams and IT managers wanted to have details about who was logging into the servers and what action done within session. They also used the advanced recording features to keep track of activities when vendors were logged in remotely.

The workflow option also handles approval for system admins from multi-IT managers.

For example, when a system administrator wants to log in from home using the VPN, a request is sent by email with reason why system admin login for to the IT managers, they can review the request, for example using a mobile device, and send an approval or denial for access.

The Remote password changer which Automates password changing, ensure password complexity according to compliance and regulation, and rotate credentials.

Discover Privileges - Identify all service, application, administrator, and root accounts and protect against backdoor account.

Good auditing, reporting, and alerts.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has been able to cover most of the requests from our customers.

What is most valuable?

There is good training material available online. Most of what I have learned about Secret Server and some of the other IBM products is from the IBM Security Learning Academy website. It's very helpful and useful.

The live recording is a very useful feature. Most of the competitors do not have this option.

This is a lightweight solution.

What needs improvement?

I Think Vendor always working on that as every period of time not so long a new release version is available which is mean research and development team always working and alerted for any request or change.
The newer interface is maybe confusing old customer that using previous one from their point of views, I think they will need little pass of time to be familiar with. But from my point of view, it more organized and allows arranging some lists in more than one mode".

I have been working with Security Secret Server for approximately one year.

This is a very stable product.

Scalability-wise, it is fine.

The knowledge base is very useful and I haven't had to open any support tickets with IBM because of this.

I would rate the support a nine out of ten.

No I didn't , but the most competitor to IBM secret server CyberArk, which is the most competitive alternative product, and some customers found Secret Server has almost all the same features as CyberArk. there is not much difference between them, but Secret Server is very easy to use and deal with.

The initial setup is straight forward and overall the implementation is very easy.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the site preparation. For example, sometimes there are ports needed to be opened by security team and some related to infrastructure that need to be done by system admins. Once the environment is ready, it will take an approximately from of five to ten days maximum to complete.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My Company is the distributor for IBM product and this is one of product we sell it