Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Security Network IPS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Security Network IPS is #20 ranked solution in top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Security Network IPS an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. IBM Security Network IPS is most commonly compared to Darktrace: IBM Security Network IPS vs Darktrace. IBM Security Network IPS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Security Network IPS?
IBM Security Network Intrusion Prevention System appliances are designed to stop constantly evolving threats before they impact your business. This means providing both high levels of protection and performance, while lowering the overall cost and complexity associated with deploying and managing a large number of point solutions.

IBM Security Network IPS was previously known as Security Network Intrusion Prevention System, IBM Security Network Protection, XGS, GX.

IBM Security Network IPS Customers
Equifax, Christian Hospital Centre
IBM Security Network IPS Video

Archived IBM Security Network IPS Reviews (more than two years old)

Shahrukh Dastur - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager-Business Analytics and Decison Systems at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Simple to use, quick to integration, and the cost of operations is low
  • "The most valuable feature is its simplicity."
  • "In the future, I would like to see a hybrid option so that we can work both on-premises and in the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

This product hosts global data for our entire organization. It is a data consolidation system and a full data mart.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its simplicity.

It is quick to integrate with transaction systems.

What needs improvement?

The features are slightly behind what else is available in the market, which is something that IBM has to improve on. When it comes to benchmarking the latest technology, IBM is a little bit slower in their releases.

In the future, I would like to see a hybrid option so that we can work both on-premises and in the cloud.

I have been using the IBM IBM Security Network IPS for almost eight years.

Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Darktrace, Trend Micro and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: September 2022.
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The durability is quite high and I would rate it a nine out of ten.

In terms of scalability, I would say that it is a little on the poor side. I would rate it a seven out of ten in this regard. The system has a high peak usage and we have between 1,000 and 1,300 users accessing it at any given time.

We definitely have plans to increase usage in the future.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

A long time back, we were using Microsoft SQL Server. However, at the time, the technology did not permit a very large volume of data. This is why we switched products.

This system is very easy to install. It is literally out-of-the-box.

The deployment took approximately three months.

We used a third-party to assist us with implementation and deployment.

We have a staff of three people who are responsible for maintenance. One of them manages the server and the other two handle data administration.

The cost of operations is very low.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I recommend, especially for organizations that want a quick integration of data from the transaction systems, with a very low cost of operations.

it_user157971 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Valuable features include signature based analysis and preventing different types of network attacks.

Valuable Features

Signature based analysis and preventing different types of network attacks.

Room for Improvement

The management server can be made more user friendly and also the database configuration could be made simpler.

Use of Solution

2.5 years.

Yes during the connectivity between management server and database server.

Yes sometimes while managing the same through management server.

Not really.

3.5 out of 5.

3.2 out of 5.

As mentioned earlier the configuration and setting up management server was a bit complex

Implementation Team

Through a vendor team. They were good enough to implement it smoothly.

ROI

ROI is fair as per the security is concerned.

Other Advice

Would advise people to use the product but only with the technical support in place for product.

Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS)
September 2022
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user149538 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior InfoSec Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The Configuration of this product is complex. It could me made more user friendly.

Valuable Features

1. The Inline Simulation
  2. Centralized management using IBM SiteProtector Server
  3. Customization of the Signatures

Improvements to My Organization

IPS has helped us in understanding more about the latest threats out there and made us realize that we need to be proactive when it comes to security rather then reactive

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

I have used this product for 4 Years

Yes, the Java version installed was the latest version which is not compatible with the Version the IPS supports. So had to remove and install an older version of Java so that initial configuration could be performed.

I haven't had any issues with stability.

I haven't had any issues with scalability.

The customer service was up to the mark. They provide detailed steps on how to solve a problem.

Good

Complex, Initial configuration can be done using the web console which is Java based. It only works with a older version of Java.

Implementation Team

In-House

Download our free Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Darktrace, Trend Micro, and more!
Updated: September 2022