IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Netezza Performance Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Netezza Performance Server is #8 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Netezza Performance Server an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. IBM Netezza Performance Server is most commonly compared to Oracle Exadata: IBM Netezza Performance Server vs Oracle Exadata. IBM Netezza Performance Server is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM Netezza Performance Server?
IBM Netezza appliances are now part of IBM PureSystems - expert integrated systems with built in expertise, integration by design and a simplified user experience. Part of the PureData family, the Netezza appliance is now known as the PureData System for Analytics. It has the same key design tenets of simplicity, speed, scalability and analytics power that was fundamental to Netezza appliances.

IBM Netezza Performance Server was previously known as Netezza Performance Server, Netezza.

IBM Netezza Performance Server Customers
Seattle Childrens Hospital, Carphone Warehouse, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Battelle, Start Today Co. Ltd., Kelley Blue Book, Trident Marketing, Elisa Corporation, Catalina Marketing, iBasis, Barnes & Noble, Qualcomm, MediaMath, Acxiom, iBasis, Foxwoods
IBM Netezza Performance Server Video

IBM Netezza Performance Server Reviews

Leonardo Salvino - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We are now able to analyze products, stores, suppliers and sales as quickly as we need.

How has it helped my organization?

In that occasion, the customer was one of the biggest retail companies of Brazil. The company uses SAP and other technologies to manage their transactional process but they didn't have an efficient way to process data and a better view about their business.

The appliance Netezza gave us the capability of process terabytes of data and gave us new directions and ideas to make the business more profitable. We are now able to analyze products, stores, suppliers and sales as quickly as we need to take a decision to handle any kind of issue or prevent loss of sales.

What is most valuable?

• Easy Deployment
  • No Indexes
  • Extremely fast to respond queries with high amount of data
  • Data distribution based on hashtable concept
  • Zonemap
  • Easy to migrate data

What needs improvement?

Concurrent Queries, with this model (1000-3), we had a very big problem using front-end tools connected on it. When using a dashboard tool to use data directly from the database, I had a big problem with queries being queued and stopped running. Looking at the manual I read that Netezza has a limited number or concurrent process.

For 5 years, I was the data architect responsible for the design, the implementation and optimization of all process related to it.

Data Warehouse
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Oracle, Micro Focus and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: July 2022.
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

No, I haven´t found any issues.

Yes. If the Demand for clock or disk space grow over the limit, it will be necessary to change the appliance, because it's not possible to upgrade any component of this machine. You have to buy a new one with a bigger capacity.

6/10 – Some issues about this equipment I had to discover by myself. I think that the vendor did not give me the best support to use the appliance. The machine is excellent, but I had to discover everything by myself as well figure out how to use the equipment in the best way.

6/10 – I don't know if it is related to the SLA of my customer, but I think that the things are not as fast as they should be when we need help.

I used to have Oracle as my Data Warehouse solution, but despite the fact of it is very good to manage transactional environments, it does not work as fast as Netezza. We have analytical demands so we need an analytical solution. Sometimes we need to retrieve and process our whole table of inventory so it means around 16 billion of rows. Netezza can process all this amount of data and give a result in less than 40 seconds. I have never seen this performance in another database solution before.

The setup was not complex. It was fine. Initially the vendor gave us all the support, including a hands-on course before using the machine.

We implemented by ourselves, my team and I implemented everything.

I do not have this information.

I am not able to give this information.

Yes, I evaluated Teradata and Exadata. Initially I thought that Teradata would be better, so my customer was not able to afford the costs. Now I am sure they made a good choice.

What other advice do I have?

Try to find someone who had already worked with this appliance to have some tips and advices to help you to use it as better as it can. I take too long to discover the best way to make it work well. With my team, I have created a data environment using Netezza as Data warehouse solution, ODI to run the ETL process, shell script. We have now five years of data stored in the Netezza database and we distribute data to all BI Applications easily and quickly. However, it would be better if we had some useful help in the past.

it_user365643 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user365643Sr Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

Hi Leo, this is a very helpful and detailed post I have read so far. Good job!

ASE at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Low maintenance, overall performs well, but interface could improve

What is our primary use case?

I am using IBM Netezza Performance Server for enterprise data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the IBM Netezza Performance Server are the NPS server because of the reduced maintenance and overall good performance.

What needs improvement?

IBM Netezza Performance Server could improve its interface, support for big data, and APA-based connectivity should be available.

I have been using IBM Netezza Performance Server for approximately seven years.

IBM Netezza Performance Server has a very good uptime rate. We do not have a lot of servers crashing, it is a high-availability solution.

The scalability of the IBM Netezza Performance Server is good.

We have more than 5,000 users using IBM Netezza Performance Server indirectly. We use BI tools, such as Oracle OBIEE vs QlikView which we use to develop reports and these tools connect to IBM Netezza Performance Server.

I have not contacted the support from IBM. However, our team has connected them.

We used a third party to do the implementation of the solution. There were approximately 25 people for the operation and it took approximately eight months.

We have two people who do the maintenance for IBM Netezza Performance Server.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Netezza Performance Server a seven out of ten.

Download our free Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Oracle, Micro Focus, and more!
Updated: July 2022