Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Integration Bus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Integration Bus is #3 ranked solution in top ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Integration Bus an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. IBM Integration Bus is most commonly compared to Mule ESB: IBM Integration Bus vs Mule ESB. IBM Integration Bus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
IBM Integration Bus Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Integration Bus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Integration Bus?

IBM Integration Bus is a market-leading software solution for application integration. It facilitates universal connectivity across enterprise systems, applications, and data, and offers a full range of integration capabilities on a flexible, secure, high-performance platform. You can use IBM Integration Bus to connect apps regardless of the communication formats or protocols they support. This connectivity enables interaction and data exchange among your varied applications in an adaptable, dynamic, and extensible infrastructure. IBM Integration Bus routes, transforms, and enriches messages from one location to another. It offers support for a wide range of functions, including routing, manipulating, filtering, enriching, monitoring, distribution, collection, correlation, and detection.

You can choose between IBM Integration Bus Advanced Edition, which is appropriate for a production setting, and IBM Integration Bus for Developers (Developer Edition), which is cost-free for development and testing purposes.

The interactions with IBM Integration Bus can be split into two categories:

1. Development, testing, and deployment of applications. To program your applications, you can choose from one or more of the available options:
    • Patterns offer reusable solutions that distill a tried-and-true strategy for resolving a typical architecture, design, or deployment task in a specific context. You can use them as-is or tweak them to meet your needs.
    • Message flows describe your application's connectivity logic, which specifies the precise route your data takes in the integration node and, consequently, the processing that the message nodes in that flow perform on it.
    • Message nodes contain the integration logic that must be applied to your data when it passes through your integration node.
    • Message trees describe data in an efficient, format-independent manner. Many of the included nodes allow you to study and edit the contents of message trees, and you can add additional nodes to your own design.
    • You can implement transformations using graphical mapping, JavaTM, ESQL, and XSL, and choose based on the expertise of your workforce without having to provide retraining.
  2. Operational management and performance. The following features of IBM Integration Bus support your deployment's management and performance:
    • A wide range of administrative and system management choices for developed solutions.
    • Support for a variety of hardware platforms and operating systems.
    • A scalable, high-performing architecture built on the needs of traditional transaction processing environments.
    • Tight integration with software solutions from IBM and other suppliers that provide similar management and networking services.

IBM Integration Bus Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing IBM Integration Bus. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Use the platform’s powerful capabilities to handle various integration requirements to meet the demands of any size project.
  • Help your entire organization make better business decisions by offering quick access, visibility, and control over data as it moves through your business applications and systems.
  • Connect using a variety of diverse applications and web services, eliminating the requirement for complex point-to-point connectivity.
  • To make the most of your existing Microsoft.NET expertise and software investment, use the extended support for Microsoft applications and services.
  • Provide a standardized, simple, and flexible integration base to allow you to more quickly and effectively serve business needs and scale.

Reviews from Real Users

IBM Integration Bus stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust data enrichment and its event correlation tool. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Richard W., Chief Executive Officer at Responsiv, writes of the solution, “It reduces the need for programmers of consumer applications to understand where data is sourced, or how it is combined. It allows us to avoid the need for consumers to understand multiple API protocols and security arrangements, and in some circumstances can reduce the impact of systems being unavailable.

Another PeerSpot reviewer, an Integration Architect at a tech services company, notes, “One of the most valuable features is how seamless and easy to use this solution is. It's compatible with the cloud, it's a very seamless and fantastic tool.” He adds, “I rate this solution a nine out of ten.”

IBM Integration Bus was previously known as IBM WebSphere ESB.

IBM Integration Bus Customers

Salesbox, €sterreichische Bundesbahnen (€BB), Road Buddy, Swiss Federal Railways, Electricity Supply Board, The Hartree Centre, ESB Networks

IBM Integration Bus Video

Archived IBM Integration Bus Reviews (more than two years old)

Enterprise Architect, Mars Global Services at Mars Inc.
Good pricing and great features, but not easy to use
  • "The cost is pretty cheap, compared to what else is available in the market."
  • "The solution needs to improve it's security and its proactive notification of security issues."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for supply chain management between ERP systems and warehouse management systems. We use it with multiple external partners.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization in the sense that it offers new graphical user interfaces and protocols. The fact that they have been made available has helped out business.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a variety of valuable features.

The ESB characteristics are great. The transformation, protocol bridging and routing are great.

The list of features on offer are both useful and actionable.

The cost is pretty cheap, compared to what else is available in the market.

The solution has been on the market for ten to 15 years, so it's had a lot of time to develop.

What needs improvement?

The monolithic architecture is an issue.  Due to the fact that it's a built on monolithic architecture, the solution is not very lightweight. It's not highly productive, so, in that sense, it's not so user friendly.

The solution needs to be a little bit more business-friendly in its API management capability.

The solution needs to improve its security and its proactive notification of security issues.

The expiry of the passwords, certificates, and things like that need to be powered by alerts so that it's more obvious that it's something we need to update (before everything actually expires).

IBM Integration Bus
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM Integration Bus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for ten or more years. It's been over a decade since I originally started using the product. I've been working at this particular company as an enterprise architect for the last three years.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable.

I don't recall experiencing any bugs or glitches recently. It doesn't crash.

The solution is scalable. When we need to expand the solution, we can do so easily.

We have about 5,000 integrations on the product.

It is an integration platform, so everybody related to supply chain management uses it, and eCommerce as well.

We've dealth with technical support in the past and have been more than satisfied with their level of service. They are knowledgable. They respond quickly. I'd rate it nine out of ten overall.

Although we didn't use another solution per se, we do use MuleSoft.

MuleSoft is more lightweight. It's not as monolithic. We use MuleSoft and another IBM solution. However, we've been using IBM Integration Bus for such a long time at this point. It's been ten to 15 years or so. We've only used MuleSoft for the last three years. It has high productivity and a good number of integrations and the API exchange capabilities.

We run the solutions in parallel.

MuleSoft is a pretty good solution, however, we've noticed that the pricing over the last few years has gone up and it's become quite costly.

The solution has been on the market for over a decade, so the initial setup is pretty straightforward. They've had time to perfect the process. There's also a lot of people who understand how to install it, as it's a mature product with lots of history. Many people have worked with it.

The pricing is pretty good. We've noticed that it's quite reasonable, whereas, for example, solutions like MuleSoft are rising. Salesforce recently acquired MuleSoft and has grown its market share, however, the pricing is turning people off. IBM is much more reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We're IBM customers. We don't have a business relationship with IBM.

The solution is deployed on an underlying platform in the traditional MQ.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, it's not user friendly. That said, it works really well.

Qudrat Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Manager Software Quality Assurance at UBL
A platform to seamlessly integrate applications. Regretfully it may have session management issues
  • "Promotes the reuse of developed resources to more efficiently consume resources."
  • "Seamlessly integrates your different applications."
  • "Session management can sometimes hand forcing server reboots."
  • "The product lacks an integrated testing module."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Integration Bus for SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture) services. We are using it to connect APIs to servers, we are using it as an integration bus for hosting, and we are hosting our web services over it. I am using and testing this from the QA (Quality Assurance) perspective.

What is most valuable?

The Integration Bus has provided us with a certain level of security. For instance, before we used this solution, we were directly connecting to databases through a DB link. We were able to stop that practice and make it more secure using Integration Bus. It has also provided us with the capability to reuse developed services. Services we developed can now be used with multiple systems and we are able to remove duplicate applications due to this advantage.

What needs improvement?

Surely something that can be improved is session management. Sometimes sessions hang. Practically every day we hear about session congestion and this kind of thing. Troubleshooting the issue has become a long-standing problem. Where the true problem lies is a challenge for our support team.

The session management issue may be a bigger problem for us because our support team is not so highly trained. Also, sometimes our developers are not able to dig down to locate the actual problem. To resolve the issue when it occurs, we have to at least restart the server. It is not really solving the problem, it just relieves the symptoms. These session management problems are the basic issues we are having, but otherwise, our services have become better after bringing in the Integration Bus.

One thing I would like to have added to Integration Bus is a plugin — or some other software, — to enable testing the performance of our services from the application hosted on the IBM service. I think that the users of the system should be able to get something like that and somehow do performance testing on their own. Currently, I have used some studio or some plugin to find these results. Another option is using services that are available that I have also tried. If IBM could provide this same type of testing capability in its application, that that would be great. It would enable us to report to our business on the facts about how much we have improved from the earlier architecture.

We have been using IBM Integration Bus for the last three years.

It is a stable product especially with the release of version 10. We had problems with version 9. But now, version 10 was really a lot more stable and a lot of things have improved. We are much more satisfied with the product and stability of the performance. It is fairly rare that we are unable to troubleshoot something. But I think that most of the problems that we have, from my point of view, is because we are not better trained on the product as a whole. Maybe training could resolve some of our troubleshooting issues. Everything may not be the fault of the product.

We had scaled up the product usage, so I know it is scalable. We were only using it with a few systems in the beginning and now we are using it with a whole bank of systems and all of the systems are integrated tools.

The IBM partner that we are working with here is System Limited. IBM was not directly supporting us during the installation and if we have issues we work with the IBM partner.

We did previously have another solution called BixTalk which we were using four to five years ago. One major problem with BizTalk was that we had very few people available who were actually trained on it. Secondly, there were some sever issues as well. We had a synchronization problem on top of that. Because it was so long ago I do not remember all the issues. Maybe we did have some other problems also. But we had a problem with the product support as well.

From an installation point of view and just initially setting up this product, it required a lot of configuration. The configuration is the harder part of the installation. Otherwise, the installation was done in a few days by our team. I do not remember exactly whether we had any major problems in doing that, but it could be there were problems and I just did not hear about them.

There were a lot of things to configure, but that was taken care of by a different department. Our operations department would be the group that handled this. So I do not have actual first-hand information because I did not participate in the process.

What other advice do I have?

It is a little hard to suggest a product for someone else without knowing anything about their situation. I would surely recommend it for companies that have lots of applications that they want to integrate. This is mostly what I would recommend it for. If you want a platform that seamlessly integrates your different applications, IBM Integration Bus for you.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IBM Integration Bus as something like seven to eight. For the time being, I will give it a seven. I am pretty much satisfied with the product, but there are certainly ways I have mentioned in which it could improve.

IBM Integration Bus
September 2022
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mahmoud Emara - PeerSpot reviewer
IBM Integration Bus Developer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to learn, technical support is good, and there is a knowledgeable and helpful community
  • "The most valuable feature is that it is clear and easy to learn."
  • "The interface could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as an integration point between systems. We use it for logging and transformation of data between backend and frontend.

Our use case involves the communications industry.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is clear and easy to learn.

There is a community available where I can find a solution if I am facing a problem.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly.

I have been using IBM Integration Bus for about one year.

IBM Integration Bus is stable, although it depends on the efficiency of our code, the network stability, and the infrastructure. It will be stable if all of the applications are running efficiently.

We have a support agreement that is included with our license and whenever we have a problem, we contact them. In my experience, they provide good support. They also provide good material and documents.

I have not used another similar solution by another vendor, although I have been part of projects where other systems had been implemented.

The initial setup is straightforward, especially with Java and EasyCODE.

We make use of tools like bash scripting when we deploy files. When we deploy a single file, it takes about five minutes.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, I can recommend this product because it is easy and straightforward to learn and use. It is also stable and has a good market share. All of the features that I have needed already exist.

If a developer would like to shift and try becoming an integration developer, then this is a good product to work with.

CTO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Great user interface, good technical support, and very stable
  • "The solution is stable and can scale relatively easily."
  • "IBM doesn't really have a very strong community surrounding the product. Most of its direct competitors are open source solutions, and those have an excellent and well-developed community around the tech to help users navigate the ins and outs of the product. IBM is lacking in this area."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for the solution is infrastructure optimization. Most times the client wants to optimize their integration infrastructure and they want to simplify it. When they feel home-grown solutions are not scaling well for them in terms of complexity, in terms of speed to market, they look to this solution. Projects take long and they break down all the time. That's when the clients start thinking Integration Bus. It's a solution that offloads all the integrations of their system.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers pretty good pricing.

The technical support is great.

The solution is stable and can scale relatively easily.

The user interface is easy to navigate.

The performance is decent.

The solution offers good dashboards.

The management and monitoring on offer are very good.

What needs improvement?

IBM doesn't really have a very strong community surrounding the product. Most of its direct competitors are open source solutions, and those have an excellent and well-developed community around the tech to help users navigate the ins and outs of the product. IBM is lacking in this area. If they had more of a community, more people would know about the product. They should push to create a developer community around it and make the products more accessible to developers.

I've heard some clients are asking for autoscaling capabilities. It could improve DevOps. They might have something similar in other products, however, if they could introduce it within this product at some small level, it would make many clients happy.

We've been using the solution in the company for less than a year.

We've been pleased with the solution's reliability. It's stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. I don't recall facing any bugs or glitches. It just works well all the time.

The solution scales quite well. If a company needs to expand it out, they can do so easily.

Technical support has been good. They're responsive and knowledgeable. We've been satisfied with their support. It's been great.

The implementation is straightforward. It's not complex. What takes a long time, however, is implementing the workflows or projects. That's where the efforts is. In terms of implementation, the implementation is straightforward. However, building the integration of workflows can be a bit tricky.

You have to pick the right project as the first project, due to the fact that you're introducing a new product inside an organization. The first project is important in terms of setting the stage for understanding the underlying functionality. It shouldn't be too complex. At the same time, it should be impactful enough that you get management support going forward. It should be a project that is big enough whereby you can see the impact of the Integration Bus.

The pricing is pretty good. What they charge isn't unreasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We're IBM partner-resellers.

The reason we've implemented the solution is driven more by our clients' demands. The clients want IBM Integration Bus, or they already have some investment in IBM Integration Bus. We want to build capability in it to support the clients. We don't have a level of experience with the solution.

My personal advice to others is to start small so that you give yourself a good preliminary base that's not too overwhelming. Most clients want to do everything with this solution, which is fine. However, it's always better to start small with a departmental project, as opposed to an enterprise-wide kind of thing. It is better to start small and tackle a practical project and get used to everything before going really big.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Abid Shafiq - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Manager CRM Platform and Integration at PTCL
It's robust and its time to market is very short but the UI should be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for migration.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's robust and its time to market is very short.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, the UI should be more user-friendly.

I have been using IBM Integration Bus for five years.

It's very stable and very easy to scale.

We have the VR application version of our support now but they have been very supportive.

The deployment takes about a week or so, it's lengthy.

We're satisfied with the price, it's okay. The terms and everything are decided by the company. It's not a big deal for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

I would recommend it.

Private Cloud
Nnamdi Ndukwe - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Development Team Lead at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Easy to learn, use, and integrate, and the technical support is good
  • "The biggest advantage of this solution is that it is very easy to learn, and very easy to build applications."
  • "One drawback that I have found is that there are issues with using the Java connector."

What is our primary use case?

We are a financial institution and we are using this solution for the APIs that we provide.

What is most valuable?

The biggest advantage of this solution is that it is very easy to learn, and very easy to build applications. The learning curve is not steep and it is something that you can pick up within about two weeks.

There are a lot of inbuilt interfaces like ISO and SAP. Having all of these interfaces already built makes integration very easy and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

One drawback that I have found is that there are issues with using the Java connector. I was running out of heap space.

I have been working with IBM Integration Bus for three years.

The stability is fantastic.

With respect to scalability, IBM Integration Bus is very good.

I have been in contact with technical support and I found that they were very good.

I have not really used any other ESB solutions.

I was not part of the original deployment.

I like to view comparisons to see what people have to say about similar products because I have just recently changed jobs and my new company is trying to purchase an ESB. Although I fully recommend IBM Integration Bus, I think it is important to look and see if other solutions may be better.

What other advice do I have?

Generally speaking, this is a very good product. It is easy to learn and use, and it is robust as well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten

Cameo Mbowane - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at Customersoft Innovation
Has the ability to be deployed without rewriting the code
  • "It has the ability to be deployed without rewriting the code."
  • "I would like for them to make the training much easier."

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to be deployed without rewriting the code.

What needs improvement?

I would like for them to make the training much easier. Once you work with a sphere of people that can integrate the solution, then it's stable. But just to educate people, it's not that easy to do. It's not easy content to teach people.

I have been using it for over ten years.

I have only contacted their support for implementing application integration.

Overall, they're good. They're able to replenish and reboot the data much easier.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

IBM is huge once you start it up. There's not a lot of coding, not a lot of method to the mapping, and they have the need for application software management.

I'd rate it a nine out of 10. It's stable across multiple platforms and across multiple applications. They're very strong and a trusted brand. They are patient and good friends. One of the only challenges is that it is hard to teach people.

Senior Software Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Integrates well with other solutions and has an easy initial setup
  • "The integration with other tools is excellent. It integrates well with batch issues."
  • "IBM could improve its connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily a middleware. It's security-enabled and we are using the same credentials for development. We plan on making a backend to handle growing requests.

What is most valuable?

The solution is similar to Adobe X Pro. We can intersect with any of those items.

The scalability is very good.

The integration with other tools is excellent. It integrates well with batch issues.

Overall, the solution works very well.

What needs improvement?

IBM could improve its connectivity.

The solution needs to be better integrated with the cloud version of the solution.

The solution is constrained by the environment - whether it's on-premises or the cloud. The cloud seems to be more adaptable.

I've been using the solution since 2014.

The solution is very stable. We haven't found any bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes. It's quite reliable.

We have more than 20 people that use the solution. We use it on a daily basis. The scalability is good and is simple to expand as necessary.

I didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is simple enough. Right now, in its entirety, the download is very simple. It's actually a one-click solution.

Deployment takes very little time. It depends mostly on the load and what we are pushing out. However, it usually takes a matter of seconds.

We have 14 people in general on our team using the solution, and they are all able to perform maintenance.

I handled the implementation myself.

I don't have any information about licensing or costs. It's not something that I am in charge of.

What other advice do I have?

We're just IBM customers. We're not partners and we don't have a relationship with the company.

In terms of on-premises vs cloud, I'd suggest users go to the cloud. It obviously depends on the market and the adoption rate.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

YaroslavLatushkin - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Lead and Senior Architect at FCL
A well-rounded product with good stability and good technical support
  • "The solution's features are all quite useful. We use all of them."
  • "The user interface could be improved in a future release."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a basic integration platform for all the complicated technology solutions we have.

What is most valuable?

The solution's features are all quite useful. We use all of them.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we have some custom solutions for logs; it would be nice if these solutions could be provided out of the box.

The solution doesn't have a standard testing framework that can be used for integration performance and other tests.

The user interface could be improved in a future release.

I've been using the solution for 15 years.

The solution is stable.

The response from technical support is typically quick. However, sometimes when we ask IBM to fix coding, that can take several months. I understand this is because the product is quite sizable.  They can often answer our questions without having to fix the entire product itself and they give a quick and detailed response.

We previously used other solutions, including Oracle, specifically Oracle Fusion Middleware. IBM is much better. It has many more options and offers more functionality. IBM offers better customization, configuration, and options in general.

The initial setup is reasonable. However, the product requires administrators and developers to spend some time studying or to have previous experience.  Deployment is very fast.

The first time we purchased the tool, we worked with a consulting company that assisted in the implementation. Now that we have experience, we handle it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Pavel Shcherbukha - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Leader of the Development Team at IBM/IT-Innovation
A reliable solution that is easy to learn and has connectors for many different sources
  • "This solution is very reliable and it is easy to learn."
  • "I would like to be able to run and install this solution on different platforms."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a corporate integration bus, between different financial applications. We use IBM Integration Bus (IIB) with IBM MQ for asynchronous interaction. Additionally, web services for synchronized integration such as REST APIs, SOAP and HTTP Interfaces with XML interaction. For instance, it uses for the integration of the Banking front end with the banking core application. IBM Integration Bus installed on-premise.

How has it helped my organization?

Before, we used to use client-server applications with strong interaction. Using the integration bus we quickly broke through the border between client-server and service-oriented architecture. Additionally, we were able to quickly link many other financial services with core bank system or exposed some API for financial services.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very reliable and it is easy to learn.

There are many connectors to different sources and it's easy to scale.

Also, it is easy to parametrize the integration of bus applications during building or deployment. For instance, set up names of the queues, set up binded services URL, set up or change user-defined parameters.

What needs improvement?

I like the IBM Integration Bus and I hope that it will change in micro-service architecture. My understanding is that it will change to be less connected, and less depends on the operating system or the hardware resources.

I would like to be able to run and install this solution on different platforms and using containers and using modern micro-service and cloud environments.

I have been using this solution for five years.

This solution is quite stable. We use this solution every day.

There are many financial services to be integrated with different APIs, so it was easy to develop it with Integration Bus.

This solution is scalable. As an example, If you are using web services and you want to upscale several connections, we do it by changing one parameter in the application: "Number of additional instances".

Also, it is easier to scale a synchronized interaction with MQ to change one parameter to indicate how many instances you want to execute simultaneously. On the other hand, you can deploy the same application on different integration servers.

We have not used the technical support. We found all of the information that we needed with the IBM documentation.

We used to use client-service applications with strong integration between application. The company implemented many other applications with different interfaces and aimed to link with external services. So that we started using Integration bus for integration legacy application with new applications.

The initial setup was easy. For Windows, you will run the installation file and you have an environment that is ready to develop an integrated solution.

If you want additional resources such an MQ, or databases, you will have to read the manual to understand how to connect them.

The building and deployment are quick and easy. It only takes a few minutes to deploy, depending on the size of your application, but it's fast.

There are two methods of deployment. You can use the manual deployment method using the drag and drop. On the other hand, you can use command-line interface for building and deployment applications. The application represented as one or some number of .bar file. It's something similar to .ear but other structure inside.

You only really need one person to deploy this solution, but we shared build and responsibility using GitLab tool-chain and Nexus Repository. The first factor is for development and building and the other one is for deployment. We use the same process for different environments. All necessary parametrization inside the application are stored as a file and substituted depend on the deployment environment during the building process.

The implementation was done with our team. Additionally, we used the standard development process for teamwork.

We have gone through different comparative solutions and other integrated systems, and IBM Integration Bus is better for enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to start with reading the documentation. Have a good understanding of how to integrate Integration Bus with different resources, and to have experience with a synchronized interaction with IBM MQ or Apache Kafka. But IBM MQ is preferable.

Also, it is better to have an understanding of the HTTP Interaction and REST API interaction.

I also suggest people participate in IBM online learning. There are two courses that go over features that are related to integration development. They are very helpful. They also teach how to develop an integration solution, so it is an interesting program.

Additionally, explore the IBM blog about Integration Bus and App-Connect. You can find there a lot of integration patterns.

Other Integration solutions require an application server, but with IBM Integration Bus, it doesn't require a special application server.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Enterprise Solution Architect at a transportation company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good performance, high-availability features, and provides an easy way to develop integrations
  • "From a performance point of view, it's very good and it doesn't need very much in terms of CPU resources."
  • "This product uses the PVU (Processor Value Unit) license model from IBM, and it is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to integrate different applications into the aviation area.

We have an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

The whole of the radar data that we receive from the ARPA (Automatic Radar Plotting Aid) is transformed by the IBM Integration bus.

What is most valuable?

This product provides a relatively easy way to develop integration solutions.

This solution has very good, high-availability features.

What needs improvement?

This product uses the PVU (Processor Value Unit) license model from IBM, and it is something that should be improved. It requires you to install monitoring software that ensures you are only using the number of CPUs that you have paid for. This license monitoring tool is very complicated.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

This solution is very stable.

We use this solution on a daily basis, and it is very, very important to us.

This solution is very scalable because there are different possibilities available when it comes to scaling it up.

We have two people who do the operating, and there are three to four people who are responsible for the development of the integrations.

I think that the support from IBM is very good for this solution. Usually, they answer very fast.

When I started at the facility, they were using CORBA (Common Object Request Broker) for the integration. It was used very intensively, and the project to introduce this solution was the replacement.

We had a consulting team from IBM on-site to perform the implementation. For the first three years, we had IBM consultants with us to guide us in the development and also in the operating of the solution.

Our licensing is based on a five-year contract, and as far as I know, there are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fee.

We evaluated several similar products including solutions from Oracle and Software AG, and we chose this solution not only because of its technical features but also because of the on-site support that IBM gave us.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody implementing this solution for the first time is to have people from IBM on-site to help you establish the operating procedures and the development procedures.

My understanding is that the new release will have a lot of new features, including support for Docker containers. At this point, I don't have any requirements for the new release. It has also been rebranded.

This is a good solution from a technical and operational point of view, but they should really remove this technically complicated license controlling. It is very complicated software that you have to install.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Systems Software Specialist III at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
A GUI that greatly simplifies data transformation and application developmet, but it is difficult to configure
  • "My favorite feature is the XML-based DFDL mapping, which is a tool that allows you to graphically map legacy data formats to modern data formats."
  • "This solution would benefit from improvements to the configuration interface."

How has it helped my organization?

I did only one PoC which is critical to the organization so I'm not an expert. We had consultants who developed most of the prior applications, but my part involved a new project to integrate with our external partners with new changes from a legacy format to amodern web service. We needed to help them connect to our service, as well as access our data. They were already doing that, but with legacy protocols. They are now moving to a modern system.

This is something that is easy to do with IBM Integration Bus. Some of the challenges were  in understanding the overall format of the data and understanding their need. Most of the time was spent in understanding and analysis rather than coding. The coding, itself, didn't take much time. For me, it was a learning curve in understanding the tool, analyzing the graphical interface, and even learning how to develop an application. We had many prior applications built and to use as examples.

My dream is that most applications should have a graphical way of expressing what you want to do and kind of get to know different parts of the workflow in the application.

What is most valuable?

My favorite feature is the XML-based DFDL mapping, which is a tool that allows you to graphically map legacy data formats to modern data formats. I like it because there is less programming involved. On the internet I do not see many users who are aware of this capability or its importance. Since I have a theoretical background in this area I was able to quickly understand its value. In the past, we had to do a lot of programming in Java, whereas now, it is just linking one node in one format to another node in another format. The linking is done in a very smart way, and behind the scenes, the solution knows what to do. For different types of inputs and outputs, the interface already knows how to do the translation or conversion. All you have to do is draw a line and make simple additions. It has reduced the programming from one hundred percent down to ten or twenty percent.

In this solution, you can design the workflow too, graphically. There are two graphical tools in this solution. One of them is for the format conversion and it is called mapping. The other one is actually developing the application itself. It is a good GUI that I really like.

What needs improvement?

This solution would benefit from improvements to the configuration interface. It is hard to understand, and one small change can have a huge impact. For example, if you say Yes instead of No in one of the configuration settings, or Transactional instead of Non-transactional, then the whole meaning changes and it is difficult to track down the problem. This is the reason that many of our projects are progressing slowly. We just don't know what is going to happen with different parameter settings. It makes it very difficult to be creative.

The only other difficult part is that IBM adds its own meta-data, in addition to the normal, generic XML data, into the tree. It's hard for us to understand how to navigate the tree and pick what we want or figure out where our own application data lies, because of the additional IBM specific data. We understand that they do things this way in order to reduce the programming, but it's more of a learning curve.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This product is very stable.

This solution is extremely scalable. It's a top product in terms of scalability. The mechanism and capability are there, although it is a difficult problem and only top-class experts with enough experience can do it.

We have four or five people who are development users of this solution. We also have a number of public users for the application.

Technical support for this solution is extremely good. They are very supportive. Their answers are very quick, and they quickly understand what problem I am facing.

It would be nice if they visited the site so that they could see the project and what is happening. It would give them the opportunity to look at the structure visually, instead of me continuously sending ZIP files. That would be awesome.

Prior to this solution, we used TIBCO. I was not involved in the integration bus, so I don't know the history before we moved to IBM.

I was not part of the initial setup for this solution. One of the things that I have been doing is migrating from version 9 to version 10, and I have been struggling with it for the past several months.

The problems are due, in part, because there are a lot of things that we didn't know. There were mistakes in the migration because some of the things were not upward compatible. It had to do with a bug in the new version. We'd had to fix things, and we are still working on it. If the vendor would have proactively warned people about the bug then it would have been a great move.

I take care of the upgrades myself, but the maintenance is handled by three of us.

I have been working on the migration myself, but I am using a support engineer to help us. He is working very hard, spending many weeks and months with me, guiding me when I experience a problem.

I did not implement all of the applications, but I took on the responsibility to migrate all of the previous ones. This is a challenge because I was not involved in developing them. I treated it more like a recompilation problem, but some of the functions are not working. The old libraries are no longer used, so I am learning all of the new things that have to be done.

Given that I thought the upgrade process would be automatic, I did not really have an upgrade or migration strategy. I thought that all of the projects would compile. When they did not, I looked back at the manual that the previous consultants had written.

What I found is that the project structure was a little bit tricky, and it took some time for me to understand it. Things were not done in a normal way, and it did not work when I set it up as such. This meant that I had to backtrack and follow the instructions in the manual.

Most of our products are IBM, which makes it easy to integrate them.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very large and complex product. It takes several people to understand every feature in it because nobody understands it completely.

I am an architect but I also develop. I really love this product and the graphical way of doing things, but there are limitations because you are not doing hundred percent programming. Instead of programming, you are solving some complex functionality needs by configuring, and you have to understand how to do it.

For anybody who is implementing this solution, it is important to say that even though I am senior, I'm a junior when it comes to this solution. I was only brought in to work on this two years ago. It requires many years of experience to be good at it. You can't just jump on and be skilled at using it. Even when the people from IBM came and worked on prior applications, they were having challenges. Of course, the nature of the problem that IBM Integration Bus solves is challenging. All of this said, I like the graphical interface and I don't mind working on projects that are long-term.

For most of the features, I would rate them ten out of ten. But when it comes to understanding transaction related settings (and other solutions provided via the configuration settings), and the fact that there are so many documents you have to read to find one small thing, I would rate that area a five or six out of ten.

Overall, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Integration Team Leader /Integration Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great for productivity ,and Run-time performance , easy to learn and use.
  • "IBM Integration Bus has a complete set of tools that are implemented between rules when it comes to run time, but it's not easy to understand."
  • "I would like to see more metered rest and API support. IBM is already working on it on Version 11, but it still needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The IBM Integration Bus platform is Advanced Enterprise service bus , Typically used in SOA Environments . with newer version it can work it container based platforms and can be used to implement Micro services.

We have implemented IIB/WMB Based Solution in multiple organizations helping them to adopt Service oriented architecture , and eliminating point to point integrations.

How has it helped my organization?

IIB helped our clients having clean Overall solution , doing decoupling between different systems , eliminating duplicate point to point integration points . replacing legacy integration products ,and having high performing stable trouble free Enterprise service bus

What is most valuable?

IIB is feature rich product it is hard to point to a single feature , but most important is IIB supports most communication protocols out the box (SOAP/REST/HTTP/MQ/JMS/TCP/Files)

Native support of Asynchronous calls .  support of multiple message formats (XML/JSON/ CWF/CSF/SWIFT/HL7....)

Global Transaction Co-ordination

Horizontal and Vertical Scalability .

What needs improvement?

It would be better with more API management features.

More Micro-service and container based support. IBM is already working on it on Version 11, but it still needs improvement.

Also IIB have cloud version ,it is doesn't have all features of the On premise version , and needs more improvement .

I have been using IBM Integration Bus since 2007.

IBM Integration Bus is almost perfect in terms of stability.

We can easily do the required scalability with IBM Integration Bus. We have never faced an issue. Plus, it is very straightforward.

I didn't need to contact IBM technical support very much.

In older versions, the setup was very complex. In recent releases, it's been very straightforward.

I am working in a consultancy company. We install this for most of our clients. We develop services for them using it.

What other advice do I have?

IIB very flexible.nearly limitless , You can easily overload it with duties that it's not meant to hold. Organizations needs to have strong their architecture team and SOA governance during and After implementation .to avoid overloading the ESB Layer.

I would give IBM Integration Bus an 11 out of 10. I have tried solutions from competitors Brands. There is no comparison.

Middleware Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The tech support is very good.
  • "It is very straightforward. It is very user-friendly integration."
  • "To scale virtically, is difficult."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for establishing an enterprise service between the orchestrated transactions of two different channels. This is the main purpose of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

There is a concept behind the project of this technology, the ESP technology, it is just the layer because of the bus between front systems and back systems, So if I want to change anything in the back system, no need to change in the front system, only this layer. So what do is, we make the integration of the system much, much easier and faster. So there is only  one layer to control the integration of the communication.

What needs improvement?

The resources about IBM are hard to find, and it is not enough material. Finding people who know this product is problematic.

More than five years.

The product is very stable.

The scalability actually depends upon the number of users, channels and transactions per second. Horizontal it is hard to add more, but vertical is very easy.

Tech support is very good, but it takes time to resolve any issue.

I have prior experience with Oracle. The work bus and the the word map is totally different from Oracle.  In Oracle you're doing the job management most of the time, in IBM product, their version, it's much easier. You just try to sync with it and that's all. IBM is an easier product to use.

I also have prior experience with Microsoft, but that was in 2008. At that time, there were issues with integration

It is very straightforward. It is very user-friendly integration.

It is important to consider:

• API control
  • Firewall security

I have no comment on pricing.

What other advice do I have?

IBM recently changed the name of this solution to IBM API-Connect. With the new name, they have added two new features, such as connecting to the cloud.

it_user904239 - PeerSpot reviewer
Offshore Delivery Head (US) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the most stable products which I have seen in the market
  • "It is one of the most stable products which I have seen in the market."
  • "IBM does not support orchestration, which is how they designed it, and other BPM tools in the market support orchestration. If they merged the BPM capability into this product, then it would be a better solution."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is a content-based tool for system messaging. IIB comes with IBM MQ as its messaging backbone. With respect to our requirements, IIB fits well, and it does its job.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our company a lot. We have added a lot of adapters. The microservice has provided an advantage for us, so we have a lot of adapters with REST Node.js, which have been added.

IBM used to provide multiple adapters. For example, we also have an adaptor for MQTT (Message Queuing Telemetry Transport).

What is most valuable?

With respect to our enterprise and SOA compliance (this product fits within the SOA compliance category), we want to talk about microsolution architecture, as enterprises generally enable SOA first before going to microsolutions. It will have to have a long-term approach on the SOA category, as IIB fits with a lot of other IBM products, like the WSRR, IBM DataPower, and MQ. It has a lot of advantages when we are using it or enforcing SOA as an architecture for our enterprises.

What needs improvement?

IBM does not support orchestration, which is how they designed it, and other BPM tools in the market support orchestration. IIB wasn't designed for short and small transitions which are preferred to be stateless. If they merged the BPM capability into this product, then it would be a better solution.

More than five years.

It is one of the most stable products which I have seen in the market.

It scalability is seamless. There should not be any issues as long as we integrate fully with our use cases and restrict scenarios that we have tested on different operating systems. We have tested for the high availability and OTS availability. It has worked well so far.

Under certain situations, when what we were expecting is not right, then we contact support, and technical support from IBM is really good. However, IBM support is mostly for the small time stuff, like product releases. In a few years, they will end up the support unless we pay them. The difference is in the cost. Support costs are high compared to their competition. Otherwise, the support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We also evaluated Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10, because of:

1. The community.
  2. They provide freeware.
  3. The support that IBM provides.
  4. It fits its purpose.

IIB is one of the top-rated solution in this category. If looking for a tool which is SOA compliance, you can blindly go for this particular tool.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor is support. We are looking for the 24/7 support in respect to that particular product. It should be compliant within our business requirements. Technology is evolving day-by-day and should have an additional features added-on as long as we are required to implement those features, e.g. product security. We are using different encrypted algorithms on encryption screens, and these functionalities are widely adopted by IBM.

NaveenTak - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Integration Consultant at Candela Labs (AWPL reborn)
Easy to understand documentation with a huge list of examples and tutorials
  • "Easy to understand documentation with a huge list of examples and tutorials."
  • "Web interface, REST API for viewing services, admin, stats, and deployment are premium features, which makes IIB stand among its competition."
  • "REST API design and development support are useful. Building and exposing APIs using GUI API designer with editor makes implementation a breeze."
  • "IBM support is fantastic and quick."
  • "Development toolkit (based on Eclipse) should be improved in terms of responsiveness."
  • "Current aggregation implementation should be deprecated. MQ independent, as well as an intuitive solution, should be proposed."

What is our primary use case?

We have used IIB as a complete ESB solution with IBM MQ for various financial institutions. IIB supports various connectors, message formats, and transport protocols.

Its transformation language, ESQL, is easy to learn and use. Rich support of the mapping node (GUI mapping), JavaCompute Node, XSL, etc. make it useful and developer friendly.

IIB 10's primary features:

1. REST API design and development support out-of-the-box. OpenAPI compliant.
  2. Lightweight run time, hence it is ideal for Docker/microservices implementation.
  3. Several ways to admin using web interface, REST API admin capabilities, and console administration.
  4. Long list of already built-in connectors for legacy systems (CICS, MQ, etc) and modern system connectors (Salesforce, LoopBack, etc.).
  5. Long list of parsers (XMLNSC, DFDL, JSON, etc.).
  6. Easy to understand documentation with a huge list of examples and tutorials.

How has it helped my organization?

• We were able to implement REST APIs quickly by using out-of-the-box support for design and implementation.
  • IBM support is exceptionally competent and quick.
  • It has been on the market for a long time, so getting skilled resources is convenient. Therefore, you will see your team growing and learning it quickly.

What is most valuable?

1. REST API design and development support are useful. Building and exposing APIs using GUI API designer with editor makes implementation a breeze.
  2. Pub/Sub support (using IBM MQ) and MQTT broker support bring complex patterns (CQRS, etc) and services to life real quickly.
  3. Web interface, REST API for viewing services, admin, stats, and deployment are premium features, which makes IIB stand among its competition.
  4. Several connectors for various different protocols.

What needs improvement?

1. My biggest concern is its MQ dependency, which are still not 100% independent. E.g., in the case of aggregation flows, IIB needs a complete overhaul for aggregation implementation to achieve orchestration implementation.
  2. Development toolkit (based on Eclipse) should be improved in terms of responsiveness.
  3. It lacks unit testing framework similar to JUnit for Java or MUnit for Mule ESB.
  4. IIB run time and installation still need to shed more weight and become lightweight for to become full Docker applications.

More than five years.

No issues. It is stable enough.

No scalability issues.

IBM support is fantastic and quick.

We did not switch. Wherever I have implemented it, it was either:

1. IIB/WMB was already there.
  2. It was the preferred choice.

I would rate the initial setup (with MQ) on AIX and Linux as a six out of 10, as it needs expertise.

We implemented it in-house.

We are going through digital transformation journey. For now, the solution is helping us.

1. The IIB setup is still very command-based. The implementation is not so easy.
  2. It still needs a lot of environment and OS-related tweaking.
  3. Pricing is on par with its competition.

We evaluated Mule ESB. We didn't consider because:

1. Mulesoft was relatively new. Hence, it lacked skilled resources.
  2. The cost was high compared to IIB.
  3. The client had a good relationship with IBM.

What other advice do I have?

IIB is a great product. It could use some minor improvements, such as:

1. IIB toolkit needs design overhaul; maybe some themes.
  2. Current aggregation implementation should be deprecated. MQ independent, as well as an intuitive solution, should be proposed.
  3. App Connect Enterprise (IIB's newer version) might solve the above issue.
it_user638694 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable features are load management, high availability, and web standards connectivity. I would like to see ESQL be equipped with more functions.

What is most valuable?

• WebSphere MQ Connectivity: MQInput node and MQOutput node
  • Load Management: We can configure more than one instance of an application
  • High Availability (multi-instance broker)
  • ESQ
  • Microsoft .NET Support/.NETCompute node: This has helped us to reuse our existing .NET code
  • Web Standards connectivity: HTTPInput node and HTTPReply node

How has it helped my organization?

• We have improved our productivity
  • We can easily and quickly create and integrate applications
  • With the help of built-in nodes, we are no longer required to create our own code for HTTPInput node, HTTPReply node, FileInput node, FileOutPut node, etc.
  • Built-in parsers are helping us in rapid development
  • Development is mostly just drag and drop, e.g., MQ integration
  • Deployment is much easier now

What needs improvement?

• ESQL: ESQL requires some more functions e.g., encryption/decryption/hashing. Currently, we have to use .NET or Java.
  • WebSphere MQ: This needs a web-based remote monitoring and administration panel.
  • Oracle Wire Protocol ODBC Driver: This needs to be compatible with different versions of Oracle, at least Oracle 10G and above versions.
  • A centralized log monitoring console is required where we can monitor all traffic (in/out) of the broker node.

We have been using this product for four years.

Stability is mostly fine. However, integration with Oracle is not good. Sometimes the Oracle Wire Protocol ODBC driver creates problems, especially if database links are used in SPs. We have to restart our service to resume connectivity.

Scalability is mostly fine. However, in the IBM integration toolkit, there should be something like “Solution Folder in Visual Studio” to keep related applications and integration services together.

Previously, we were using Microsoft Biztalk Server for middleware and integrations. Because of the obsolete version of Biztalk and the end of the support agreement with Microsoft, we decided to switch to some new technologies with advanced features where we can implement SOA services. Hence we decided to go with IIB.

It was a challenging task because we were moving to a new technology, especially from Microsoft to IBM. With the help of IBM technical sales staff, online help, and some trial and error, we now have a good implementation of IIB.

As a member of the technical implementation team, I’m not involved in pricing and licensing considerations.

While evaluating IIB, we also evaluated Oracle Service Bus (OSB) and the latest version of Microsoft Biztalk Server.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend implementing this with proper planning such as:

• Create and implement IIB in a High Availability (HA) environment
  • Create all required integration servers (execution groups) and assign them with HTTP/HTTPS ports explicitly
  • Configure SSL from the start
  • Use proper naming conventions for integration nodes, integration servers, and queue managers.
Walter Kuhn - PeerSpot reviewer
Walter KuhnICT Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
ExpertTop 5Real User

As you mentioned "•WebSphere MQ: This needs a web-based remote monitoring " - we use Infrared360 for this part.

Download our free IBM Integration Bus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022