Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Informix OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Informix is #8 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give IBM Informix an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. IBM Informix is most commonly compared to SQL Server: IBM Informix vs SQL Server. IBM Informix is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Relational Databases Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Informix?
Informix is one of the most widely used database servers offering high levels of performance and availability, distinctive capabilities, & minimal overhead.

IBM Informix was previously known as Informix.

IBM Informix Customers
Shaspa, Hildebrand, Kaifa, Ranhill Powertron, Federaci‹ Farmacutica (FedeFarma), Camden Council, The German Aerospace Center (DLR), Myers, Votorantim Group, Doosan Infracore, GreenIvory
IBM Informix Video

IBM Informix Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Informix pricing:
  • "For me, it's always too expensive."
  • "I am not aware of the licensing costs or terms."
  • IBM Informix Reviews

Head of Department at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Quite stable and flexible but not very innovative
    • "So far, we do not have a lot of issues. It's pretty problem-free."
    • "The solution really doesn't add new features very often."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to store some customer information in our database. Basically, this customer information will be used by all the applications that are in our company.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable and reliable. We use it mainly due to its general stable nature.

There's a lot of flexibility for us to create a DB schema.

They provide some replication for us - XDR, or something like that.

So far, we do not have a lot of issues. It's pretty problem-free.

What needs improvement?

The solution really doesn't add new features very often. Other solutions are much more actively pushing out upgrades and improvements. Informix just isn't extremely innovative.

Something we are looking for is, for example, data reduction. We want to do masking and it doesn't give a lot of flexibility. Oracle already has something to support us and can set out a policy for the data reduction and then you just simply set up and then you can use it without any writing of functions - plus, it's easier to do masking.

I've been using the solution for more than 20 years at this point. It's been two decades. I've used it for quite a long time.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and others in Relational Databases Tools. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've found the solution to be pretty stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's been good.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so without too much difficulty.

We do have a support contract with this vendor.

From the marketing you get, IBM seems to really push that you get more from them than Oracle. They've been aggressive in selling their product to us. Oracle hasn't been as aggressive. They seldom come to us or approach us. Typically, it's our company that goes to Oracle.

IBM is much more aggressive in selling their product as opposed to Oracle. They're always checking in.

Our team wasn't directly involved in the installation process. Therefore, it would be difficult to comment on how complex or straightforward it is.

We instructed a team to set up a database, a blank database, and then we created a schema and all of these kinds of things. While the server installation was handled by another team, the creation of the database is done by us.

We had another team set up the solution for us.

We are professional services providers. Basically, we review some applications on the Informix DB, and then the application, and we will roll out to production. We have another team to support the second level of support. The first level of support would come from the help desk.

We have a corporate license with IBM. We also have a global account. We have a contract of a few years with them.

We're currently looking at Oracle as an option to replace this solution.

With IBM, we're finding there aren't a lot of new features coming out. Oracle, in contrast, always seems to have something new.

In terms of data security, we see some improvement in Oracle, however, we don't see a lot of new things coming from Informix. While both have data replication, in terms of bi-directional replication, both vendors are still not that good, especially when there's a very huge volume of data replication. Right now, we have to use a third-party data replication by SharePlex.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution in our organization.

I was in the company for almost 20 years. Initially, we had quite a lot of databases. Basically, most of our big database was using Informix. And then, 10 years ago, we started the first migration to Oracle due to the licensing costs. On the first attempt, we changed to Oracle due to the fact that we got a very good deal from Oracle. Then, we moved one of the applications to Oracle. This year, the company direction is to go completely over to Oracle. That said, we still have one application, which until today we still use Informix for. That's why there's the intent to also migrate to Oracle, so that our company will focus on Oracle only, instead of multiple kinds of application databases.

I look at the current market trends. It seems like IBM Informix is a little bit behind compared to other big vendors like Oracle. Competitors invest a lot in new features, such as in-memory and those kinds of things. We don't see a lot from Informix.

In general, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. It's an okay solution, however, if a company is looking for something more innovative, there are other options on the market.

ERIC VERCELLETTO - PeerSpot reviewer
    General Manager and Architect - Informix Expertise at Begooden-IT Consulting
    Resilient, good replication, and knowledgeable technical support
    • "Replication, all levels of replication, query charting, and the MongoDB embedded are the most valuable features of this solution."
    • "It would be helpful to have IBM salespeople know that Informix exists, and sell it. Currently, it is completely ignored by IBM."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant.

What is most valuable?

Replication, all levels of replication, query charting, and the MongoDB embedded are the most valuable features of this solution.

It is extremely resilient and cannot be compared to anyone else on the market.

What needs improvement?

There most likely is a very large system, where some design modifications should be made to be ported on very large systems. When we're talking about terabytes of memory, things get a bit hectic, and some architecture design should be done at this level. Otherwise, nothing else needs to be done, because Informix is nearly perfect.

They are working on improving the administration interface.

In terms of Oracle compatibility and the SQL language, I know that they are working on it, but it would be easier with the SQL Server.

It would be helpful to have IBM salespeople know that Informix exists, and sell it. Currently, it is completely ignored by IBM.

The initial setup can be improved slightly.

I have been working with IBM Informix since 1986, it's been close to years.

There is no product as stable as IBM Informix.

There was a flaw about five years ago when IBM made the deal with HCL.

It took about a year to stabilize things, but I don't think IBM does support it; instead, IBM forwards technical calls and tickets to HCL.

HCL support is provided by genuine Informix engineers. Perhaps slow at times, perhaps understaffed at times.

But, in general, it's good. When you speak with someone at HCL, you are speaking with someone who is very knowledgeable about the product, which is very different from many other DBMS systems, in my opinion.

I have never used any other relational database tools.

I have been doing it since 1986, for me it is straightforward.

The setup depends on who is installing it.

It may appear complicated, but if we are talking about a regular DBA, it is fairly simple.

The installation process could be enhanced.

Installing products starts at 30 XEF and ends there. This will vary depending on the type of system you are configuring. If it is a small company, with one instance, I can do it in half an hour or less.

If it is a large company, you have to sit down and think about this architecture and what is where, et cetera, it can take a little longer, but the installation is simple. Configuring is simple, but because we are dealing with complex systems, it has to be complex somewhere.

Our clients range in size. I have small, medium, and large, as well as government and banking.

For me, it's always too expensive.

The problem is that Informix sometimes competes with free products, so yes, it's very expensive, but when we're talking about licensed products like SQL Server or anything, the midsize pricing could be significantly improved.

IBM's licensing is quite complicated. It has additions, and then it has features or does not have features. To make a quote or sell Informix, you must be extremely knowledgeable in the sales field.

I would rate the pricing model a four out of ten because it is complex.

A low range is acceptable. Mid-range is not acceptable. The high range is pretty much the same as the competition, but many customers, in my opinion, are leaving Informix, first because Informix is no longer a household name in the industry, and second, because the mid-range is not properly addressed in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to take it. You will never regret it. I have never seen a customer who was technically dissatisfied with Informix.

It is extremely reliable. It takes some time to properly configure it but once done, it will run for decades.

I am a partner of IBM Informix.

I would rate IBM Informix a nine out of ten.

September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Denis Bandeira - PeerSpot reviewer
    Database Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Very stable with good features and good scalability
    • "The initial setup is pretty easy."
    • "The pricing is a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Informix in Brazil for mapping two company emails. We are using it here in Rio De Janeiro and also in Sierra. The main system of Informix in Rio is the commercial system and is very important to the company. The technical system using Informix is in Sierra. However, in Rio, it is now more important as the commercial system is being used by the call center which is using the Informix database.

What is most valuable?

There are many great features within the solution. For myself, from what I have witnessed, there isn't just one valuable feature.

I'm overall quite satisfied with this solution. I have 20 years with Informix. I like everything about it.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The stability is very, very good.

The scalability of the solution is great.

What needs improvement?

What they're saying today is that IBM did not do the right thing with the old database of Informix.

We need more marketing solutions for Informix as the marketing for Informix is very low here in Rio. They need to push it out more, to give it more visibility. In comparison, for example, Oracle is everywhere. They market everywhere. They are very visible.

The solution should offer replication.

It would be helpful if the solution would allow us to access third-party tools. Oracle, for example, has that capability.

The pricing is a bit expensive.

I've been using the solution for 20 years or so. It's been about two decades. I've used it for a very long time.

We don't have any problems with the Informix Database. We haven't had any problems with the stability for 20 years. There are no bugs or glitches. It's extremely reliable. It's a very good database.

The scalability of the solution is very good. It's not a problem to scale the solution if you need to.

In Rio we have about 1,900 users on the system, the commercial system. In Sierra, we have about 500 users using the Informix database. They are basic users that are not developer.

I've only used technical support a few times. It's been very little in terms of interaction. I can't really speak to how they are with so little experience.

That said, from my few interactions, I've been satisfied with them.

The company decided to not use Informix for the new system. The new system we'll be using is Oracle or Paradox. We'll not be using Informix anymore in the near future. It's a decision from management and not necessarily my own.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company shouldn't have too much trouble with the implementation.

The last database we deployed was 20 years ago. We never deploy the new database with Informix. I can't recall how long the deployment took, as so much time has passed.

The pricing is a little high, however, Oracle, for example, is a bit higher still.

What other advice do I have?

We're an end-user and customer.

While I would recommend Informix, today it is so difficult due to the market and the price. It's difficult to convince people to use Informix due to this. If the price was less than Oracle, it's likely people will use it more.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Ariful Mondal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Ariful MondalConsulting Practice Partner - Data, Analytics & AI at FH
    ExpertModeratorReal User

Very helpful review and detailed.

Sergio Ferreira - PeerSpot reviewer
    Executive Director at Dynamic Tomorrow
    Feature-rich and almost no maintenance is required
    • "The stability is incredible. I have customers with uptimes of several years."
    • "This product could be made easier to use for beginners."

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and we implement solutions for several kinds of customers. My largest customer is a paper mill but we also have SMB customers that deal in other industries including telecommunications, government, and others. They need accounting solutions and other types of implementations

I have used this product for several of my customers.

What is most valuable?

This is a feature-rich product.

There is almost zero maintenance required.

What needs improvement?

This product could be made easier to use for beginners. As I have worked with it for quite a while, it is not difficult for me. However, some of my customers complain that it is too difficult to install and configure.

The stability is incredible. I have customers with uptimes of several years.

This is the most scalable data management system on the market.

I have not needed any technical support for a few years. Before that, the support was great. However, I know that they changed because they made an agreement with an Indian company. Since that time, I don't know what it has been like.

The initial setup is complex.

Some of my customers have complained that it is too difficult to install and configure. For me, it is easy, but for my customers, it is not as easy.

If you know the solution then it takes between half an hour and an hour to deploy. It only requires one person to deploy.

In order to properly implement IBM Informix, it is necessary to hire people that are skilled with the product.

The return on investment can be very rapid but this depends on the use case.

I have evaluated other options, but they were mainly open-source solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a great product. It works really well, is very stable, and is very scalable. Aside from being difficult to install, I don't see anything lacking.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hermann Jimenez Franco - PeerSpot reviewer
    DBA Informix at Independent

What is our primary use case?

• I currently administer Informix for different clients.
    • I have configured the HDR, RSS, SDSS and connection manager options with a cluster with optimal performance nodes.

The version of the Informix is 14.10 Enterprise Edition.

How has it helped my organization?

• OLTP processing capacity and the availability of information with high availability implementation have been significantly improved.
    • The increase in the number of users has not prevented the proper performance of the engine.
    • I've had the cluster configuration online for over a year.
    • With Informix, I sleep peacefully.

What is most valuable?

• I have been administering Informix for 10 years, and it's a highly reliable product, robust, processes high volumes of information, etc.
    • Its high availability characteristic is very stable and easy to configure and administer compared to Oracle to be performed higher than lower costs.
    • I really think it's a robust database tool and an excellent support.

What needs improvement?

I am expecting the new version 14.1 that brings significant improvements to replication.

With Informix, everything that's expected is met.

More than five years.

The solution is very stable!!! I have come to have instances of Informix with more than two years in the online state without losing its performance.

The DBMS Informix in scalability is optimal and never degraded your perfomance

The experience with technical support is excellent.

no, always informix.

The initial setup may be complex if no knowledge of the product is known.

Informix provides a basic setup that gets an initial configuration to operate.

The setting of the configuration requires knowledge of the product and its bonds.

Oracle and SQL SERVER

MohamedAfeilal - PeerSpot reviewer
    General Manager at New System Engineering
    Supports huge quantities of data without requiring expansion of capacity
    • "Replication is a valuable feature and easy to use."
    • "The solution lacks some functionality."

What is our primary use case?

We use Informix for the database, for replication and for backup. The solution is a repository for our clients' data. I'm the technical engineer manager and we are integrators.

What is most valuable?

Replication is the most valuable feature and it's relatively easy to use. We can use both SQL and non-SQL connections in the one database. Informix can support huge quantities of data with less memory and less capacity. We don't need to expand capacity to compute a huge quantity of data.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more functionality in Informix HQ to facilitate the administration of products. It's currently based on the UNIX command line and we don't have a very graphical interface to administer the data. I'd like to see more development in the language we use for developing a third procedure.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution can be customized to increase capacity.

The support is very good. If we report a level one incident, support can connect to the machine and resolve the incident remotely without a problem.

The initial setup is straightforward if you know what's required. It can be installed with 10 command lines. It takes about an hour to install on a new machine.

What other advice do I have?

Informix is very sturdy, but the problem for us is the marketing action around Informix. IBM doesn't provide the roadmap of the product, at least here in Morocco. There's nowhere we can go to access information about product functionality.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

MohamedAfeilal - PeerSpot reviewer
    General Manager at New System Engineering
    Good stability, and performance, with enhanced functionality
    • "The solution's stability, performance, enhanced functionality, and replication are all great features."
    • "There should be more intelligence surrounding discovering data to be able to automatically create indexes."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't include functionality like data anonymization. We have this functionality in other solutions like In SQL and Oracle but not in Informix. IBM has another product for anonymization, called InfoSphere Optim. Some clients want that anonymization in the engine, not in another product. Instead of making it a separate product, they should merge the two, or make anonymization available in this solution as well.

I've been using the solution since 1995.

Unfortunately, we don't have local technical support in Morocco. We have only call support; we don't have access to on-site support. We must have someone that's remote try to take action on our machine if there are issues.

The initial setup was easy.

The pricing is okay because we are able to negotiate costs. However, the solution should make an effort to adjust the pricing so that we can get the same pricing in Morocco as we would get in the United States.

What other advice do I have?

We use all deployment models, including cloud and on-premises.

I'd recommend the solution; I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

IBM
    DanielGonzalez2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Database specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    A scalable and stable solution with an easy setup and good performance

What is our primary use case?

I act as a consultant to my customers, who use the database for processing data.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution's performance and facility.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see backups from secondary servers.

We have been using IBM Informix for five years.

I have encountered no issues with the stability.

The scalability is very good, there existing a problem-free cluster for around ten months.

Thus far, the technical support has been very good.

The initial setup is very simple.

It took me around 13 minutes to deploy the solution.

Two people are sufficient for the deployment.

I am not aware of the licensing costs or terms.

What other advice do I have?

I act as a partner.

The security is sufficiently good.

There are around 2,000 people who are making use of the solution at present.

I rate IBM Informix as a ten out of ten.

Download our free Relational Databases Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, and more!
    Updated: September 2022