Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Google Vault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Vault is #2 ranked solution in top eDiscovery software and #4 ranked solution in top Email Archiving tools. PeerSpot users give Google Vault an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. Google Vault is most commonly compared to Commvault Complete Data Protection: Google Vault vs Commvault Complete Data Protection. Google Vault is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
Google Vault Buyer's Guide

Download the Google Vault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Google Vault?

Google Vault lets you retain, hold, search, and export data to support your organization’s archiving and eDiscovery needs. Vault supports:

• Email messages
  • Chats in classic Hangouts with history turned on and Google Talk chats that are on the record
  • Google Groups
  • Files in Google Drive and Team Drives
  • Conversations in Hangouts Chat

Vault is entirely web-based, so there's no need to install or maintain any software. Vault is included with G Suite Enterprise, Business, Education, or Drive Enterprise edition. (Compare editions) Or you can buy Vault licenses for an additional $5 per user, per month.

Google Vault Customers

Broadcom, Dr. Agarwal’s Eye Hospital, Globeflight, Maven Wave, McClatchy, NII Holdings, Safetec, Sheboygan County

Google Vault Video

Google Vault Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Vault pricing:
  • "Last year, the price was randomly increased and our customers were really facing a challenge around this. Google launched new pricing under different plans, where formerly there were only three plans, and now there are four, each with their own separate usage allowances. I think it's good, though. The basic plan is now the Business Starter plan, and many customers find this plan very convenient and minimal in price. Overall, the pricing for all the plans is good."
  • "Google Vault comes as part of a package deal for us."
  • Google Vault Reviews

Swapnil Dassi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Helps large companies with many employees keep track of important business emails and data
    • "In my opinion, the search functionality is the best feature. With Google Vault, we can quickly search for any email within Gmail accounts. And then we can get further information, such as if you want the full header or want to know any extra details about the emails."
    • "Although it does a good job of searching through data and exporting it, I feel that Google Vault should have more export options available to the user. As a reseller, our customers demand a lot from their Google products, and exporting is one area where there's a lot of improvement needed."

What is our primary use case?

One of my main use cases for Google Vault is helping customers to export data from Gmail, whether they want to move the data from one Gmail account to another, or for other reasons. Another common use case is for searching for information within Gmail and other products in Google Workspace.

We often get users who are facing some kind of challenge like not having enough storage space to backup their Workspace data, and this situation might be better solved by using Google Vault. Thus, we come in and ask the customer if they would like us to upgrade their plan and enable Google Vault to help record and back up their data, and if they agree then we help them to get it working.

We are a reseller of Google products and we have 1000+ customers who use Google Workspace. Out of these customers, over 500 are now using Google Vault as well.

How has it helped my organization?

For our customers who have large companies or organizations with many employees, one of the biggest benefits of Google Vault is having a solution that helps them monitor and keep track of all their emails and user data in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

It's also user-friendly and I always have a great experience using it because it helps you to more easily search for data across different labels in Google Workspace. In addition, it's a great help when it comes to exporting data from Google.

I have tried to use as many features as I can, and all of them are very useful and I don't think there are any disadvantages in terms of features other than what I think about the export options.

What needs improvement?

For example, in some cases our customers want to export their Gmail data so that they can transfer it to a new Gmail account. Unfortunately, Google doesn't offer this kind of option, so there's no way to do this migration directly. Instead, the user has to download their exported data from Gmail in PST format and then use a third-party tool like GAMME which is able to move the PST data to another Gmail account. In an ideal world, this step shouldn't be required, and the data should be able to be directly uploaded. There should be no extra migration steps or setup needed for this process, in my view.

As for the interface, I suppose there is room for improvement here as well. To be clear, the interface is very basic and easy to use, but the dashboard could show more information to make it more usable. As an example of what I would like to see for the admin user, it could show how many exports have been done in a certain time frame and which admins have performed searches or other actions in Google Vault. So all the things an admin would want to know quickly should be right there on the dashboard. I think this would make using Google Vault much more convenient.

Google Vault
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Google Vault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Google Vault for at least five years.

It's a stable solution.

We try to resolve any customer issues on our own. If we come across any special challenges, we contact the Google Vault team. In a recent project a few months back, there was an issue exporting the data because the file was in waiting status. So the exported data was different from the data which was available in the account, and we had to contact Google Vault's support team to remedy this, and they helped us out personally.

In terms of responsiveness, they are quick to reply but there's always the issue of different time zones to contend with. Sometimes they'll take a bit longer than usual to get back to us, but I understand that this is typically due to non-availability of their agents for valid reasons such as holidays, etc. Otherwise, they are very responsive.

I've been using Google's G Suite (now called Google Workspace) from the beginning, and as resellers we provide only Google support and deployment to our customers. So I have not used any other tool or solution in this type of work.

The overall setup is not complex, which is important. When it comes to migrating companies onto Google, there are, however, many other migrations that go along with it with regard to Google Workspace, and Google Vault is only a small part of the migration.

We have a team for deployment but this team is activated per project, as the project comes in. The initial implementation is done by either one or two people. So, I do this individually or I do this with the help of others. It depends upon the size of the project and the amount of users involved, but most of the time the implementation of Google Vault only requires one or two people.

For us as resellers, in the annual plan subscription it's not possible to increase the license because it simply reverts back. I understand that it's not possible as this is an old commitment, and I don't know if they will change it, but I would like there to be some kind of option available at our end as a reseller to adjust the annual license. This might not be the case for newer licensing agreements, of course.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others who are using Google Workspace to get to know what's possible and what's not with regard to data backups from the beginning. When purchasing Google Workspace, you should know what your backup options are when it comes to Google Vault, and whether they are adequate, before it's too late. Rather than rushing at the last minute, it's better to get that feature and understand that feature from the get-go.

On a cautionary note, Google Vault captures all the data related to your mails, chats, Google Drive, and so on, so if you are sharing any personal or confidential information in chats that you don't want anyone to access, then you should turn off your chat history.

I would rate Google Vault an eight out of ten.

Google
    Tyler Evans - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Technology Manager at Powercomm Construction Inc.
    Provides us risk and liability mitigation, with helpful archive search capabilities
    • "The most valuable features are automatic document and email retention."
    • "The knowledge base is not as in-depth as it should be."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the storage and retention of emails and other data. We are a construction company and we store past emails as part of our security process. This is important because we don't always know what an employee is going to send. So, we keep everything backed up in the vault and it stays there for as long as we need it, to do any type of forensics work if needed.

Another use case that I was looking at is the storage of videos posted inside G Suite or Google Workspace. However, I have not yet started to work on that.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a rogue employee sending out emails. He was upset with the company and he was sending emails out with pricing. This may have been possible because he was allowed to have one of the devices by the owner, although we are not one hundred percent sure. In any case, he was still able to send out emails, and because of Vault, he wasn't able to remove them, or proof that he had sent them. This meant that we were able to catch sim sending them out and trying to sabotage our company.

He had been high up on the pole, so he had access to information. With his sending of emails, we were able to narrow it down to him and not someone else who was working there. It was a lot easier to do the forensics and track down to see what was going on, because of the Vault search feature.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are automatic document and email retention. If these are accidentally deleted then they are held in the vault.

The search feature is very helpful when you are trying to dive into the information. It's Google's search feature, so it's very good and I recommend using it.

What needs improvement?

The knowledge base is not as in-depth as it should be. The product offers a lot of functionality, but not a lot of people know about what it can do.

I have been using Google Vault personally for a few years. My company has been using it for six or seven months.

This product has been working consecutively for the entire time. There has never really been any downtime or outage or anything, except for the other week, when Gmail had an issue. That is something that affected all of Google.

This product is very scalable, for what it is intended to do. It is not used directly by the users because they don't understand it. However, the people that it's activated for range from the owner to the president, finance, HR, and the foreman. It is used pretty much across the board because of its retention policy.

We have about 100 users in total and we will increase our usage as the company grows. At this point, there are no users without an account, and as new people come on board, we add a new account with Vault.

I have not been in touch with Google support for this product. However, for other products, they have not been spectacular. When we needed assistance with Gmail or documents, they have been less than productive in their responses outside of just sending you a knowledge base.

Prior to Google Vault, we were on GoDaddy 365, which would have been Microsoft Outlook archive. They both operate the same for the intention that we have.

GoDaddy is a service that I am unhappy with, and they should never have had an Office 365 offering. It is terrible from an administrative standpoint.

To be clear, Office 365 is really good, but GoDaddy's implementation is not.

That said, Office 365 Archive is pretty much comparable to Google Vault. This is not the same as GoDaddy 365 Archive, as there are software limitations.

The initial configuration involved setting up all of the emails and because the people were aware of Vault, I set up the auto-retention. From that point, whenever a user email was set up, Vault was already activated for them to do the backup. Using Google PowerShell, I was able to automate part of that. Whenever a new user was made, it would go ahead and set everything else up.

The deployment took approximately three days for full, wide usage.

Once it has been set up, it is good to go. There has not really been any maintenance outside of needed to do research or look into a specific email.

I deployed Vault for the company, as I was the only one with the knowledge.

Outside of risk mitigation and liability mitigation, there really isn't much that is a return on investment. However, those hold their own value, but it depends on the situation.

Google Vault comes as part of a package deal for us.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you have G Suite, then use Google Vault. It will certainly save you a headache. On the other handle, if you do not have the Google Suite then I would not recommend using it.

Early on, when I started using Google Vault, it taught me that it allows for risk mitigation and liability mitigation because you have exact copies of emails sent or documents that are sent out, and you have a paper trail that can be used if need be.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Google Vault
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Google Workspace Expert at Freelancer
    Easily search for and restore lost or deleted data
    • "Google Vault acts as a great method for retrieving files from Google Drive and Gmail."
    • "Searching could be improved. There's a lot of limitations when searching with Google Vault."

What is our primary use case?

I use Google Vault for data retention. For example, say I have my Google respite services and I want to retain data from Gmail, Google Drive, Google Chat — that's where Google Vault comes in. Whenever I want to back up or archive all the data that I have, I export it and save it in Google Vault.

My company employs a lot of people and they all support Google Vault. Not just Google Vault, but all of the Google services — Google Vault is just one of our supporting products —   it's one of the services that we troubleshoot.

How has it helped my organization?

Google Vault retains all deleted data from the previous four years. This function acts as backup security. This vital information can be made available to anyone who needs it. With Google Vault, we can improve our storage within the data that we no longer need. We can just delete everything on Google Vault on a specific number of days. No one will get this information in their inbox or their drive file. We can just simply remove it directly from Google Vault. It's much easier than removing it, user by user.

What is most valuable?

Google Vault acts as a great method for retrieving files from Google Drive and Gmail.

What needs improvement?

I have been serving customers with Google Vault, or Google Workspace rather, for the past three years.

Stability-wise, it's pretty good. I don't see any more room for improvement aside from the search tool. It's also very scalable, too.

I would give the technical support a rating of nine. Most of the technical support is very knowledgeable about this product and its services: how it works, how to work around issues, how to fix any problems you may encounter including how to manage tension, search and export. Their support is not just limited to Google Vault either. Most problems can be resolved within a few minutes or even with a simple email.

I've used too many solutions to mention.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. On the first page of Google Vault, you're already in the retention rule. All you have to do is click on the left side of which one you want to obtain. After you have created the retention rule, then you can create your Vault. It's pretty straight forward when you're configuring Google Vault.

An experienced person can configure Google Vault in roughly two to three minutes. That's all the time it takes to create a retention rule for your organization.

As I am a trained implementer, I do it the only way I know how. There's a lot of implementation support available on google.com — you can search for Google Vault, and they will tell you how to set it up for your organization. Personally, I just play around with the settings — there's an easy setup option there that you can find.

We work closely with a Google Vault engineer who takes care of all maintenance-related issues.

Whoever performs the maintenance should be familiar with retention and searching capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

Before your organization starts using Google Vault Services, make sure that the person that will handle the retention and the solution is very knowledgeable about the product. You need to understand the settings — some are straightforward, others are not. The person who is in charge should be knowledgeable about Google Services as a whole, not just Google Vault. An organization needs retention rules because they apply to every organization. Someone with an IT background would make a good fit.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Google Vault a rating of ten.
    It's a very useful solution for a large organization, but it's not very necessary for smaller organizations. If you have a business of 10 to 20 employees, then you definitely need Google Vault. That way, you can restore any lost or deleted information easily.

Alexa Garcia López - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Analyst Engineer at EPAM Systems
    Ability to easily search for and indefinitely retain data is excellent; very user friendly
    • "Search feature is valuable for our customers."
    • "eDiscovery could be improved with additional information and an easier way to retain it."

What is our primary use case?

Our company mainly provides engineering support for customers using Google Vault. We are based in Mexico but also service other countries. Our work is all remote. We are vendors and I'm a software analyst engineer.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable features are Gmail and Drive. The solution is also very helpful with Google Chat messages, because sometimes you might be missing some information and you can search for it in Google Vault, a very helpful feature for our customers. The solution enables you to indefinitely retain data. It's a great feature. As a technical engineer, I find the solution user friendly.

What needs improvement?

eDiscovery could be improved. It's used for searching, holding, and exporting data for Vault and I believe it should be updated. They could maybe provide a little bit more information and an easier way to retain that information. I'd like to see something more friendly for our customers. As a technical engineer, I can understand some of the things that Google Vault shows, but if a customer doesn't have a technical background, it would be difficult for them to actually know what it does.

The solution is stable although I think that when it comes to big companies, there are some issues because it's difficult to know the magnitude; how many exports, imports, or queries the customer wants to run. I'd say it's close to 90% stable. It requires monthly internal maintenance and a quarterly maintenance that Google updates. It notifies you when you need to implement updates.

We haven't tried scaling the solution. We're dealing with 20 to 30 companies including Twitter, Spotify, Snapchat, and also Netflix. So those are the big companies that use it. Basically the people using it are the administrators of the control panel for Google. Those customers will be employers within the company.

Because I'm the first and second level of support, I contact our product team and let them know if there are any technical issues. They will try to solve the issue. I haven't had contact with Google Vault's technical support.

The initial setup can be quite complex, depending on the customer's configuration in the cloud. Deployment usually takes around 24 hours. Sometimes there are delays and it takes longer, but usually about 24 hours. We ask in advance for documentation with regard to the customer's configuration so we can get an idea of what will be involved in the implementation. After that, we make some exceptions and maybe some reproduction steps from our end. At that point we try to run it into production mode.

I'm not sure how the licensing works for customers. I know that you can buy a Vault license that includes a business, education and enterprise for education. Normally those are the customers that we support. There is another area that's a Vault add on and that's for essentials only. And those would only have to be verified within the domain.

What other advice do I have?

One of our recommendations to customers is to really take a look into the articles that Google provides publicly. They can also get access to videos that are really user friendly and helpful. I think right now Google Vault is well structured. It's important to read the requirements because even though the customers may think they have all the requirements, they have to really take a look that the version in their system is always updated. My most important advice is to save all your information, including what's been deleted because once it's gone, it's gone.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Google Vault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022