Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Google Firebase OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Firebase is #5 ranked solution in top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. PeerSpot users give Google Firebase an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Google Firebase is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure: Google Firebase vs Microsoft Azure. Google Firebase is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.
Google Firebase Buyer's Guide

Download the Google Firebase Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Google Firebase?

Google Firebase is a stable, reliable, and scalable mobile platform that enables you to quickly develop apps, accelerate them, and monitor their performance.

With Google Firebase You Can

• Build and run successful apps
  • Scale globally
  • Monitor app quality and performance with little effort
  • Boost user engagement

• iOS SDK
  • Android SDK
  • Admin SDK

Benefits of Google Firebase:

• Fast implementation: Google Firebase makes it possible for you to set up your authentication system quickly, using minimal code.
  • Comprehensive security: With Google Firebase, your systems remain secured; It is backed by Google Sign-in, Chrome Password Manager, and also Smart Lock.
  • Machine learning capabilities: Firebase offers machine learning capabilities that help you deploy and train custom models.
  • Eliminate the need to manage servers: Because Google Firebase offers cloud functions, it enables you to run your mobile backend code without having to also manage your servers.
  • Authentication for any platform: Google’s Firebase authentication makes the sign-in process easier by providing an end-to-end identity solution that works with any platform.
  • Customized notifications: With cloud messaging, you can customize alerts, defining how and when they are sent, what sounds they should make, and can also select the expiration date for each message. In addition, it gives you the ability to track custom conversion events.
  • Fast and secure web hosting: Firebase makes it possible for you to have easy and secure web hosting with fast content delivery. Firebase hosting also provides free SSL certificates.
  • Cloud storage: With Google Firebase you have access to cloud storage that supports robust uploads and downloads, can handle user-generated content, and provides simple and intuitive access control.
  • Developer-friendly: Developers prefer to use Firebase because it lets them focus on creating frontend code for mobile applications rather than having to concentrate on backend code.

Reviews from Real Users

PeerSpot user Nilakshi S., technical team lead at AuthentiCode says, “The solution is very stable and very reliable. There aren't any bugs or glitches.”

"What I like most about Google Firebase is that it's one of the easier options to host a website or app quickly," says Craig F., application development manager at a financial services firm.

A senior developer at a consultancy says, “The documentation for Google Firebase is great. Also, what I like about it is the integration to Android, which is the reason I went with Firebase.”

Google Firebase Customers

Fabulous, Pic Collage, Shazam, SkyScanner

Google Firebase Video

Google Firebase Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Firebase pricing:
  • "Pricing for Google Firebase is not so expensive, and if you're a start-up with a small amount of data, it will be quite cheap, and there's even a free tier that you can use. If you're doing a pilot with a reasonable amount of data, for example, just a few gigabytes, it's still on the free tier. If you increase the amount of data, Google Firebase pricing is still reasonable."
  • "The pricing component is a bit confusing when it comes to what exactly you'll pay for, but I wouldn't say it's expensive."
  • "The moment you go into volumes, then you work on a pay-per-volume basis."
  • "We are using the free version of Google Firebase."
  • "The price of Google Firebase is very good."
  • Google Firebase Reviews

Yehuda Parnes - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder at Simplify IT
    Stable and has a lot of functionalities out of the box; with reasonable pricing and self-explanatory documentation
    • "The most beautiful feature of Google Firebase is that it gives you a lot of functionalities out of the box, without you having to develop or having to complete a solution. For example, identity management is integrated, and security is out of the box, particularly security for the user and the ability of each user to see his data. I also like that Google Firebase has a really good performance and is comparable to MongoDB. It's on the same level, and sometimes, it's on an even higher level than MongoDB. Other functions that Google Firebase has that I find valuable include information dissemination, mail automation, and SMS, available out of the box. Another valuable feature of the solution is that it allows you to develop some functionalities on the server side, so you can write JavaScript functions on the server side and use those functions quite easily. Google Firebase gives you almost a full backend environment out of the box without you having to do any deployments or a lot of administration because all administration is given out of the box."
    • "There's always room for improvement in every product, and the major improvement that's needed in Google Firebase is its simplification, particularly for unsavvy users or non-technical users. If you're not tech-savvy, it would be very difficult for you to use the functions of the solution and understand its security rules. If you want even non-technical people to find it easy to use Google Firebase, it should be simplified because the difference between screen-derived management and code-derived management isn't complex, so simplification wouldn't be an issue."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Google Firebase for Backend as a Service, while in the front end, I'm using AppGyver. The major use case for Google Firebase is that it's a backend server for mobile applications.

What is most valuable?

The most beautiful feature of Google Firebase is that it gives you a lot of functionalities out of the box, without you having to develop or having to complete a solution. For example, identity management is integrated, and security is out of the box, particularly security for the user and the ability of each user to see his data.

I also like that Google Firebase has a really good performance and is comparable to MongoDB. It's on the same level, and sometimes, it's on an even higher level than MongoDB.

Other functions that Google Firebase has that I find valuable include information dissemination, mail automation, and SMS, available out of the box.

Another valuable feature of the solution is that it allows you to develop some functionalities on the server side, so you can write JavaScript functions on the server side and use those functions quite easily. Google Firebase gives you almost a full backend environment out of the box without you having to do any deployments or a lot of administration because all administration is given out of the box.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement in every product, and the major improvement that's needed in Google Firebase is its simplification, particularly for unsavvy users or non-technical users. If you're not tech-savvy, it would be very difficult for you to use the functions of the solution and understand its security rules.

If you want even non-technical people to find it easy to use Google Firebase, it should be simplified because the difference between screen-derived management and code-derived management isn't complex, so simplification wouldn't be an issue.

Another area for improvement in the solution is the functionality of querying a database, for example, the database in my company is DocumentDB, but Google Firebase doesn't support SQL queries, and using SQL language will dramatically increase usage. Each database has its language for querying, and I like SQL which is a standard query language. It's really difficult to query databases because, on each database, you have to learn a different language, so in DocumentDB and some other databases, there's a layer that gives you the ability to query with regular SQL language, but Google Firebase doesn't have that layer or functionality.

An additional feature I'd like to see in the next version of the solution is better querying. Another feature I'd like added to Google Firebase is for the security to be derived by screens, rather than by code, meaning that it can be automated by screens, and not by coding, then you can take it out of the development area, so it can be maintained by non-tech savvy users.

I've been using Google Firebase for almost one year now.

Google Firebase
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Google Firebase. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Google Firebase is stable and is significantly more stable than other solutions, for example, MongoDB. Per my usage of the solution at a start-up level, I haven't experienced any problems with it in terms of stability, but I've read that some customers complain about it.

Google Firebase is a scalable solution.

I never needed to contact Google Firebase technical support because I could manage any issue myself as the documentation for the solution was self-explanatory.

I reviewed and compared Google Firebase against different Backend as a Service, or backend solutions for mobile devices, such as Backendless and Xano. There's also MongoDB which is a huge database, but it's on a different level and focuses. Eventually, I chose to go with Google Firebase because of its functionality and cost. The solution was cheaper than the others, so it was better in terms of cost and functionality.

Google Firebase is SaaS and cloud-based, so it's really easy and straightforward to set up, even if you don't have that much knowledge about it.

Pricing for Google Firebase is not so expensive, and if you're a start-up with a small amount of data, it will be quite cheap, and there's even a free tier that you can use. If you're doing a pilot with a reasonable amount of data, for example, just a few gigabytes, it's still on the free tier. If you increase the amount of data, Google Firebase pricing is still reasonable.

The solution has two levels of pricing: the no-cost and the pay-as-you-go. The no-cost pricing level means that if you do AB testing, analytics, app distribution, app indexing, authentication, and storage on the free tier, you can do ten thousand authentications a month for free. For ten thousand email authentications or mobile authentications, it's also free. For fifty thousand identification management and identity checks, it's free. One gigabyte of storage is free, and ten gigabytes for networking is also free. Twenty thousand documents a day is free.

For pay-as-you-go, it's one cent per authentication if you are in the United States. If you are outside of the United States, it will cost you six cents per authentication. For storage after one gigabyte, it'll be ten cents per additional gigabyte, for example, two gigabytes amount to ten cents, three gigabytes would cost twenty cents, and so on.

I evaluated AppGyver, and I'm using it together with Google Firebase. I also evaluated Backendless, Xano, and MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the cloud version of Google Firebase, so it's just one version and it's always the latest version.

Three developers, myself included, use Google Firebase. As the solution is SaaS, most of the heavy maintenance is handled by Google, but it's my team who handles the application administration and maintenance.

My advice for users of DocumentDB and Google Firebase is to first make sure that DocumentDB is the right solution because, at the start, DocumentDB would be good enough, but as you're growing your applications, you'll realize that DocumentDB isn't the only solution, or isn't the right solution for you. This means that the cost of ownership becomes much, much bigger, so my first advice is to focus on the type of database and figure out what's the best database for you, whether it's a relational database or another type. As soon as you get your answer, you'll find that Google Firebase has a very wide range of solutions it can support.

My rating for Google Firebase is nine out of ten because it's a good solution and it's maintained by Google, and Google has invested enough in it.

I'm a Google Firebase user.

Google
    Nilakshi Sharma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Team Lead at AuthentiCode
    Drastically reduces processing time, good record keeping, and regularly updated
    • "If there's data added to the solution, there's a good record of it so it's easy to track everything."
    • "The solution needs to offer capabilities to work offline. Like Firestore, we should be able to do insertion, updating, and deletion offline."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the platform to manage our apps. For example, in one instance, we get data from the Australian government regarding the cost of fuel via an API. Then we store the data in Firestore and then we use it in our app, according to the state and according to the cities to show the price of fuel within them.

How has it helped my organization?

The processing time has been drastically reduced. We have it down to a few minutes from 45 minutes. It's made everything so much faster.

What is most valuable?

Using the batch, it takes mere minutes to update the server. Normally, if we have a task, such as 12,000 records to be updated, it used to take 45 minutes to update. Now, after changing the code to a batch query it takes around one minute or less than one minute to update the records to Firestore.

Everything is updated automatically, which is very helpful.

The solution has a lot of features related to notifications and analytics. You can see information about how many users are on the app and from which country they are using the app.

What needs improvement?

Earlier I was using Firebase, however, now I am using Firestore. Firestore is much better than Firebase as it is the advanced version of Firebase and also it reduces the developer's time even more. It provides for queries. In Firebase you don't have that many queries to implement, get, or sort data. Firestore provides a lot of queries including MySQL. We find it much better. Firebase should offer some more of the features that exist in Firestore.

The solution needs to offer capabilities to work offline. Like Firestore, we should be able to do insertion, updating, and deletion offline.

When we connect to the internet, it should automatically update data to the server.

I've been using the solution for the last two years.

The solution is very stable and very reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. They have a Crashlytic feature as well, where you can see on which line of code the app has crashed if you need to. It's very transparent.

The solution is scalable and easy to use. As a developer, when I'm working on it, I know what I want out of my database. We can add the APIs and WAP services that we use with ease. We can build both a front end and back end with it. It's also fast. It can be used for both apps and web development as well. It's flexible.

We have five people at our organization that use it. There are two developers on iOS and two on Android and then we have a developer for the backend tool.

The solution offers very good documentation of everything. They also provide demos regarding the Firestore or Firebase or any feature you want to implement. It's not very tough to use anything due to the proper documentation. Therefore, we don't really need to reach out to technical support to do any troubleshooting.

We currently use Firestore and we like it much better due to the fact that you can work offline and there are many excellent features that just aren't available in Firebase.

We previously used Back4App. It has similar functionality to Firebase. We switched, however, due to the fact that Firebase is easy to handle and they have great documentation available.

I'm also still actually using Back4App, however, I don't find that great. I found Firebase easier in comparison to Back4App. There just isn't the same level of documentation. I really have to search for information.

Also, unlike Firebase, you have to buy a plan for it, no matter the number of users whereas Firebase is free for the first few users.

The solution is not complex. It's very straightforward. It is very easy to import or add. It is a very easy process.

During the first week, we arranged pre-requisites on the Firebase console. We added a package name, and an app name and updated the server file. After that, we downloaded it and add it to our project then ran the project. Everything is automatic. There are also files that we added and are updated.

The deployment is very fast. It is about five minutes in total. It depends upon the internet speed, of course. Initially, we had to run the app on our device.

We have one or two people that handle maintenance.

A developer has to maintain the upgrades of the libraries and Cadency versions. Whenever we add any feature or something, or if then we have to upgrade the version for different dependencies, we'll have to do some maintenance. The maintenance part involves looking for cracks in the apps.

Right now, we're using the free version. The solution allows for a specific number of users that can use it for free. Then, then the plan can be upgraded according to the number of users, or according to the storage that we need on Firebase. Pricing, therefore, depends upon the client or the number of users coming to the app.

Typically, we start with the free option, and if we need to, we'll ask the client to upgrade the plan.

Under the free plan, they offer authentication, and have a Firestore Cloud Function, hosting, and a real-time database as well as storage, therefore you do get a lot of things included and you don't have to pay for any of it until you add too many users or need more storage.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise users actually go to Firestore instead of Firebase, as there are just a lot more features that you have access to.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. If it offered the same features as Firestore, I'd rate it higher.

Google Firebase
    September 2022
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Craig Fraser - PeerSpot reviewer
    Application Development Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    One of the easier options to host a website or app quickly.
    • "What I like most about Google Firebase is that it's one of the easier options to host a website or app quickly."
    • "I would like to see faster data migration and some support for other languages in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Firebase for the database in the backend. We also use some of the Firebase functions for the website to interact with. We host two apps on it. One is an Ionic app that connects to the Google Play Store and the Apple Play store. The other one also has a Firebase backend, Firebase functions, and some schedule functions to make some payments.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Google Firebase is that it's one of the easier options to host a website or app quickly. I think the backend integration is quite quick with the Firebase.

What needs improvement?

I think the migration into a data warehouse, or Google BigQuery, should be a bit more automated. There are still some manual hiccups, and it wasn't as user friendly as some of the other components.

I would like to see faster data migration and some support for other languages in the next release. Google Firebase has functions, but it'll help to do a .NET Core kind of function or a bit of additional support for other languages. Right now, I feel like it's very Google-centric.

I have been using Google Firebase for about 18 months.

Google Firebase is definitely a stable solution.

Google Firebase felt like it was scalable to a point with our solution. But when we went a bit further with our databases, we ran into some problems.

We had a concept where we were white labeling and had different speeds. As soon as we connected six different apps to the same backend, we started having problems. Then we had to split into duplicate databases, and that wasn't perfect.

I also found that we hadn't used the real-time database in the BI component, and we used the Firestore component. Originally, we had a real-time database, and we migrated to the Google Cloud Firestore database. I found that I could easily migrate that into Google BigQuery. But there's a couple of steps. First, you have to do the backup, and then you have to import these backups into Google BigQuery.

I did that about six months ago and was slightly annoyed that there were no streaming functions. Scheduling the import was very difficult with Firestore. We had to use a couple of other tools to create schedulers to import. But the import on the Google BigQuery and the Firestore component was still a manual process, which was a bit annoying.

Google Firebase is quick to set up and relatively easy to install. But it depends on the context, dependent on the growth of the application. For example, if you have a site that's already developed, doing the hosting and configurations, with authentication plugins and more, will probably take anywhere from a couple of days to a week.

Google Firebase was set up by myself and one of the other developers.

The pricing component is a bit confusing when it comes to what exactly you'll pay for, but I wouldn't say it's expensive. I just found it a bit confusing to understand what exactly it was saying. There aren't any extra payments for the license.

We started with Firebase, but we recently considered moving over to Azure. But the benefits we would've received weren't worth the migration effort.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Google Firebase for startups and people specifically focusing on apps.

Based on our use case, I would give Google Firebase an eight.

Google
    Senior Developer at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Gives more power and accessibility to quickly publish apps
    • "Google Firebase is one I like a lot because it gives us a little bit more power and accessibility when it comes to publishing apps a lot quicker and for the needs that we have."
    • "The only thing that I won't do on Firebase is the hosting side of things for a progressive web app because it feels like you actually still need to download the app first before you can actually get into the functionality of the app."

What is most valuable?

Google Firebase is one I like a lot because it gives us a little bit more power and accessibility when it comes to publishing apps a lot quicker and for the needs that we have.

The documentation for Google Firebase is great. Also, what I like about it is the integration to Android, which is the reason I went with Firebase. Android is the biggest mobile platform out there currently, bigger than IOS, especially in South Africa.

What needs improvement?

So, it's not really a website, but it's web-based, and the app needs to be like a downloadable app. In that sense, I'm using normal Linux hosting and PHP for normal websites. I still have to split my software into a web app. If there's something that needs to be improved, it is that if you publish an app as web-based that you don't have to physically download the app or that the app doesn't download in the background.

I would rather not publish as a progressive web app. Initially, on first opening up, the app seems very slow. After that it's quick, but it feels like the app needs to be downloaded first before you can actually get into the functionality of the app.

I've been using it for about six or seven months.

In the case of your first setup, if you're not sure what you want to do, it can become a bit of a problem. If you've done something wrong, it's very difficult to get rid of your project. There are some unique IDs that are left behind. So, the initial stages were a little bit difficult in that sense because if you make a mistake, you can't reuse what you have done.

However, once I got used to working with Firebase, it was nice and easy. Firebase is a Google product, but in the beginning, it didn't seem like one. Google is making a lot of changes, which makes us developers make other changes a lot as well.

The moment you go into volumes, then you work on a pay-per-volume basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it if you're experimenting and starting off because of the way Google gives you a lot of free options when the project is still small. However, if you're thinking of a big project where there's going to be costs and a lot of traffic, then I would recommend that you decide on Firebase, Azure, or AWS from the beginning before you actually do something. For the experimental side, Firebase is fantastic.

If you're going to do mobile apps and need to publish to play store and have functionalities such as push notifications, analytics, AdMob, and monetization, then Firebase definitely is the way to go.

I would rate Google Firsebase at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Sivakumar Rathinavelu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead/Specialist Engineer Software at Signify
    Low maintenance, high performance, and simple implementation
    • "The most valuable features of Google Firebase have been Analytics, Remote Config, and Crashlytics. Additionally, a lot of companies have used push notifications which is important. There is little maintenance required."
    • "Google Firebase could improve the ability to create our own reports, other than what's available on the dashboard. For example, if we want to customize the report or export the data, this is a large task."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Google Firebase have been Analytics, Remote Config, and Crashlytics. Additionally, a lot of companies have used push notifications which is important. There is little maintenance required.

What needs improvement?

Google Firebase could improve the ability to create our own reports, other than what's available on the dashboard. For example, if we want to customize the report or export the data, this is a large task.

Crashlytics was not very helpful, it doesn't give enough information to narrow down the problem.

I have been using Google Firebase for approximately one and a half years.

Google Firebase is stable and we don't have any performance issues.

The scalability of Google Firebase is good, but there are some limitations. For example, once you are set up, there's no way you can delete the data or change the settings. It's durable, handles many loads, and pushes the data when the user is not aware.

I have not used technical support.

The setup of Google Firebase was an easy process.

We are using the free version of Google Firebase.

What other advice do I have?

Google Firebase is a very good solution.

I rate Google Firebase an eight out of ten.

Daniel OlivierBaptiste - PeerSpot reviewer
    Android developer at Sensibill
    The notifications, bug tracking and crash analytics are helpful
    • "I love Firebase's notifications, crash analytics, and bug tracking. It gives you detailed reporting about app usage and users."
    • "Firebase's real-time information isn't technically real-time. It takes a while to upload user activity into the app. It's not as fast as Datadog, the other solution we use."

What is our primary use case?

Firebase has multiple uses. My team uses it for the mobile app, while the audit team uses Firebase for the web app. We are also using Firebase to handle notifications into the mobile and web app.

What is most valuable?

I love Firebase's notifications, crash analytics, and bug tracking. It gives you detailed reporting about app usage and users.

What needs improvement?

Firebase's real-time information isn't technically real-time. It takes a while to upload user activity into the app. It's not as fast as Datadog, the other solution we use.

I've been using Firebase for two years at my current company, but they were using it before I was hired.

Firebase is stable.

I believe Firebase is scalable.

Firebase was already set up when I started, but I know that the integration steps are explained well in detailed documentation.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Google Firebase eight out of 10. Firebase is a good product. The free version is decent, so you can start with that and pay for more features as your needs grow. I think it's a fantastic product to start with.

Shaunak Jagtap - PeerSpot reviewer
    Developer at Dyte
    App development software that is suitable for smaller business but requires different infrastructure for scale

What is our primary use case?

This solution supports our real time database. We also use it for AB testing and for its Google Cloud functions. We make use of Crashlytics and reporting on details.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the cloud functions.

What needs improvement?

We have experienced many challenges with the realtime database. Every time we need to retrieve chat history that has multiple observers, it will execute multiple times. The UI for the realtime database could be simplified.

I have used this solution for three years.

This is a stable solution but requires some improvement.

The technical support for this solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

You can use this solution for lightweight use but I would not recommend being dependant on it. When you want to scale, you will need to have your own server, services and infrastructure.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

IT Manager at a university with 51-200 employees
    Priced well, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Google Firebase helps us build and run applications.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing an improved SDK tool and automatic indexing for databases.

I have been using Google Firebase for approximately four years.

The solution is stable.

Google Firebase is scalable.

The price of Google Firebase is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Google Firebase a nine out of ten.

Download our free Google Firebase Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022