Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Google App Engine OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google App Engine is #13 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give Google App Engine an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Google App Engine is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: Google App Engine vs Amazon AWS. Google App Engine is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the PaaS Clouds Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Google App Engine?

Google App Engine is a Platform-as-a-Service (Paas) provider that equips web application developers with all the resources and tools that they need to develop, test, and run their applications on Google's infrastructure. Everything is built into the kit, so with one download of the SDK, you'll be well on your way to first-rate apps.

Google App Engine Customers

Khan Academy, Best Buy, Gigya, MetOffice, Getaround, Mimiboard, NewsLimited, WebFilings, and CloudLock.

Google App Engine Video

Google App Engine Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google App Engine pricing:
"We pay the license yearly. It's about $6 a month, which is $72 a year per person, so it's about $500."

Google App Engine Reviews

Director- Technical Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Shared drive allows for communication, collaboration, and documentation in our company
  • "I've found that all of the features are valuable, especially the shared drive and the ability for multiple people to use their documents at the same time."
  • "I think there's still a lot that can be done with Google Meet and the video conferencing part of it. It could be more dynamic in terms of what can be done with it."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for communication, collaboration, and documentation. We're using Google Business Starter. The solution is deployed on a public cloud.

There are about seven people using this solution in my company.

What is most valuable?

I've found that all of the features are valuable, especially the shared drive and the ability for multiple people to use their documents at the same time. If I share my Google Sheets, as I'm updating, other people can see the updates happening at the same time.

What needs improvement?

The main thing that could be improved is the pricing. It could be cheaper, especially for those in Africa where we have a high exchange rate.

I think there's still a lot that can be done with Google Meet and the video conferencing part of it. It could be more dynamic in terms of what can be done with it.

I have been using this solution for about seven years.

August 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Microsoft, Amazon and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: August 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's stable.

The solution is scalable.

Initial setup was straightforward. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a 4.

We pay the license yearly. It's about $6 a month, which is $72 a year per person, so it's about $500.

I would give the pricing a 2 on a scale of 1 to 5. The pricing is really not bad. The kill is that my country's economy is causing problems. So with each passing day, our currency loses value, and it sort of looks more expensive each day.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

It is a good product. For someone looking to implement this product, I would advise them to go with it. It's better for people in a stable economy where their pricing is constant and they can predict what it will cost throughout the year.

Programma en project manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Powerful, simple to use, and good documentation

What is our primary use case?

We have an industrial maintenance program application, and we log maintenance data.

We are using its latest version. When there is a new upgrade, we just upgrade. In terms of deployment, the development suite is on laptops, but the service is on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

It is simple to use. It is much simpler than AWS. It is also very powerful.

What needs improvement?

I would like a simpler deployment tool on laptops. It is a bit complicated at the moment. We know how to do it, but it could be easier to deploy it on laptops.

I have been using it for two and a half years.

It is stable. There are no issues.

It is scalable.

We haven't used their support, but the documentation is very good. We also use their Stack Overflow service, which is quite okay.

Its initial setup is very complex.

What other advice do I have?

I'm quite happy with it. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Google
August 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DirectorManaging Partner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Effective self-management and implementation is straightforward
  • "Google App Engine's most valuable feature is self-management. You do not have to manage the infrastructure underneath where all the functions are happening, such as load balancing deployment and version management, they are managed by the system itself."
  • "The only concern is that there is a number of the offerings which are built on their own proprietary technologies. With some of the offerings in Google Cloud, it's difficult to have a path to migrate to other cloud providers."

What is our primary use case?

We have five Google App Engine applications deployed on private clouds, and we have some deployed on public clouds. We use both Google and Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

Google App Engine's most valuable feature is self-management. You do not have to manage the infrastructure underneath where all the functions are happening, such as load balancing deployment and version management, they are managed by the system itself.

Google Cloud has a number of products that complement each other in being able to provide solid cloud feature sets. We've had many products that are available on Google Cloud and you are able to build whatever you want. There's always a solution for what you need.

What needs improvement?

The only concern is that there is a number of the offerings which are built on their own proprietary technologies. With some of the offerings in Google Cloud, it's difficult to have a path to migrate to other cloud providers.

I have been Google App Engine for approximately four years.

The solution is easy to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Google App Engine an eight out of ten.

Download our free PaaS Clouds Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and more!
Updated: August 2022