Fortinet FortiExtender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiExtender is the #8 ranked solution in top Wireless WAN tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiExtender an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Fortinet FortiExtender is most commonly compared to Cisco Wireless WAN: Fortinet FortiExtender vs Cisco Wireless WAN. Fortinet FortiExtender is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 41% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 35% of all views.
Fortinet FortiExtender Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiExtender Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Fortinet FortiExtender?

Fortinet FortiExtender is a cost-effective hardware WAN device that is robust, easily scales, and delivers 5G, LTE, and Ethernet options. FortiExtender is designed using Fortinet’s trademark security-focused networking. The solution enables organizations to have enhanced secure network connectivity with cellular and wired broadband network options.

FortiExtender can be used for secure point of sale (POS) systems to transport fleet communications. The device delivers dependable broadband access to the internet and increases the usefulness of the Fortinet Security Fabric integration to enhance seamless business processes that rely heavily on remote device connectivity to get the job done.

FortiExtender delivers super-fast 5G and LTE wireless to connect and quickly scale any WAN edge. Users get 5G/LTE cellular, out-of-band management (OBM), high availability (HA), and dynamic risk security in one comprehensive, reliable solution.

Fortinet FortiExtender Benefits

• Failover protection: Users get secure network failover protection with dual SIM, dual modem, and out of band management (OBM) functionalities.

• Cloud-based processes: Organizations with a global reach can easily manage processes in the cloud from anywhere. Users can use FortiGate, FortiManager, or FortiExtender Cloud Dashboard to view and easily manage security controls, network changes, and policy and protocol automation.

• Integration: Seamlessly integrates with Fortinet Secure SD-WAN for simplified deployment, security, and management.

• Improves TCO: FortiExtender is a very cost-effective option when integrated with FortiGate Network Security Platform. FortiExtender implements processes that save money and improve connectivity, functionality, and profitability.

Fortinet FortiExtender Features

• Plug-and-play: Out of the box and ready to go, once FortiExtenders are connected to the FortiGate, they are available on the FortiOS management platform. Additionally, FortiOS provides complete visibility, monitoring data usage to ensure limits are not exceeded, resulting in significant cost savings.

• Flexible connectivity options:

• LTE/5G : The FortiExtender devices provide dual SIM and dual modem options for four different ISPs. Dual SIM allows for active/passive cellular link for fast failover. Dual modem options provide two active/passive links for super-fast failover and disaster recovery. ISPs can be set for data usage limits and seamlessly switch to other ISPs to balance connectivity and reduce costs.

• WAN connectivity: Using an Ethernet WAN port, users can connect cable, DSL, or another modem. Load balancing and failover options available.

• Hybrid WAN-LAN connectivity: Four LAN ethernet ports enable users to have numerous connections to the LTE connection. Works well for high availability (HA) pairs of FortiGates to connect to FortiExtender. FortiGates then will run in failover or load balancing mode and receive WAN connectivity from the FortiExtender device.

Reviews from Real Users

“Fortinet FortiExtender helps facilitate Fortinet connectivity. When it comes to cell phone towers, you never know what you'll get with global configurations. We use this solution to mitigate switching cell phone towers. The scalability is limitless based on your cell and your internet or your cloud connectivity.  It's similar to any other VPN in terms of how simple it is to set up in a global or extended environment with a large number of clients.” - Clement J., Chief Executive Officer at Clemtech LLC

Fortinet FortiExtender Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiExtender Video

Archived Fortinet FortiExtender Reviews (more than two years old)

Co-founder and Chief Operating Officer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Stable and scalable but it should be more intuitive and user friendly
  • "The initial setup was was just beautiful. It was straightforward."
  • "The solution would be a lot better if it was a little bit more intuitive. Additionally, the help menu would be a lot better if it was easier to identify the items that I was looking for. I find the graphical interface a little bit difficult to navigate. And I find the font that is used on the HTML interface not conducive to being able to be read in low light situations."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in our head office.

What is most valuable?

We haven't implemented all of the features. We are just about to implement the captive portal and the edit to 1X authentication. It's taken us a little bit of time to get there. At the moment we are just using it as an open wireless access point.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be a lot better if it was a little bit more intuitive.

I have been working with Fortinet for around two years.

Fortinet FortiExtender
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiExtender. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is beautiful.

The scalability is beautiful.

The initial setup was was just beautiful. It was straightforward.

I'm happy with the price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people looking at the solution is that I think they should buy it.

On a scale of one to ten I would give Fortinet FortiExtender a seven.

Mohamed Talbi - PeerSpot reviewer
Network and Security Engineer at Neurones
Very user-friendly, extremely simple to set up and good scalability
  • "The solution is extremely user-friendly."
  • "The engineering of the solution has some negative points, especially in terms of troubleshooting. It's difficult to troubleshoot when we have a problem. It's not like other products like Cisco or Palo Alto which make troubleshooting much easier."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the FortiExtender for a mobile connection with sites where there is no wireless connection.

What is most valuable?

The redundancy and the functionality of the SD-WAN connection that gives us the possibility to connect via smartphones is the solution's most valuable feature. The load sharing is also very good.

The solution is extremely user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The engineering of the solution has some negative points, especially in terms of troubleshooting. It's difficult to troubleshoot when we have a problem. It's not like other products like Cisco or Palo Alto which make troubleshooting much easier.

The solution should offer better monitoring, like Palo Alto, which uses the monitoring feature to help you find a problem. Palo Alto also offers a packet tracer to give you the opportunity to test your configuration before you use it. That way, you can try a configuration you are not sure about it. Fortinet, in my opinion, can do more at this point.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The stability is good. There aren't too many bugs in the OS, so it maintains good stability.

The solution offers decent scalability. At this point, we don't plan to increase usage.

Support is good. Occasionally we reach out if we have troubleshooting issues, and they are always helpful.

I previously worked with Cisco. I also work with Palo Alto and Check Point. We switched mostly due to the price difference. With Fortinet, it's cheaper and we don't sacrifice quality. It's also easier to use than say, Check Point, which was a difficult product for us. It took too much time to learn its intricacies.

The initial setup is very easy. FortiExtender is one of the easiest products I've worked with. Deployment took about 30 minutes, but we took some time in advance of the setup to understand the architecture. The solution, in general, is very easy to install and configure. It takes about two people to deploy the solution.

Our team handled the implementation ourselves. If we had questions, we would work with the Fortinet team as well.

You have an option to license the solution for one, three, or five years. There aren't any extra costs over and above the licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

There's no need for maintenance with this product. Occasionally something may need troubleshooting. If it's something the team can't handle, you can always call Fortinet's support team.

I'd advise others to test the solution. It's a very good product with the possibility to use it as a firewall. You should learn it before you use it so that you know its features and its full potential as a solution.

I was very impressed when I used it for the first time.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiExtender Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022