IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Everbridge IT Alerting OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Everbridge IT Alerting is #4 ranked solution in top IT Alerting and Incident Management tools. PeerSpot users give Everbridge IT Alerting an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Everbridge IT Alerting is most commonly compared to PagerDuty: Everbridge IT Alerting vs PagerDuty. Everbridge IT Alerting is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Everbridge IT Alerting Buyer's Guide

Download the Everbridge IT Alerting Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Everbridge IT Alerting?

Everbridge IT Alerting is a closed-loop cyber security and incident response automation solution that helps organizations respond to IT Incidents faster and improve teams’ response performance by automating communication, collaboration, and orchestration processes for ServiceOps, IT Security Ops, DevOps, and Disaster Recovery Ops. As a FedRamp-certified solution, IT Alerting capabilities include in-depth scheduling/calendars, interactive & analytical reporting, on-call scheduling, automated escalation, response workflow automation, recording, and much more. The solution is offered as a cloud service based on the secure, highly available, resilient, and globally scalable Everbridge CEM platform.

Learn why 5,400+ enterprise customers trust Everbridge (NASDAQ (EVBG)) with their IT Response Automation Management and IT Alerting solutions; visit ITAlerting.com to learn more or request a demo.

Need Integration with your ITOM, ITSM, SIEM tools?

Plug Everbridge IT Alerting directly into your ITOM, ITSM, SIEM, IT Monitoring tools including ServiceNow or BMC Remedy with our certified, two-way integrations and automatically contact the on-call IT team members, launch conference bridges and automatically escalate to the senior personnel in case of major IT incidents.

Everbridge IT Alerting Customers

Choice Hotels, Alexion, Navy Federal Credit Union, EastWest Bank, IBM, Core Logic, Paypal, Charter Communications, Lowes, Express Scripts, Finastra, Worldpay

Everbridge IT Alerting Video

Everbridge IT Alerting Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Everbridge IT Alerting pricing:
  • "Everbridge is not an inexpensive tool, but as the adage says, you get what you pay for."
  • "I do not know about the licensing costs, but I know they're in groups, and there are permission caps. For example, you can have five admin accounts, and anyone can receive a notification. There's a mobile component too, which I find particularly useful, but it has to be a part of the contract."
  • "Licensing cost is driven largely by the number of users in the platform including admins, group managers, and message senders, so you want to consider your needs there."
  • Everbridge IT Alerting Reviews

Manager of Incident Command at West Corporation
    Stable, responsive and helpful technical support, and the support calendars save us a lot of time
    • "The most valuable feature is the support calendars."
    • "I would like to have a little bit more flexibility in the member portal."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for engagement to critical outages, so we use the smart bridge functionality. All of our entire support staff is in Everbridge. Anybody and everybody that we need to get ahold of from a production perspective is in Everbridge, and we use it to engage them. This can be both singularly as an individual or as a group, and it has a calendar that escalates up the chain.

If a primary or secondary don't respond within a given amount of time, it'll go all the way up to, in our case, the VP, which is what's required by our organization.

We also use it to send out notifications to support staff, if they have a ticket in their queue that hasn't been assigned to somebody after given an allotment of time. I think it's about 30 minutes. So, if a ticket is sitting unassigned, it'll notify that team saying, "Hey, you've got a ticket out there", and they can actually respond to that particular text message saying, "yes, I accept".

At that point, Everbridge will then tell ServiceNow that this support person has accepted the ticket, and ServiceNow will then assign that ticket to that person. So, they don't even have to log into the system in order to do that.

We also are using it under certain conditions for critical alerts. If we've got a set of alerts set up such that if one of these is triggered, something imminent is going to happen, then it will engage both a SWAT team and my incident command team at the same time, stating that a bridge needs to be set up immediately for this particular issue. Everbridge does all that for us.

It also does incident subscriptions. For example, if you want to be alerted for a given platform, for a given priority, it'll send you a notification saying, "Hey, there's an issue in your platform". We send communications through it, which are self-serve from the business perspective, stating that, again, what type of platform or application that you want to be notified on. If there's an issue in that particular platform or app, you will get the notification, again, that something is going on and all of the details thereof.

It is also selected by priority, so if you want only to know about the priority one, twos, you can select just those. Or if you want to know about the non-majors, threes and fours, you can also opt into those.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support calendars.

In the past, in my previous company, we actually did a survey and we spent over 45 minutes trying to notify and engage personnel for any given major incident. Everbridge has managed to actually reduce that to under three minutes.

Even in my new company, our engagement time is sitting right around three minutes to engage personnel to a critical outage. This means that we don't have to spend time finding out who the on-call is, or find out what their contact information is. If they don't respond, we don't have to look up their manager or their director or their VP. Everbridge does that all behind the scenes and quickly.

We are just getting into smart orchestration, which I don't have much experience with yet but I am pretty sure that I will be learning a lot about it within the next year. To this point, it has saved us time compared to my previous experience with deployment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a little bit more flexibility in the member portal. For example, if you are set up with primary and secondary and those individuals just want to swap, where the secondary will take the primary position, and the primary we'll take the secondary, that's not possible through the member portal. Instead, a manager actually has to go into the calendar itself and do that flip. All other vacations or swaps can be handled from the member portal.

All other vacations or swaps can be handled from the member portal, as long as they aren't on the same day. If you want to swap with somebody next week then you can do it from the member portal, but if you're both working the same day then you can't do that flip.

I have been using Everbridge IT Alerting for more than three years. The company that I currently work for has only been using it for about a year.

Everbridge IT Alerting
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Everbridge IT Alerting. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

They're actually very good at fixing bugs or getting updates because they've made modifications to their calendar, to the escalations to be more flexible. So far they've checked off most of my request requirements on my list.

Considering how often we use it and the number of tickets we send through, it's very stable. The redundancy that they have is good.

We send a lot of tickets through it and I think that it scales well. In one year, we had 243,130 tickets processed by the system.

You can implement what pieces you need. We started out with the API, which is a very simple integration between ServiceNow and Everbridge. Then you have Smart Orchestration, which allows you to have more control on the Everbridge side than the ServiceNow side. This is what we wanted.

Initially, we started out with just engaging for support teams. Then, that has grown into sending instant subscriptions to technical managers and executives, and that expanded into sending communication notifications to the business. From there, it is expanding to opening up a secondary informational bridge that runs in parallel to your technical bridge, all through the same platform. So you've got your business users on one bridge allowing them to not interfere with the technical investigation being held on the technical bridge.

Our communication platform actually starts in one week. We've got it all built out and we activate it next week. But, we are constantly looking at integrating more. So, to spec what we want to do with it, we're at 100%. But, say next month we find another critical alert that we need to have an immediate response on, we'll integrate that into the system.

We're constantly looking for ways to better utilize the functionality of Everbridge into everything that we do.

The technical support is very good. Whenever I've got an issue, I talk to either support or my direct contacts. My Account team on the Everbridge side, along with the person that helped us install, I've got direct lines too and they are very responsive.

Their Command Center, their Service Desk, is also very responsive. You can actually do a ticket online and they usually respond to you within 24 hours that way. There's an 800 number that you can call for immediate assistance if it's something that needs to be done ASAP. They take down the information and do the initial investigation and usually have some sort of response to you.

In my typical case, it's usually by end of the day when I get a response. In some form, either that they're still investigating or that they've found something and are turning it over to level two or something like that. They do keep us informed.

They take every issue you have to heart and dive into it as far as they can. If you don't like the answer they've come back with, they will continue to dig into it, to our satisfaction.

In my previous company, that's one reason why it took us 45 minutes to engage personnel. It was all manual. At this company, I do not know what they had prior to Everbridge.

I was involved in the setup at my previous company and I felt that it was a straightforward process. The hardest part is actually getting the calendars out into Everbridge. If your support team has a standard rotation, no matter how complex that standard rotation is, it's very easy to build that out in Everbridge.

It's when you have groups that don't have any type of standard rotation. Getting them to move to that when they're used to working off a spreadsheet and they prefer working off a spreadsheet, can be a difficult transition because now they're going to a tool.

The API integration was a little tricky in ServiceNow, but I don't know if that was due to Everbridge or my ServiceNow. We did get it worked out and again when I say it was tricky, it took us an extra a couple of weeks because we found some nuances that we weren't expecting. It took us a while to track that down and get that switched.

Now, going to Smart Orchestration, which is what we are implementing right now, so far has gone much smoother than what the API integration was. Mainly I think because I and my partner have access to actually see what the Smart Orchestration is doing versus with ServiceNow, the admins did that. It was out of our control and we didn't know what was going on behind the scenes.

With respect to how long it took us to deploy, I want to say it probably took about three months. We thought it was going to take us about a month to two months through the API, but it took us three because we ran into a little snag.

In comparison, for this Smart Orchestration, we actually have fewer resources working on it and we've only been working at it for about a month and I'm told that we're just about done. It has taken a third of the time and fewer resources.

In terms of the deployment strategy, we had very similar work streams that we wanted to accomplish through this. We wanted to send engagements under certain conditions, and implement call-outs under certain conditions. In fact, under Smart Orchestration, we have even more work streams going than what we did through the API. I wouldn't say that it was more complex this time around, but it's larger. There are more ways of triggering events through Smart Orchestration than what we set up with the API.

We used an Everbridge consultant to assist us with the deployment, and it was very helpful. This person is very knowledgeable and we had the same one for both deployments. It may have made this deployment even faster because we know each other.

There are 16 of us that are active, using it on a daily bases. My team is eight and the communication team is, I think, six. There are four people who take an administrative role, including myself, my counterpart, and two of my teammates. The administrators can actually go into the tool and work.

From a group manager perspective, I've got just shy of 2,500 people as support team members in the system. I have 259 groups, each with a corresponding administrator to maintain schedules.

Well, considering I save 42 minutes per outage, coupled with customer satisfaction, I would say it is well worth the cost to me. It's always an intangible, but I think it far pays for itself many times over, each year.

Everbridge is not an inexpensive tool, but as the adage says, you get what you pay for. Everbridge stands behind its product and in my three years, I think it had issues once that affected my company, and that was only briefly. Considering how many tickets I run through, in my book that is definitely a five-nines type of scenario.

In the past when we initially signed up, SMS was free. However, due to the new legislation in certain countries and whatnot, they had to make some changes to that, so they've gone to a message credit. There is now a possibility that you could incur SMS costs, depending on how often and where you're sending things. Otherwise, their fees are pretty self-explanatory.

The service is subscription-based and you've got two different user licensing schemes. One-way and two-way. One-way is very inexpensive and I don't know the pricing. Two-way is a lot more expensive. Hypothetically, it might be $1 for a one-way license, but it's $12 for a two-way license.

One-way means that you're not in a calendar essentially, I think is the way they describe it. So, you are not being pooled into an outage bridge, which means that you're not in a rotation of some sort. A one-way also means that you're just getting a notification saying, "Oh, Hey, here's an issue that we're going to tell you about," but you aren't going to be pooled into something that says, "Oh, Hey, I want your assistance to resolve this." Whereas a two-way license says, "Okay, hey, here's the issue. I need you on this bridge and you need to be there in less than three minutes."

Before choosing Everbridge, I looked at others including xMatters, MIR3, and there's another one too and I can't remember the name of it. Ultimately, Everbridge is what we felt fit what we wanted better.

MIR3, which is now known as OnSolve, just wasn't evolved far enough. Their functionality just wasn't anywhere close to what we needed it to be. They did not have bridge functionality. xMatters, at the time, did not either. I'm sure that they probably do today but at the time, xMatters could not stand up a bridge. It would have to be an external issue and we wanted everything under one platform.

There's something different with the calendar functionality, too. But since it was three years ago, I honestly don't remember. In any case, the main parts were the bridge functionality that Everbridge had at the time was far superior to both xMatters and MIR3. The engagement between xMatters and Everbridge was pretty similar. They both were very robust as far as trying to get the people that you want to get.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Everbridge is to do your homework. Make sure you know what you want to implement and why. If you have a clear path forward, then the implementation is pretty straight forward.

Also, if you use Everbridge to help implement, listen to what they have to say. They know the tools inside and out and may have a better way of implementing it than what you might have thought.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Everbridge is that doing it manually is a waste of time and resources. It has given my team more the ability to focus on what it needs to, on resolving the issues. This has allowed us to cut our mean time to respond, leading to a reduction in our mean time to resolve. Basically, when you don't have to worry about your people and the escalation going on behind the scenes, it allows you to focus on what really matters in clearing out the outage.

In summary, this is a really good product but there is always room for improvement. In my opinion, they are really close.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Crisis Management Director at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Helps in identifying potential impact and allows us to see where our assets are in relation to a risk event
    • "I personally love VCC because I just think there needs to be more data to support it so we can be more proactive and easily assess the impact. So, I appreciate the visual aspect, but it has to have the data to support it. It has proved very useful, particularly because we have a GSOC that's not technically 24/7. We do have an 800 number that people call 24/7. If something happens, they can easily send Everbridge a notification to activate the team off hours. It is useful in that respect too. We use it in conjunction with teams, but off-hours and for additional people outside of the core team, we use Everbridge, which is useful."
    • "I've worked closely with Everbridge teams in my previous positions too, and the one thing I would like to see is the distance. You have to measure it, and it's not really accurate. If we could have a general distance within the alert itself to tell us where the closest asset is, it would be useful. That's one thing I'd like to see."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we use it for two different things. One is from an intel perspective where, within VCC, we have the assets plotted. So, if something does occur, we can see where our assets are in relation to where a risk event occurs. The other one is for business continuity. If there is a potential crisis, we send a notification using Everbridge, but we use it through another program called Fusion. So, we send an Everbridge notification activating the crisis response team.

We are currently using a customized version that doesn't have all the capabilities that Everbridge normally has, and we are now transitioning to software as a service. Currently, it isn't a cloud deployment, and that's the reason why we don't have some of the data supporting it. It doesn't have data sources and a whole bunch of other stuff that I know that we should be using. We use VCC, and then we use the regular platform to send notifications, but the data isn't as customizable. Things such as data sources and stuff behind it aren't there. It still has HR data incorporated into it but not the actual data sources. I can't see why these alerts are coming, other than little snippets that show that it comes from the news or whatever the general source is. I can't actually link to it or adjust the data sources. That's why I'm encouraging them to go to the updated version because of the additional capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

It's much easier to determine the impact, especially as we're developing a crisis management program. One of the things that the program was lacking and the reason why I was hired is that they need to develop it. They didn't have thresholds or criteria set. So, they were trying to respond to everything all of the time with no standards, structure, thresholds, or criteria set. Everbridge is one of those tools that you can use to identify potential impact.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I've worked closely with Everbridge teams in my previous positions too, and the one thing I would like to see is the distance. You have to measure it, and it's not really accurate. If we could have a general distance within the alert itself to tell us where the closest asset is, it would be useful. That's one thing I'd like to see.

I have been using this solution for five to six years.

It seems stable.

It is definitely scalable. It just gets expensive.

We have different teams, and I'm not really sure about the number of users. My guess would be around 30.

Their support is good. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We switched because there is more capability in one place. We were using Dataminr. Dataminr is weird because it has different functions, but they're trying to become a direct competitor in all capabilities. Dataminr is now morphing to mass notification and other capabilities. We still use Dataminr, and I have used it in previous positions too because it tends to be more timely, but there's a lot more noise. It didn't have the notification portion of it, but now they're getting that capability.

For mass notification, I've used OnSolve and Send Word Now. I can't remember all the ones I've used.

I wasn't here when they set it up. I would guess that it was probably complicated.

I do not know about the licensing costs, but I know they're in groups, and there are permission caps. For example, you can have five admin accounts, and anyone can receive a notification. There's a mobile component too, which I find particularly useful, but it has to be a part of the contract.

What other advice do I have?

Have money and also be very involved in the implementation because it's only as good as the data that you put behind it to support it. So, know your overall objective. Are you using it for mass notification? Are you using it for situational awareness and real-time monitoring? Know what you're looking for and then make sure that you implement it correctly to support what you're trying to get out of it.

I would rate it a nine out of ten because it's not as timely as some of the other data sources, but I know the reason why it is like that. You're not seeing everything all the time because they're trying to make it more useful and have context behind it.

Everbridge IT Alerting
    August 2022
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Systems Administrator for Enterprise Monitoring at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Interactive and helpful dashboard, robust API, good integration with ServiceNow, and descriptive reporting
    • "The post mortem reports are descriptive, indicating who joined the call and when."
    • "The incident templates can get complex and hard to troubleshoot, so it helps to focus on keeping it simple."

What is our primary use case?

We use Everbridge for IT on-call management of both P1 issues (through our integration into our ServiceNow platform) and on-demand P2 bridges. These are generated by our critical incident management team, which leverages our Skype (and soon Teams) environments.

When an incident occurs, the appropriate on-call calendars are hit and the critical incident team coordinates the issue as it is worked to a solution.

Each of the groups has one or two group managers who keep the calendar up to date and assist on-call personnel who have questions about how to interact with the platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Everbridge IT Alerting accelerated the time to engage with our IT support staff. Our incident management team benefited by pulling the right personnel at any given time to troubleshoot serious IT issues.

The interactive dashboard shows the state live, of who has joined and who is being contacted. The reporting that can be generated afterward also supports how teams responded to the system.

Everbridge IT Alerting also has a robust API which we have used for other monitoring systems to send to. The commands can be easily tested in Swagger.

What is most valuable?

The integration to ServiceNow via the store app synchronizes our assignment groups within ServiceNow to groups within Everbridge, saving time for group managers needing to add personnel to on-call calendars. The groups->calendars feature helps scope each group manager's efforts in managing on-call resources.

The incident templates have a lot of flexibility in managing the behavior of an incoming incident, including what devices to contact and the user experience in general.

What needs improvement?

Parts of the mobile app are a bit difficult to navigate (to see published calendars, for example) and there can be some confusion if you also license Everbridge Mass Notification at your company.

We have been using Everbridge IT Alerting for approximately four years.

We used xMatters and switched, as we had licensed Everbridge Mass Notification already and found that xMatters was complex to manage.

Everbridge did a good job on onboarding support, conducting multiple working and Q&A sessions which helped enable our success.

We evaluated xMatters as well.

What other advice do I have?

Everbridge IT Alerting appears to be a straightforward product at first glance. Be sure to have adequate training both for starting administrators as well as for group managers, message senders, and of course for on-call personnel (contacts).

Principal Architect at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Very robust, with multiple modules that can be leveraged
    • "A robust solution with multiple modules that can be leveraged."
    • "Lacks ability to customize messages."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary goal is to find an enterprise-wide notification solution so I'm looking at multiple solutions to find a product that could solve, say, 80% of our notification needs. We've just rolled out Everbridge. My involvement is more at the strategy level, determining whether the contract is good enough from a financial standpoint and those kinds of things. I'm the principal architect and we are customers of Everbridge.

What is most valuable?

I think it's a robust solution with multiple modules that can be leveraged. I am looking at rationalizing the application landscape as we have too many applications in our enterprise to be able to manage them effectively. I'm trying to consolidate. What they've done until now has been very good. They've been very responsive and very helpful in answering questions.

What needs improvement?

The customization of messages might be one area that they can improve on. For example, if I'd like to do a hyper-focused customized message within a campaign for each and every individual notification, that is something I don't believe they support right now.

I've been using this solution for about four months.

The solution is quite new for us so it's hard to comment on stability. We haven't had any problems till now.

As mentioned, we have around 40,000 users so the solution is easily scalable.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

This is not a cheap solution. Our current license is for around 40,000 employees and contractors. In the future we may evaluate expanding that to cover a larger customer base.

What other advice do I have?

This product has certain functionalities that make it a lucrative solution and platform. It's geared towards big companies. I'm not involved in implementation, my role is more at the strategy level.

I would rate the solution quite highly, an eight out of 10.

Download our free Everbridge IT Alerting Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022