IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

DX Spectrum OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

DX Spectrum is #1 ranked solution in top Network Management Applications, #2 ranked solution in top Network Troubleshooting tools, #9 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools, and #11 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give DX Spectrum an average rating of 8 out of 10. DX Spectrum is most commonly compared to SolarWinds NPM: DX Spectrum vs SolarWinds NPM. DX Spectrum is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
DX Spectrum Buyer's Guide

Download the DX Spectrum Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is DX Spectrum?

DX Spectrum is a complete event and fault management system for network operations teams. The tool provides powerful capabilities for managing your dynamic, complex IT infrastructure, which includes physical, virtual, and cloud environments.The technology allows you to manage and optimize the infrastructure and the professional services that operate on top of it. DX Spectrum is a unified platform that helps your company enhance network service levels while lowering monitoring costs.

DX Spectrum has intelligent event correlation and root-cause analysis capabilities. It can pinpoint the precise components that are causing issues with availability and network settings. Reports and dashboards can be customized with role-based views. Change management solutions can also be used by teams to govern, track, and remediate changes across network devices.

DX Spectrum can identify multi-technology and multi-vendor stacks, as well as new software-defined networks (SDNs). It supports Multicast, MPLS, VPN, and VRF, among other routing protocols and technologies.

DX Spectrum Features

DX Spectrum has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Service management: DX Spectrum assists personnel in discovering, modeling, visualizing, monitoring, and managing the links between infrastructure and the business services it supports.
  • Fault detection: DX Spectrum offers unique solutions that automate device discovery and root cause analysis, allowing for faster issue detection and resolution.
  • Change management capabilities: DX Spectrum gives administrators the visibility and control they need to prevent erroneous modifications from causing network performance problems and outages.
  • Comprehensive visibility: With DX Spectrum, managers can receive comprehensive insight across physical, virtualized, and cloud environments, as well as a variety of technologies, platforms, and suppliers.
  • Customization: DX Spectrum provides administrators, users, and customers with pre-packaged, easily configurable dashboards and reports that may be adjusted to their individual needs. For maximum performance and visibility, it is intimately connected with other solutions within the DX Service Assurance and DX Service Management systems.

DX Spectrum Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing DX Spectrum. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Reduce symptomatic alarms and hasten resolution with DX Spectrum’s root-cause analysis and robust event correlation. Automatically map the relationships between your network infrastructure to find the source of service issues for faster resolution. Whether it's a network configuration or availability issue, our network fault management system pinpoints the exact component responsible for the issue.
  • DX Spectrum supports network access from wireless wearables, mobile phones, tablets, and laptops. Provide network operators with the tools they need to manage their wireless networks, decrease outages, and make them as stable as their wired networks. For wired and wireless networks, DX Spectrum offers a unified view.
  • Fault and event management can be integrated across the Agile Ops, Network Operations, and Analytics portfolios. Fault, inventory, and topology knowledge are combined with performance, application, and log monitoring and a unified view across a full-stack NetOps solution. Additional connections include business service and service desk management.

Reviews from Real Users

DX Spectrum stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust root cause analysis and its event correlation tool. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Umair A., Enterprise Solutions & Services Head at Duroob Technologies, writes of the product, “It covers networks very well. It has all the capabilities that you're looking for when it comes to monitoring. Spectrum is great for root cause analysis. It has excellent correlation event management. Spectrum's stability and scalability are also amazing. If you have a CA Service Desk, then it can be integrated so that if you have open tickets they can be closed automatically.”

Itarchit, an IT Architect at a comms service provider, notes, “The most valuable feature is the event correlation mechanism. I also like the product's multi-customer approach.” He adds, “We haven't seen a better product. Overall, I am happy with this solution. Based on the current market, I would rate DX Spectrum a nine out of ten.”

DX Spectrum was previously known as CA Spectrum.

DX Spectrum Customers

National Informatics Centre India, Banese, Olympus, AlphaServe Technologies, Sicredi

DX Spectrum Video

DX Spectrum Pricing Advice

What users are saying about DX Spectrum pricing:
  • "The price is very high."
  • "Currently, a perpetual license but some services are moving to a subscription"
  • "The price is good enough to expect an ideal solution. It's expensive."
  • DX Spectrum Reviews

Senior Network Analyst at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
    Provides granular access control, highly scalable, and helpful for monitoring the entire network infrastructure
    • "The containerization of different objects was very helpful in building an org structure. Being able to separately manage your MSP clients with separate visibility was also helpful."
    • "Scalability is a highly rated feature of this solution. It is better than some of the other tools that I've used in terms of scalability. We scaled it to tens of thousands of devices."
    • "The granular access control that it provided so that you could only see devices that were related to what you were working on was great. I couldn't see the entire inventory of devices. I could only see the ones that were related to my work. It has got a very granular access control component."
    • "For my use case, incident coordination was an area of improvement. The internal software engine for coordinating outages could use improvement because sometimes, we used to get false alerts for unrelated devices. They did a really good job of trying to make sure that you got one major alert and any of the subsequent devices downstream were just additions to that, but occasionally, the engine wouldn't properly catch the right things, and we used to get a flood of alerts."
    • "Its visualization can be improved. It doesn't have a very advanced GUI. It is very basic and simple, but it does work."

What is our primary use case?

It was software-based deployment, and we were monitoring the internal network and client devices of an enterprise MSP. We were also using it for generating alerts for ticketing.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to monitor their entire network infrastructure and receive valuable alerting in a timely fashion so that we could react to any instances when there were down devices.

What is most valuable?

The containerization of different objects was very helpful in building an org structure. Being able to separately manage your MSP clients with separate visibility was also helpful. Scalability is a highly rated feature of this solution. It is better than some of the other tools that I've used in terms of scalability. We scaled it to tens of thousands of devices. The granular access control that it provided so that you could only see devices that were related to what you were working on was great. I couldn't see the entire inventory of devices. I could only see the ones that were related to my work. It has got a very granular access control component.

What needs improvement?

For my use case, incident coordination was an area of improvement. The internal software engine for coordinating outages could use improvement because sometimes, we used to get false alerts for unrelated devices. They did a really good job of trying to make sure that you got one major alert and any of the subsequent devices downstream were just additions to that, but occasionally, the engine wouldn't properly catch the right things, and we used to get a flood of alerts. Its visualization can be improved. It doesn't have a very advanced GUI. It is very basic and simple, but it does work.
    DX Spectrum
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about DX Spectrum. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I used this solution for two and a half years. I have used it within the last 12 months.

It was quite stable. We had very few outages during the time I used it.

From the scalability perspective, it was fantastic. We were able to monitor our entire infrastructure at the telco level. We were also able to monitor all of the network tools and devices within our client containers. It was a very scalable product. Overall, 3,000 to 4,000 users were using it, and we probably had tens of thousands of devices.

I did not use their technical support. We didn't get an opportunity to do that.

I was not involved in its deployment. It was done well prior to my being part of the team that was using it.  In terms of maintenance, it requires just the standard software updates and patching. It doesn't require anything out of the ordinary. You just have to deal with more of the ordinary patching cycles. I didn't actually have any experience updating the entire system itself. That was outside of my scope of work. Because we were deploying it at a telco level, we had several teams working on it. My role was adding and removing devices and updating devices for the customers I was supporting. We would add and remove devices in the client networks and the client containers based on the additions and removal of the hardware in the system.

We've been using this solution for probably the last eight to ten years through ongoing upgrades and updates. If there wasn't a return on investment by using the platform, our organization would have gone for a different solution. We're very cost-conscious, so we were able to get the value that we were looking for out of it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to be prepared to do some fine-tuning and scripting to support the product. With any tool of this nature, there are going to be some customizations to monitor certain devices. You should also make sure that you get your containers organized correctly. If you organize the containers correctly with different groups assigned, it will make your life a lot easier to be able to organize your data. Have a solid structure for that and a good plan. I would rate DX Spectrum an eight out of ten. It was a really solid platform. They did a really great job. The coordination of alerting was probably the biggest issue we had, just because of the scale of the network we were dealing with.
    Senior Solution Director, DevOps at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Network monitoring and configuration management tool with good scalability, stability, and a simple setup
    • "Scalable and stable network monitoring tool with a simple setup."
    • "Technical support for this product is not so good. It needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case for this tool is monitoring. We also use it for configuration management and reporting.

What needs improvement?

One of the requests I've received from customers several times, which should be included in the next release of this tool, is the ability to export some of the topologies of DX Spectrum inside Microsoft Visio.

I've been working with DX Spectrum for 15 years, and I've worked with it within the last 12 months.

DX Spectrum is a very good product. It's stable. We have not faced a lot of issues with it, so most of the time, customers are very happy with this tool. They're happy with its stability.

DX Spectrum is the most scalable in the market. We're able to manage a lot of devices. We've not seen any real limit as to the scalability of this solution.

Technical support for this product is not so good. It's also not as good as it used to be. My rating for technical support is five out of ten.

The initial setup for this solution was simple.

What other advice do I have?

I have already been working with DX Spectrum a lot. It's one of the tools I'm using the most, e.g. for my customers, as I'm both an implementer and reseller. It's not only me who's working with it, as some of my team members also deal with this solution.

This tool is now called DX NetOps Spectrum, and the latest release I've used is 21.2. We deploy it for our customers on-premises. We've never implemented it in SaaS.

DX Spectrum is a very good solution. It's the best network monitoring tool in the market.

How long the deployment for this solution takes will depend on the size of the customer, on the size of the environment. The minimum for a small customer would be five to ten days. For huge customers, deployment can take up to six months. Sometimes, when you are depending on use cases, we have to implement.

My advice to people who are planning to implement DX Spectrum is for them to spend some time in designing what they want from the solution, because it's very scalable. You have a lot of options inside the solution, so your take time building strong specifications, then ensure that everything's being implemented smoothly.

My rating for DX Spectrum is eight out of ten. The reason why I'm not putting a higher mark is because you can no longer sell it as a standalone product.

I'm also a reseller, and it's impossible now to sell this solution in its form. You need to sell it as part of the NetOps, or suite of net tools inside the Broadcom portfolio, which is something feasible for big customers, but not for customers in small to medium-sized businesses. They would be interested in DX Spectrum, but not in the full suite of the network monitoring tool.

DX Spectrum
    June 2022
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Techincal Support at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    A stable solution for backend application monitoring
    • "This product provides good visibility into applications at the backend."
    • "There should be a facility to integrate with other monitoring applications that are currently running in the environment."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and DX Spectrum is one of the products that we implement for our clients. In conjunction with DX Infrastructure Manager (CA UIM) and DX APM, this gives our customers visibility into what is happening end-to-end in their applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Some of our customers are large banks and government agencies, and they are getting value from using it.

What is most valuable?

This product provides good visibility into applications at the backend.

Some of our customers like the Service Desk aspect of it.

What needs improvement?

IP conflicts cannot be resolved automatically in the case where an IP address changes. This is one of the capabilities that SolarWinds has.

There should be a facility to integrate with other monitoring applications that are currently running in the environment. For example, if a customer is already running SolarWinds then it would be helpful if integration between these two was easy to do.

I have been working with DX Spectrum for about 10 years.

In terms of stability, it depends on the environment. Sometimes, the application does not function well because of the type of security and policies that are in place. Certain policies will block the application, making it unstable. We learned this after some of our customers complained and we investigated to determine why.

When we come across a situation like this we start working with their security department to address the issues, and then everything will start working well.

Overall, I think that it's a really stable product.

The support for this product is not encouraging. When our customers have issues, there is a delay in response from the support team. This causes some of our customers to doubt the solution.

One of our customers was using SolarWinds, but have since switched to DX Spectrum because they were issues with it. Once they implemented DX Spectrum, they were able to determine the root cause of their problem and solve it.

The installation is straightforward. The length of time required for deployment depends on the environment. For example, in a financial institution, it takes between one and two months because we need to do some information gathering and have confidence that we are meeting the requirements.

There are times when we are mid-deployment and the customer will stop us to say that they want something new. In cases like this, it slows down the implementation phase.

Our in-house team handles the deployment for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

One of the issues that we have is that our customers are not aware of the product's full capabilities and what it can do for them. We are running our own campaign to give our customers a better understanding of the benefit they can get from it.

In summary, I think that it's a fantastic and durable product. For me, it is nice and I am actively recommending it to my clients.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Network Operations & Delivery Head for TSB Bank at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good health checks help to identify infrastructure performance, good drill-down features, and easy to set up
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to put health checks in place not only for the infrastructure but for some of the services that are on top of the infrastructure."
    • "Integration with some other tools, and integration with some Network Packet Broker, need some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for Network Monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the availability to put health checks in place not only for the infrastructure but for some of the services that are on top of the infrastructure. This allows us to identify the performance of the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

We have been using DX Spectrum for approximately nine months.

This solution is stable. We have not experienced any outages.

It's a cloud solution, so it's scalable.

We have not contacted technical support yet.

We are also using Microsoft Network Node Manager.

The main difference is the availability to do the health-check on not only the devices but also some application services. These are in addition to the infrastructure, and with Network Node Manager, it's more based on infrastructure.

Also, the Drill down feature that DX Spectrum provides is something the Network Node Manager typically cannot do, as well as to drill down on a specific case or on a specific device.

That's also a really good feature of DX Spectrum.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

The price is very high.

It makes it very difficult with respect to the business because, with any other product, we have to look at a lower-cost licensing model. It would have to be much lower than this one.

It would make sense to have some kind of corporate license with some additional flexibility.

We evaluated SolarWinds and Azure.

What other advice do I have?

We are still looking at other solutions to increase the capacity of the devices that are being monitored with DX Spectrum.

We have a small set of devices being monitored and we are running a project to try to duplicate the monitoring on those devices.

DX Spectrum has been great for us. It's the strongest available, the main problem is the pricing, but it's in accordance with the features.

I can recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate DX Spectrum an eight out of ten.

Haytham Rahmy - PeerSpot reviewer
    CSI manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Fault management that alerts you just in time, with a user-friendly interface and good support
    • "The fault management is perfect."
    • "I think the management or configuration of devices needs some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Spectrum is mainly for fault management. For performance management, we have a NetOps performance manager.

What is most valuable?

The fault management is perfect. You have alerts just in time.

The interface is user friendly.

What needs improvement?

I think the management or configuration of devices needs some improvement.

The ability to add new device families from different vendors also not easy. It's a bit difficult.

I would like to see some historical performance of our devices added to Spectrum. That would be great.

It's a live solution, not for historical performance.

Reporting is also an area that could be better. The reporting tool they are using is called Jasper and it requires an official license to be able to work well. It would be helpful to have reporting included directly with Spectrum.

I have been using this solution for 12 years. I started with it when it was NetQS.

We are using the latest version of DX Spectrum.

It's very stable.

It's easy to scale.

You can have multiple Spectrum servers and you can add them at any time.

We have contacted technical support with both the online support to CA and with Broadcom.

We have not faced a lot of issues with DX Spectrum.

When we had one, we received very good technical support.

I was a vendor for CA before they were acquired by Broadcom.

The initial setup is very easy.

After 10 minutes, you have a complete Spectrum up and running and you can start discovery immediately.

The deployment is very fast and straightforward.

I was doing a comparison between Spectrum and different vendors like Celeron, HP, IBM, and for me and a big entity, like a national bank of Egypt, and it was the best. It ranks as number one.

What other advice do I have?

We have the DX Spectrum and DX NetOp for performance center management from Broadcom also. Actually, we have the full fledge from Broadcom and had it from Computer Associates before Broadcom started.

The distributed installation is on-premise, and we have one interface server and approximately six Spectrum servers.

I definitely recommend this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Umair (Abu Mohaymin) Akhlaque - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Solutions & Services Head at Duroob Technologies
    Good for monitoring, covers networks well
    • "Spectrum is great for root cause analysis. It has excellent correlation event management. Spectrum's stability and scalability are also amazing."
    • "It's not a great performance management tool. Its reporting capabilities are not very good at all."

What is our primary use case?

I have used Spectrum with four or five customers that are reasonably big. Some of them have an infrastructure that covers more than 30,000 desktops.

What is most valuable?

If you are looking for the right monitoring tool, Spectrum is one of the best solutions. It covers networks very well. It has all the capabilities that you're looking for when it comes to monitoring. Spectrum is great for root cause analysis. It has excellent correlation event management. Spectrum's stability and scalability are also amazing. If you have a CA Service Desk, then it can be integrated so that if you have open tickets they can be closed automatically. The configuration manager is great as well.

What needs improvement?

I've used DX Spectrum for over 17 years.

It's a very stable product.

The scalability is there and architecture-wise it's simple. The interconnectivity is amazing.

CA Broadcom support is very bad—one of the worst. They are trying to improve a little, but right now, they don't even respond to a ticket for at least a couple of days. A customer is spending $100,000-200,000 on a product, and it takes them three days just to respond asking for the version number. And after the acquisition of Broadcom, it's only gotten worse.

Setup is easy and pretty straightforward. If you have a simple architecture and everything is already together, it will only take a couple of hours. If you have an architecture that's more complex, then it takes only one day or two altogether.

In-house. The job generally requires at least two consultants for the implementation side. If it's a big customer you require at least two consultants to implement. For smaller and medium-sized customers, then one consultant is more than enough to implement this.

They are mostly on a perpetual license, but some of them are now moving to a subscription.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for better performance management, then you should supplement DX spectrum with another tool like CA Unified Infrastructure Management.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

IT Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Leaderboard
    Multi-customer approach, easy to scale, and reliable
    • "The most valuable feature is the event correlation mechanism."
    • "If the integration is simplified or improved, it will be a unique selling point in comparison to the competition on the market."

What is our primary use case?

We use DX Spectrum for monitoring secured networks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the event correlation mechanism.

I also like the product's multi-customer approach.

What needs improvement?

They need a seamless integration to launch cloud-based management products of Broadcom.

In the future, more cloud-based solutions will be offered. It is necessary to strengthen the integration with other cloud-based products.

They also have other products that are Operational Intelligence, which is currently stand-alone and usually requires tighter integration. It should be simplified as well, as it is rather complex to create, and doesn't match the ideal situation.

If the integration is simplified or improved, it will be a unique selling point in comparison to the competition on the market.

I have been working with DX Spectrum for 15 years.

Spectrum is quite stable.

DX Spectrum is very scalable.

Technical support is okay. A few years ago it was better, and I would have given them a ten out of ten, but now I would give them an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have extensive knowledge when it comes to using Spectrum. Some teams around me are using Zabbix.

The initial setup is quite complex. It takes a lot of knowledge, but it is well worth the effort.

We have our own consultants who are very knowledgeable key users.

The price is high enough to expect an ideal solution. It's expensive.

The price should be lower, it's not cheap, but we are willing to pay for it. For example, If you are asking for a Rolls Royce, you have to pay for a Rolls Royce.

I have been evaluating the differences between Spectrum and Zabbix, as well as the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

For us, within that technology area, it is the standard for solutions that we can select. We haven't seen a better product.

Overall, I am happy with this solution.

Based on the current market, I would rate DX Spectrum a nine out of ten.

Lead Tower Monitoring at libero
    Simple to configure but could have more integration and reporting
    • "It's a good tool. It's simple to do the configuration."
    • "I would suggest improving the web GUI to improve the device monitor configuration and to improve or to integrate the new tool for reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for monitoring the network device. We have to configure the alert management and integrate it with Zabbix.

What is most valuable?

It's a good tool. It's simple to do the configuration. It has good discovery and integration.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have a business layer and the possibility to integrate with information like the location and business structure. It's difficult to analyze and configure. It's not a very smart tool. It's a little old, and there are other tools that are more efficient.

From my point of view, the problem isn't the single tool itself because Spectrum and Zabbix are vertical tools for specific devices. So, Spectrum is vertical on a network. The problem is to have a correlation with the infrastructure layer, network layer, and business layer. In my experience, the client wants to see the business service.

The business service works fine, but when there is a problem on the business layer – for example, the web service or CRM process flow – it's difficult to correlate the business issues with infrastructure issues.

Now there are many APM monitoring tools. We have the artificial intelligence to correlate different alerts, aggregate alerts and give them to the client as a head-to-end picture. The problem with Spectrum is they still require effort to create the report to extract the configuration. This is a big limitation.

I would suggest improving the web GUI to improve the device monitor configuration and to improve or to integrate the new tool for reporting. For example, it can be helpful to integrate with a tool like Grafana or another dashboard to have a layer for the reporting.

I have used this solution for one year.

It's stable.

It's scalable, but in the future, the client will want to replace this tool with a different solution.

We have an internal process. When the network team asks to deliver a new network device, they have accounts and administrator privileges to take charge of all the specs for the new network device. We have to manage and check the tool. We have to configure the new alert and the new integration with Zabbix. The discovery is generally managed directly from the network team.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

Download our free DX Spectrum Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022