IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

DocuShare OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Enterprise Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is DocuShare?
Xerox DocuShare's Content Management System gives you the easiest method to manage all of your paper and digital documents
DocuShare Customers
Lincoln Public Schools, West Orange School District, Tulane University, Niagara Catholic School District, Arig, Co-operative Financial Services, Mizuho Capital Markets Corporation, Volksbank Romania and Iron Mountain, Hammersmith Hospital, Holman Insurance Brokers Ltd., Kaiser Permanente, Convergys Inc., Honeywell, Universal Pictures, McGraw Hill Construction Information Group
DocuShare Video

Archived DocuShare Reviews (more than two years old)

User at a tech services company
Managers can be part of the approval process for an important workflow that involves payments. Integration with third-party applications needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Features such as the search engine, workflows and customization are valuable to us.

How has it helped my organization?

Managers can be part of the approval process for an important workflow that involves payments to customer and providers depending on the amount of money. They can either approve or reject the payment online after they have a notification via email that there is a new task they need to review.

What needs improvement?

Reports and integration with third-party applications can be improved. Customers usually ask for a specific report that allows them to make some statistics analysis that sometimes they need but DocuShare is not intended to do that. So, it is not available at this time and they have not been able to get these kind of reports such as reports by documents added in a specific collection by a user (automatic report), reports for content being searched, downloaded, viewed etc… Integrations with applications that uses databases are not able to do so because DocuShare does not use dynamical values in their fields of indexing.

I have been using it for about 10 years. We have been using this product from version 4.
Enterprise Content Management
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Xerox, Microsoft, Hyland and others in Enterprise Content Management. Updated: June 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In a virtual environment, if you use vMotion or NIC Teaming (or any other similar features) the host ID changes and invalidates the license for the site.

I have not yet encountered any scalability issues, i.e., if you follow the process step by step.

I would give the technical support a 9/10 rating.

Initially, we were using a different solution. The company stop selling the other application and so we continued with the sale of DocuShare.

The inital setup was fast and easy.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to define the goals you want to achieve with the product. Also, make sure to agree with the customer before installing and configuring the product. Most customers always expect more than they’ve bought.
it_user589353 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead For Document Management System at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The Windows client is user-friendly. File and folder security policies can work directly with capture systems such as Kofax Capture

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for DocuShare is that it has a very user-friendly Windows client. You can easily deploy the client and map the DocuShare site to a drive. Saving on that drive automatically uploads your document to the DocuShare site.

Documents are easily exported and versioning can be done out of the box. The product is superb if you are just looking for a user-friendly Document Management System (DMS). File and folder security policies are easily implemented and can work directly with capture systems such as Kofax Capture or Kofax Express.

Workflows are easily deployed.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of our customers experienced a stellar improvement in productivity, as documents are now centralized and user access levels are deployed to prevent users from opening and downloading confidential information.

Email attachments sent to co-employees are greatly reduced and they no longer clog the email server. Documents are now easily shared on DocuShare.

What needs improvement?

I think the area where we can improve DocuShare is for them to be more open on customizations. Customizing the look and feel is still quite difficult.

Another key area is license management, as DocuShare is very sensitive when it comes to licenses. A clustered virtual server almost always suffers the fate of being unlicensed after it is transferred from one host to another, as the Machine ID is changed.

Another downside is that there are only a few articles and tutorials found on the web. Here in the Southeast Asia region, Xerox is not really active in evangelizing for DocuShare.

The company I work for has been deploying it since the early days of DocuShare. I myself have been using the product for almost three years already.

We have not had any stability issues so far.

It is very scalable. Just upgrade the license to suite your needs.

Technical Support is nonexistent if your licenses have gone beyond the one-year support program. Here in the Southeast Asia region, technical guys are quite scarce.

Previously, we used SharePoint, but we switched to DocuShare for easier management and a better GUI. The company I work with offers both SharePoint and DocuShare solutions to clients.

Disclaimer: I am a Sharepoint specialist too.

Initial setup was pretty much straightforward. You may drag and drop the documents directly to their respective collections.

If the client just needs a DMS-only solution, then DocuShare is one of the best solutions. Licensing is on a per-user basis according to the features needed.

We looked at Alfresco, SharePoint, and Documentum.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. The best thing about DocuShare is that it offers a 30-day trial license to anyone who wishes to test things out.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company I work for is a reseller of Xerox DocuShare. We are offering DocuShare in tandem with our Kofax solutions.
Enterprise Content Management
June 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user589491 - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The command line utilities allow bulk manipulation of documents.

What is most valuable?

The full-text indexing and search of PDF documents. The command line utilities allow bulk manipulation of documents; that is, if any reorganization is needed.

For one implementation, the full-text indexing of PDF documents and associated search were the most valuable features. It allowed the department to search with sufficient accuracy that there was no need to add metadata during the upload/content intake process. This greatly reduced the document preparation and scanning time.

DocuShare has a set of command line utilities that allow you to manipulate documents in batches. For example, it allows you to move all documents with a keyword in the title to a new folder. Due to these command line tools, the project didn't require API licensing nor did it require any additional support from the Xerox professional service; thus, it saved time and money.

How has it helped my organization?

For the project described above it eliminated 300 banker boxes of documents, i.e., about 1.5 million pages.

Five years.

Above industry average.

Above industry average. The responses were prompt and very polite.

A online cloud service from another supplier. The cost benefit ratio no longer warranted the cloud service subscription and scanning service. I should mention this was five years ago. SaaS providers have evolved and this project is currently under review as a candidate for the Xerox DocuShare Private Cloud Service.

The initial setup was moderate. If your in house IT staff will implement it I recommend the Xerox DocuShare training program. However, if using content intake or advanced features, it may be worth hiring the Xerox professional services for the initial implementation.

Xerox professional service integrated with IT staff to divide work loads, it was a team effort. I have been on the selection and implementation teams of many many enterprise systems that hired professional services from vendors. I can say Xerox is very concerned that feel you receive a good value from your investment in their professional services.

Initial estimates were two years. However, once the first project was complete other business units wanted to on-board so the ROI was less then a year.

Pricing is reasonable and flexible. The annual maintenance is a bit above the average for enterprise business software.

We evaluated IBM products.

What other advice do I have?

With any document management system; you have to determine how documents should be organized and not how they are currently organized. After creating a backlog and project plan, take a week off, then regroup with sponsors and your team to take a fresh perspective. Think about how metadata will be used long-termand canvas information sharing needs between departments or business units. A agile method can work on new projects but for migrations from existing systems incorporating a waterfall approach for data with a long life span may help reduce risk of bulk reorganization of documents down the road.