IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Dell PowerEdge FX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell PowerEdge FX is #11 ranked solution in top Rack Servers. PeerSpot users give Dell PowerEdge FX an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Dell PowerEdge FX is most commonly compared to HPE Apollo: Dell PowerEdge FX vs HPE Apollo. Dell PowerEdge FX is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Dell PowerEdge FX?

The PowerEdge FX converged architecture gives enterprises the flexibility to tailor their IT infrastructure to specific workloads, and the ability to scale and adapt that infrastructure as needs change over time. PowerEdge FX helps deliver the agility, flexibility and secure foundation that businesses need to simplify operations and increase business results.

Dell PowerEdge FX was previously known as PowerEdge FX.

Dell PowerEdge FX Customers
Tracewell, Govers, AXA ASSISTANCE ITALIA
Dell PowerEdge FX Video

Dell PowerEdge FX Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell PowerEdge FX pricing:
"The price of the license is expensive."

Dell PowerEdge FX Reviews

Joseph James - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems & Support Engineer at CWG Plc
Reseller
It can stack up eight blade servers in one 2U chassis.
  • "The best feature is PowerEdge's ability to stack up eight blade servers in one 2U chassis."
  • "The positioning of the power supply is not ideal. Both of them are on the same side, so you need to untie the cabling when you're installing the server. Another thing is storage separation. The storage can only be used by a particular server blade. I want the ability to use a storage unit for more than one server."

What is our primary use case?

We use PowerEdge for server consolidation and virtualization on a VMware server.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is PowerEdge's ability to stack up eight blade servers in one 2U chassis.

What needs improvement?

The positioning of the power supply is not ideal. Both of them are on the same side, so you need to untie the cabling when you're installing the server. Another thing is storage separation. The storage can only be used by a particular server blade. I want the ability to use a storage unit for more than one server.

I've been using PowerEdge FX for three years.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Lenovo and others in Rack Servers. Updated: July 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Yeah, it is a stable product. Yes.

Yes, yes. It's scalable. Scalable, yes, in terms of if you want to increase the number of servers, then of course you can. If you want to build a chain such as this, then you can. If you want to increase memory, storage, you can. It's very-

What differentiates PowerEdge from competing racks I've used is its compactness. It can house up to eight servers in a 2U space. It can combine all the storage protocols in one IO module or switch, so it can combine all fiber channels. This can also do ethernet. I like the ability to internally combine network adapters.

I rate PowerEdge eight out of 10 for ease of setup. The complexity of the setup depends on the experience of the person installing it. I think deploying the networking component is a little complex. If you have an FX2, you have FN I/O modules. That's combined storage traffic and ethernet traffic to the switches. It gets complicated if your department doesn't know how to set it up.

PowerEdge costs between $50,000 to $65,000 per unit. It depends on the number of server blades you have in there. That's total const including CPU, memory, storage, etc. Maintenance cost is around 8 percent of the total value.

I think the clients are backing out because of the price. There are cheaper competing solutions.  Also, they don't understand the use case. They don't know the use case of the products. There isn't enough effort by Dell to raise awareness about the product in the region.

What other advice do I have?

I'll say eight.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator Reseller
Hussein  Harb - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at mindit
Powerful and has a heavy load
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are that it has very robust servers and a very heavy load. We've been working on servers now for 10 years and those servers are still up and running. Those servers are still very powerful until today."
  • "In terms of the cost, it is a little bit high, meaning, there is some difference in the cost compared to the equivalent product with HP servers."

What is our primary use case?

It depends on the client's requests, but mostly we work with the rack servers.

PowerEdge FX has lot of applications; we use it for businesses like data analytics, application businesses, and more. It depends on the different services.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are that it has very robust servers and a very heavy load. We've been working on servers now for 10 years and those servers are still up and running. Those servers are still very powerful until today.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, we always find this kind of a problem when comparing the cost that's provided by Dell to that of HP. Dell's main competitor is HP servers. I don't know about the IBM's, but most of our requests are coming from Dell compared to HP. In terms of the cost, it is a little bit high, meaning, there is some difference in the cost compared to the equivalent product with HP servers.

I have been using Dell EMC PowerEdge FX for eight years.

I have servers running 8 years now, that is very stable.

Most of the people don't go for the scalability of the server. They don't add on specific things. They add new servers. Today, the cost of the servers is not that heavy, like before. So people add one note and two notes when they require some use cases.

My experience with Dell customer service is that mainly they are very, very supportive.

The initial setup is very, very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a gold partner, so I am satisfied with Dell EMC PowerEdge FX.

Based on the feedback from the clients that we are working with, on a scale of one to ten, I would rate Dell EMC PowerEdge FX a nine.

I'm an old guy with Dell. I always prefer this brand over others.

I would for sure recommend Dell EMC PowerEdge FX.

July 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Husam Kabaha - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at Mechkar
Easy to install, stable, and scales well for our organization

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for Hyper-V workloads, a web server, and a virtual desktop environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability.

What needs improvement?

I think that Dell has full documentation on their products, but it needs to be improved for this one.

I have been working with the Dell EMC PowerEdge FX series for three years.

Stability is one of the best features of this solution.

This is a scalable product. We have about 5,000 users.

We are satisfied with technical support.

Prior to using the PowerEdge FX, we used a product by HPE.

The initial setup is easy and it takes a few days to complete.

We deployed this product with our in-house team. We have about 100 technical staff who deploy and maintain our products. They are administrators, managers, and engineers.

The price of the license is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it.

Private Cloud
CS Core planning manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Its architecture is high performing
  • "We like PowerEdge for its high-performance computing architecture."
  • "Before the cloud solution and virtualization, we relied on Dell hardware from specific vendors. The lifecycle for cloud infrastructure is shorter than it used to be. We need a longer lifecycle from the IT supplier providing the computing solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use PowerEdge for the hosting and implementation of our cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

We like PowerEdge for its high-performance computing architecture.

What needs improvement?

Before the cloud solution and virtualization, we relied on Dell hardware from specific vendors. The lifecycle for cloud infrastructure is shorter than it used to be. We need a longer lifecycle from the IT supplier providing the computing solution.

I've been using PowerEdge FX since 2017.

PowerEdge has been part of our core package since 2017. It's stable. We haven't faced any issues with the computing set.

PowerEdge FX is scalable.

Our system integrator provides the first level of support on top of our agreement with the vendor itself, so I can say we haven't had any issues with the support yet.

Setting up PowerEdge FX was easy to handle. We have had the help of a system integrator.

There's no license for the PowerEdge hardware.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PowerEdge FX nine out of 10. It's a stable and scalable solution our customers can rely on for their applications, especially physical applications.

CTO at bmmsoft
Extremely high performance and easy to manage, but needs simplicity, more NVMe support, and more network cards for high performance and speed
  • "It has extremely high performance, and it is easy to manage."
  • "It should have more simplified management. It is a common problem where vendors think that they have simplified a solution, but the users don't look at it in the same way. A vendor thinks that there are only ten steps for a task, but we consider them as many steps. It should also have more support for NVMe. For high performance and speed, there should also be more network cards for the fiber channel and ethernet."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our database for data warehouse analytics.

What is most valuable?

It has extremely high performance, and it is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

It should have more simplified management. It is a common problem where vendors think that they have simplified a solution, but the users don't look at it in the same way. A vendor thinks that there are only ten steps for a task, but we consider them as many steps.

It should also have more support for NVMe. For high performance and speed, there should also be more network cards for the fiber channel and ethernet.

I have been using this solution for probably four years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell EMC PowerEdge FX a seven out of ten.

Download our free Rack Servers Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Lenovo, and more!
Updated: July 2022