Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

DataCore Virtual SAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Software Defined Storage (SDS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is DataCore Virtual SAN?
DataCore Virtual SAN introduces the next evolution in Software-defined Storage (SDS) by creating high-performance and highly-available shared storage pools using the disks and flash storage in your servers. It addresses the requirements for fast and reliable access to storage across a cluster of servers at remote sites as well as in high-performance applications.
DataCore Virtual SAN Customers
Volkswagen , Maimonides Medical Center, The Biodesign Institute, ISCO Industries, Pee Dee Electric Cooperative, United Financial Credit Union, Derby Supply Chain Solutions, Mission Community Hospital, Bellarmine College Preparatory, Colby-Sawyer College, Mount Sinai Health System, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Quorn Foods, Bitburger, University of Birmingham, Stadtverwaltung Heidelberg, NetEnt to name a few.
DataCore Virtual SAN Video

Archived DataCore Virtual SAN Reviews (more than two years old)

Jefe de Infraestructura Tecnológica at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mirroring provides a high-level of service and optimizes the use of obsolete storage.
  • "Mirroring is the most valuable feature because I can provide a high-level of service and optimize the use of obsolete storage."
  • "When I sometimes reboot for maintenance, the connectivity from the iSCSI initiator host could be improved."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

I have a system that uses approximately 6TB as a file server and I use the thin provisioning to optimize the storage.

What needs improvement?

I think that SAN Symphony Data Core should improve the connectivity of iSCSI initiators on hosts, because sometimes when I do a maintenance any data core server, I lose connection and I need to reboot the server.

I have used this solution for three years.

Software Defined Storage (SDS)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about DataCore, Nutanix, StarWind and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

I did not use another solution, this it is first one.

The setup was very simple, except the iSCSI network driver on Windows.

In my case, the licensing per terabytes is very high and it must be licensed for each extra functionality.

We evaluated VMware vSAN.

What other advice do I have?

There are many products that fit the needs of the company, however, the support, warranty, scalability, and price are decisive factors when deciding.

I always prefer to do a PoC (demo).

davidstrom - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at David Strom Inc.
Compact, hyper-converged package for transactional databases.

DataCore’s comprehensive storage services stack has long been known for harnessing ultra-fast processors and RAM caches in x86 servers, for superior performance and enterprise-class availability. It now comes in a compact, hyper-converged package that is ideal for transactional databases and mixed workloads. DataCore Virtual SAN software is available for a free 30-day trial. It runs on any hypervisor and your choice of standard servers.

We tested DataCore Virtual SAN in May 2015.

Pricing: DataCore-authorized solution providers offer software packages starting under $10,000 for a two-node, high-availability cluster, including annual 24×7 support.
Requirements: Windows Server 2012 R2

For information on DataCore’s SANsymphony-V Software-defined Storage Platform, check out our other video here.