IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers is #1 ranked solution in top Density Optimized Servers and #5 ranked solution in top Rack Servers. PeerSpot users give Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers is most commonly compared to Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers: Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers vs Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers. Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers?

UCS C-Series Rack Servers deliver unified computing in an industry-standard form factor to reduce TCO and increase agility. Each server addresses varying workload challenges through a balance of processing, memory, I/O, and internal storage resources.

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers was previously known as Unified Computing System C-Series, Cisco UCS C-Series.

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers Customers

Advanced Medical Transport, Aegean Motorway, Anilana Hotels and Resorts, Artoni Transporti, BH Telecom, Bowling Green State University, City of Mississauga, Dualtec Cloud Builders, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Grupo Industrial Saltillo (GIS), Kind en Gezin, Kuwait Petroleum Italia, Nationwide, Quest, Talbots, University of St. Gallen

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers Video

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers pricing:
  • "The server itself isn't costly at all, but the CPU and the RAM can be pretty expensive. You can buy a UCS for $2,000, but the RAM and CPU can cost up to $80,000. The most expensive asset is the intel processor, but it depends on how many cores you want and the technology you want to use on your CPU, like Hyper-V, etc."
  • "Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis, which is only $2,000 or $3,000."
  • "This product is slightly more expensive when compared to others."
  • "The price of the solution could be better when compared to other solutions. However, when we purchased the solution we received Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers in a bundle with other hardware, such as IP phones and networking switches."
  • "The price of the Cisco UCS C-Series Rack could improve. It's a little more expensive in comparison with Dell or HPE solutions."
  • Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers Reviews

Freelance Consultant at Freelancer
    Offers dynamic hardware and saves a lot of space, power, and management
    • "In terms of the features that I have found most valuable, that is basically the hardware, which is more dynamic."
    • "I think the pricing is high. Cisco has to look for bundling this solutions with other applications."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers' primary use case is for hosting virtual machines. It could be a white solution. It could be service, and it could be their applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The first advantage of Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers is that you don't need to buy physical hardware like I used to have to do for each application. It is just software or operating systems. Now you have to buy one physical server which will host multiple virtual machines. It saves a lot on space, power, and management. If you're installing a VMware ESXi server on the UCS servers, the central servers are not there. So if you're using a V-Center ESXi server with multiple servers, you can manage the VMs plus you can have stand by storage in case one of them goes down.

It depends on your mission. We've started working on the other UC servers so there is no hardware dependency. If something goes, you can retrieve it from other servers so downtimes are minimized and the failure gets fixed fast, within minutes. Then you have a backup option. You can take a backup virtual machine. In case you install some patches or something that causes a server to go down, you can install it from the backups.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the features that I have found most valuable, that is the hardware, which is more dynamic. Cisco has the channels for the people to buy it. It has the red configurations, you can have more RAM and their CPUs have more code, depending on what kind of server you have, because there are three or four variations. So those options are available. Most of the customers we deal with have a smaller setting, like a voice solution. So they want the Cisco Call Manager. They go for the C 220 version, where they can employ two or three servers and two or three virtual machines, not the physical server. And they can get their voice setup working. If the customer is looking for more servers and more options, they go for more hardware, and a higher version of that server, such as 220, 240, and the like.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, they could add their SSD drives instead of the normal, disc drives. That's the one thing.

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have worked on both UC C-Series and E-Series servers. I used  E-Series servers when I was employed in Cisco. I worked on UC Series servers while I was managing the data center NetOne, which is located in Zambia, Africa.

In total I have worked on Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers for four years.

In terms of stability, I think it's mostly stable. The only thing I found as I started this phase is that you just need to wait for the replacement from Cisco, if you have the support for that server. Apart from that, I don't see any problems with the hardware on the E-Series and C-Series. Most of the cases with hardware or some software issues, the customer doesn't have the Smart Net account to get it fixed. That's why it gets delayed.

I remember one issue with the UC C-Series which I was troubleshooting last year when the software upgrade on one module in the E-Series for the phone had some problem. It was looping and kept on booting and the customer didn't have any support. It was difficult to resolve that issue.

Otherwise, I don't find many problems. I don't think we need many people managing it. There are no day-to-day issues with the physical hardware. The physical hardware barely has any problems throughout the year. Maybe once or twice. You may need to update the firmware for any bugs or any segregation of phones. Apart from that, I don't find any issues. Even if the power goes off it doesn't create any errors or any issues.

The E-Series' scalability is limited. In E-Series, it can be scaled up by adding additional blades, or you can buy another UC server. But with the C-Series, apart from available hardware space, you don't have many options to scale it.

I think the C-Series is 64GB or 120GB RAM and maybe two or three terabytes for processors. That's what I remember right now. The one server can support that. If you have more, you have capacity issues, and then you have to buy another server.

Yes, I have used Smart Net. But I have rarely reported an issue with them.

I think nowadays Cisco tech support is not that good.

Sometimes you receive different solutions from different people. If they are not on the same page, if you're working with one tech engineer and they have gone off shift and you get another tech engineer, he may give you different answers or different solutions than what the previous engineer was talking about. But this is not specific to the UCS, but a general issue with Cisco retail work and open stack cases. I found them inconsistent.

The first time you're doing the setup it is a little complex. But the second time is much easier. So I don't find any issues.

In terms of the physical server, it doesn't need much because it comes packed with everything, including RAM and processors. In some cases it may come separately so you have to open the server and put the processor, Ram and hard disk into the server. That's the only thing. After this is done, you have to install the hypervisor. Then there is the application, the virtual machines and things that they take over.

One server should not take more than one or two hours if your rack has big enough space and you have the railings. It should not take much time for mounting and powering on.

I think the pricing is high. Cisco has to look for bundling this solutions with other applications. They could sell basic options of the UC server along with other Cisco products and software. That would work. But as a standalone product, the customer looks at the price and it means they may not buy it when they see other products with the same construction at a lower price.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have any problems with the Cisco UC series. It serves its purpose.

I think their products are good. The only thing Cisco needs to work on is the cost part.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers an eight.

Ehsan Emad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Data Scientist & Analytics at a integrator with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    The VIC card is the most important feature.
    • "The VIC card is the most important feature."
    • "The C-Series is not designed to be as scalable. They are designed to have enough RAM and enough CPU on their own side. If you want scalability, it's better to choose the B-Series— the Blade Servers — because those are much more scalable with Fabric Interconnect."

What is our primary use case?

Most customers use the C-Series server to install VMware solutions. It's deployed in a data center to handle the computing. Some customers use bare metal. Others are virtual. I am certified in VMware, so I've done a lot of VMware solutions, like integration between physical and virtual networks.

What is most valuable?

The VIC card is the most important feature.

I started using C-Series Rack Servers in 2013. It was the M3 edition when I started. Today, it's M6.

The C-Series is a hundred percent stable because it uses an Intel processor with Samsung or Hynix RAM. Computing depends on RAM, CPU, and hard disk. The latest release has an AMD option, but I've never worked with it.

The C-Series is not designed to be as scalable. They are designed to have enough RAM and enough CPU on their own side. If you want scalability, it's better to choose the B-Series— the Blade Servers — because those are much more scalable with Fabric Interconnect.

Most of the time, the C-Series is a standalone server. However, if you're talking about scalability in terms of RAM and CPU, they are excellent because you can install three terabytes of RAM. which is more than enough.

I've never contacted Cisco support because I can solve issues on my own most of the time, but my colleagues say that Cisco support is one hundred percent reliable.

Obviously, when you have unusual issues, it's not fair to assume that the first line of support can solve your problem. They definitely need to escalate. It's not reasonable to expect that the first person you reach at Cisco can answer all of your questions, but when you are dealing with Cisco, you should be confident that they can help you.

Deploying a C-Series rack is straightforward. It comes in two flavors. You can deploy it the standard way or do it over Fabric Interconnect, which can handle the B-Series and C-Series together if you have the license. Cisco's CIMC is much easier to deal with than the HPE's iLO. One engineer is more than enough to deploy and maintain the solution.

The server itself isn't costly at all, but the CPU and the RAM can be pretty expensive. You can buy a UCS for $2,000, but the RAM and CPU can cost up to $80,000. The most expensive asset is the intel processor, but it depends on how many cores you want and the technology you want to use on your CPU, like Hyper-V, etc.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco USC C-Series Rack Servers 10 out 10. If you plan to buy a C-Series, you should be clear about why you want to use it because the uses vary. different. Whether you're using Cisco, HPE, Dell or any other brand, it's essential to define your use case. For example, are you using it for a simulation graphics, calculations, etc.?

Depending on the use case, you might want to go with a small server with more CPU. Sometimes you need a light CPU with a powerful GPU. For example, if we have a C-Series with four CPUs at the same time, or we have a server that's handled two CPUs at the same time—the purpose is crucial.

C-Series is good enough compared to other competitors like HPE and the other ones. The HPE C20 is one unit and has a lot of RAM support, but the C-series is number one, in my opinion.

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers
    August 2022
    620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Pure Storage at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good performance, manageability, interface, and reasonably priced
    • "In most cases, computes compute, and there isn't much differentiation, but one point of differentiation is Intersight cloud management."
    • "The only thing I would change is to provide more proactive support."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers for general-purpose VMware. It's just tier-one applications. VMware ESXi, databases SQL, Oracle, and SAP, are the main use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

The performance has been good, but the biggest benefit has been the time saved. With Intersight management, I believe we can save half a headcount while still managing and configuring the servers.

What is most valuable?

Performance is good, as well as manageability.

The interface is good.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I would change is to provide more proactive support. I would like to try to shift away from reactive support and toward a more proactive support model. The alerting and the system beginning to alert us when it is outside of normal parameters is adequate, but I believe it can do more in terms of support.

I'm not sure if they do this at the moment, but I would like to see support for NVMe over Fabrics. NVMe over Fabric is used so that the entire solution can communicate NVMe over Fabric between the servers and the storage. It's doing exactly what we need right now, and the performance is excellent. But in two years, we'll be looking for the next thing.

I have been using Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers for two years.

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers is a very stable platform.

It is scalable, but only by adding more servers. We knew that when we bought it and when we sold it to the customer.

It can service approximately 500 users.

It is being used by a real estate agency, one of the largest in New Zealand. It is used throughout the business, by salespeople, which is where their primary real estate listings are placed. Everyone uses the system, from senior management to sales to HR. This is how they get their applications.

I'm currently using FlashStack. Flex fathers Cisco and NetApp, and FlashStack is Pure Storage and Cisco. Cisco is the vendor, and the server infrastructure is UCS Servers.

We have our engineers that install it.

We pre-stage some of the equipment before sending it to the site. it can take a day to install four or five servers. It's quite quick.

The infrastructure team consists of two people. It only took one person to deploy.

We sold the solution, and the customer was very pleased with it. We performed a total cost of ownership analysis, and the results were mixed, but it meets their return on investment.

Only Intersight licensing is required.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis, which is only $2,000 or $3,000. It's not too expensive. The Intersight licensing adds value, which the customer takes advantage of.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers a nine out of ten. It did what it said it would do. It was simple to install and has given us no problems.

IT Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    User-friendly, reasonably priced for enterprise, and offers great stability
    • "The product doesn't take up too much space on the rack and I like that."
    • "Technical support could be more responsive."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for storage. When I came into the company, I found it already in use. The company contacted the provider to renew its infrastructure. The providers offered this solution, and the company approved it. When I arrived, they were already using that.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to operate the solution. It's quite user-friendly.

The product doesn't take up too much space on the rack and I like that.

The scalability is very good.

The solution is quite stable.

The pricing is reasonable if you are an enterprise organization.

What needs improvement?

Something about the storage is somewhat lacking. They should work to improve and expand it. I almost prefer EMC's setup more.

Technical support could be more responsive.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It's been a while.

The product's performance is good. The stability is there. We haven't dealt with it crashing or freezing. We haven't had bugs or glitches.

The solution is capable of scaling.

I've found that it is hard to get a hold of technical support. I'd like them to be more helpful and responsive. I'm not completely satisfied with the level of service we receive.

We currently also use EMC storage.

I can't speak to the implementation process as the product was already installed prior to my arrival at the company. I didn't participate in the process and therefore cannot comment on how easy or difficult it might have been. I can't speak to how long it takes to deploy either.

The pricing is fair. It is an enterprise solution, however. The price might be a bit less if the organization is a bit smaller.

I used Dell servers in past and comparing them with UCS, I would definitely recommend UCS over Dell.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

I'd recommend the solution. We've been quite happy with its capabilities so far.

I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a nine. It's been pretty seamless in terms of usage. I have no real complaints.

DurgaPrasad Malyala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Datasoft Comnet
    Easy to set up and the support is good
    • "The initial setup is straightforward and easy to do."
    • "The warranty and support periods should be extended."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

They are for general, mixed usage that includes use cases such as virtualization and hosting VMware.

What needs improvement?

The warranty and support periods should be extended. One of the things that we like about Dell and HPE is the longer duration of support.

What we would really like to see is more years of extended support. If somebody wants to extend it to five years or seven years, this should be possible because some of our customers really want it.

We have been working with this product for between five and six years.

This is a stable product and we plan to continue working with it in the future.

This product is scalable and is typically installed on-premises for customers who are small to medium-sized businesses. We have dozens of clients who use it.

Technical support is good and we don't have a problem with it, although they have a shorter support cycle for their products.

We work with several vendors including Dell and HPE. When it comes to Dell, the warranty period is generally longer compared to Cisco.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy to do. It is not complex at all.

It does not take much time to deploy.

Our in-house team deploys this solution to our customers. Not many people are required for deployment. Two people might be used for racking and stacking, and one person for the configuration.

This product is slightly more expensive when compared to others.

What other advice do I have?

We do not deal with the latest version because we find that for rack servers, the previous version is a little better. Manageability is not a big option for this type of server.

Senior Information Technology Manager at a construction company with 201-500 employees
    Feature rich, high computing power, but better redundancy needed
    • "We have many people in my organization using Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers in the administration."
    • "The hard drive of Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers is not very good. I have already replaced three of them."

What is most valuable?

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers have plenty of features and computing and memory power.

What needs improvement?

The hard drive of Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers is not very good. I have already replaced three of them.

I have been using Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers for approximately four years.

While using the Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers for a couple of months, one of my hard drive disks was failing and VM had issues. There was no reason for it to fail, the hard drive was full and I had to replace it. All the data on it can not be restored. They should make some improvements to their hard drives.

The solution could have better reliability and redundancy.

We have many people in my organization using Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers in the administration.

If we want to scale the solution we can add new nodes. It is scalable.

We have approximately 200 users using this solution in my organization.

I have used the support from our partner and we have had a good experience. They did not take very long to support me in my needs.

I would rate the support from the partner a four out of five.

We have a partner that does the maintenance and support of the solution.

The price of the solution could be better when compared to other solutions. However, when we purchased the solution we received Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers in a bundle with other hardware, such as IP phones and networking switches.

I would rate the price of Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers to be a two out of five.

I have had the opportunity to evaluate Lenovo and VxRail.

What other advice do I have?

The solution has a very high-level computer and can be a benefit. I had some issues with hard drive failures but I believe the newer version is better.

I rate Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers a six out of ten.

Effort Moyo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Services Manager at ProComm technologies
    Very stable, easy to use, and highly scalable
    • "It is very stable and easy to use. It integrates easily with Cisco's cloud-based UC solutions. There are tools for management that make the management a bit easier, but we don't use them. We don't use what you would term as power users."
    • "On the contact center and video conferencing, I would definitely like to see more AI features. The AI features are key for us. You will find a lot of them in the cloud-based solution, but in the on-premises solution, they're hardly there. I would like to see the same AI features that are there in the cloud-based Cisco UC."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our IP telephony. We use it for internal communication in terms of making calls, instant messaging, and one-on-one video calling. We also use it when we're working from home remotely. We also use Cisco Jabber as well as Expressway for Firewall Traversal.

In terms of the software, we're using the latest version. In terms of the hardware, we are two generations behind. We simply did a software upgrade on the old hardware.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable and easy to use. It integrates easily with Cisco's cloud-based UC solutions. There are tools for management that make the management a bit easier, but we don't use them. We don't use what you would term as power users.

What needs improvement?

On the contact center and video conferencing, I would definitely like to see more AI features. The AI features are key for us. You will find a lot of them in the cloud-based solution, but in the on-premises solution, they're hardly there. I would like to see the same AI features that are there in the cloud-based Cisco UC.

We've been using it for ten years.

It is a very stable product.

It is highly scalable. We have ten people in our office, and we have deployed it for our use. Our biggest customer has about 4,000 users, but you can scale it to 40,000 users.

We provide technical support ourselves. There are a few instances where we have to refer to a Cisco technical support person.

The installation is straightforward. Normally, the installation takes four to six hours.

We are an integrator. We implement it for ourselves and for customers. It is easy for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Presales Engineer at Telefónica
    Useful for databases, excellent support, and easy setup
    • "The most valuable feature of Cisco UCS C-Series Rack is the use of databases, such as MySQL."
    • "Cisco UCS C-Series Rack could improve by selling storage. Cisco doesn't sell storage, which is a problem because some customers ask for storage. There are several brands in the market, such as HPE, and Dell EMC. However, Cisco doesn't have any storage. This is where the tension comes from buying this solution."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack can be used as an entry-level server for small database servers, and active directory servers, which are to be visualized with VMware.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Cisco UCS C-Series Rack is the use of databases, such as MySQL.

What needs improvement?

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack could improve by selling storage. Cisco doesn't sell storage, which is a problem because some customers ask for storage. There are several brands in the market, such as HPE, and Dell EMC. However, Cisco doesn't have any storage. This is where the tension comes from buying this solution.

If you buy a Dell server, you want Dell storage, if you want HPE, you want HPE storage. Other suppliers sell compatible Cisco storage but not one made by Cisco.

I have been using UCS C-Series Rack Servers for approximately 10 years.

Cisco UCS C-Series Rack is stable.

The scalability of the Cisco UCS C-Series Rack is good.

The support from Cisco UCS C-Series Rack has been very good.

I rate the support from Cisco UCS C-Series Rack a five out of five.

The initial setup of the Cisco UCS C-Series Rack is easy.

To deploy one server, we only need one engineer. For larger deployment, the number of people we need depends on many factors.

The price of the Cisco UCS C-Series Rack could improve. It's a little more expensive in comparison with Dell or HPE solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to purchase this solution is only to purchase what you need because it is an expensive solution. However, they are very good servers.

I rate Cisco UCS C-Series Rack an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022