We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Pavan Kumar Mateti
Owner at SCO`Scope Consulting Private Limited
Good brand recognition, very scalable and very stable
  • "The product's brand recognition is one of the most valuable aspects of the solution."
  • "The initial setup could be a bit less complex."

What is our primary use case?

There are a few use cases. We work, for example, with a telecom that provides end solutions to end users across different countries.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We've just started using the solution, so I don't know if there are any features that are missing. We haven't used it long enough to find any faults.

The initial setup could be a bit less complex.

We only started using the solution a year ago.

The solution is stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. The solution is reliable. It just works.

The solution is scalable.

We have the technical knowledge on our side. We get very little support from Cisco, so we rely mostly on our own team.

We use both Cisco and Juniper.

The solution is complex. It's not straightforward. There's a lot of ways to configure it and they're not straightforward. There are two types of the solution as well, so a person would need to know how to deploy either one.

For us, the solution took two to three days to deploy.

I don't know much about the pricing because, at present, we used some simulators to test the software for clients. The pricing does not always match up with what our lab predictions are. We give information to the customers, and we give them some knowledge about the products and we explain the differences between the different vendors, like Juniper, and other vendors small vendors like Altera Technology. Ultimately, the client decides which vendor they will go with.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. Instead of going to another vendor, it's best to go with Cisco, because Cisco has a level of longevity in the global market.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: consultant
Team Lead Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable, good support, and the link load balancing feature helps maintain site availability
  • "The most valuable features are zero-disk provisioning and link load balancing on an application basis."
  • "The process of onboarding the vSmart, vBond, and vManage should be improved to make it easier to manage in general."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco SD-WAN is one of the products that we implement for our customers. I am a system integrator.

We use this product for zero-disk provisioning at branch offices. The controllers are at a central location and are used to manage the branches.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are zero-disk provisioning and link load balancing on an application basis. In the case of link load balancing, if an application is not working properly on the primary link, it may be fine on the secondary one. This means that if the first link goes down then it may still be accessible, which is a very good feature.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Cisco SD-WAN for one year.

Stability-wise, it is a good product and it works very well.

This is a scalable solution. There are between 1,000 and 1,500 users.

I have been in contact with technical support and my experience with them has been fine.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the scenario, but it usually takes between two and three days to set up.

As a system integrator, I deploy this solution myself.

We need a couple of engineers at headquarters to maintain it, and we don't usually need anybody at the remote sites. Normally, it's plug-and-play.

Licensing is on a subscription basis.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and we plan to continue using it in the future. It is one that I definitely recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,304 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Global Product Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A global scale solution providing an open architecture design with good technical support
  • "We would recommend this solution to customers looking to implement it on a global scale. We recommend the solution, not only because of the functionality or the technical support, but also because of the delivery of the solution, and the docking and upgrading capabilities."
  • "Since Cisco acquired Viptela, the stability of this solution has given problems since it is quite new."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is providing the servicing of this solution globally. Cisco is an experienced vendor, which is the main reason we chose this solution.

What needs improvement?

An area of improvement for this solution is reducing the complexity. Currently, the solution requires people who have a very good understanding of Cisco SD-WAN.

For example, VeloCloud can be used and is easier to understand, but it has limited functionality. It is designed like a block box where the internal architecture is hidden. With Cisco, I can see the inner workings of the architecture. Therefore, it is necessary to have a good understanding of how the solution works in order make full use of it.

An additional feature that should be included in the next release of this solution is the ability to use a local area network (LAN) behind the domain name system (DNS) box. This feature would allow for better communication protocols to be put in place.

I have been using this solution for three years.

The scalability of this solution has given problems in the past since it is quite new.

The customer service/technical support for this solution is very good.

The setup of this solution is both straightforward and complex. For example, the initial setup is simple, but the design and formatting thereafter is very complex.

The pricing of this solution is very expensive.

Head of IT Network Division at Panorinformatika
Feature rich, customizable, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

When I was working at BT Telecom, we used Cisco SD-WAN for IP telephony. In my current position in this company, we use this solution to classify network traffic and send the IP packets to the appropriate link.

What is most valuable?

I have found the solution's main features are its ability to be customized, network traffic classification, and has a wide range of features that can be set.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution scalable. We have approximately 10 clients.

I was…

What is our primary use case?

When I was working at BT Telecom, we used Cisco SD-WAN for IP telephony.

What is most valuable?

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution scalable. We have approximately 10 clients.

I was satisfied with the technical support.

The installation is not easy. If you have experience and it is not your first time doing the installation, it can be easier. Additionally, there are a lot of different parameters to set and you have to know exactly what the parameters do. From this perspective, it is not easy. There are a lot of possibilities to do fine-tuning with the SD-WAN settings.

If you were to set all the parameters all at once it would take a lot of time. It is best to fine-tune them over time. This is not a negative factor, having more options allows flexibility.

I would recommend a system integration company that has the knowledge of how to operate the system to do the implementation.

The price of the solution is the only negative factor, it is much more expensive compared with the Cisco Meraki SD-WAN solution.

I have evaluated Cisco Meraki SD-WAN.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco SD-WAN a ten out of ten.

Cisco Systems at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
An SD-WAN solution with a useful device transfer feature
  • "I like the feature that lets you transfer from old devices to new devices without changing the hardware and subscription."
  • "The price could be better. From a technical side, and everything's working smoothly. Cisco SD-WAN could be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage hospitals and clinics in my country.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our connection and bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

I like the feature that lets you transfer from old devices to new devices without changing the hardware and subscription.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. From a technical side, and everything's working smoothly. Cisco SD-WAN could be cheaper.

I have been using Cisco SD-WAN for about one year.

It's very good and stable compared to the others.

It's scalable. We have around 250 sites around Jordan.

Technical support is good. We don't have any issue with their performance.

The initial setup and deployment were straightforward.

I implemented this solution by myself.

It's expensive. If you compare Cisco with Fortinet and Juniper, you'll find that Cisco is more expensive than other vendors.

We don't have Sympatico or Versa in my country. We just have Cisco, Juniper, and Fortinet. But Fortinet doesn't have complete distribution, and the switching solution is very weak. We needed a solution that integrates with others, and we think that Cisco helped. Fortinet doesn't have all the switches, and they have some issues with statistics. This is why we chose Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to try Cisco and see if they offer more for their enterprise needs. I would recommend Cisco SD-WAN to new users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco SD-WAN a nine.

Private Cloud
Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Allows you to consolidate branch links but lacks flexibility in licensing
  • "SD-WAN is very stable - once it's deployed, you can just forget about it, it runs by itself."
  • "The initial setup was not very straightforward, but it gets easier the more deployments you complete."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to interconnect our branches with the headquarters and interconnect other countries with the hub.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we deployed SD-WAN, we used to have at least two links per branch but could only use one at a time. Now we are able to use all the links together.

What is most valuable?

The best feature about SD-WAN is the ability to consolidate the links to the branch and load-balance the traffic.

What needs improvement?

There should be more flexibility in the licensing. In the next release, I would like Cisco to add all the troubleshooting tools from Viptela to SD-WAN.

I've been using this solution for two years.

This solution is very scalable - the only requirement is to add the licenses for the devices being brought on board.

We used an integrator and Cisco themselves.

When purchasing, there are so many features available that it's quite confusing deciding which to choose. And some of the devices force you to buy licenses you don't want.

What other advice do I have?

As far as deployment is concerned, either get Cisco Professional Services or an integrator to assist, as the person taking lead on deployment needs to have experience with the product. I'd give this product a score of seven out of ten.

Sr. Network Engineer Consulting Services at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Cloud base integrations and low operational overheads

What is our primary use case?

Here in Pakistan, there are few deployments of Cisco SD-WAN. We are trying to push Cisco to our clients. But the issue is that the prices of the competitors are too high. So it's very difficult to capture the market here in Pakistan. As you know, practice in Pakistan, the market is under development and Pakistan is a developing country and they are looking for a cheap solution at a price to achieve in terms of price comparison with other windows.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco SD-WAN improved the productivity of our organization, in terms of ROI and in terms of the resources they require.

What is most valuable?

Good for cloud bases integrations and operational overheads. There is minimum blind space in this solution.

What needs

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The main issue is that not in the technology, but it comes back comparison. When we do a comparison with other SD-WAN solutions, they are priced better. Then on that basis, they conclude to use the other solution.

Cisco SD-WAN is stable. It's scalable and reliable, and robust.

Cisco SD-WAN is scalable. It's scalable and reliable, and robust.

I believe the Cisco technical support as compared to other principles is some of the best support we've ever seen.

The initial setup is the most straightforward part. It takes some time. But then you want to add the other branches, it takes only three to four minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco SD-WAN at an eight out of ten.

Tharanga SKP
Engineer, Enterprise Products at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to centrally manage and the support is responsive
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of central management."
  • "The licensing model needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and we plan to provide a managed service to our customers using this product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of central management. That is the main thing for us.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model needs to be improved.

Sometimes we feel that the choice of models is very limited, so we would like to see additional devices made available.

We have been evaluating Cisco SD-WAN for the past two months.

We have not experienced any issues with stability over the past two months.

We have about 16 users. Because we are just evaluating, we don't have a forecast at this point.

We contacted support because we needed some initial awareness about configuration-related issues.

The initial setup is very difficult. We did not find it easy because we hardly have any experience. This is just the first one that we are setting up.

The costs are a bit on the high side.

We are currently conducting a PoC. We did evaluate two solutions, and Cisco was the one chosen for the proof of concept.

What other advice do I have?

Although we are still in the initial stages, I feel that this is a product that I can recommend. In general, we are satisfied with it.

Download our free Cisco SD-WAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.