Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

CircleCI OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CircleCI is #11 ranked solution in top Build Automation tools. PeerSpot users give CircleCI an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. CircleCI is most commonly compared to Tekton: CircleCI vs Tekton. CircleCI is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is CircleCI?
CircleCI's continuous integration and delivery platform helps software teams rapidly release code with confidence by automating the build, test, and deploy process. CircleCI offers a modern software development platform that lets teams ramp quickly, scale easily, and build confidently every day.
CircleCI Customers
Shopify, Zenefits, Concur Technologies, CyberAgent
CircleCI Video

Archived CircleCI Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user790470 - PeerSpot reviewer
Full Stack Bot Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Seamless build process automation has increased our product velocity significantly
  • "The ability to automate the build process in a seamless way and run workflows effortlessly. It supports parallel builds so it can scale well. Also, it covers the basics of any build and integration tool, including email notifications (especially when tests are fixed), project insights, etc."
  • "Enables us to detect exactly which build failed and why, and to push multiple builds to our production environment at a very fast rate."
  • "Some of the most valuable features include container-based builds, integration with Bit Bucket and being able to store artifacts."
  • "Integration with Microsoft Azure is one area for improvement. Azure is growing in its user base, and supports various cloud infrastructure components such as Service Fabric, App Service, etc. Some of Azure’s deployment models (like Kudu) require a steep learning curve, but if CircleCI would come up with such features (deployment to App Service) out of the box, it would be amazing."

How has it helped my organization?

The first thing that comes to mind is the ability to automate the build process in a seamless way and run workflows effortlessly. It supports parallel builds so it can scale well. Also, it covers the basics of any build and integration tool, including email notifications (especially when tests are fixed), project insights, etc.

For us, this translates to high degree of productivity, ability to detect exactly which build failed and why, and being able to push multiple builds to our production environment at a very fast rate. This has increased the velocity of our product significantly.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features include container-based builds, integration with Bit Bucket (which our organization uses) and being able to store artifacts.

In addition, it has the facility to encrypt environment variables, setup SSH into the build environment, clear caches and, most importantly, is the ability to configure a Circle.yml file which is easy to understand for most users who are not in DevOps, but also for developers.

What needs improvement?

Less than one year.
Build Automation
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about CircleCI, Jenkins, Travis CI and others in Build Automation. Updated: September 2022.
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.

At one point in time, when we were using Winston.js (an asynchronous log transport library), using a console logger on CircleCI would cause builds to fail, which is weird, and which we solved using a hack. However, we didn’t encounter any other stability issues.

No scalability issues.

To be honest, I really didn’t find a need to contact their technical support, partly because our product is simple and easy to configure. We didn’t encounter issues that we had to report to their tech support. We could find most of the answers on their Help portal.

Previously, we were using manual deployment, which was error-prone and subject to a lot of steps. Some other products, such as VSTS build services were either too expensive or too difficult to configure, such as Azure’s Kudu deployment. Hence, we were looking at alternate solutions and found CircleCI which has worked well for us.

The initial setup was straightforward in that it required a simple .yml file where we specify the sequence of steps for building and integration. Also, the scripts to  store artifacts was intuitive.

Jenkins.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the product as a nine out of 10 because it is intuitive, easy to configure using the Circle.yml file, and supports container-based builds. I’m taking off one point out of 10 only because, at the time of using this product, it doesn’t have deep Microsoft Azure integration.

One piece of advice would be to consider which cloud you are going to be building on, and see if CircleCI integrates well with it. Secondly, I would advise you to try out the free version before implementing because sometimes, if the project is simple enough and if it doesn’t have a whole lot of developers (such as in startup environments) there’s no need to get more containers building in parallel.

Senior Automation Test Developer/Automation Test Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It's quite easy to run Selenium tests in it.

What is most valuable?

Since I am an automation developer, I use selenium a lot. It is quite easy to run the tests in circleCI. Without using browserstack or saucelabs or xvfb, circleCI pre-installed chrome/chrome driver and firefox for you. It is quite good.

And it is fast to setup everything. My learning curve of circle is shorter than jenkins and teamcity.

How has it helped my organization?

save our money for buying plans of browserstack or sauce labs

save our time, do not need to setup our own xvfb, selenium grid or other stuff.

What needs improvement?

1. The feature of building CD pipeline as Jenkins: I confirmed with circleCI, this is in their to-do list

2. customized view of the pipeline and builds.

3. different triggers for the build, not only trigger by the github updates

4. If they can provide more examples in the documents? But I can find the examples in the discussion board anyway.

For half year we have used circleCI, then we go back to jenkins. Since the CD pipeline is very important to us. Our current solution is to install xvfb and firefox in the jenkins node.

CircleCI has their strength such as very easy to be used but jenkins are still very powerful, jenkins has so many useful plugins to help deployment.

And since AWS has the code pipeline and our company are moving to AWS, we are using Jenkins + AWS. So we totally got rid of CirclCI this year.

Since it was quite easy to set up the build/job in circleCI.

Very easy to set up.

Jenkins and AWS.

What other advice do I have?

AWS provides more options with Jenkins. Jenkins has plugins to work with AWS. And they are able to achieve more complicated tasks. Such as triggers.