Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Cloud Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management?
BMC's cloud management platform drives digital innovation with agile, full-stack service provisioning across cloud and traditional platforms. BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management scales easily while integrating with essential compliance and governance policies to reduce risk.

BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management was previously known as BMC CLM.

BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Customers
JDA Software, Morningstar, Orange Business Services, Wipro
BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Video

Archived BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Entprssol67 - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Solution Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Helps design blueprints in a cloud environment but the support is a major problem
  • "CLM has a multi-cloud portal because they have the resources to implement in various environments in various ports."
  • "One of the major problems is that support is not so good."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are related to IaaS and PaaS solutions. It's primarily used by DevOps, they use the PaaS solution to implement IBM WebSphere and they want to use the interface for issuing the deployment. They use the CLM platform to implement their DevOps process. CLM is only a part of the project, we have also used Orchestrator and Remedy for workflow process in terms of deployment and release.

We had this project a year ago. My colleagues are on the customer-side to implement new use cases. They only do the maintenance of the infrastructure and implement a process for DevOps. We have stopped the cloud platform at the moment because of BMC, they don't invest anymore on CLM platforms. The customer has asked for a new platform.

What is most valuable?

CLM has a multi-cloud portal because they have the resources to implement in various environments in various ports. It could be used for when you design a blueprint in a cloud environment. Other solutions don't have the capacity to implement a blueprint based on resources that could be run in Azure or in AWS. It's not the same, and it isn't implemented in the same way.

I need to implement a solution, for example, on a server on a LAN. It doesn't matter if it runs on Azure, or in AWS, or in Google, or in my site. And this is a major benefit that CLM has. I think that is the most valuable aspect of this solution.

What needs improvement?

One of the major problems is that support is not so good. I used to have a support expert in Spain but they left two years ago. BMC doesn't invest a lot in network automation but network automation is a major point in CLM. There aren't any experts here in Europe, maybe they have in America, I don't know. The main problem is the support in Europe.

We had a lot of problems with the people who got put on our cases. The agents that we were assigned to were not so capable. They wanted to replicate the problem. If you have an incident, it takes a lot of time to troubleshoot the problem. The incident support is not so good. The technicians don't know the platform well. BMC doesn't want to invest in CLM.

Two years ago we had a lot of problems. Maybe BMC realized that CLM is an end of life product.

We have been using BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management for three years.

Cloud Management
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about BMC, VMware, Oracle and others in Cloud Management. Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have also used the automation solution by BMC.

I don't know if Network Automation is a good solution. It's good enough with CLM but I don't like it very much.

BMC Orchestrator is a good solution. We currently use it for our customers. We also use Remedy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. Not a ten because of the support problems we've experienced. Also, the roadmap for this solution is not clear. I don't know if BMC can support me in the future.

Private Cloud
Infrastructure Operations Manager at Cognizant
Automates Java EE Application Deployment from an SCM system
  • "Assesses change impact or completes an audit using multiple dashboard views."
  • "Integrates role-based access control with pre-configured policies for CIS, DISA, HIPAA, PCI, SOX, NIST, and SCAP documentation and remediation."
  • "Supports unattended installs and image-based, script-based, or template-based provisioning."
  • "Automates Java EE Application Deployment from an SCM system."
  • "Needs integrations with other providers to provide a custom public cloud environment."

What is our primary use case?

Implementing a private cloud in the client environment, which is very secured and managed in-house using the cloud suite along with capabilities, like BMC Capacity Optimization, BMC Database Automation, and Bladelogic Server Automation suite, to manage and use effectively.

How has it helped my organization?

Total build time has been reduced from four weeks to one week, then later to 24 hours.

• Threat remediation: Combine with SecOps to link vulnerabilities to identified patches and create a remediation plan.
  • Compliance: Integrates role-based access control with pre-configured policies for CIS, DISA, HIPAA, PCI, SOX, NIST, and SCAP documentation and remediation.
  • Provisioning: Supports unattended installs and image-based, script-based, or template-based provisioning.
  • Configuration: Consistently manage change and configuration activities across a broad range of server environments with one tool.
  • Reporting: Assesses change impact or completes an audit using multiple dashboard views.
  • Patching: Supports and follows Maintenance Window Guidelines to ensure timely delivery of patches.

What is most valuable?

The BMC Capacity Optimization, BMC Database Automation and Bladelogic Server Automation suite are most valuable products with features of capacity optimization, managing post deploy actions after provisioning along with audit, compliance, and reporting. Here are some of the valuable features for us:

• Assess server software compliance.
  • Automate Java EE Application Deployment from an SCM system.
  • Deploy monitoring agents.
  • Enforce continuous compliance for servers.
  • Manage Java EE applications and infrastructure.
  • Orchestrate change through workflow jobs.
  • Perform probable cause analysis.
  • Report on compliance status and trends.
  • Visualize business service relationships.

What needs improvement?

Integrations with other providers to provide a custom public cloud environment such as AWS, Azure, and IBM SoftLayer.

Three to five years.
Cloud Management
September 2022
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Automation Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Tie together public and private cloud infrastructure into a single pane of glass
  • "You can tie together your public and private cloud infrastructure into a "single pane of glass"."
  • "By allowing end users to request their own services, the request process for systems is much quicker and more accurate."
  • "The installation and configuration can be tricky due to it being built on Remedy."

What is our primary use case?

Automated provisioning from an end user. With CLM, you can tie together your public and private cloud infrastructure into a "single pane of glass".

How has it helped my organization?

• By allowing end users to request their own services, the request process for systems is much quicker and more accurate.
  • Taking the human aspect out of the provisioning process can close gaps in security.

What is most valuable?

Allowing systems to be provisioned in a wide range of environments, such as Azure, AWS, or on-premise, reduces the level of training required as well as creates consistency across the board.

What needs improvement?

The installation and configuration can be tricky due to it being built on Remedy.  Network setup can also be difficult to make sure systems are placed correctly, but once it is setup, there is no need to be an expert to build new offerings.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a consultant who performs installations of the product.
it_user676359 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Specialist with 10,001+ employees
Provides server provisioning with full automation.

What is most valuable?

Server provisioning with full automation.

How has it helped my organization?

We have many regions where more than 10000 servers are deployed. So it helps in patching and hardening of servers.

What needs improvement?

Remedy and Bladelogic server automation, due to its random behavior even if configuration is all good.

We have been using this solution for six years.

Sometimes there are stability issues because of random behavior, even if no change is done on the solutions level.

I think the solution is really scalable. It can handle huge numbers of servers with full network configuration. The only suggestion I have is, if you are implementing this solution, then you must have good experts on CLM. Otherwise, it can cost you a solution failure or huge monetary loss on the licensing part. And yes, going to BMC for PS is not at all recommend from my experience.

Overall, I would give technical support a rating of 7/10. There is hardly anyone in the BMC CLM support team who can help.

The setup wasn't complex since I already had good expertise with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing, a person must have knowledge on solution. Otherwise it will end up as failed solution.

it_user297132 - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It's helped us with our automation, but it needs to be more script-based as some features still require manual uploading.

Improvements to My Organization

It's helped us with our automation.

Room for Improvement

It needs to be more script-based; as of now, there are a few features that still need to be manually uploaded.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

We faced issues with automation as there was a lot of manual work involved. Also, scripting to be added to the network sometimes did not work.

We faced issues as it is highly dependent on the platform in use.

It's not so good.

It was complex as it does not include a good, extensive feasibility and compatibility guide.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team who were average.

ROI

It's slow.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

BMC is OK.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, and BMC is cost effective.